Sweet harmony A local group that's been blending tones for years is doing more than doo-wop these days. The Harmonic Function is featured in the new pullout Entertainment & Arts section that debuts today. Story, page A1 Diamond in the rough Quigley Field, the home of the Jayhawk baseball team, will get it's first face-lift since it was built almost 30 years ago. The project should boost attendance and help recruitment programs, officials say. Story, page 9 High smileage Today will bring more of the same mild weather, but temperatures will nudge toward the high 80s. The outlook for the holiday weekend is good as well. Details, page 3 Vol. 97, No. 6 (USPS 650-640) THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Published since 1889 by the students of the University of Kansas Friday August 29, 1986 Jesse Jackson to make KU appearance Jesse Jackson By ALISON YOUNG Staff writer The Rev. Jesse Jackson will speak at the University of Kansas before the end of the semester, David Epstein, student body president, said yesterday. Epstein said that Jackson, a political activist and former presidential candidate, in June had accepted an offer to speak at KU, but that no date for the speech had been set. Jackson stated in his acceptance letter that the visit would be part of a planned tour of universities across the country in late October and early November. Jackson and his spokesmen could not be reached for comment. Student Senate and Student Union Activities are organizing Jackson's visit. Last spring Epstein and the SUA Forums Committee each invited Jackson to speak at KU. Jackson accepted SUA's offer and declined Student Senate's. However, after Jackson accepted SUA's invitation, the organization did not have enough money to bring him to KU, said Stephanie Quincy, Student Senate Executive Committee chairman and an organizer of the event. Quincy said the Senate would use funds from the University Lecture Series to pay Jackson's honorarium, which is between $10,000 and $15,000, plus expenses. This lecture series was established in the spring by an initial $25,000 allocation from the Senate. The University Lecture Series Board will have to approve expenditures for Jackson's visit before the money can be committed, but Quincy said she did not anticipate any problems. quency is working with Victor Osmolak, SUA Forums Committee chairman, to finalize arrangements. "We are in touch with Jackson's people, but nothing is confirmed," said Quiney. Osmolak said Jackson had accepted the invitation to speak at KU on the conditions that his speech will be an all-University function and that Lawrence civic and religious leaders be invited to any receptions or events that are planned. He also specified that the speech needed to be sponsored by a coalition of several student organizations. Epstein said he thought organizations that wanted to sponsor the speech would be easy to find. day," he said. Quincy said three organizations already had indicated interest in sponsoring the speech, but she declined to specify which ones. years, Quincy said. Jackson's appearance would be the first to be sponsored by the University Lecture Series, an organization created, in part, to compete with Kansas State University's well-known Landon Lecture Series, Quincy said. "The Landon Lecture Series at KState has shown us up for years and years," Quincy said. "The Senate administration is in contact with a number of other prominent national figures who have expressed interest in speaking at KU," Quincy said. In addition to Jackson, Quincy said, this lecture series may bring other prominent speakers. Strike by tin miners in Bolivia prompts state of seige decree The Associated Press LA PAZ, Bolivia - President Victor Paz Estenssoro, accusing labor unions of trying to overthrow his government, imposed a state of siege in Bolivia yesterday and sent soldiers to break up a rowdy 125-mile march on the capital by 5,000 striking tin miners. More than 100 people, including political activists, union leaders and journalists, were reportedly arrested. Police also took over the nation's airports to halt a plan by workers to disrupt flights in what would have been a simultaneous strike to press for higher wages. Jet fighters streaked over the capital for an hour beginning at 7 a.m. as radio stations read the decree announcing the state of siege, the second in less than a year. The government also warned news agencies it can shut down media outlets officials think are "twisting the facts or disseminating information considered alarming." Bolivia's 20,000 tin miners went on strike Aug. 18 to protest Paz Estenssoro's plan to close down half of Bolivia's state-run tin mines because of dropping prices. The decree said the clampdown was declared to crush a state of subversion caused by striking workers trying to carry out a violent plan to overthrow the government. About 5,000 of the miners began a 125-mile march Aug. 21 from Oruro north to La Paz and were scheduled to arrive in La Paz tomorrow. Soldiers and police circled an encampment of at least 2,000 of the striking miners