No jacket required THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Details page 6 Wednesday September 23,1987 Vol.98.No.23 Published since 1889 by the students of the University of Kansas (USPS 650-640) Iran vows revenge for U.S. attack on Gulf vessel Iran's president declares to U.N. U.S.forces followed Iranian ship for days,Pentagon says that U.S.account is 'pack of lies' The Associated Press NICOSIA, Cyprus — In a militant mood as it marked the seventh anniversary of the Persian Gulf war. Iran vowed revenge yesterday for the U.S. Navy attack on an Iranian ship the Pentagon says was planting mines. Iranian troops paraded through Tehran and other cities on the date that Iranians consider the anniversary of the start of the war. Parliament Speaker Hashemi Ratsfanjian said he was joined by U.S. helicopter gunships on the vessel Iran Ajr "will not go unanswered." In a Tehran radio broadcast monitored in Nicosia, Rafsanjani told Parliament in a speech, "Our combatants will answer (the Americans) wicked actions in an appropriate way and they will regret what they have done." He did not elaborate. In New York, President Ali Khamenei of Iran told the U.N. General Assembly the U.S. account of the attack was a "pack of lies." Khamenei said, "The U.S. shall receive a proper response for this abominable act." Khamenei also condemned a U.N. Security Council cease-fire resolution aimed at ending the Iran-Iraq war. But one military analyst, Maj.Bob Elliott of the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies. Iran's navy has so far not challenged the U.S. task force in the Persian Gulf since the Americans intervened in the region two months ago. said in a telephone interview, "There are enough U.S. ships in the gulf region to provide targets for the Revolutionary Guards." The Revolutionary Guards, who often appear to operate outside the military chain of command, have been more active in the gulf in attacks on shipping than the Iranian navy, heavily outgunned by the U.S. task force. Rafsanjani told Parliament, "Those who have entered the region by force and embarked on wicked acts will soon regret their actions." Iran's official Islamic Republic News Agency, also monitored in Nicosia, quoted Rafsanjan as saying the U. attack was quick to divert attention from Khamenei's speech at the United Nations. Timothy Appleberry, Marquette, Mich., junior, is the 18th in a line of about 350 people waiting for line numbers for the U2 concert. People began gathering in front of Liberty Hall box office yesterday at 8 a.m. hoping to obtain one of the 200 line numbers given out. Tickets for the October 26 concert at Kemperrena will go on sale Saturday. Hurry up and wait WASHINGTON — U.S. military forces had shadowed the Iranian ship they attacked Monday night for days, waiting for conclusive evidence that the vessel was laying underwater mines. Pentagon officials said yesterday. The Associated Press The officials, who requested anonymity, said the vessel, Iran Ajr, had been tracked by radar and air surveillance for several days as it steamed through the central Gulf toward Bahrain "because it had been seen loading suspect devices" before leaving an Iranian port. "It was no accident" that U.S. helicopters from the frigate USS Jarrett were flying near the Iranian ship Monday night, using infrared sensors to monitor its activities, one official added. "When we caught them in the act, we had the evidence we needed and we moved in," he said. Sources said, without elaboration, that at least two other Iranian vessels remained under U.S. surveillance The Pentagon said three Iranians were killed and two were listed as missing in the attack, while 26 Iranians were rescued, four of them wounded. It said a Navy boarding party found 10 mines aboard the Iran AJr, a 1,662-ton amphibious landing ship. Iran said that five crewmen died in the attack and vowed that the attack "will not go unanswered." Officials said that the United States was attempting to arrange a site for the transfer of the Iranian crewmen, who probably would be turned over to the International Red Crescent Society, the Islamic equivalent of the Red Cross. Sources said that Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates were being asked to allow the transfer. Meanwhile, President Reagan defended the U.S. attack on the ship as clearly authorized by law because having mines in international waters. Reporterins in a Pentagon press pool who were allowed to visit the Iranian vessel said there were three large gashes in the hull and deck and that it was pock-marked by machine-gun fire, which the crew quoted sources as saying it appeared the crew had destroyed documents before abandoning the ship. Reagan also insisted, however, that the United States had not entered a shooting war with Iran, and White House and Pentagon spokesman said the crewmen of the Iranian vessel would be returned to