GA = THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN NEWS WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER30, 2002 Symphony orchestra plays tomorrow night sans Halloween masks By Kyle Ramsey kramsey@kansan.com Kansan staff writer The University of Kansas Symphony Orchestra will perform at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Lied Center. Concert Director Timothy Hankewich, who is also associate director of the Kansas City Symphony and interim director of orchestral studies at the University, said the orchestra would perform Felix Mendelssohn's "Reformation Symphony." The show is not connected to Halloween, but tied to Oct. 31 by the Lutheran calendar, which calls Oct. 31 Reformation Day. The concert will feature a performance by Joyce Castle, professor of voice and renown mezzo-soprano. She will sing with the orchestra in "El Amor Brujo," a ballet suite by Spanish composer Manuel de Falla. Castle recently returned from Italy, where she performed through most of October, Hankewich said. The performance will include assistant conductor Steven McDonald, Reading, Mass., graduate student. Participating in the school's orchestra series is McDonald's primary means of studying conducting, he said. "That's how we learn," he said. "We just get up and do it." Hankewich said students who were participating in The University of Kansas Symphony Orchestra will perform at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Lied Center. tomorrow's show had auditioned earlier this semester. The orchestra has been preparing the concert for about one month. McDonald will open the show with Wagner's "Rienzi." Hankewich said he encouraged students interested in performing in future shows to contact the KU Orchestra and Band Office at 864-3367. Auditions for next semester will begin in mid-November, he said. The KU Symphony Orchestra will perform an Evening of Piano Concerto Monday, Nov. 25, and the annual Christmas Vespers concert Sunday, Dec.8. Advanced tickets for both shows are available at the Lied Center ticket office. Admission to Thursday's performance is $7 for general admission and $5 for students and seniors. Tickets are available at all KU Ticket Outlets: The Lied Center Ticket Office, 785-864-ARTS; Murphy Hall Ticket Office, 785-864-3982; and SUA Ticket Office, 785-864-3477. -Edited by Matt Gehrke Committee tries to speed bike lanes along By Lindsey Hodel lhodel@kansan.com kansan staff writer University architects have included bike lanes on campus in long-term landscaping plans, but some students would like to see bike lanes added on campus sooner than the plan calls for them. The Bicycle Pedestrian Board, a subcommittee of Student Senate's transportation board, held its first meeting last Wednesday to discuss a proposal to add bike lanes along Jayhawk Blvd. within the next two or three years, said Laura Adams, chair of the Bicycle Pedestrian Board. Adams said the current land scaping plan for campus includes adding bike lanes within five years. "By removing the parking along Jayhawk Blvd," the Topeka sophomore said, "adding bike lanes would be easy to do." Adams also said the committee has discussed increasing student awareness by handing out information on campus about safe bicycling. "Right now we are working on building student support," she said. But, the availability of handicapped parking presents a problem for the option of removing all parking along Jayhawk Blvd., Adams said. "We've talked about the possi bility of moving handicapped parking to the back of the buildings, which could be feasible," she said. Other factors exist that pose problems for the addition of bike lanes, said University architect Warren Corman. "One of the problems is that if the street needs to be widened, trees may have to be cut down," he said, "and nobody likes that idea." No plans are definite for adding bike lanes to Jayhawk Blvd. because the university does not have enough money to fund construction along the stretch of road, Corman said. "It would be based on private donation," he said. "We can't do anything until money from Endowment is secured." He said any kind of construction on Jayhawk Blvd. would involve costs that the current budget could not sustain. Although he said he has not perceived many real threats to his safety while riding his bike on campus, Jeff Brandsted, Topeka junior, said he thought the addition of bike lanes on campus was a good idea. "Just having bike lanes present makes pedestrians and cars more aware that there could be a biker could be coming," he said. "Otherwise, people tend to forget about them." — Edited by Matt Gehrke Film challenges masculine roles By George Schulz gschulz@kansan.com Kansan staff writer Violence isn't so much a deviation as an accepted part of masculinity, said Jackson Katz, founder of Real Men, an anti-sexist men's organization based in Boston. The Men's Outreach Program showed a film featuring Katz to about 50 University of Kansas students last night at the Big 12 room in the Kansas Union. Katz did not appear at the event but was the main focus of the film. He was the first male to graduate from the University of Massachusetts with a degree in women's studies. "Feminism isn't just about women's issues," Katz wrote in a 1993 column handed out at the viewing. "It's about looking at the world as a prism of gender. What many people fail to understand is that this includes masculinity." The film, entitled Tough Guise: Violence, Media and the Crisis of Masculinity, featured Katz describing what he believed were the dominant male features of power and control portrayed in pop culture media in the United States. Katz's narration during the film was layered with popular media images that he said perpetuate the violent aspects of male behavior, such as war movies and aggressive sports competitions. Katz described "tough guise" as an extreme notion of masculinity in which men are shackled by narrow assumptions of how they are supposed to behave in society. He said the fear of being viewed as weak kept many men from acting outside the confines of dominant gender roles. The film also includes statistics that suggest men have a much higher chance of engaging in violence, including rape, homicide and spousal abuse. Katz added that some minority men tended to respond to decades of racial discrimination by exhibiting hyper-masculinity and the accompanying violence. Some students said the video added a new element to their perceptions of gender issues. "I'm still pretty intimidated by what he had to say," said Ian Spiridigliozzi, Flint, Mich., senior, referring to Katz. "I never thought of masculinity in those terms. I saw a lot of things that reflected who I am." Courtney Kaytis, Willamantic. Conn., senior, concurred. "It brought up a lot of interesting things," she said. "I had never before felt compelled to attend something like this before. It was good." The Men's Outreach Program, which sponsored the film showing along with the Emily Taylor Women's Resource Center, formed last year. Travis Weller, Garden City junior and coordinator for the program, said the program was designed to respond to gender issues faced by men. "We realized there was a lot of gender-specific programming focused toward women's needs," he said. "But there was little that addressed what men faced in today's society." Edited by Matt Norton