near the village of Calamaraca, 50 miles south of La Paz, witnesses said, but reporters were banned from approaching. The rest of the marching miners were at nearby encampments. Soldiers who surrounded the mining encampment near Calamarca began loading women and children onto trucks to return to their homes in Oruro in the heart of Bolivia's mining region, and the miners themselves were to be moved back later. Information Minister Herman Antelo said journalists from entering (the en-campment) because the zone is an area of military operations," he said. U. S. Embassy spokesman Mark Jacobs said that about 170 U.S. troops who arrived July 14 for unprecedented joint raids with a Bolivian strike force against cocaine processing facilities played no part in the crackdown. The troops "do not have anything to do with the internal situation of Bolivia." Jacobs said. Squads of police arrested at least 50 union members and political leaders in La Paz, Santa Cruz, Cochabamba, Pasos, Potosí and Trinidad, the Roman Catholic-owned Radio Fides reported. There are strict orders to prevent Union members said police arrested 55 workers at the private electric utility in La Paz who were on the seventh day of a hunger strike for better wages. Police also reportedly arrested Gonzalo Quirga, a columnist for the opposition newspaper Hoy, and Andres Soliz, the correspondent for the French news service Agence France Press who also heads a group opposed to the presence of U.S. soldiers in Bolivia. Family members said police arrested leaders of the powerful Bolivian Workers Central labor coalition and two prominent Communist Party leaders, one of them, Hort Grebe, a former government minister. The government decree bans public gatherings and marches and prohibits the carrying of weapons. Groups of more than two people are prohibited on city streets between midnight and 6 a.m. The head of Bolivia's Roman Catholic Church, Monsignor Julio Terrazas, urged the miners to stay calm and return to their jobs in a message broadcast on Radio Fides. The sudden crackdown was the second time Paz Estenssoro, 78, has used force to smash labor unrest since he came to office almost 13 months ago. Paz Estenssoro, who heads a centrist political faction, declared a 90-day state of siege Sept. 19, 1985, and sent some 300 labor leaders into temporary exile in two steamy northern jungle towns to end a crippling national strike. John and Lorranne Lindstrand of Raytown, Mo., look through props and other material from the sets of "Nice Girls Don't Explode." Filming of the movie, directed by Chuck Martinez and produced by KU graduate Doug Curtis, ended Wednesday in Lawrence. The items were sold yesterday at 944 Kentucky St. Fred Sadowski/KANSAN Accounts without fee to vanish By BRIAN SNYDER Staff writer By the end of next month, students, faculty, administrators and their relatives no longer will be able to receive free checking in Lawrence. The only financial institution to offer free checking, the Air Defense Center Federal Credit Union, will suspend the service later next month, the branch manager said yesterday. Earlier this month, the credit union's board of directors decided to charge for checking services because of increasing costs, said Sharon Gauger, the manager. "The number of checking accounts has been increasing for three years," Gaugel said. "The costs of processing checks and interest payments are too high." Officials at the credit union said the company now handled 7.200 checking accounts, but they did not know how much the account total had increased during the last three years. Gauger said she could not say how much the processing cost. The credit union is notifying members of the change by mailing a message with their next bank statements, Gauglier said. She said the credit union had not lost any members because of the change. The board of directors for the credit union also has considered charging for travelers checks and money orders, but a decision has not been reached. Gauley said. On checking accounts, the credit union will charge $1 a month if a person's account balance is $300 or more. If a person's balance is from $100 to $300, the charge will be $2. The credit union will charge $3 a month if a balance is $99 or less. The credit union, which exclusively serves KU students, faculty, administration and their relatives still will be able to compete with other checking services, she said. The credit union still will not require that members have a minimum balance in their checking accounts, and all accounts will draw interest. Heather Hiatt, Englewood, Colo., junior and member of the ADC Federal Credit Union, said she was unhappy with the news. The cheeking service isn't the only change for the ADC Federal Credit Union. The branch at Carnruth-O'Leary Hall was closed Wednesday, leaving the lone branch office at 603 W. 9th St. "I'm not pleased," Hiatt said, "but it's not that big of a drawback considering it still a better deal than other places in town." 