Sports University Daily Kansan / Tuesday, September 2. 1986 11 Transfer just wants to run Snell works way to first string on depth chart By Anne Luscombe He gave up Syracuse to run the ball for Kansas. Arnold Snell, sophomore fullback, says he turned down offers from Western Kentucky and Syracuse because both schools lacked elements he desired. Snell, who was considered one of the most important college running back prospects from the junior college ranks, spurned Western Kentucky because he wanted to play Big Eight football. He passed up Syracuse because the coaching staff wanted to switch him to defensive back. "My senior year, Syracuse was recruiting me heavily, but my grades weren't good enough, so I had to go to a junior college." Snell said yester day. "Then they wanted me to play defensive back, so I decided not to go there." He played both defensive back and fullback in high school, but Snell said he preferred to carry the ball. Head coach Bob Valezone is trying to improve KU's running game. Last season the Jayhawks ranked sixth in the Big Eight and 83rd out of 105 Division I schools, averaging 122.3 yards a game. Lynn Williams was Kansas' leading rusher last year gaining only 373 yards. While at Independence, Snell was named an honorable mention ALL-American as a kick and punt returner. He was coached by Kansas Snell, a transfer from Independence Community College, is listed as the starting fulback on the New England Air in front of spring Mark Henderson. Although he is new to the Kansas system, Shell's performance has received good reviews from Valesente and running back coach Paul "Rocky" Alt. He is expected to be an important contributor to the Kansas running and passing games, the coaches said. "He cuts extremely well." Valesa said. "He sees the field and has the ability to pick up the holes. He has good natural instincts and speed. He can burst to the hole and explode through it." Kansas fullback Jake Snell, a transfer student from Independence Community College, is listed first on the KU depth chart. He suffered a mid concussion early in Saturday's scrimmage at Memorial Stadium but returned to practice yesterday. Warm reception greets third-place Travellers By Ric Anderson Balloons, trees full of toilet paper and a sign that read. "We love the Travellers" adorned the parking lot at the Maupintour Travel Agency Corporate Headquarters, 1515 St. Andrews Drive last night. Sports writer The decorations were placed there by parents and fans to welcome back the Maupintour Travellers, the Lawrence semi-professional baseball team that took third place Sunday in the Stan Musial! Semi-Pro World Series at Battle Creek, Mich. Team members said they were glad to be back in Lawrence. "I would have liked to have played in the finals." Paul Henry, Travellers pitcher, said. "But it's been a great season." Henry said that while no one expected the Travelers to win their regional tournament, teamwork pulled them through. "Everybody on the team was a team player." Henry said "On some teams, individuals are doing their own thing, but it wasn't like that on this team. Everybody just pulled together." Walt Houk, Travellers' manager, agreed. "We played well, all through the lineup," he said. "We had good pitching, good hitting and good defense." Houk said the team's accomplishment was even greater because most of the competition it played during post-season were all-star teams made up of the best players of each region. "We stayed with the team we had all year during tournament play." Houk said. The Travellers beat Wichita Falls, Texas, to win the South Plains regional tournament and to win a berth in the 51st World Series. Upon reaching Battle Creek, they won their opening game against Nashville, Teenn, the defending champions. A loss to Battle Creek, Mich., put them in the loser's bracket of the doubleelimination tournament. They battled back to beat Los Angeles and clinch at least fourth place. A loss to Toledo, Ohio, put them out of the tournament with a 2-2 record. Maupintour's record tied them with Nashville, but since Travellers defeated Nashville, they got third place. The Travellers finished the season 3410. "It's been a rewarding season," Hook said. "Any time you take first in the regional and third in the World Series it's a pretty good year." Henry said playing with the Travellers had opened up opportunities for him. Between 18 and 20 scout were in the stands at Bailey Park, the home of the World Series, Thursday night when he pitched his winning game. Henry said he was glad to have played against the semi-pro competition, which included both exprofessional and college players. Bo wants to forget football "It was a good summer," he said. "With college players you never can tell about next year, but going to the World Series this year might be enough to make me come back." The Associated Press KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Bo Jackson officially became a major leaguer yesterday. He said he's stale with his baseball progress and tired of talking about football. "Football is out of the question," said Jackson, who was held out of last night's game because of a pulled hamstring. Jackson shocked most of the sports world this summer when he spurned a $7 million offer from the National Football League's Tampa Bay Bucaneers to sign with the Kansas City Royals, who gambled by picking him in the fourth round of baseball's draft in June. After a slow start, the right-handed hitter batted. 