Iran. At the same time, Iranian leaders dismissed the U.S. account of the incident and vowed revenge. Iranian President Ali Khameeni, appearing at the United Nations, described the American account as a "pack of lies" and declared: "The U.S. shall receive a proper response for this abominable act." The U.S. delegation to the U.N. walked out Pentagon sources reported that U.S. military bases around the globe had been reminded to maintain an alert for terrorist activity. The State Department said it expects that "American interests are judged worldwide to be at greater risk," and tensions in the gulf itself remained high. An unidentified Iranian hovercraft closed within one mile or so of a U.S. frigate that was towing the crippled Iran Ajr yesterday afternoon, the Defense Department said, and stopped its approach only after warning shots were fired across its bow. Artist's project may be key to strange Colorado death Staff writer By MARK TILFORD Colorado officials said yesterday they may know the identity of the man whose body was found Sept. 3 near Telluride, Colo. Eric Osteen, 23, a former student of the Kansas City Art Institute from Osage Beach. Mo., is thought to be the man who apparently fell 365 feet to his death over Bridal Veil Falls, about one mile east of Telluride. He apparently was not a KU student, as had been thought. "If the picture we ran, and the picture on the student ID match, we're very positive," said Sky Walters, undersheriff of San Miguel County. "I hope we get everything tied up because if we don't, we're at a dead end." "He had a lot of original ideas in art," said Brad Rinke, a KU student and a transfer from the art institute. "He was a unique kind of artist." Walters said a dean at the art institute had called the sheriff's office yesterday morning and said she had a student identification card with a picture that matched one she had seen in a newspaper. It may have been a project the former art student was working on that led to his death. Walters said Osteen's parents in Missouri had been notified and were sending dental records to sheriff's officials so positive identification could be established. "Until we get positive identification, we cannot be sure," Walters Walters said the man died of head or internal injuries and had not drowned with a large fiberglass tree on top of a van." The top of the tree was found wired to a cable that ran over the ledge of the falls where the body was found. "He said he had been working on that tree. He said he was going to see Chris and go up around the Denver area and plant that tree on a mountain." "Last month he left Kansas City Chris Hughes, a 1987 Kansas City Art Institute graduate and Denver resident, was the person Osteen had talked about seeing in Denver. But though Osteen called Hughes from different places around Colorado in July, Hughes said he never saw his friend. Hughes estimated it was sometime around the first of August that Osteen last called him. Osteen was in Boulton, and he planned to plan around that city that evening. "He did say that he was going to plant the tree at midnight or something. He said it meant something—that it meant something in a book." Hughes said. The tree, which was actually a disjointed limb, was about 15 to 20 feet long and apparently came from a tree that had been struck by lightning about four months earlier in Kansas City, Walters said. It was wrapped in fiberglass and decorated with clumps of ice to protect it. The artifact that Osteen had called the sculpture "Harmonic Convergence Tuning Fork." The Harmonic Convergence and a Grateful Dead concert in Telluride were both Aug. 16. Sometime between then and Sept. 3. Osteen apparently made an attempt to "plant" his tree. "The tree was very,very close to the edge." Walters said. A Telluride woman videotaped Osteen Aug. 16. The photo of the man that was run in several Kansas and Colorado newspapers, including yesterday's Kansan, was taken from the videotape. The woman had apparently become interested in Osteen's creation, which he had brought to a Harmonic Convergence festival and the concert. After graduating from high school, Osteen attended the art institute for two school years, but did not return to college because of lack of money. Hughes said. Osteen was never a KU student as had been thought, Hughes said. Rinke lived with Osteen in the residence hall at the art institute and later in a house in the Kansas City area. He said Osteen spent time working odd jobs after he left school. The closest Osteen came to living in Lawrence, Rinke said, was the summer of 1983, when he spent a month living with Rinke and his mother. KU submits budget proposals for 1989 Largest of three plans calls for $226.8 million in effort to catch up to peer schools Staff writer By MICHAEL HORAK The 232-page proposal was sent to budget director Michael O'Keefe last week. He will review it and make