Sports University Daily Kansan / Wednesday, September 23, 1987 9 Meeting leads to confusion for KU sports clubs Jeff Klein/Special to the KANSAN By ROBERT WHITMAN Gordon Kratz, KU coordinator of sports clubs, stands in the entrance to Robinson Center. Much of the confusion over possible changes in guidelines affecting University sports clubs arose during a meeting Kratz had with club representatives. Staff writer KU Crew president Scott Klaws thought he was responding to a real threat to the future of crew as a University organization. - if it didn't integrate itself into the recreational services bureaucracy. Klaus said he thought his club was threatened when sports club coordinator Gordon Kratz told him that he'd be making money and its boats would be sold Based on that Sept. 9 meeting between Kratz and about 20 sports club presidents, Klaus wrote a letter to Kratz protesting the purported changes. But it only served to perpetuate a sense of confusion about what changes would be made. In an effort to clear up some of that confusion, representatives from the sports clubs will meet today with Stephanie Quincy, student body vice president, and two members of recreational services. "The biggest misconception is that drastic changes are impending: reduced funding, losing control of the money that has been taken for them and losing control over their group, period." Quincy said. Quincy is a member of a sports clubs task force that is to make recommendations to the Senate concerning guidelines for sports clubs receiving Senate money. This year, seven sports clubs divided funds totaling $16,292. The task force will also propose changes in the method the Senate considers funding requests from sports clubs. The presidents of all 20 sports clubs registered with the organization and activities center were sent letters inviting them or a representative of the club to the meeting, Quincy said. She said Mary Chappell, director of recreational services, and Kratz also would be at the meeting to answer questions about the proposed guidelines. "We want to inform them of the work of the task force this summer and ask for their input," Quincy said. But KU Crew coach Cliff Elliott, said crew, which received about 61 percent of the money allocated to sports clubs, had been shut out from giving input to the task force. "And that's the probably the thing that dispatches or worries me the most," Elliott said. "Crew had requested to be a part of the decision-making process. But it went largely ignored." Elliott said his biggest concern was that recreational services would start dictating how much he would spend and how it would be spent. "I'm not interested in cutting the lightweight program, restricting membership and restricting fundraising just to satisfy recreational services," he said. Elliott said he also was concerned that all sports clubs would receive one block of money from the Senate and crew would lose out in the struggle with recreational services for what it considered its share of the money. Quincy said no recommendations had been finalized by the task force yet. "The funding procedure is essentially the same," Quincy said. "What I'm hoping is that we can get some input from people who have knowledge about sports." Quincy said the task force might recommend the clubs submit their requests for funds to the Senate, but the requests would be reviewed first by the recreational services advisory board. Klaus said that was not the procedure outlined by Kratz in the Sept. 9 meeting. The board is composed of five students appointed by the Senate; Ann Eversole, director of organizations and activities; Caryl Smith, dean of student life; Wayne Ossness, chairman of health, physical education and recreation; and one person appointed by David Ambler, vice chancellor for student affairs. After that, she said the requests would then be reviewed by the Senate's finance committee, then by the Senate as a whole. "The feeling I got from Gordon was that we'd lose control of our club slowly, but surely," he said. "We want to be a student-governed organization. If we can't have that government as well into the community." Kratz said, "What has happened, I feel, is that I was given some misleading information and I misunderstood some other information." Kratz said he met with Quincy yesterday and cleared up any misconceptions he had. "I told the presidents (of the sports clubs) one thing at the (Sept. 9) meeting," he said. "Steve came another thing when we talked." comments about the boats of the KU Sailing Club. Quincy said recommendation would be made that sports clubs be required to carry liability insurance, that make sure that all club clubs have insurance policies and that the clubs follow travel guidelines. Kratz said he didn't tell Klaus that he would sell Crew's boats. He said Klaus confused that with his She said she hoped members or officers of sports clubs would become involved with the board if the number of student members was increased. The task force may also recommend an increase in the number of students on the recreational services advisory board to 13, Quincy县. The task force is scheduled to meet Oct. 9 to finalize its recommendations, Quincy said. Once the recommendations are finalized, Quincy said, she would write a bill reflecting the recommendations and assign it to the Senate's Student Rights committee. Seitzer's hit in tenth gives Royals victory The Associated Pre SEATTLE — Kevin Seitzer's RBI double with two outs in the 10th inning gave the Kansas City Royals a 4-3 victory over the Seattle Mariners last night. Seitzer sent losing pitcher Jerry Reed's pitch down the right field line to score Willie Wilson, who had reached on a forceout. Jerry Don Gleton, 4.4, who got out of a two-out, bases loaded jam in the ninth inning, was the winner. Riehle and Levin saved the final inning for his fifth save. Reed, 1-2, who replaced Seattle started as the rookie in head of the team, was the loss. center field wall in the first inning gave the Mariners a 1-0 lead. They scored two more runs in the second