'Nice Girls' explode into garage sale By BILL RAYNOLDS Staff writer For sale: artificial flowers, several cans of paint, stuffed bears, a pink headboard adorned with ducks, a toilet and several ammunition boxes, all strenu across a front lawn. Two months of filming the movie in Lawrence ended Wednesday, and the Yesterday, several KU students from Mark Syverson's Introduction to the Film Medium class sold props from the movie "Nice Girls Don't Explode." It was, as the cardboard sign above the office at 944 Kentucky St. read, a "Nice Girls" sale. sale was designed to put money back into the movie's $1 million production budget. Patty Grit, Salina senior and one of the salespeople, said the group's goal was to sell $300 worth of props. "Some people want to have a prop from a major movie," said Greg Lederer, Chicago senior and one of the prop-sellers. He said the group had sold a sink for $10 and a dresser for $20. "We're going to be stars," Lederer said, because he and the other student salesmen will be included in the film credits. Chuck Martinez directed the movie and KU graduate Doug Curtis produced it, according to Bob Stein, the film's production manager. "It's a comedy about an overprotective mom (Mary Flowers) who is trying to insulate her 18-year-old daughter (April Flowers) from the real world, especially with regard to men and sexuality." Stein said. "Mary tells April that if she hangs around men, her hormones will cause an explosion." Lederer said, "Every time the daughter goes out with a man, things explode mysteriously." Stein said about 15 KU students had worked as production assistants with Tim Rebman, Republican City, Neb. graduate student in theatre and media arts, worked on the set as a lead man for the art department. Rebman said his job was to obtain props for the set as specified by the art and design directors. the movie's camera, lighting and sound crews and as production assistants for the prop and art crews. "The hours were grueling, and I worked 16 hours in the average work day." he said. "I had two days off in eight weeks of work." Rebman said that most of his previous work had been small-scale video productions. Misunderstandings sink KU. K-State canoe race By SALLY STREFF Some KU residence hall dwellers were looking forward to the renewal of a fall tradition this year — an annual canoe race on the Kaw River from Manhattan to Lawrence. Raw river rafters. They had thrown down the gauntlet. Their rivals — Kansas State University residence halls. However, no canoes will hit the water because of what some KU students are calling a misunderstanding. Staff writer "We're really disappointed," said Bruce Miller, Fern Creek Ky., senior and treasurer of the Association of University Residence Halls. "It's a great way to get the floor together, to get to know each other. $ ^{1} $ Miller said KU and K-State students had decided to share the work. Each group was responsible for obtaining landowners' permission to stop at checkpoints along the river. KU was responsible for eight of the checkpoints and K-State for 10. Miller had suggested in April that the two universities' residence hall organizations plan a canoe race. Since the late 1960s, K-State had organized an annual two-day event but did not organize it last year. Miller spent about 10 days traveling along the route asking landowners whether canoese could stop on their land. He also worked with K-State students to decide on rules and set a date for the race. However, a "mishandle during" the proposed date of the race stopped it before it When Miller and Drew Blossom, Topeka senior and AURH president, met with K-State students in April, both groups agreed that the race should take place on a weekend when neither K-State nor KU had a home football game. Unfortunately, that was easier said than done. At the meeting, Miller and Blossom did not have a schedule of KU's home football games. Miller said he had told the K-State students K-State representatives agreed to the change but told Miller and Blossom at a During the summer, Siebes said, KU students told her that a KU home game was scheduled that day and asked that the race be moved to Sept. 6 and 7. over the summer that KU had five home football games on consecutive Saturdays, starting on Sept. 13th. He said he suggested the race should be on the weekend of Sept. 6 Jennifer Siebes, treasurer of K-State's Association of Residence Halls, said that during the April meeting, the two groups had decided on the weekend of Sept. 20 — a date that Blossom said was not decided upon in April. Siebs added a piece of land owned by a corporation was the main stumbling block. Kerri Weddle, president of K-State's ARH, said she and three others had worked nights trying to get the race arranged after the date was changed to Sept. 6. She said K-State students decided late Monday morning that they could not get things finished in time. "We went to a lot of trouble to get this thing off," Weddle said. "We felt really bad it didn't work out." meeting Sunday that they were having trouble contacting landowners. Deb Stafford, assistant director of residential programs at KU, said she was notified Monday morning.