Wednesday, September 1, 1999 The University Daily Kansan Section B · Page 3 Pain stalls Sampras' record run The Associated Press NEW YORK — Pete Sampras winced as he bent to ease into the chair, the strain on his back sending spasms through his body, the pain etched on his face. The four-time U.S. Open champion withdrew from that tournament Monday after hurting his back during practice Sunday. The herniated disc delayed Sampras' bid for a 13th Grand Slam championship, a scenario that was falling neatly in place until he went to hit on the eve of the Open with Gustavo Kueren. "I went for a shot," he said. "It was on a return of serve. I went for this backhand return, and I felt it. I did not hear anything, but I felt something go." He said it felt like he was stabbed by a knife. "It scared me. There's no question it scared me. I just walked off the court." player. Sampras asked tournament officials to delay his first match until today, a courtesy that was quickly granted to the top-seeded And then he waited for the pain to subside. "Sunday night and Monday, I felt I had some back spasms," he said. "It was something I could get a Wednesday start and kind of work on them." do work through, just do whatever I can to play." "I felt it in trying to fall asleep," he said. "Every time I moved a different direction, I was feeling it. Moving around, picking up things, just doing the day-to-day stuff people do. You know you need your back to do whatever you need to do." small disc tear in the lower spine. Sampasr with-drew from the U.S. Open day after hurting his back Hainline ordered an MRI and a CAT scan. The tests revealed a small dis tear in the k before it became anything serious," Hainline said. "There's a very, very focal tear right in the center. It's not pressing on any nerves. It's relatively small. We would expect him to recover fully from this." The treatment involves rest, followed by exercises and perhaps a month or two away from the courts. The news devastated Sampras, who had been poised to make his run at the Grand Slam record at an event where he prospered. "I really wanted to have a chance to play here," he said. "I'm not saying I was going to win here or whatever, but to break the all-time record was a dream that I had, to do it here in New York." Sampras finished 1986 with 11 Grand Slam titles. His victory at Wimbledon gave him 12, tying him with Roy Emerson and bringing him to the hard courts of Flushing Meadows, a favorite surface. He was playing well, felt he was in good shape and anticipated making a major run at the Open. New quarterback for Rams fierce, intense The Associated Press ST. LOUIS — The newest quarterback for the St. Louis Rams pumps iron with the offensive linemen and thinks like a linebacker. Less than 24 hours after Trent Green suffered a season-ending knee injury in Saturday's 24-21 preseason win against the San Diego Chargers, the Rams traded a seventh-round draft pick to Oakland for Paul Justin. For now, Justin will serve as the backup to Kurt Warner. Justin almost became a Ram earlier this summer. A few days before the team reported to training camp in Macomb, Ill., the Rams offered him a one-year contract. But Coach Dick Vermeil couldn't even promise Justin that he would compete with Warner for the backup job, so Justin walked away. "The situation didn't present itself the way I would have liked it." Justin said. Instead, Justin signed with Oakland in mid-August, where he spent an uneventful two weeks. Then the Rams called. "It's an unfortunate thing that happened to Trent." Justin said. "The guy was playing awesome. But the Rams like what I've done in the past and hopefully I can bring it here." Justin's coach at Arizona State, Larry Marmie, once said that Justin had the mentality of a linebacker. "I've toned it down a little." Justin said. "I used to fight, whatever. any time someone did something to me, my teammates, my offense." Justin's career totals are 211 completions in 366 attempts (57.7 percent) for 2,523 yards, eight touchdown passes and 10 interceptions. Underwood says he's committed to Miami The Associated Press DAVIE, Fla. — After weeks of wavering, rookie defensive end Dimitrius Underwood returned to football yesterday and pledged his 100-percent commitment to the Miami Dolphins. The workout was the first for the unpredictable rookie since Aug. 2, when he walked out on the Minnesota Vikings after one practice to focus on his religious faith. Underwood said his career with the Dolphins would last longer. Underwood, 22, arrived at the Dolphins' complex one day late after missing two flights from Michigan. Underwood has a five-year contract, and the Dolphins consider him a long-term investment. But Coach Jimmy Johnson didn't discount the possibility that his newest lineman would play this season. "He had an excellent practice, and without question he's an excellent prospect," Johnson said. "We had him rated as the top defensive end in the entire draft, and nothing he did today makes us change our