UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Friday, October 27, 1995 9A Yeltsin hospitalized after another heart attack The Associated Press MOSCOW — President Boris Yeltsin was hospitalized yesterday with an apparent heart attack, the second in four months, ITAR-Tass news agency quoted a top administrative aide as saving. Yeltsin was reportedly rushed to the Central Clinical Hospital just three days after he returned from the United States, where he addressed the United Nations at its 50th anniversary celebration and held a summit with President Clinton. Top presidential aide Viktor Ilyushin blamed the attack on overwork. It was brought on by "the intellectual, moral and physical pressure on the president of Russia during his last trip," ITAR-Tass reported him as saying. Yeltsin was brought to the hospital yesterday afternoon from his country residence, where he had been resting since returning Tuesday to Russia, ITAR-Tass said. Ilyushin quoted the representative of the clinic, Sergel Mironov, as saying Yeltsiin's condition was insufficient blood supply to the heart and was related news agencies said Yeltsin was stricken with the same heart problem he was hospitalized with in July, acute ischemia. to his previous illness. The condition restricts the supply of blood to the heart. Symptoms include difficulty breathing or chest pains, and an attack can be caused by stress, high cholesterol, age or chronic high blood pressure. The 64-year-old president has been dogged by persistent rumors about his drinking habits and poor health. But Yeltsin had appeared fitter recently, and Before leaving for the United States, Yeltsin told reporters he was fit enough to challenge President Jacques Chirac of France to a tennis game. Yeltsin visited Paris before coming to the United States. his aides had been talking about him bidding another presidential term in elections next summer. Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdyn, Yeltsin's No. 2, would take over if the president were unable to serve. Elections would have to be held within three months if the president died. It was unclear whether Yeltsin would be able to hold a meeting of the leaders of Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia scheduled for Tuesday. Other plans include a visit to China early next month. Presidential aides initially tried to play down the attack in July, claiming it was only a minor aliment. While he was in the hospital, they put out an old photo of him at work in an apparent attempt to show he was up and about. Yeltsin later said in a television interview that he had suffered a heart attack. His aides earlier had denied he had a heart attack. Immigrant vote vital to future of Quebec The Associated Press MONTREAL — The battle over whether Quebec leaves Canada is a battle for the soul of the province's French-speaking majority. But in a race too close to call, voters from places like China and Greece will play a pivotal role. Recent immigrants account for 10 percent of Quebec's 7.3 million people.A majority of them favor staying in Canada, and many worry that a separatist victory in Monday's referendum would transform them into outsiders in their own home. However, even slight immigrant support could swing the vote in favor of secession. The largest immigrant groups are Italians and Greeks, but there are nearly 300,000 Blacks and Asians. There was dismay in their communities when separatist leader Lucien Bouchard recently referred to Quebeckers as "one of the white races." "To us, we are all Quebeckers, and it's disappointing when someone makes a distinction," said Cynthia Lam, a Chinese-Canadian woman who directs an organization in Chinatown helping immigrants get settled. Gaby Luonga-Kombe, a Zaire native who heads an anti-racism group, said he received threatening phone calls after he publicly criticized Bouchard's remark. "We're in a democratic country. but we can't even say what we think." he said. Polls indicate that separatists could at most expect to get 10 percent of the immigrant vote, but even that margin would markedly improve separatists' chances of victory. Roland Tsai, a wealthy investment banker who emigrated from Taiwan eight years ago, won't say how he will vote because he doesn't want to alienate either side. But he says that once he learned French, he found Quebec a haven. "I never had a sense of discrimination," he said. "I've traveled elsewhere where I never felt I belonged, but I feel welcome here." Bouchard, after the furor over his remark, expressed regret at his choice of words. "I believe in my heart that all people in Quebec are citizens of Quebec and equal citizens, whatever the color of the skin or the language," he said. Some separatists have complained in advance about the possibility that English-speakers and immigrants — by overwhelmingly opposing independence — could thwart secession even if a majority of French Quebecker voted yes. Some have predicted an ant-immigrant backlash if the separatists lose. Quebec's premier, Jacques Parizeau, was