CAMPUS/AREA UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Friday, November 20,1992 3 Jeff Peters / Special to the KANSAN Dorothy Mizeon Verzillion, SD Junior and co-coordinator of the KU Amnesty International group, writes a letter about the recent incidents in Serbia. Red Cross seeks donations More contributions needed to help former Yugoslavia Kansan staff writer By Muneera Naseer Kansan staff writer The International Committee of the Red Cross began appealing for money last month to aid the war-torn republics of former Yugoslavia to help off a low number of donations. : "We need more because this is not to go over to be soon," she said. "The people in Bosnia are facing an increased difficult winter. Some people are living in shelters or makeshift kinds of camps." Ann Stingle, representative for the National Headquarters of the American Red Cross, said that about $500,000 dollars had been sent to their office from across the United States during the last year and a half, and more was needed to purchase clothing, food and medicine. At least 14,000 people have been killed in the fighting that erupted after Serbians rebelled against Muslims and Croatians, who voted for independence from Yugoslavia F.29. Single said that people in the United States needed to raise their awareness and show that they cared. Betty Bennett, administrative assistant at the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, said that only three checks from Douglas County had been mailed to its office since the trouble began in the former Yugoslavia a year and a half ago. She said Douglas County residents had responded generously in aiding victims of Hurricane Andrew in Florida and said she did not know why the donations to Bosnia-Herzegovina were low. The Red Cross is only accepting monetary donations because it costs too much money to ship clothing and other items. "The people in Bosnia can purchase whatever that they need there," Bennett said. The money is sent by local Red Cross chapters to the International Committee of the Red Cross, based in Geneva. The International Red Cross determines how the money would best be used. March said he was disappointed at the lack of effort in the United States to help stop the fighting as well as to send aid to the people. Bill March, associate professor of Slavic languages, has Croatian heritage and last visited Zagreb, former capital of Croatia, in October 1991. "This country has amazed me," he said. "We've done almost nothing to stem the holocaust that is going on there." Relief sent to former Yugoslavia Since July, the International Committee of the Red Cross has supplied 158,368 family parcels of food and toiletries to civil war refugees in the former Yugoslavia. International relief efforts to date have supplied the following: - blankets - plastic shelter sheets 1.30 tons of medical supplies following: 1700 tons of bulk food 190 tons of non-food items blankets Source: American Red Cross At the University of Kansas, no groups have held any fund-raising events for the Bosnian effort, said Ann Eversele, director of the Organizations & Activities Center. Members of KU's Amnesty International group, however, met last night to write letters to various officials in the troubled region. The letters call for an investigation into the disappearance of 17 Muslims in Bosnia For information about donating to the American Red Cross: Contact Betty Bennett, administrative assistant at the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, 843-3550. Sean M. Tevis / KANSAN Danelle Myron, Vermillion, S.D., junior and coordinator for KU's group, said that for the first time her organization had received names in a specific disappearance in Bosnia. Herzegovina Oct.22. She also said that when Amnesty International officials visited Serbian, Croatian and Muslim detention camps, they reported malnutrition and physical abuse of the prisoners. City attorney quiet on Sevier lawsuit By Joe Harder Korea staff writers City attorney Gerald Cooley said yesterday that although he had seen the complaint filed against the City of Lawrence by Gregg Sevier's family, he would prefer not to comment on its specifics. Kansan staff writer "I think it's enough that we're in an adversarial hearing," he said. "I'd rather not try this case in the press." Willie and Orene Sevier, parents of Gregg Sevier, filed a complaint Wednesday in federal court in Topeka against the City of Lawrence, Lawrence police chief Ron Olin, police officers Ted Bordman and James Phillips and Sgt. George Wheeler. Gregg Sevier, 22, was fatally shot April 21, 1991, by Bordman and Phillips. The Seviers had called police because they were worried he might injure himself. Gregg Sevier had drunk several beers and entered his bedroom with a large knife, according to police reports. "The use of deadly force was unreasonable and without justification." In the complaint's five counts against the