Wednesday September 11,2002 Vol. 113. Issue No. 15. Today's weather 83° Tonight: 55° Tell us your news Call Jay Krall, Brooke Hesler or Kyle Ramsey at 864-4810 THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Kansas offensive line coach resigns after only two games at Kansas. p1B Saudis struggle to return to Kansas SEPTEMBER 11,2001: ONE YEAR LATER By Katie Nelson Kansan staff writer At least six University of Kansas students have been unable to regain entry into the United States because of visa problems, said Joe Potts, director of KU's International Student Services office. Abdallah Alharbe, a Saudi Arabian graduate student, has been trying to get his visa renewed since June 22. After applying for one for himself, his wife and their 3-year-old daughter through a Saudi Arabia travel agency, visas were given to the wife and child 24 hours later, but not to Alharbe. Alharbe was instead given a yellow-colored form and told to take it to Saudi Arabia's American consulate in the city of Jeddah. He was told approval would be granted by July 23, he said. The situation was further complicated by changing U.S.regulations. Visa approval for travel into the United States could no longer be granted through travel agencies as it had in the past. Approval is now only given at the embassies or consulates. Worried, Alharbe went to the consulate office to inquire about how the change would affect him. Alharbe would eventually receive approval, government officials said, but he had to wait. He returned day after day throughout the summer, and was told the same thing. "They told us to stay home and wait for them to call us," Alharbe said, with tension in his voice. "They said, 'We cannot say anything, and we don't know anything, and just wait.'" He is still waiting. Now, more than two months later, Alharbe has lost hope of beginning his third year at KU any time soon. "I'm depressed," Alharbe said in a phone interview yesterday. "I have a family and a future but no job. I am just sitting. I have a scholarship, yet I sit." Alharbe isn't alone in his waiting. There could be more, because an exact count of students unable to SEE VISA ON PAGE 6A TRANSFORMED Campus, community reflect subtle changes By Erin Beatty, Vonna Keomanyvong and Caleb Nothwehr Kapstan staffwörter Kansan staff writers The terrorist attacks that took place one year ago today triggered sweeping changes in governmental agencies — like the reorganization of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The Bush administration created the Department of Homeland Security. Foreign policies changed, and airport security was tightened. But on the campus of the University of Kansas, the changes were subtle The students who huddled around televisions in the Kansas Union and watched airplanes crash into the World Trade Center still cheered on their basketball team as the Jayhawks entered the Final Four in March. Bars on Massachusetts Street were still full on the weekends. Talks on campus soon centered on tuition increases rather than the war on terror. But changes did occur. Professors altered their courses slightly; campus police officers increased precautionary training, and more students enlisted in ROTC. Felix Moos, professor of anthropology, said the impact of last year's events were still sinking in. "It's a struggle to remind students that this is a complex world that also includes events that are far more impinging on their lives — more so than the score of a KU athletic game." Moos said. Faculty incorporate new issues into courses The terrorist attacks continue to influence curriculum, lectures and discussions in culture-shaping areas of study on the KU campus. In the political science department, professors have addressed the attack's impact on the government. "It's a difficult topic to overlook, not just in political science, but in every class," said Mark Joslyn, assistant professor of political science. SEE TRANSFORMED ON PAGE 7A HEARD ON THE HILL How has Sept. 11 changed you? Compiled by Louise Stauffer Kansan staff writer "Our whole country has united as a whole, forming a mutual respect respect among Americans." Chris Nill, Lenexa freshman "I have become more appreciative of the little things; learned not to sweat the small stuff." Katie Black, Leavenworth freshman "People are more aware of who's around them. The world has become a scarier place, and that's sad." Melaura Rose, Olathe freshman "I don't really feel my life has changed. It's the same old thing," Jason Hevelone, Omaha, Neb., sophomore Law not curbing illegal drinking By Lindsey Hodel Kansan staff writer In July 2001, Douglas County stiffened the penalties for minors in possession of alcohol. However, according to Vicki Stanwix, Municipal Court Manager for Douglas County, the number of charges for a minor in possession of alcohol increased in 2001 to 546 from 368 in 2000. New laws haven't changed old habits in Lawrence. With the old law, offenders faced the minimum $200 fine and mandatory attendance of an educational treatment program. With the current law, offenders now can lose their drivers' license for 30 days along with the minimum fine and program. In September, the month in which the most minor in possession charges usually occur, the incidents increased more than three times as much from 47 in 2000 to 165 in 2001. For the rest of 2001, each month's numbers also increased from the previous year. Stanwix said this shows that underage drinkers seemed to have no concern for the tougher penalty which took effect in July 2001. Patrick Wetta, Wichita junior, also MIP INCIDENTS FOR 2000-2001 Month 2000 2001 September 47 165 October 24 59 November 15 35 December 12 15 Source: Douglas County Source: Douglas County said he had not noticed a decrease in underage drinking. "The bars are still full of people and everyone has a fake ID," he said. Wetta, 20, received a minor in possession of alcohol ticket this past summer. He received the ticket in the Jet Lag Lounge, 610 Florida St., after he used someone else's ID to get in. SEE DRINKING ON PAGE 6A An 18-year-old female reported the second Lawrence rape this week on Saturday, Spt. Mike Patrick said. Patrick said he could not confirm that the victim was a University of Kansas student. The woman told Lawrence police that two men that she considered strangers raped her around 3:30 a.m. Saturday. She reported the rape about 7 p.m. West-Lawrence rape second reported in week The victim was attending a small party at a private residence in western Lawrence where she said the two men raped her. Pattick said. Saturday. The student said she was in bed when a man she didn't know entered her unlocked room. Lt. Schuyler Bailey of the KU Public Safety Office said An 18-year-old KU student reported a rape between 4 and 5.30 a.m. Saturday at her room in Oliver Hall. Patrick said Lawrence police were working to identify the suspects. Neither law enforcement agency think the raps are related. Michelle Burhenn