forced to fire adviser Pierre Bourgault earlier this year after he warned that a dangerous situation would ensue if Quebec in the polls Percent of Quebec residents polled who approve of referendum proposing sovereignty for Quebec: Data taken from path taken by Canadian Embassy; 3.5% error margin; research by MIT CA88 ethnic voters frustrated the will of the francophone majority. But she added, "This is my home. I'm no less a Quebecker than the next person." "As a minority in a minority, we understand the aspirations of the Quebec people," she said. "They're very busy protecting their language and culture. They can't afford to take care of everybody else's aspirations at the same time." Tourism dwindles in France New plan strives to lure tourists from other vacation destinations The Associated Press PARIS — Nuclear testing, a wave of terrorist bombings and stiff competition from friendlier European destinations are driving tourists away from France, the world's No.1 vacation spot. But the French government, agast at the specter of shrinking lines outside the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre, is fighting back with an aggressive plan to woo back wary francophiles and seduce new ones. President Jacques Chirac's resumption of nuclear testing in the South Pacific has prompted Japanese, Scandinavian, Australian and other environmentally-aware travelers to cancel visits to France, Tourism Minister Francoise de Panafieu said Wednesday. a wave of terrorist bombings that has left seven dead and more than 160 wounded since July also has scared off many francophiles. De Panafieu said comprehensive figures on the tourism slump wouldn't be available until the end of the year. "But attendance is clearly down in public places such as museums, the main tourist attractions and department stores." she said. A representative from the Louvre said the number of visitors was down 14 percent in September compared to a year earlier. France's national railway company reports that rail traffic declined considerably in August and September, after bombings in the subway and near the Champs-Elysées. France has begun international campaigns to reassure would-be travelers about security measures, de Panafieu said. She also acknowledged that the nuclear tests have prompted environmentally conscious Scandinavians to go elsewhere, namely Austria, Canada or Norway. Tourism has shown no growth in the last three years, they said, citing stiff competition from other European destinations as the primary cause. But tourism officials said the stagnation in the $27 billion tourist industry predates both the decision to resume nuclear tests and the recent terror campaign. "Italy is our main rival," said Jean-Marc Janailac, a representative of the Maison de la France, a government agency that promotes French tourism around the world. "It has a very congenial and young image, and its cuisine, fashion and design have a lot of appeal." Sunny, cheaper Spain has become a popular summer destination also for tourists who once opted for France's Riviera. One man's trash is another man's cash The Associated Press read, "Congratulations." You have won $200,000 toward a new home." PEABODY, Mass. — Think there's nothing but garbage in the trash? Craig Randall didn't think so, and now he's $200,000 richer. He drove to Wendy's yesterday in his garbage truck with his fiancee and two lawyers to pick up his prize $099.99 Randall, 23, a garbage truck driver from East Bridgewater, saw an old Wendy's restaurant contest cup in a heap of garbage in the back of his truck two months ago. Remembering that he'd won a free chicken sandwich the previous week, he pulled off the contest sticker, which an oversized check for $200,000. Although Randall is not obliged to spend his winnings on a new home, his fliance, Michelle Dacey, said that was what he planned to do. "That's all he's ever talked about since I met him — buying a house," Dacey said. peeled the sticker off the cup, he said. "I was in shock," Randall said. "It said it was worth $200,000, but I didn't believe it. I thought it was another hoax. I pretty much blew it off." Randall was stunned when he Randall stuffed the sticker into his pocket and went back to work. "I remembered it when I got home later and showed my girlfriend," he said. Randall mailed in the sticker and found out that the prize was legitimate. The Etc. Shop 928 Mass.Downtown Halloween Party The party is on Friday Oct.27th At the Holiday Inn PRIZES FOR BEST COSTUMES Dance your brains out from 9pm to 2am $4.00 cover charge WEHADJOY, WEHADFUN WESHOPPEDAT 734 MASSACHUSETTS-DOWNTOWN LAWRENCE-913-749-2377 OPEN LATE THURS-FRI-SAT LEATHER JEWELRY 12 E.8TH NOW OPEN! SHOWOFFS Boutique BODY PIERCING STUDIO LINGERIE (913) 838-3366 When you pick up the please pick up all of it.. Kansan... THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN LesBiGayS OK Halloween Dance When: TONITE, 9 pm - 2 am Where: Club HideAway 106 N. Park St 106 N. Park St. Wear: Your clothes! Costumes too. 18 to enter (IDrequired)