THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14.2002 NEWS THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN • 9A DEADLY STORMS Tenn. declared disaster area The Associated Press MOSSY GROVE, Tenn. President Bush declared 16 Tennessee counties disaster areas yesterday, freeing millions in federal aid for a state that lost 16 people in weekend tornadoes that cut a deadly path across five states. Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Joe Allbaugh brought the news to still-dazed victims in this mountain community 40 miles northwest of Knoxville. "You are brave souls," said Allbaugh, who spoke with Bush by telephone as he walked amid the mud and smoke from burning debris in what was once a neighborhood of two dozen brick houses and trailers. The tornado demolished half of them. Mike Williams, 24, who lost his father and grandmother in the storm, said he was thinking only about cleaning up the rubble of his father's home. "That is really the last thing on my mind right now," Williams said of the federal aid, "but I am glad that they care." State and federal assessment teams were also checking damage in Alabama, Mississippi and Ohio, where the storms also claimed lives. In all, 35 people were killed in the storms. The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency said more than 1,200 homes were damaged and 117 others were destroyed. At least 15 public buildings and 43 businesses also were damaged. State Farm Insurance Co., one of the major carriers in the state, had nearly 1,500 claims for homes and 2,300 claims for autos in Tennessee. Spokesman Bill Wright said he placed the value of State Farm claims alone at $29.5 million. Seven people were killed Sunday in surrounding Morgan County by a F3-rated tornado, with winds up to 200 mph, that cut a path four miles long and up to a half-mile wide. Five of the victims died in Mossy Grove. Allbaugh and Gov. Don Sundquist arrived by helicopter in a field next to New Life Apostolic Church, where 80 parishioners had gathered for Sunday night services when the storm struck. "We grabbed our kids, threw them under the pews and everybody from the littlest kid who could talk to the oldest person in the building began praying," said Michelle Pemberton, 38, the minister's wife. "And the Lord kept his hand upon us." The church was damaged, but no one inside was hurt, including Bobby and Linda Hester, whose mobile home across the street was blown away. Volunteer contractors help clear debris as donations arrived from around the region — clothes, kerosene heaters, and so much bottled water that "if the Mississippi River runs dry, we have water," said David Acres, missions director with the Big Emory Baptist Association. In Mississippi, where one person was killed, state officials said about 800 homes and businesses were damaged by the storms. A preliminary survey in Alabama, where 12 died, showed at least 250 homes were destroyed and more than 300 were heavily damaged. The damage number is expected to climb. The Red Cross revised its damage estimate in 17 Ohio counties. The agency said 152 homes were destroyed, 156 had major damage and 388 had minor damage. The Associated Press Archdiocease ordered to reveal abuse cases BOSTON - A judge ordered the Archdiocese of Boston on yesterday to turn over thousands more internal files detailing how it responded to allegations of sexual abuse by dozens of priests. Lawyers for alleged victims of clergy sexual abuse hope the documents show a pattern of negligence in the way the archdiocese handled complaints. "That's what these cases are all about. Was there protection for children? Did the archdiocese protect kids?" attorney Roderick MacLeish Jr. said. Superior Court Judge Constance Sweeney threatened unspecified sanctions unless church lawyers produce the documents on 62 priests by Nov.22. "I don't want to deal with punishment, but if I have to I will." Sweeney said. Sweeney in September ordered the archdiocese to hand over personnel files on 85 priests, a ruling upheld by an appeals court last month. Since then, MacLeish said, documents had trickled in at an unacceptably slow pace. He also complained of documents being illegible. Archdiocese attorney Wilson D. Rogers III said retrieving, reviewing, and turning over documents would take longer than Nov. 22. The ruling came in a hearing on a suit filed by six men who claimed they were abused by the Rev. Paul Shanley, 71. The archdiocese faces about 300 similar suits. Shanley, 71, was indicted in June on 10 counts of child rape and six counts of indecent assault and battery for allegedly abusing boys from 1979 to 1989. The boys were 6 to 15 years old. Shanley has pleaded innocent. Separately, prosecutors dropped a criminal case against defrocked priest John Geoghan after the alleged victim said he wouldn't testify in court. Six defendants sentenced in 1969 York, Pa., race riot The Associated Press YORK, Pa. — Six white men were handed sentences of up to three years in prison Wednesday in the shooting death of a black woman during a 1969 race riot that has haunted the city for the past 33 years. The defendants apologized before they were sentenced, but the victim's daughter complained that none of them expressed any sorrow for the slaying of Lillie Belle Allen until they were in court, where an apology might lessen their punishment. All six men pleaded guilty in August, and some testified for the prosecution in the trial earlier this year of York's former mayor and two other white men. The mayor was acquitted; his co-defendants were found guilty. Allen, 27, of Aiken, S.C., was killed amid 10 days of violence between blacks and whites in York. During the riots, a white police officer, Henry Schaad, was also killed, more than 60 people were injured and 100 were arrested. Allen was shot to death at twilight after she got out of her family's car to try to help her panicking sister, Hattie Dickson, steer the stalled vehicle away from a mob of armed white gang members. Yesterday, Arthur Messersmith was sentenced to 18 months to three years. Messersmith had faced up to nine years in prison for attempted murder and conspiracy. Rick Knouse, William Ritter and Clarence Lutzinger were sentenced to nine to 23 1/2 months in jail, and Chauncey Gladfelter and Tom Smith got three to 231/2 months in jail. The five, all of whom pleaded guilty to conspiracy, had faced up to two years behind bars. The sentences disappointed Allen's family. "I feel like it's a slap in my face and my children's face that they did not get the maximum," said Dickson, 56. LAWRENCE AUTOMOTIVE DIAGNOSTICS INC. 842-3605 2868 Four Wheel Dr. Rechi bubble teas + crepes + Indonesian cuisines 125 East 10th, Downtown Lawrence (78569-3422) 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 November Special with nail artis Stephanie Stalnaker Student discounts and other exclusive promos from Apple make the holidays merrier and switching to the Mac easier. IMAGES SALON & DAYSPA 843-2138 511 West 9th Otter valid w/coupon only Expires 11/30/02 Best Deal on Campus. The new iMac $ Starting at $1,099 Discounted just for Students Actual Size. Holds up to 4,000 songs 10 hour battery life Download a CD in seconds iPod • Starting at $269 Discounted just for Students Special Promos Apple has great promos going to help make buying a Mac and the accessories you need more affordable, all discounted for Students. Brighten your holidays. Buy a Mac and an HP DeskJet 3820 or 5550 printer and receive a $99 rebate. Expires January 7,2003 Double your memory. Double the standard configuration of memory for only $40 on any Mac. Expires December 31,2002 For more information on these and other promotions please visit www.apple.com/education/promos/ Get your student discount at: Union Technology Center TM and ©2002 Apple Computer Inc. All rights reserved. Learn more at : 800-MV-APE-E. ---