UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Wednesday, October 18, 1995 9A Bomb injures 29 in Paris subway attack The Associated Press PARIS — A bomb exploded under a seat on a commuter train during morning rush hour yesterday, blowing off some passengers' feet in the eighth bombing or attempted bombing in France since July. At least 29 people were injured. The bomb was a gas canister loaded with hex nuts. Police consider that type of device to be the trademark of Algerian militants opposed to France's support of the military-installed government in Algiers. Shortly after the underground train pulled out of the Musee d'Orsay station, there was a huge explosion, a passenger told France 2 television. "The train stopped and the engineer told us, 'Don't move!' At that point we were engulfed in smoke. After a few seconds we heard the first cries from the injured." The silver train car was ripped open. Seared orange vinyl seats were scattered about, and twisted steel was heaped all around. Police and firefighters went on high alert and sealed off the area, across the Seine River from the Louvre Museum. Prime Minister Alain Juppe, Interior Minister Jean-Louis Debre and Mayor Jean Tiberi rushed to the scene. Helicopters flew the most seriously hurt to hospitals, while firefighters carried other bloodied and bandaged victims to ambulances. The explosion occurred at about 7:05 a.m. on the RER line in a tunnel between the St. Michel and the Musee d'Orsay stations in central Paris, officials said. The subway line, a main artery used by commuters living in the suburbs south and west of the French capital, hugs the Seine. France has suffered a wave of bombings since a bomb exploded in a packed subway car at the same St. Michel station July 25, killing seven people and wounding 84. Yesterday's bombing raised the injury toll to at least 155. President Jacques Chirac said he was indignant at the latest attack and was determined to do everything to prevent and repress fanatic violence. Juppe told a hushed National Assembly that France would not let itself be intimidated and would not capitulate to barbarism. The Armed Islamic Group based in Algeria has claimed responsibility for most of the other bombings, and has staged attacks at home designed to sabotage the Nov. 16 presidential election. Algeria's President Lamine Zeroual, a retired general appointed to the office, is favored to win the vote in the former French colony. Islamic militants are angry over Chirac's plans to meet with Zeroual in New York this month during United Nations' 50th anniversary celebrations. Foreign Ministry spokesman Jacques Rummelhardt insisted yes. terday that the meeting has nothing to do with the presidential campaign in Algeria. "It is a normal meeting between two heads of state of two important countries," he said. More than 30,000 people have died in a Muslim insurgency in Algeria since the government canceled legislative elections the Islamic Salvation Front was expected to win. Thai judge orders American to prison Reporter accused of smuggling heroin gets life sentence The Associated Press BANGKOK, Thailand — An American journalist who tried to smuggle heroin sewn into the lining of his suitcase was sentenced yesterday to life in prison without parole. "I'm totally outraged," said Steven Roye, 49, an Emmy award-winning reporter who once worked for WWOR-TV in New Jersey. "I'm in total disbelief. A life sentence for what? Even if I had done it, I didn't deserve life. You should give a life sentence to killers." Roye was arrested Oct. 20 of last year at Bangkok's Don Muang International Airport while trying to board a flight to Amsterdam with 6 1/2 pounds of heroin in his suitcase, police said. He originally pleaded not guilty, saying he had been forced to carry the heroin while researching drug-trafficking links between Thailand and the United States for a story. He said criminals threatened to harm his family if he didn't smuggle the heroin. Roye changed his plea to guilty in August. His lawyers had advised him then that by pleading guilty he could expect a 25-year sentence instead of life without parole. Technically, he could have received the death penalty. Thada Rojanaprateep, Roye's lawyer, said his client received a life sentence because he didn't plead guilty when he was first charged. The court said it didn't order the death penalty because Roye had changed his plea to guilty. Although Thai law calls for the death penalty for drug traffickers, no foreigner has been executed in recent decades for the crime. "I was totally gone when they read the