2 University Daily Kansan Nation/World Wednesday. August 20. 1986 News Briefs Picasso painting found in railway station locker MELBOURNE, Australia — Picasso's missing $1.2 million "Weeping Woman" was found undamaged in a railway station locker yesterday, 17 days after self-styled "cultural terrorists" stole the masterpiece and threatened to destroy it. The thieves had demanded a ransom in the form of increased government financing to the arts. The government did not increase arts financing. P police said officers discovered the painting, measuring 22 inches by 18 inches, after an anonymous telephone caller to a Melbourne newspaper said that it could be found in locker No. 227 at the Spencer Street Station. The painting was wrapped in brown paper and tied with string, officials said. Officers carried it to a police forensic laboratory where National Gallery director Patrick McCaughey confirmed that it was the masterpiece and said it appeared undamaged. A police spokesman said a note was left in the locker with the painting but refused to disclose its contents. Detective Sgt. Bob Quigely said the parcel was placed in the locker less than 24 hours before its discovery because the compartments are cleared daily. He said forensic scientists examined the painting and note in an attempt to lead them to the thieves. Police reward seatbelt wearers The ticket, however, won't mean a trip to court, but will be good for a trip to Disneyland or dozens of other prizes. FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Motorists caught buckling up in Fort Collins face the prospect of getting a ticket from police. To encourage greater use of seat belts, the Fort Collins Police Department plans to hand out up to 5,000 green tickets to drivers caught wearing their seat belts. "The driver gets a card and everybody else in the car who's wearing their seat belt gets a coupon for a hot dog or an ice cream cone," said Lt. Jay Davis, who is in charge of the program. Japanese scholar faces expulsion NEW YORK — A Japanese scholar held for deportation because of his role in a 1968 anti-Vietnam War protest in Japan was told yesterday that he had three days to leave the United States or be expelled. Lawyers for Choichiro Yatani, 40, a psychology instructor and doctoral student at State University at Stony Brook on Long Island, vowed to fight the deportation order and threatened to sue the government if he was not released. Immigration Judge Howard Cohen extended the expulsion deadline from midnight Monday until midnight Friday and scheduled a hearing for Friday afternoon over the objections of Immigration and Naturalization Service attorney Daniel Meisner. Yatani was convicted in 1970 and sentenced to probation for his participation in the 1968 anti-Vietnam War protest co-sponsored by his student organization. But he has never been a member of a communist group, said Arthur Helton, his lawyer. When Yatiun applied to come to the United States in 1977, the INS had granted him a waiver, allowing him to enter the country despite what the government termed his "subversive" role. Yatani has been held at the INS detention center in Manhattan since July 7 when he returned to the country from an academic conference in Amsterdam. Customs Service officials arrested Yatani at Kennedy Airport because his name appeared on an immigration service list of persons who can be denied entry, officals said. The State Department revoked his visa July 21 because, they said, he had been a member of a communist organization in Japan. The immigration service then decided to deport him. "The case is very unusual because it is not very often you find someone with such strong ties to the community facing deportation." Helton said. Helton said the State Department violated the law by not giving Yatani time to appeal the decision before being jailed. 'Squaw squad' fights worst fires GARDEN VALLEY, Idaho — "Be tough squaws!" Benrita Burnett urged her 18-member, all-female Apache firefighting crew as they grabbed field rations and set out for the fire lines after a few hours rest at the base camp. ine female crew, Fort Apache No. 2, is one of the Bureau of Indian Affairs' elite teams that is called in to battle the worst fires in the West. Burnett has been with the crew five years and has no trouble recruiting new members. At least 50 women have applications on file. "The job situation on the reservation doesn't offer much," she said. "This is an opportunity to make some money." Janice Massey has been fighting fires for 10 years. She said she had joined right out of high school. Firefighting is her summer job. She is a teacher's aide during the school year. Most of the women, who are between ages 19 and 40, are married and have children. When summoned to fires, they may be away from home for weeks at a time. Saturday night, after a hot meal and a few hours sleep in the camp, the crew returned to the fire lines in the back of a 5-ton truck. They didn't expect to get back to camp again until yesterday. Jocita Williams said she had joined the fire crew five years ago for a challenge. When she isn't fighting fires, she is working 10 hours a day thinning out ponderosa pines with a chain saw on the reservation. Deficit to pass limit, experts say WASHINGTON — The federal budget deficit will be $163.4 billion next fiscal year — almost $20 billion more than the Gramm-Rudman balanced budget law allows, administration and congressional economic experts said yesterday. In a joint report issued by the administration's Office of Management and Budget and the Congressional Budget Office, experts said the deficit for the fiscal The excess deficit means Congress would have to reduce the red ink by October or face a politically unpleasant vote on spending cuts — before it leaves to campaign for the November elections. The report from CBO Director Rudolph