inning, two two-out single with the bases loaded. George Brett hit a sacrifice fly in the Kansas City third, then hit a bases-empty homer along with the next two hits ahead in the sixth to tie the score 3-3. Brett's homer, his 21st of the year, set a new Kansas City record for team homers in a season. The Royals reached the league standard of 154 set by the 1984 club The victory broke a four-game Royals losing streak, but failed to gain them any ground in the American League West race. Victory puts Cardinals' magic number at 9 Jim Presley's RBI double off the The Associated Press ST. LOUIS — Vince Coleman singled and scored two runs, leading St. Louis to a 3-2 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies last night that extended the Cardinals' games in the National League East. By winning, St. Louis trimmed its magic number for winning the division to nine over New York and Montreal. The Cardinals lead the Mets by 3>3 and Montreal, which has played one fewer game than New York, by four. Danny Cox, 10-8, pitched a five-hitter, striking out six and walking four for his first victory in six starts since Aug. 23. Cox, who had lost his previous season, went seven 2-3 innings before Todd Worrell came on for his 23rd save. Worrell yielded a lead-off homer to Mike Schmidt, his 32nd of the season and 527th lifetime, in the ninth. Lefthander Ken Dayley then came in to pitch to left-handed batter Von Hayes, with Worrell moving to right field, replacing Lance Johnson. Dayley struck out Hayes, and Worrell returned to the mound, with John Morris going to right. Coleman, marking his 26th birthday, singled and stole his 103rd base of the year to open the first inning. After Ozzie Smith walked, both runners moved up on a passed ball and Coleman scored on a wild pitch by Shane Wray. 17-10. The RBI for McGee, his 103rd, set a single-season record of 102 by a Cardinals center fielder. McGee's additional RBI this year was as a pinch hitter. Tourney to top off intramural softball 157 teams to play in seven categories The 157 teams in the tournament will be broken down into seven categories. Men's teams will play for the title of Independent Recreation League A and Greek League A. Men's and women's team divisions are Independent Trophy League, and Greek Trophy League. The Co-ed Recreation League will also decide its champion in the tournament. By DARRIN STINEMAN Staff writer Staff writer The intramural softball season will culminate in a single-elimination softball tournament beginning Monday at the softball fields near Robinson Center. The softball season was moved from the spring to the fall three years ago because so many games were being rained out in the spring. Johnson said that he thought the number of teams were increasing because people were slow getting used to having the season in the fall. John Johnson, intramural sports coordinator at Robinson, said that he was pleasantly surprised by the large number of teams entered in the tournament. He said that there was a 27 percent increase in the number of teams from last year. Teams play only three games during the regular season, and the results from those games help the teams win a tournament to bracket the teams. The men's and women's winners of the Independent Trophy League and the Greek Trophy League will meet for what Johnson called the "Hill Championship." The winners of the Creationist League won't play each other, but all division winners will receive T-shirts and a trophy. "The regular season games are used to help match up opponents." Johnson said. "An undefeated team and an underfunded team in the first round." The teams that had to forfeit a game during the regular season are not allowed to play in the post-season tournament unless they pay a $2 fee. Johnson said that was done to prevent forfeits during the season. Trophy league teams pay a $20 fee at the beginning of the regular season which includes entry in the tournament. Recreation League teams pay $10 Johnson said the tournament setup was unique in that the teams don't blow out each other. The tournament is scheduled to continue into mid-October, Johnson said. "We're one of the few schools in the country that take everyone into the school cafeteria, so they take only the champions of each division, but we take everybody," been trying to teach them for three years," she said. "We're starting to play better. We didn't make as many mistakes as we made last week. We just got overpowered at times." Loss to Central Missouri State extends volleyball losing streak in spite of the scores, KU coach Frankie Albitz said the team played better as the match progressed. Kansas plays Iowa State at 7 p.m. Saturday in Ames, Iowa, in a Big Eight Conference match. The Jayhawks will play Northern Iowa at 1 p.m. Sunday in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Central Missouri State, the No. 1 ranked volleyball team in NCAA Division II, defeated Kansas last night 15-13, 15-11, 12-15, 15-8 in Warrensburg, Mo. The loss by the Jayhawks, 47, extended their losing streak to five matches. KU offense worse on film than on the field By a Kansan reporter "I think our team is finally learning the hard way what I've By CRAIG ANDERSON Staff writer Statistically the Jayhawks offense looked terrible. The rushing game netted only 66 yards. Kansas quarterback Kelly Donohoe and Mike Orth completed only 10 of 29 passes and threw two interceptions. Their longest offensive drive of the game lasted just longer than three minutes Kansas offensive coordinator Gary Huff didn't enjoy watching the Jayawhack offense bog down for most of the game Saturday against Kent State. He realized later, though, that he hadn't seen anything yet. After seeing the films, Huff and Coach Baja Valeste said they were "Watching the game films afterward was just so frustrating," he said. "I saw how close we were, but one or two guys were were breaking down on every play. It was different players every time." disappointed with the offensive line's performance. "The offensive line fire off the ball and practices hard all