14B = THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN A SPORTS MONDAY, AUGUST 18, 2003 Football eligibility not an issue for Colorado By Anthony J. Cerretani Colorado Daily via U-WIRE University of Colorado BOULDER, Colo. — Those pesky eligibility issues are finally out of the way for the University of Colorado football team. Questions of academic eligibility that were on the table prior to the start of fall camp, questions that could have effected the strength of the defensive line how now been answered. narnett Tuesday after the Buffs sixth practice in route to a scrimmage that took place on Saturday. "Everyone on our football team is eligible," said head coach Gary With that out of the way, Barnett and company can focus on the players that are beginning to stand out. According to Barnett, after Tuesday's practice, the Buffs, looked sharp. "Much sharper than maybe we've been in the past at this point in time so I was encouraged [on] both sides of the ball," he said. But that sharpness could keep questions posed, specifically as to who will be taking snaps at the line of scrimmage. It still looks as if jealol Klatt will hit the field first on August 30 when the Buffs take on Colorado State at Invesco Field in Denver, but freshman James Cox and sophomore Erik Greenberg could be nipping at his heals. "We're really splitting Klatt and Cox with the first unit and Cox is hanging in there pretty good," said Barnett. "Cox today drive a drive for a touchdown and Greenberg led a drive for a touchdown." For Barnett, the questions weren't stressful ones, rather, he's enjoying how fall camp is playing out. "It's fun watching all this competition," he said. Specifically, aside from the quarterback position, there's also significant competition at the secondary, the wide receiver positions and at the kicking position. At the running back spot, freshman Brandon Caesar has already made a name for himself in Barnett's eyes. Despite the presence of both Bobby Purify and Brian Calhoun, who last year rushed for 56.8 and 22.9 yards per outing respectively, CU still lost its leading rusher, Chris Brown, to the Tennessee Titans in this year's draft. Brown led the Bucks last year, averaging 158.5 yards per game, 100 yards more than Purify, who was second on the year for CU. Caesar could help pick up the slack. "Caesar has just put his name in the mix now. He's been really impressive this camp. In fact he was really impressive on a couple of drives here," said Barnett. "He's put himself in a position now where he's a legitimate guy in the mix." According to Barnett, Caesar is more focused and has a greater comprehension of how the system works. He's like a different player than he was in the spring." The depth that's needed at the running back position is definitely not lost on Barnett. "We needed that. We all do, everybody does," said Barnett. "Our schedule and this league, the pounding these guys take, you're going to need to play three of them probably." Maryland's violation may be major, but its recruitment still ranked high By Corey Masisak The Diamondback via U-WIRE University of Maryland COLLEGE PARK, Md. George Covington had known for some time he wanted to orally commit to the University of Maryland football team. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound defensive end from Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt, Md., hesitated last week when news that the recruiting violations involving Victor Abiamiri would be classified as major, said Miller Safrit, who covers ACC recruiting for TheInsiders.com. But the Terrapins were placed on probation for one year last Monday, and Covington's oral commitment came soon after. If his lack of concern for the penalty is any indication, the Terps recent recruiting success is not going to be derailed. University of Maryland Public Infractions Report Covington "Obviously it's going to be a factor. People are going to try and use it against us." James Franklin recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach just wanted to talk with the coaches and he wanted to find out what the penalty was," Safrit said. "The coaching staff has done a great job of being upfront with the kids." Despite losing Abiamiri to Notre Dame, last year's recruiting haul was considered one of the program's best in years. The group is led by a bevy of local blue-chip prospects, including linebacker Wesley Jefferson (Gwynn Park), quarterback Ryan Mitch (DeMatha) and wide receiver Vernon Davis (Dunbar). The Terps were able to keep other programs from swooping in to steal players after the announcement that NCAA rules had been broken last spring, and this year they will have to deal with another recruiting disadvantage as a result of the decision. "Obviously it's going to be a factor," recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach James Franklin said, "People are going to try and use it against us. What I do know is coach Friedgen has integrity and character, and that what's this program is going to be all about." Recent history suggests the Terps' recruiting efforts will not be seriously hampered. Other schools that have received one-year probation sentences as a result of violations have not been significantly hurt. In 1996, Florida State was placed on one year of probation for failing to take appropriate action when agents might have been involved with its football players. The Seminoles continued to sign marquee recruits and won 56 of 62 games the next five seasons, including the 1999 national championship. Virginia received a two-year probation sentence in 1993 for providing extra benefits to players and coaches, impermissible recruiting and a lack of institutional control. The next season the Cavaliers welcomed a class featuring future NFL stars quarterback Aaron Brooks and wide receiver Germane Crowell. In 1995, Virginia became the first ACC team to defeat Florida State since it joined the conference in 1992 and was co-ACC champion. "These kids aren't going to be affected by one year of probation," Safrit said. "Most of them are going to redshift next year, and they are going to be there four or five years. The schools that are affected are the ones like Alabama that get more than two years of probation." Fans eager to begin Coach Fran era The Associated Press COLLEGE STATION, Texas In only nine months, new Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione has given the Aggies an entirely new look. He's tinkered with the offense, welcoming a competition at quarterback between Reggie McNeal and Dustin Long and found another position for multi-talented Jason Carter. He's also changed the defense to the 4-3 from the 3-4 that had been the alignment of choice in Agileland for 25 years. Now, after a successful spring, Franchione is eager for the opener on Aug. 30 against Arkansas State so he can see how much the Aggies have progressed. "August 30 about 11:30 at night, I'll know a lot more about our football team," Franchione said. "You reach a point where you know you need to keep practicing, but you also know you need to play a game to get better. Generally, after 20-something practices you get to a point that you can't improve until you play a game." Franchione has settled into his new job nicely, shaking off the affects of a nasty departure from Alabama. Since leaving behind angry fans and players who felt he'd betrayed them, he's immersed himself and his staff in new culture and tradition at A&M. The Aggies were ready for a change following a mediocre 6-6 season that included an embarrassing 50-20 loss to the rival Texas Longhorns. That turned out to be the final game for coach R.C. Slocum, the most successful coach in a storied A&M history that includes Bear Bryant. Despite the Aggies' success at passing last season, Franchione is eager to establish a running game. He's counting on tailbacks Derek Farmer or Courtney Lewis to give A&M its first 1,000-yard rusher since 1998.