Penner and OMB Chief James Miller was sent to congressional budget leaders, who will move next month toward cutting the deficit. year beginning Oct. 1 was $19.4 billion more than the $144 billion limit set by Gramm-Rudman. If Congress does not act, the report said, military spending would have to be reduced by 5.6 percent and most other domestic programs by 7.6 percent to comply with the balanced budget law. Final congressional action on spending bills has been put off until Congress returns from its summer recess next month. Among the bills to be considered is a deficit reduction bill that would cut about $7.3 billion. Some budget experts have suggested increasing that sum to meet Gramm-Rudman's targets. But the joint report said the bill's current savings were inadequate. Congressional efforts to cut the deficit still might get a boost from the tax reform bill passed by Senate and House conferences this weekend. Congress has a month to avert the across-the-board cuts. Under Gramm-Rudman, another report on the economy is due in October. If lawmakers are then within $10 billion of the target, no cuts will be required. At a news conference, Archbishop James A. Hickey of Washington and the Rev. William J. Byron, chancellor and president of the pontifical Catholic University of America, defended the Vatican's position that the Rev. Charles Curran "is not suitable nor eligible to teach Catholic theology." Blast kills 1, hurts 13 in London LONDON — An explosion yesterday ripped through a four-story building housing an Iranian news vendor and an employment agency, killing one person and injuring 13 in a fashionable London district. Authorities were unable to immediately determine the cause of the blast. Police initially said they thought the blast that shook downtown Kensington High Street, a busy shopping thoroughfare, was caused by a gas explosion. The explosion occurred more than 100 yards from Kensington Palace, the London home of Prince Charles and Princess Diana who are on vacation in Scotland, and about 300 yards from the Iranian consulate. However, they sent in an anti-terrorist squad to check for bomb evidence after hearing reports that two men were seen running from the building at the time of the explosion. Hickey said he initiated the process to withdraw Curran's "ecclesiastical license" to teach Catholic theology but assured Curran he would follow church due process procedures. While both church leaders defended the Vatican decision, they praised Curran "as a person, priest and theologian." Curran, who was informed of the church decision Monday, has two weeks to decide whether or not to invoke due process procedures aimed at overturning the Vatican declaration. The blast wrecked the ground floor and basement and severely damaged the offices of the Abbatt Employment agency unstairs. Fourteen people were injured in the explosion, police said. Most were treated for minor injuries or shock. His views also differ from the church's views about when life begins and the possible morality of homosexual relationships. Hickey said the investigation of Curran's views prompted the Vatican to conclude that a number of Curran's writings conflicted with the teaching of the church. Curran, one of the most respected Catholic scholars in the field of sexual ethics, has differed from the church on a number of issues. He supports the use of artificial birth control, and refuses to call sterilization "intrinsically evil." Priest may fight his demotion A man in his mid-20s, who was taken to Charing Cross Hospital, died from injuries, a hospital spokesman said. His name was being withheld until relatives could be notified. Police said the amount of debris made it difficult to quickly determine the cause of the explosion. WASHINGTON — U.S. church officials, ordered by the Vatican to strip a priest of his rank as official teacher of Catholic doctrine for dissenting on sex issues, said yesterday that the case might be a lengthy one. Women limit careers. studv savs NEW YORK - Since 1911, three-quarters of the female graduates of a high school for the intellectually talented did not consider themselves gifted and therefore chose mediocre jobs, a published report said yesterday. The 1,250 woman surveyed, were graduates of Hunter College High School. Despite having IQs of 130 or higher, the women did not feel exceptional, a report by a University of Southern California education professor said "If women don't recognize their potential, they cannot fulfill it," said the professor, Betty Walker. "Sometimes gifted women stop themselves before they take that extra step — because they still believe they are there only to support men and children and be the comfort-giver, their own interests take a back seat." Graduates from the 1950s and earlier who chose careers went into traditional women's fields such as teaching, social work and library science. Walker said the women limited their career choices because their teachers or parents hadn't encouraged them to branch into other fields. So the women chose fields they considered to be women's work, Walker said. In contrast to the report's assertion of a limited self-image, Walker said, 80 percent of the women interviewed were aware of the women's movement. They also were aware that the professional world was opening up new career opportunities for women. In addition, those interviewed said that they had a greater respect for other women and knew that they had the ability to create a more equitable relationship with their spouses, she said. Now on Sale AN UNCOMMON COMPANY Shift into higher gear Nothing but the music Nothing but the music $395 We're driving hard deals C. D. Players at $699 - $995 - $1375 - $1695 YAMAHA Affordable innovative technology YAMAHA AUDIO/VIDEO Save Now . . . Receivers at $248 - $329 - $488 - $649 - $845 25th & Iowa Lawrence,KS (9-13)842-1811