277 with seven home runs and 25 runs batted in in 53 games at Class AA Memphis of the Southern League. He was one of four minor leaguers recalled by the Royals yesterday when major league rosters expanded to 40 players. He was the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft after reaching for more than 1,500 yards and winning the Heisman Trophy in his senior year at Auburn. He said he had no idea when he would be ready to play with the Royals. "I'm not going out there until I'm 100 percent," he said. "I do know that when I'm ready, I'll be playing somewhere." Royals interim Manager Mike Ferraro said he would put Jackson into the lineup as soon as Jackson said he was ready. "Bo will know before anybody else, and I'll just wait for him to tell me," Ferraro said. After signing for a $200,000 bonus in June, Jackson left many observers slack-jawed with the towering home runs he hit in a week of batting practice in Royals Stadium. He had only four hits in his first 45 at-bats at Memphis but batted .338 over the rest of the season. He said he was never frustrated with the weak start. "I always get off to a slow start. I did every year in college," said Jackson, who also played baseball at Auburn. "I knew it was going to take me awhile to get going. All it took was patience. You get up and see the ball. You take your hacks. There were no surprises." He insisted he felt no pressure to prove anything with his first look at major-league pitching. "I'm not going to rush anything, I'm just going to be a patient person and wait," he said. "I'm here to play ball, I'm here to try to help the team, that's all." Houston beats Cubs United Press International CHICAGO — Jose Cruz homered and Denny Walling hit a two-run double to highlight a four-run sixth inning yesterday, leading the Houston Astros to a 6-4 victory over the Chicago Cubs. Danny Darwin, 1-1, pitched six innings for his first National League victory. Charlie Kerfeld pitched two innings and Dave Smith recorded the final three outs for his 28th save. Ed Lynch, 4-4, took the loss. New York 5, San Francisco 2 NEW YORK — Mookie Wilson singled in Wally Backman from second base, igniting a three-run eighth innning yesterday and giving the New York Mets a 5-2 victory over the San Francisco Giants. St. Louis 5, Atlanta 2 ATLANTA — John Morris singled home Terry Pendleton with the go-ahead run during a four-run ninth yesterday leading the St. Louis Cardinals to a 5-2 victory over the Atlanta Braves. Cincinnati 6, Pittsburgh 7 Montreal 7, Los Angeles 6 and Nick Esasky hit his 10th homer leading the Cincinnati Reds to a 6-5 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates. CINCINNATI — Ted Power pitched a one-hitter over six innings MONTREAL — Tom Foley's bases-leaded single scored Tim Raines from third base with the winning run in the bottom of the ninth inning, leading the Montreal Expos to a 7-6 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers. Jeff Reardon, 7-8, pitched 1 1-3 innings for the victory, despite yielding a game-tying homer to rookie Ralph Bryant in the top of the ninth. Toronto edges Tribe for 9th straight win With two out in the eighth, Padres reliever Craig Lefferts, 7-6, walked Redus. Redus stole second and moved to third when Milt Thompson hit a soft tapper to second baseman Bip Roberts, whose threw to first was in the dirt. PHILADELPHIA — Von Hayes' two-out bloop double scored Gary Redus in the eighth inning yesterday, lifting the Philadelphia Philies to their sixth straight victory, a 5-4 triumph over the San Diego Padres. Philadelphia 5. San Diego 4 MINNEAPOLIS — Gary Gaetti drove home five runs with a pair of runs and Tim Laudner added a solo homer as the Minnesota Twins rolled to a 9-3 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers. Baltimore 9, California 3 The winning streak ties a Blue Jayss record set last year. Toronto has won 15 of its last 18 games. Minnesota 9, Milwaukee 3 TORONTO — Lloyd Moseby's ninth inning single with the bases loaded yesterday lifted the Toronto Blue Jays to their ninth straight victory, a 5-4 triumph over the Cleveland Indians. ANAHEIM, Calif. — Eddie Murray, John Shelby and Fred Lynn hit home runs yesterday, leading the Baltimore Orioles to an 9-3 triumph over the California Angels. Detroit 6, Seattle 5 United Press International SEATTLE — Alan Trammell drove in three runs with two homers and a double, offsetting a three-homer effort by Jim Presley, and helping the Detroit