defendants, the Seviers allure. that the defendants' actions deprived Gregg Sevier of his constitutional rights to life, liberty or property without due process of law. that the City of Lawrence and Police Chief Ron Olin failed to "provide training and supervision to its police officers with respect to responding to potential suicide-related emergency calls ..." and that failure "... amounts to a deliberate indifference to the constitutional rights of Gregg Sevier and other citizens of the City of Lawrence." that because Gregg Sevier was an American Indian, the response to the 911 call was handled differently than it would have been had he been white. The complaint states, "There exists a pattern, practice and policy of discrimination against Native Americans by the City of Lawrence, by the City of Lawrence was well aware and failed to take corrective action." that because of alleged excessive use of force by Bordman and Phillips, Gregg Sevier died a wrongful death, a punishable offense under a Kansas statute. ■ that "the nature of defendants' behavior was so extreme, egregious and outrageous as to constitute a tort of outrage." In the complaint, the Seviers request at least $50,000 in punitive damages from each of the defendants. They also ask for a permanent injunction against the City of Lawrence and the police department to keep from dispatching inadequately trained police officers. Willie Sevier said Wednesday that he would not comment on the specifics of the case. "We're just letting justice do its work,"he said. New wheelchair ramp restores library access Special to the Kansan Wheelchair accessibility was restored to the front entrance of the Anschutz Science Library Tuesday. Access to the permanent ramp on the west side of Anschutz's main entrance was cut off by the fence behind the June 15, 1991, fire that captured it. Since then, students in wheelchairs had to park by Haworth Hall, cross to Malott Hall through the walkway and then go across the hill to an elevator below Anshutz's main entrance. Kathleen Neeley, a librarian at Anschutz, said the library had received several complaints about a lack of wheelchair access. The library requested a temporary access ramp after the fire. Several ideas were proposed, including adding a doorbell to the loading docks on the west side of the library. "We didn't suggest what to do," Neeley said. "We just said something needed to be done." The original plan had been to move the fence to permit access to the permanent ramp as soon as the demolition of the rear of Hoch was finished. However, a change in design made Bob Turvey, associate director of the Student Assistance Center, also had received several complaints from disabled students. He then talked to facilities planning. the removal of the fence unfeasible. This time was different. Modig said the ramp would cost about $3,000, including materials and labor. The wooden blue-gray ramp meets all gradient accessibility standards, Modig said. Handicapped students can park behind Wescoe to reach the front of Anschutz. Turvey credits the sudden interest in a temporary ramp to a combination of a recent complaint by a student and the sudden realization that the original plans for restoring original access were now impossible. "This one they asked us to move along and do the cost breakdowns afterward." Modig said. Facilities operations began construction Nov. 9. The ramp will be torn down as soon as Hoch reconstruction is finished. James Modig, director of facilities planning, said that his department usually sent an estimate of a project's cost to facilities operations and then the project was evaluated before moving on. "We were just told to build it," said Bob Porter, associate director for plant maintenance. "We'll worry about the funding later. It is pretty high priority at this point in time." Future plans for improved wheelchair access include a tunnel between Hoch and Anschutz, access to Wescoe terrace from the rear of the building and two new handicapped parking spaces behind Wescoe EAN-PYTIC Heavyweight Reversible sweatshirts ONLY $25 Across from Mass. St. Deli 942 Massachusetts Quad • On Bus Route • 2-3 Bedrooms CORNUCOPIA 1801 Mass. 842-9637 2111 Kasold 843-4300 DOMINO'S PIZZA NOBODY KNOWS LIKE DOMINO'S How You Like Pizza At Home. SIX DOLLAR INSANITY $6.00 OPEN FOR LUNCH Sun-Thurs 11am-1am 841-8002 Fri-Sat 11am-2am 832IOWA We accept and checks. (25 $ \phi $ service charge) Get a 15" Large Pizza with cheese and 1 topping for just $6.00 Available for Carry Out or Delivery to KU Resident Halls, Fraternities, Sororities and Scholarship Halls Only. Not Valid with $3.00 Service Guarantee. No coupon necessary, just ask for $6 Insanity. Offer Expires November 29, 1992. Valid at participating stores only. Not valid with any other offer. Customer pay sales tax where applicable. Delivery areas limited to ensure safe driving. Our drivers carry less than $20.00.