University Daily Kansan, October 26, 1982 Page 5 Poison-tainted Tylenol bottle purchased in Chicago suburb By United Press International CHICAGO — Authorities announced yesterday they had found another bottle of poison-tainted Extra-Strength Tylenol capsules, which have already killed seven people. Broad-reports said investigators were weighing the chance one more existed. Investigators refused to comment on the case beyond confirming the new bottle—the eighth to be found — was purchased in a supermarket in Wheaton, Ill., a western suburb. The deaths occurred between Sept. 29 and Oct. 1. A team of more than 100 investigators have pursued a narrowing range of leads with little success. The broadcast reports included the possibility the random poisonings were an effort to cover up one murder. NBC-TV and affiliate WMAQ-TV said investigators were looking into the possibility the cyanide used in the poisonings was purchased in Racine, Wis. RACINE AUTHORITIES and the Chicago police said they knew nothing about the reports on Mr. Baldwin's case. Advertisements began appearing on television networks, emphasizing Tylonel bottles now are A spokesman said the ad was designed to communicate "the outrage of what happened in Chicago and discusses the action that was taken." The ad will be taken to further protect the consumer. In Grand Junction, Colo., rat poison was discovered in a bottle of Maximum Strength Anacin capsules purchased in Grand Junction. Anacin capsules were then sold to the manufacturer said it was an isolated incident. AUTHORITIES DECLINED to order a recall and the product remained on sale in the store where the bottle of poisoned capsules was purchased. The bottle of Maximum Strength Anacin capsules was purchased earlier this month by an unidentified Bridget junction woman, according to the Mesa County district director for the Mesa Count'y Health Department. Douville said the woman thought one of the capsules looked suspicious and contacted local authorities. The battle was given to an investigator from the Food and Drug Administration for tests more than a week ago, Douville said. ALSO YESTERDAY, four supermarkets in Grand Junction removed boxes of frozen Johnston pies after a chocolate pie Sunday night was found to contain a tranquilizer capsule. Kav From page one Regan also said scrapping next year's tax cut could spark another downward trend in fuel prices. "The higher marginal tax rates as a result of a repeal would reduce savings and investment, lower real economic growth and reduce job opportunities." he said. Kay, who vowed not any attempts to delay or repeal the tax cut, said Slattery wanted to abandon the administration's economic policies and reinstate traditional Democratic programs. "HE IS FOLLOWING the example that has been set by (House Speaker Thomas P.) Tip O'Neill and Ted Kennedy through the years," he said of Slattery. "He wants to turn back the economy to higher taxes and higher spending. And that means higher interest rates and higher inflation rates because it's the same program that we are just now trying to turn around after Kay, a Lawrence insurance executive, said he would continue to focus on his difference with Slattery on the tax cut because of the pressure the measure would have in the 2nd District. "He wants to take money out of our economy to send to Washington, D.C.," he said, "and he's taking millions and millions of dollars away from our businesses, to send back there." RESPONDING TO KAYS' announcement, Kay Fernandez, Slater's press secretary, said the Topeka Democrat's position was being twisted by Kay for political gain. Auto valve may reduce pollution, fuel cost By United Press International WASHINGTON — The Transportation Department, at the request of two influential congressmen and the vice president's office, will test whether a new valve really boosts auto fuel economy and power, while drastically cutting emissions. According to the two Arizona men who developed the intake manifold valve — Sherwon Webster and Richard Heise — it would allow use of 75-octane gas, eliminating the need for heat and other additives. The lowest available octane now is 87. for any pollution-control devices, the developers say. The 75-octane gasoline would be about 20 cents per gallon cheaper and require no lead. THE VALVE also would eliminate the need Preliminary private tests have been promising, according to an unpublished report from the Congressional Research Service. The new tests will be conducted with the cooperation of Chrysler Corp., which will provide technical aid and equipment. According to the developers, the valve utilizes two bonded wire-mesh screens to thoroughly vaporize gasoline entering the cylinder, eliminating gas droplets that produce hot and cold spots in a cylinder. If feasible, therefore, the valve would eliminate the need for higher octane gas, lead and other additives used to fight this problem. BUT DESPITE promising early tests, the valve's developers have had little luck persisting the industry to exploit it. But they have quietly attracted many high-pleased investors during the last two years, including former President Gerald Ford. During the past two years, the valve has quietly undergone several tests by the Ethyl Corp., Ford Motor Co., and the Environmental Testing Corp. Ford Motor was dissatisfied with its tests. A spokesman told United Press International, "We tested it, and we found it wasn't advantageous for Ford." HOWEVER, OTHER tests were more favorable, leading Chrysler to cooperate in the federal tests. "We don't know if it will work." He said. "We'd like to be able to know more about it." Reagan moves Watt aide to top energy post By United Press International WASHINGTON — President Reagan has chosen Donald Hodel, an interior undersecretary, to succeed James Edwards as secretary of energy, it was reported yesterday. Hodel, 47, was administrator of the Bonneville Power Administration from 1972 to 1977 before founding his own firm, Hodel Associates Inc., a company of a number of major western utility companies. Hodel, a former energy consultant, will replace Edwards, a South Carolina oral surgeon, who is leaving his position to become president of the University of South Carolina, the Washington Post said. HODEL'S JOB has been to push Interior Secretary James Watt's policies through the Interior bureaucracy. The Post said he was given credit within the agency for the changes Watt has brought in relaxing restrictions on development of public lands. W. Kenneth Davis, a former Bechtel Corp. executive who served under Edwards as deputy Energy Secretary, also is expected to resign after the election, the Post said. Irene Wischer, a Texas oil executive, is being considered for the No. 2 position in the department. Wischer is president and chief executive officer of Panhandle Producing Co. of San Antonio, an oil and gas company founded by her late husband. Mideast From page one Asked why the massacre was not halted, and why the Phalange were allowed to stay in the camp until about 5 a.m. Saturday morning, Sharon said: Lebanon entered West Beirut Sept. 15, a day after Lebanese President-elect Beshir Gemayel was "The Phalaenone don't have communications like us. I know how long it would take to leave a place." SHARON CONFIRMED that the Israeli government met in special session Sept. 16 to hear status reports on the invasion, just as the Phalange moved into the camps. "The central motive for allowing the Phalange to act was without doubt our wish to save the man." The defense minister stressed that the only apprehensions the army had about letting the Phalange in the camps was that they were not "combat-ready." Sharon said he first learned of the massacre from Chief of Staff LT. Gen. Rafael Eitan, who flew in from Beirut on the eve of Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. AN ACCURATE count of the death toll at Sabra and Chatilia may never be known. Lebanese military prosecutors said 328 were confirmed killed and 901 were missing, but a list compiled for the Lebanese government showed 762 bodies were recovered and an estimated 1,200 more were taken from the camps for private burial. Sharon said he attempted to inform Begin of the massacre the afternoon of September 18, but was told Begin was in synagogue. Begin's aides have responded that the massacre on a news broadcast later that day.