Tigers snap a four-game losing Boston, which has held first place in the American League East since May 15, maintained it $3 \%$ game lead over Toronto, which defeated Cleveland earlier in the day. BOSTON — Tony Armas hit a three-run double in the third inning last night, leading the Boston Red Sox to a 6-4 victory over the Texas Rangers. Presley, who has 24 homers this season, homered to right with one out in the eighth to close the gap to 6-5. The Seattle third baseman also hit a two-run homer to right in the second, and a solo shot to center in the fourth. All three homers came off Jack Morris, 16-8 streak with a 6-5 victory over the Seattle Mariners. OAKLAND, Calif. — Jose Canceo stroked four hits, including his 20th homer, and drove in two runs, pushing his major league leading RBI total to 101. The Oakland A's hung on last night for a 94 victory over the New York Yankees. Oakland 9. New York 8 Bannister continues mastery of Royals Boston 6, Texas 4 United Press International KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Easing back on the throttle has made Floyd Bannister one of the toughest pitchers in the American League. The decision improved Bannister's season record to 9-10 while the record of fellow left-hander Charlie Leibrandt, who started for Kansas City, fell to 11-11. Bannister, who has beaten the Royals more often than any other team, is 3-0 against Kansas City this season. A week after the first 1986 victory, he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee and missed about a month of action. Bannister recorded the 100th victory of his career last night, leading the Chicago White Sox to a 4-0 victory over the Kansas City Royals. Bannister had little success when he came back. He said it was because he was pitching too hard. He had the same problem yesterday, he said But Frank White flew out, and the Royals advanced only one more runner as far as second as Bannister pitched his fifth complete game in eight starts. That was the only inning in which he had a problem. The Royals got a runner to third when Hal McRae reached on a two-out error and moved up on Steve Balboni's triple. "I was in trouble in the first inning because I was overthrowing the ball a little bit," he said. "You've got to give Bannister credit," he said. "He's pitched two excellent ballgames against us "He's a different kind of pitcher now," said White Sox Manager Jim Fregost. "He sinks the ball now and uses his changeup." Kansas City interim manager Mike Ferraro agreed. "I think overall after the surgery on my knee, I just needed to get my rhythm back. When I did that, my confidence started to come back," he said. Bannister admits he is a different pitcher "I'm trying to hit more location — trying to throw to the glove instead of worrying about the bitter." Russ Morman, from the Kansas City suburb of Independence, Mo., gave Bannister the lead with a second-imming single that drove in Carlton Fisk. The White Sox scored two times in the third inning. Darryl Boston tripled home one run and Reid Nichols singled in the other. Chicago got its final run in the ninth inning when John Cangelosi doubled. Fisk followed with a runscoring single to chase Leibrandt. Looking for open ground Kansas tailback Mike Rogers breaks through the line and looks downlead during a controlled scrimmage at Memorial Stadium. The scrimmage was Saturday. Head coach Bob Valesente said quarterback Mike Orth and wide receiver Wille Vaughn stood out in the scrimmage. Vaughn caught a 44-yard touchdown pass, and Orth completed nine of 18 passes. From Kansan wires KANSAS CITY. Mo — Running back Ethan Horton, the No. 1 draft choice of the Kansas City Chiefs last season, was among five players cut yesterday as the team reduced its roster to the National Football League's regular season limit of 45. The Chiefs also cut linebacker Calvin Damels, a fifth year veteran - who started every game the last two seasons. Others released were defensive lineman Gary Baldinger, wide receiver Emile Harry and defensive back Lupe Sanchez. Former Kansas star Frank Seurer made the team as the No. 3 quarterback behind starter Todd Blackledge and backup Bill Kenney. Seurer played two seasons with the USFL's Los Angeles Express, then was cut by the Seattle Seahawks last year in his first trat at the NFL. The actions leave Kansas City with 15 new faces — either first-year players or players obtained in draft-day trades — for Sunday's regular season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals. After leading the Atlantic Coast Conference in rushing his last two seasons at North Carolina. Horton was a disappointment as a rookie with the Chiefs, gaining only 146 yards on 48 carries, with three touchdowns. He caught 28 passes, including five each in two games, for 185 yards and a touchdown. The Cinehs had been hoping for Horton to come into his own this year but he had a lackluster exhibition season, carrying 32 times for 98 yards and two touchdowns.