Page 2 University Daily Kansan, October 27, 1982 News Briefs From United Press International Irish forces expand search for Protestant militiaman BELFAST, Northern Ireland—Security forces on both sides of the Northern Ireland border yesterday mounted searches to find the body of a Protestant militia sergeant killed by Irish Republican Army guerrillas. A caller to a Belfast radio station said the IRA "executed" Thomas Cochrane, a sergeant in the Ulster Defence Regiment part-time militia, for involvement in Protestant paramilitary groups responsible for "a number of serious crimes" against Catholics. Cochrane, 54, was abducted Friday on his way to work. His disappearance prompted the kidnapping the same day of Joseph Donegan, a Catholic, whose mutilated body was discovered Monday in an alley in the Protestant Skillhill district of Belfast. Gerry Fitt, an Independent Catholic member of Parliament and one of the IRA's most outspoken critics in Northern Ireland, said the retaliatory killings had caused the most dangerous situation he had seen in the province in 12 years of sectarian strife. Monday's killings followed a month of sectarian slayings that led up to last week's election of a new 78-seat provincial assembly. Both Protestant and Catholic hard-liners made strong showings in the vote. Former CIA employee found dead EDINBURG, Va.—A former CIA employee expected to testify at the trial of ex-agent Edwin Wilson, who is accused of supplying arms to Libva, was found dead outside his motel cabin yesterday, officials said. The employee, Kevin Mulcahy, 39, was found seated on the front porch of his cabin at Mountain View Motel Court. Gary Dalton, Shenandoah County sheriff's deputy, said Mulcahy had been dead for hours. FBI spokesman Roger Young said there were no indications of foul play but "obviously we will have to wait for the medical examiner's The body was taken to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy, to be performed today. Justice Department sources said Mulcahy was expected to testify next month in Washington at Wilson's trial. Mulcahy's death is not expected to affect the trial, a department source said. Kabul building bombed, envov savs NEW DELHI, India—Moslem rebels Sunday exploded a bomb in a 14-tory building in Afghanistan's capital of Kabul in a pre-dawn attack that shattered windows and damaged state trade offices, a Western diplomat said yesterday. There were no reports of injuries The pre-dawn attack on the Famir Building, the tallest building in Kabul, damaged Afghan State Trading offices, a shopping arcade and a movie theater and shattered windows on the first three floors of the building, the diplomat said. There were apparently no injuries because the attack occurred before dawn and the Pamir Building, on the city's main commercial street of Jadehe-ye-Maiwand, was empty. The bomb exploded on the main floor, the dinlom said. The diplomat said an offensive against the rebels in and around the town of Paaman, 12 miles northwest of Kabul, had ended a week ago. Salvadoran chief rejects peace offer SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador—The right wing leader of El Salvador's National Assembly — declaring he will never permit discussions "with criminal groups" — yesterday rejected a leftist offer to negotiate an end to the civil war. Constituent Assembly President Roberto d'Abuisson issued a news release saying "we will not permit a dialogue or negotiation with criminal groups of the FDR and FMLN," two rebel groups. In Mexico City, top rebel leader Guillermo Ungo unveiled a new leftist initiative to open direct dialogue with the Salvadoran government to end the 3-year-old civil war. He said U.S. support of the five-point plan, dated Oct. 5 and signed by Ungo and the leaders of El Salvador's five leftist guerrilla groups, was Earlier, an official of the Salvadoran Foreign Relations Ministry, who asked not to be identified, said the plan was "positive." Report says IBS makes more errors WASHINGTON—The Internal Revenue Service makes nearly twice as many mathematical errors in processing tax forms as taxpayers do A General Accounting Office study said the IRS found about 33 million errors on the 94 million individual income tax returns processed in fiscal 1981. The GAO sampled 2,543 of the returns on the IRS error registers to see if improvements in the IRS processing system could reduce mistakes. It found 3,270 errors detected by the IRS. It said 63 percent of the errors were made by IRS employees and 37 percent were made by taxpayers. The IRS corrected 96 percent of the mistakes. The rest were not corrected, resulting in either the understating or overstating of the refund or balance due in 48 of the sample cases. Kate Smith given Medal of Freedom RALEIGH, N.C.