6A Tuesday, October 25, 1994 NATION/WORLD UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Clinton intervened: "Let him finish. He wanted to do this. Let him finish." So Hoke continued: "Your suggestion that I would take out a contract on my constituents is a suggestion I take very, very personally." "Ignore him!" somebody in the audience velled. Clinton fights GOP abuse at campaign stop "Your advisers may think that this is cute rhetoric, but I think it's outrageous," Hoke said, before being drowned out by audience members demanding that he get to the point. CLEVELAND — Buoyed by a dose of good economic news, President Clinton faced down a Republican lawmaker who showed up at a campaign stop yesterday to chastise the president for using "inflammatory" language against the GOP. "Question! Question!" several shouted. The Associated Press He took the opportunity to criticize the Clinton for constantly calling the "Contract with America," a list of GOP campaign promises, a "Contract on America." Clinton, capping a three-day swing for Democratic candidates, announced a significant drop in the federal deficit. And, he said, it would skyrrocket again if Republicans gained control of Congress and pushed their agenda of easy promises and muck fixes. He took questions from a generally supportive crowd at the City Club in Cleveland. The audience held a lottery to determine who would ask Clinton questions. By luck of the draw, club member Rep. Martin Hoke, R-Ohio, was one of the winners. Hoke said the phrase "Contract on America" raised images of mobster-related violence. "At a time when the public is so concerned about violent crime, why would you resort to use such talk in such an inflammatory way?" he said. "No. No. Don't ignore him," said Clinton, who then ticked off his standard attack on the GOP promises, which include a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. What the Republicans would deliver, Clinton said, would be a tax cut for the wealthy and increased military spending — proposals "that could only be dealt with with massive cuts in other programs. 'Addams Family actor dies after suffering stroke The Associated Press NEW YORK — Raul Julia, the darkly handsome actor who starred with equal aplomb as Othello on stage and lusty Gomez Addams in the movies "The Addams Family," died yesterday of complications from a stroke. He was 54. He was known for a commanding presence, a thoughtful manner, a strong, resonant voice and a grandly theatrical, physical style. Julia credited Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood" with inspiring him to seek an acting career. "It was one of the first movies I saw, and I decided that was the life for me," he said. "Raul's involvement not only on stage but off, as a board member, has meant a great deal to the institution," said George C. Wolfe, the festival's producer. "He will be deeply missed." The Puerto Rican-born star died at the North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, on Long Island, where he had been admitted after suffering a stroke last week. He will be given a state funeral in Puerto Rico on Thursday. He played a tormented South American political prisoner befriended by a gay man, played by William Hurt in his Oscar-winning performance, in the 1985 movie "Kiss of the Spider Woman." He also played opposite Anjelica Huston as the libidinous Gomez in "The Addams Family" in 1991 and its 1993 sequel "Addams Family Values." The versatile actor first made a name for himself in the late 1960s at Joseph Papp's New York Shakespeare Festival. "He was a wonderful, wonderful person, one of the greats," Huston said. "It's an absolute heartbreaking loss." He was nominated for Tony Awards for "Nine," "Threepenny Opera," "Where's Charley?" and "Two Gentlemen of Verona." Israeli police boost security to prepare for Clinton's visit JERUSALEM — Israel has rounded up dozens of Islamic militants, including two believed to be accomplices in the deadly Tel Aviv bus bombing, amid fears of terror attacks during President Clinton's visit. The Associated Press Clinton is to join 5,000 guests at tomorrow's gala signing of the Israel-Jordan peace treaty at a desert border Fearing that militant fundamentalists may try to disrupt the visit, Israel is mounting a massive security effort. Last night, soldiers shot dead a Palestinian who refused to identify himself at a roadblock near Qalqilya in the West Bank. Israel radio said. Hamas, the militant group that stunned Israel with the bus bombing crossing just north of the Red Sea. He plans to tour Jerusalem the next day. and two other terrorist attacks in the past two weeks, warned yesterday that it would strike again if its leaders were harmed. Twenty-three people, including the bomber, were killed in Wednesday's bus attack. Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin survived a no-confidence motion yesterday in parliament by hawkish parties who blame his peace policies for the increasingly bold terrorist attacks. Legislators rejected the motion 56-50 with one abstention. "The enemy smells your weakness and won't stop striking at us," said Ariel Sharon, a right-wing former defense minister. Israel army radio said intelligence officials had received warnings that Hamas planned a large-scale attack, and a senior police official said security forces were on alert.