week," Valente said. "When it comes to game strategy, you can look like they are walking on eggs." Huff said that the line shouldn't take all the blame for the offensive wees. The Kansas offensive line had been looked on as a strength of the offense in early season practices, but Huff said that nobody on the unit could honestly say he had done a good job in the first two games. Huff said. "Its very frustrating to watch their lack of aggressiveness. They didn't give our quarterback enough time to throw all day." "The best way you can play is lead by example," he said. "We have a lot of guys who talk a good game, but when it comes time to perform on Saturday, they fall short." As is usually the case when an offense stagnates, there was discussion after the game about who should start at quarterback. Donohoe, a sophomore, started the Jayhawks first two games, but he couldn't move the offense. Senior quarterback Matt McGill scored in the fourth quarter. However, Huff said Donohoe still would be the starting quarterback. "It's easy for fans to sit back and criticize coaches' decisions when they don't have, to make the decisions themselves," he said. "I think the quarterback often takes too much of the blame when an offense isn't working." Despite the offensive misery Saturday, Huff said there were some positive aspects. He said the Jayhawk wide receivers played well. Junior Willie Vaughn led the way with four receptions for 156 yards and a touchdown. Huff said that when the receivers were open, the offensive line protection broke down or the quarterbacks overthrew their targets. Freshman tailback Frank Hatchett gave the Jayhawks a little spark in the third quarter, gaining 27 yards in seven carries. Hatchett left the game with lacerations on his back during the same quarter and did not return. Hatchett was running hard and showed some speed. Huff said, "He should be ready to go by Saturday." Huff said the few successes gave the Jayhawks something to build on. "We all have to stick together and weather the storm," he said. "Later, when this is over, we will be able to look back and see who stuck with us. There's still plenty of time this season to make a lot of improvement." Chiefs expect to field full team for L.A. Raiders game KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas City Chiefs expect to have a full complement of non-striking football players Oct. 4 when they resume their season by playing the Los Angeles Raiders, Coach Frank Gansz said. The Associated Press we're going to make the very best of the situation and we're going out there every game to win," Gansz said yesterday as the Chiefs and 27 other NFL teams dug in for the best NFL players strike in five years. No pickets appeared yesterday, the players' regular day off. But player representative Nick Lowey scheduled a news conference this morning at what he said would the Chiefs' picket line outside Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs, 1 in Gansz' first year as head coach, were expecting more than 60,000 in Arrowhead Sunday for Minnesota, a game that is expected to be canceled. "Everybody will have to go out there with a basic game plan. A basic defense, a basic offense, a basic kicking game," he said. "It will have to play ball, football, but We'll get ready to play, and our purpose will be to win." Gansz said that fans should expect the strike teams to play no-frills football. Gansz said that he will be waiting at the door today to greet his new players. 'There won't be anything to do but take physicals," he said. "Then Thursday we'll hold our first practice. We'll come in at 9 a.m. and work on special teams first. The first meeting will be the pnt team meeting. How do we punt the ball? How do we run this formation? We'll take everything in a walk-through at first ... run basic handoff plays, basic pass plays. You can't be too fancy. We're going to make the best of it." As special teams coach the past two years, Ganz enjoyed immense popularity among players, a major factor in the decision to dump the unpolluted John Mackovic and elevate Gans to the job. He has always been a player who can rapport with his players that is unusual among NFL head coaches. and his closeness with the players might seem imperiled by the bitterness that can accompany a strike. "I liken this situation to my daughter," he said. "I love her. She's a beautiful young gal. But I can remember having some arguments with her when she was 15-16. She would leave the house and go stay with one of her friends for a while. She'd always come back and always make up, manage, and watch it still the same thing, but it'll be her own thing. The players have to do what they think is right. I understand that. But they have to understand my job. The big thing is we've got to get back as soon as possible to the business of winning." "I didn't go out and get another daughter." he said. "We hope to have 45 by Friday," Schaaf said. "It's a difficult, but not impossible situation." General Manager Jim Schaaf said that 40 strike-breakers would be in Arrowhead today for physical examinations. Nevertheless, Gansz said that he has deliberately not taken part as scouts and front office personnel line up replacements. "But they will come from all over the country," he added. "They will be players we scouted while they were on the field, camp or players we've been keeping tabs on. There's not a lot of secrets out there. I am not aware of any (regular Chiefs players) who are expected to re-join us Thursday." Scafa and Gansz both agreed that franchises in high-population areas such as Los Angeles might have an advantage. "I think the teams in the heavily populated geographic areas will have the advantage, because they have a lot of players. Los Angeles, Philadelphia, New York," Ganss said. "Those teams will have the advantage. Lots of very good football players live in the San Diego-Los Angeles area. Nobody said it was always going to be fair." The Chiefs also announced yesterday that ticket holders will have several options for getting refunds on canceled games.