—Singer Kate Smith, whose rendition of "God Bless America" helped sell millions of dollars in war bonds during World War II, died peacefully on Friday at home in North Carolina. "Her voice has earned her a place in the history of this country," Reagan said before presenting the nation's highest civilian award at a private ceremony attended by about 60 people. The 75-year-old former radio and television performer, confined to a wheelchair after suffering a diabetic coma and several strokes, did not "But her sister, Helen Steene of Raleigh, N.C., thanked the president and sald of Mia Smith." "She is one of the greatest people I have ever met." Miss Smith is the 20th recipient of the presidential medal, which is given to those contributing to national security, world peace or other Sheik wants Reagan out,will pay MIDLAND, Pa. —The billionaire Saudi sheikh who gave the depressed steel town of Midland $35,000 last week said yesterday he would give the community $3 million more if all the voters promised not to vote for President Reagan in 1984. Sheik Mohammed AL-Fassi said he had been angry with Reagan for ignoring the town's pleas for help following the closing of the Crucible steel plant there early this month. When told of the sheik's offer, Edward Cilli, Midland borough secretary, was incredulous. Cilli said he did not know whether Midland residents would resent having to sign the petition to get the money. "That's really wild," said Cilli. "That staggers the imagination, doesn't it? Um, burgazeged. Wow!" The budget this year for Midland, which has 2,200 registered voters 1,800 of whom are Democrats, was approximately $1 million. By United Press International UNITED NATIONS—The U.N. General Assembly, under pressure from the United States, yesterday overwhelmingly defeated a renegade Iranian attempt to oust Israel from the world body. Iran fails attempt to oust Israel from U.N. Monday, Iran introduced a challenge to Israel's credentials to participate in the United Nations, but the measure had little support from the Arab League and virtually no support from Islamic nations. By a vote of 74,9, with 31 abstentions, the assembly passed a motion introduced by Finland to set aside the Iranian measure. Finnish Ambassador Ikka Pastinien introduced the motion on behalf of the Nordic countries, Iranian Ambassador Hassan Al-Masri immediately protested but was overruled. Voting against the motion were Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Cuba, Grenada, Iran, Libya, Nicaragua and Vietnam. The delegates of Yemen and Syria, two other hard-line Arab states that had supported the Iranian move, RAJAIE-KHORASSAN, who called the Finnish motion a "procedural conspiracy," ridiculed Secretary of State George Shulz's warning that the United Nations had out of the United Nations and withdraw its (funding if Israel were ousted). were not present for the vote in the assembly. Israeli Ambassador Yehuda Blum denounced the Iranian delegate and his supporters as "spokesmen of irrationality and lawlessness." "Regrettably, some states have taken the American bluff of withdrawal from the General Assembly very seriously." Rajae-Khiorasan said. "We don't believe that the United States will carry its threat." If it does, he said, Moslem states should make up the difference in immigration. "We are ready to pay our share, more than our share," he said, adding that Libya had already agreed to the idea. U. S. Ambassador Jane Kirkpatrick said after the meeting that the United States is continuing its military engagement. when the assembly was about to approve the report of its credentials committee, which had accepted Israel's credentials. He submitted an amendment to accept all credentials except "the credentials of Israel." THE ARAB states last week dropped plans to try expel Israel and opted for a plan to merely criticize the Jewish state for "flagrantly" ignoring U.N. calls to withdraw from Lebanon. Blum also has urged Israel to recognize of well-worn cliches designed to waste the time of the General Assembly." Violence continued in the Mideast yesterday as Israeli settlers shot and killed a teenage Palestinian demon- clashes on the occupied West Bank. In Lebanon, a right-wing Christian Phalangist radio report said Soviet officers inspected Syrian positions in the eastern Bekaas Valley where two new Soviets made SAM-9 missile batches were deployed yesterday afternoon. In Nabus, the occupied West Bank's largest Arab town, hundreds of Arab youths took to the streets to mark the 40th day since the massacre ofaldeenian Bennie Beirut, whileDefense Ministry Ajad inaugurated a new Jewish settlement. "The battle for Eretz Israel has entered a new phase," Sharon said, using the Hebrew word for the "Land of Israel" that begin the Government said included the biblical West Bank areas of Judea and Samaria. Jewish settlement, Sharon said, "must take place wherever possible in Judea and Samaria and the Gaza district." The Israeli Cabinet had rejected Beagan's plan as a "recipe for a Paris attack." Although Sharon did not mention the Reagan plan by name, he referred to the president's call for Palestinian autonomy on the West Bank and said the options proposed were against Israel's vital interests. In Washington, State Department sources said the United States would soon bring together Israel and Lebanon to discuss the situation in Israeli forces from the war-torn nation. Polish parliament enacts 'parasites' law Bv United Press International WARSAW, Poland—The Polish parliament overwhelmingly approved a tough "social parasites" law yesterday that authorizes forced labor and jail terms for people accused of avoiding work. The vote on the law and companion measures on alcoholism and juvenile delinquency