mind." Minnesota took Underwood with the 29th pick in the first round. Underwood considered a career in the ministry after leaving the Vikings. They released him Aug. 11, and he was claimed on waivers by Miami after 23 other teams passed. Underwood declined to tell reporters what changed his mind about playing football. Money isn't his motivation, he said. Underwood sacrificed a $1.75 million signing bonus by leaving the Vikings, and he'll settle for a base salary of $395,000 in Miami. Broncos choose Griese as successor for Elway DENVER — Bubby is out and Brian is in. In a stunning move, Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan benched quarterback Bubby Brister Monday. Brister was the heir apparent to the retired John Elway, but will be replaced by second-year pro Brian Griese into the starting role. The Associated Press Just two weeks before the start of the regular season, the Broncos decided to go with a talented but unproven quarterback who has never started an NFL game. Griese has played in just one NFL regular-season game, subbing for Brister in the fourth quarter of a victory against Philadelphia last season going 1-of-3 for 2 yards with an interception. Shanahan, whose team is seeking an unprecedented third straight Super Bowl title, seemed unfazed by what most observers called a risky gamble. "It's not that Bubby Brister has not played at the level I think he can," Shanahan said. "It's that Brian Griese has played so well throughout camp and preseason games that I think he deserves that opportunity." "If I didn't feel like Brian could take us all the way, I wouldn't have ever made this decision." The change was made a day after the Broncos were embarrassed 22-12 in Dallas, their second straight dismal performance on national television. Denver was routed 27-12 by Green Bay in the previous game. Brister, 37, inherited the starting job after going 4-0 in the games he started last season in place of the injured Elway. Under his stewardship, the two-time Super Bowl champions are just 2-2 this preseason. "The pressure to replace a guy like John Elway is tremendous, and the scrutiny by the media is something that is overwhelming." Shanahan said. During four preseason games, Brister completed 31 of 50 passes for 302 yards, no touchdowns and three interceptions for a quarterback rating of 53.9. He twice threw interceptions on his first pass attempt of the game. In Brister's defense, the Broncos' firstteam offense has not performed well as a unit. An abundance of penalties, missed assignments and dropped passes have plagued the team. "Our offensive woes are not the fault of one plaver," Shanahan said. The defense has not played much better either, and as a team the Broncos have averaged at least eight penalties this preseason. But Griese has shined in the preseason, even if most of his work has come against second- and third-team defenses. Shanahan said Griese had impressed him in everything he does — how he handles himself on offense, running game, passing game; how he handles himself in the huddle; the way he understands defense; his protection scheme, how he handles himself with the blitz under fire. Griese, 24, who led Michigan to a Rose Bowl victory and a shared national championship in 1998, has completed 56 of 64 passes for 605 yards. Denver's six touchdowns and one interception for a 106.5 rating in the preseason. ("Brian) has consistently played better than I thought he would at this point in his career, and that's why he's getting this chance," Shanahan said. "He's been playing against the first-team defense (in practice), and he picks this (offensive scheme) up as quick as anyone I've ever been around." Griese, the son of Hall of Fame quarterback Bob Griese of the Miami Dolphins, will play a minimum of two series with the first team in Denver's final preseason game against the San Francisco 49ers on Friday night. Shanahan said he might play as long as one half, with Denver's third-string quarterback, Chris Miller, playing the other half. Brister, allowed to skip Monday's running drills, might not play against the 49ers. Miller, a veteran who was out of football three years because of recurring concussions, signed with the Broncos last spring. He has played sparingly because of persistent tendinitis in his throwing elbow, but Shanahan said the quarterback threw without pain Monday. Shanahan said he would know more about Miller's status today when the team returns to the practice field. Asked if he thought Brister would come back to work today with a positive attitude, Shanahan said: "I just know what kind of guy Bubby is. He'll be there just like he has been in the past. He's disappointed, but he's going to come back in and support Brian, just like Brian has supported him. "Brian's going to have some growing pains," Shanahan said. If necessary, "Bubby can come in and provide the spark, just like he did last year." Groceries the way it used to be, Groceries the way it should be. 843-2313 • 9th & Iowa SHASTA POP 298 24 PK. 12 OZ. CANS