sentence," Roye said. "I expected I might get 25, 30 or even 35 years, but I never expected a life sentence." Roye said he was too stunned to say whether he would appeal or what his next step would be. With no parole possible, his best hope is a pardon from King Bhumipol Aduladyej. The king has occasionally pardoned foreigners in prison for drug offenses after they have served a few years. Maine voters consider gay rights The Associated Press AUGUSTA, MAINE — The most divisive issue on Maine's Nov. 7 ballot is an anti-gay rights measure that doesn't even use the words homosexual or sexual orientation. The first question seeks to limit state and local rights guarantees to age, sex and eight other categories in the Maine Human Rights Act. If passed, the measure would repeal a gay rights ordinance that voters approved two years ago in Portland. Backers warn that without a ban, homosexuals will get special rights such as gay affirmative action in hiring. "They have acceptance. They have toleration. If they were smart, they would simply accept that and stop this push for minority-class status," said Carolyn Cosby, a Portland housewife who formed Concerned Maine Families, which put the measure on the ballot. She said she had omitted the word homosexuality to avoid the appearance of gay bashing. But that is exactly what opponents see. Opponents of the measure, who include Gov. Angus King, decry fears of special rights for gays as bogus. "Maine hasn't, Maine doesn't and Maine won't discriminate," said King, the nation's only independent governor, at last month's campaign kickoff for Maine Won't Discriminate. The group's allies include the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland, the Maine Medical Association, the Maine Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Maine Municipal Association, representing the state's cities and towns. By mid-October, Maine Won't Discriminate raised $655,289,compared with $61,000 collected by Concerned Maine Families and its ally, the Coalition to End Special Rights. Tennis star Martina Navratilova, a lesbian, warned voters that the measure, like one approved in Colorado, sent the message that it was OK to discriminate against gay men and lesbians. Dole admits mistake to gay group The Associated Press WASHINGTON — Reversing course, Sen. Bob Dole, R-Kan., said yesterday that it was a mistake for his presidential campaign to return a $1,000 contribution from a gay Republican group. He blamed his campaign for not clearing the decision with him. "I think if they had consulted me they wouldn't have done that," the Senate majority leader told reporters. "I just didn't agree with what happened." Dole previously had defended his campaign's August decision to return a contribution from the Log Cabin Republicans. At the time, campaign officials said the Log Cabin agenda didn't agree with Dole's views. Dole said earlier that he didn't subscribe to the Log Cabin agenda, "I don't know who all contributes to my campaign. But if it's somebody with a special agenda, we're not going to accept their money." Yesterday, Dole had a different response. Since then, Tafel said, Dole has been backing away slowly from the decision. In Dole's case, Tafel said, the contribution was prompted by the senator's nondiscrimination policy and his support for such legislation as the Ryan White Act, which provides money for AIDS sufferers. One critic of the refund, Rep. Steve Gunderson, R-Wis., said Dole last month assured him he had never advocated discrimination against any American. Gunderson, who is gay, said Dole sought and obtained his continued active and visible support for his presidential campaign. Hey Student Artists! Submit your work Now thru November 6th by 5:00pm for a fall exhibition ALL STUDENTS WELCOME TO APPLY !! Exhibit Dates are November 13 thru December 7th To be exhibited in the Kansas Union Gallery Pick up applications at the SUA office from 9-5 pm, level 4, Kansas Union For more information call 864-347 1995 KANSAS VOLLEYBALL Jayhawks vs. Cyclones Tonight! KU vs. Iowa State Wed. Oct. 18 8:00pm Allen Fieldhouse STUDENTS FREE WITH KUID Applications are now available for the eighth year of the Questions? Call 864-3710 Educational Opportunity Fund All departments,units and organizations of the University are eligible to apply. Applications and information may be picked up at the Student Senate Office,410 Kansas Union or the Office of Student Financial Aid,50 Strong Hall. All grants are for the 1996-1997 academic year. Application Deadline: 5:00 PM, October 31, 1995 at the Student Senate Office,410 Kansas Union