coincided with the first formal motion to bring to trial a former prime minister and three former officials of ousted Communist Party leader Edward Gierek's administration. Former Prime Minister Piotr Jaroszewicz, former trade union boss Jan Szydlak and two former deputy prime ministers are among 222 former officials interred under the martial law regime for abuse of power under Gierke, who was ousted after the rise of Solidarity. Western diplomats fear the new law will be used against the remnants of the outlawed Solidarity union. The church also opposes the holy church also opposes the measure. Only 12 deputies voted against the "social parasites" bill after six hours of lackluster debate in the Sejm, the Polish parliament, in which few voices opposed to the measure were heard. There were 22 abstentions. THE NEW LAW stipulates that Poles between 18 and 45 who have been out of work for three months must register with the state. This applies to all Poles except a list of exempted categories such as farmers, pensioners, disabled people and housewives. People deemed to be evading work "for socially unjustified reasons" or living on suspect income can be required to report for questioning. They may be required up to 80 days "for public purpose" and may be liable to a two-year jail sentence or other penalties, including confiscation of apartments. As lawmakers were voting, a man shouting that World War III was about to begin run into the American school in a Warsaw suburb and threatened to ignite gasoline he had poured on the lobby floor. Some 1,500 defiant Polees jammed into St. Anne's church in Warsaw to pray for the release of intermed Solidarity leader Lech Walesa and another 200 gathered before a floral cross outside singing union anthems. UAW votes to remain on job at Chrysler "If they want to destroy Solidarity, they will have to shoot us dead," they charge. By United Press International "I think we can still do better in January than we did in September," UAW President Douglas Fraser said as the voting results were announced. DETROIT—United Auto Workers members by passed a potentially devastating strike at Chrysler Corp. and voted yesterday to remain on the job until January, when contract talks with the No. 3 automaker will resume. The original proposal was rejected Oct. 14 after two weeks of voting on the bill. Tallies of daylong voting at 54 Chrysler locals across the country showed workers voted by a 70 percent majority, remaining under current contract. About 35,000 of 42,000 active production workers voted. Official vote tallies will not be available until today, but there were approximately 24,500 votes for a resumption of talks, 10,500 for a transfer and laid off workers were eligible to vote. FRAASER SAID the strong vote against a strike might have reflected workers' fears their jobs might be lost if a walkout was called. "A strike would have been risky. A strike would have put the company in jeopardy," Fraser said. "And we knew that. You can't underterate the intelligence of our membership. I think they indicated that with this vote." Analysts said a strike would have severely damaged Chrysler if it had lasted more than a week or two, at a cost of $45 million to $60 million per cent. Thomas Miner, Chrysler vice president for industrial relations, said the company has seen a 70 percent increase. company would have had serious consequences and would have jeopardized the jobs of all Chrysler employees," he said, adding that the company is willing to return to bargaining table when the UAW is ready. THE OUTCOME means the current pact will remain in force until after the first of the year, when bargainers will meet again in hopes of gaining pay raises the company said it could not afford now. "We believe a strike against the If workers had voted to strike, the walkout was scheduled for Monday. The unprecedented vote came a week after Chrysler refused to grantlm license. The outcome seemed apparent in the afternoon, when an informal survey of workers at two mats machines other jobs found workers were concerned about their personal finances and the upcoming Christmas holidays. The union had four chances to strike Chrysler before the referendum. Fraser doubled the decision to stay on the railway, but the union's influence with automakers "We have the ability to strike and the wherewithall to strike and they know that if we call a strike, the workers will respond. That is our strength," he said. "They know we can shut Chrysler Corp, down." CHRYSLER WORKERS now make about $2 less than the $1.50 per hour earned by their counterparts at General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co., as a result of three sets of concessions made in the last three years. "We can't continue this way," Fraser said. "Chrysler workers have got to get a greater measure of equity vis-a-vis a Ford and General Motors workers." >Arrow> Traditional Arrow® Shirts Give New Emphasis to Natural Fabrics! Our handsome Arrow collection features a natural blend fabric for cool comfort and a great fit in sizes 141/2-17. We have an excellent selection of solid colors and lots of new stripes, plaids and tattarsallis. Also check out our great selection of wool and silk ties. "Where Clothes Are For Fun" V