a recommendation to Gov Mike Hajvej in make a recommendation about the governor's budget package. The Legislature will vote on the governor's request during the next session. The University of Kansas has submitted a $22.8 million budget proposal for consideration by the state budget director for fiscal 1989. The proposal would increase KU's budget by about $13.9 million. during effect July If approved, the budget would go into effect July KU's proposal includes three budget options for the governor's consideration. The first option, a $226.8 million budget plan that was approved by the Board of Regents in June, is the most comprehensive plan of the three. It is the University's official request. official request. Under that proposal, KU would receive $129.2 million for general use from the state. The rest of the $228.8 million would come from restricted use funds, such as money paid for residence hall contracts. According to the budget plan, $33.5 million would be earmarked for instruction, $25.5 million for research and $19.3 million for academic support. Capital improvements account for $18.5 million of the budget. Zimmerman said that the University's comprehensive proposal gave unclassified employees a 5 percent salary increase. Salary levels for administrators were higher but at rates dependent on tenure and position. The other two budget proposals were less expensive. One proposal was for $214.1 million and the other was for $75.3 million. "It is significant that the increase is included in all three levels." Zimmerman said. "It points out the recognition that the need is already here on campus." Ward Brian Zimmerman, director of the KU budget office, said that student growth was reflected in all three proposals. All three options involved a new program for student growth and 38.4 new teaching positions. Those budgets were smaller because salary increases for unclassified employees were not included in those plans. Unclassified employees include faculty and administrators. Student wages would increase by 4 percent, Zimmerman said. In addition to those increases, each of the budget options includes fund increases created by the proposed Margin of Excellence program. The Legislature will debate that program this spring. The Margin of Excellence program has been endorsed by the Regents. It is designed to bring Regent institutions to within 95 percent of the financing level of their peer schools over the next three years. Peer schools are schools similar in scope, size and mission to KU. KU's budget currently is $16 million below its peer average, the budget proposal said. To bring faculty salaries up to parity with those of peer institutions, $2.02 million had been targeted for salary increases. Another $1.9 million is tied to improvements in research and graduate student instruction, support for the University's libraries and strengthening of general research programs. "This incremental budgeting of the Margin of Excellence realizes the need to catch up with our peers." Zimmerman said. Next month, state budget officials will look closely at KU's proposals KU will have the opportunity to appeal cuts by the state budget director when the governor gives it final consideration. Zimmerman said that in the past the Legislature usually modified the University's comprehensive budget and allocated slightly less than requested. Reactor site to become nuclear waste storage BY MARK Staff writer By MARK TILFORD The Nuclear Regulatory Commission last week gave the University of Kansas permission to turn its Nuclear Reactor Center into a site for the temporary storage of hazardous waste. University officials said yesterday. The center, on West 15th Street across from Jayhawk Tower, will be used for the temporary storage of hazardous waste produced on campus, until it can be shipped to a permanent disposal facility. Waste would be stored in the facility for no more than three months, said Robert Bearse, associate vice censor for research, graduate studies and public service. Most of the waste that the University produces is now stored in a Harold Rosson, associate dean of engineering, said. "We sent a description and an analysis of our plan a month or two ago." semi-trailer on West Campus. It currently is transported to Washington state and Tennessee, Bearsaid said "Ninety-nine percent of the radioactive waste that is produced in campus is produced in bioloremediation," he will come from University use." Most of the waste on campus comes from cleaning solvents and chemicals from laboratories on campus. The reactor has been inactive since 1884. It began operations in 1961 Bearse said the University considered building a new storage building on West Campus, but abandoned the idea after the University was turned down for a federal grant to construct it. The University, he said, has about $30,000 budgeted to modify the reactor for its new purpose.