8B Friday, September 23, 1994 UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN GAME DAY JOG SUIT Value Priced $5800 Shell 100% Silk Lining 100% Nyton *PLUS* On Game Day Get A Free Cotton Turtle Neck With Your Jog Suit Purchase 20 DIFFERENT STYLES TO CHOOSE FROM Mock & Full Turtlenecks in 6 different colors Downtown Lawrence 922 Massachusetts - 843-6375 Mon. - Sat. 10:00 to 6:00 Sunday Noon to 5:00 open late every Thursday 'till 8:30 Saffir's • VISA•MASTERCARD•DISCOVER•AMEX Budget approved for Head Start WASHINGTON — The House approved funding yesterday for Head Start and other administration priority programs but stalled on a separate spending bill that includes an assurance that lawmakers won't get a raise next year. The Associated Press The House, rushing to complete its work before Congress recesses next month for the year, passed the $247 billion budget for the Labor, Health and Human Services and Education departments for fiscal year 1995. But lawmakers, objecting to several items in the $23.6 billion Treasury, Postal Service and general government budget, sent it back to a House-Senate conference. The latter bill includes language stating that members of Congress, federal judges, the vice president, Cabinet members and senior officers will not be eligible for a 2.6 percent cost-of-living allowance approved for other federal workers. Lawmakers, concerned about their poor image among voters, are overwhelmingly opposed to the raise that would have increased their $133,600 salaries by almost $3,500. The Labor-HHS bill, passed 331-89 by the House, included funding for some of President Clinton's top priority programs, including Head Start, Goals 2000 and the School-to-Work Act, but at levels lower than the administration sought. Both bills were House-Senate compromise plans that must receive both House and Senate approval before going to the president. The bill also delays for a year, until July 1995, implementation of a "85-15" rule that would cut off funding for-for-profit trade schools that receive more than 85 percent of their revenue from federal student aid programs. NEW YORK—The federal courts and the FBI have yelled "Cut!" to TV camera crews that tag along with police and follow them right into suspects' living rooms during a raid. The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled earlier this month that law enforcement officers on a raid have no right to bring "reality TV" shows, such as "COPS", into a house without the owner's permission. The ruling came in an invasion-of-privacy lawsuit brought against CBS after a "Street Stories" camera crew accompanied the Secret Service on a search of a woman's Courts cut out 'reality TV' The Associated Press Shortly before the ruling, the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin warned federal, state and local law enforcement agencies around the nation:"Media participation in enforcement activities that occur in private areas should be specifically prohibited, unless the media obtains consent from individuals occupying those areas." CBS representative Tom Goodman said the network will no longer send a camera crew into a home without the owner's permission. And, of course, getting permission before a raid is impossible. home in 1992. CBS never aired the footage and has settled the suit under confidential terms. Cisneros may be investigated WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department said Thursday it has begun an inquiry into whether a criminal investigation by an independent counsel is warranted over payments HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros says he made to a former girlfriend. Cisneros acknowledged Thursday that he paid more than $50,000 to his former girlfriend after he took office The law requires the attorney general to seek the appointment of an independent counsel by a panel of three federal appeals court judges if information about alleged violations of federal criminal law "is specific enough and from a sufficiently credible source." — something he had denied as recently as July. In response to questions to Attorney General Janet Reno, the Justice Department said later it is proceeding under the Ethics and Government Act to determine whether information it has received about the payments "warrant a preliminary investigation." Such independent counsels are now investigating events surrounding the collapse of a savings and loan institution whose owner was a partner of President and Mrs. Clinton in the failed Whitewater land venture and the travels of Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy. The Justice Department said it "is proceeding as the law requires" after getting information related to material first broadcast by the syndicated television show "Inside Edition" about Cisneros' payments to Linda Mediar. Cisneros said Thursday he paid the money to Medlar on three occasions after January 1993, when he took over the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Golan settlers get support The Associated Press JERUSALEM — Tens of thousands of Israelis streamed to the Golan Heights yesterday in support of settlers protesting a possible Israeli withdrawal from the strategic plateau. The demonstration came as a newspaper reported efforts were under way to arrange an Israeli-Syrian summit. The summit might come in October when U.S. Secretary of State Warren Christopher visits the region. About 50 Golan visitors heckled legislators from the governing Labor Party who visited a tent where eight leaders, most of them party members, had been on hunger strike for 10 days. "Look at what you're doing!" said one woman as the law-makers entered the tent in Gamla. "You're destroying this country. You're giving it up!" Tens of thousands came from all over Israel to Golan to demonstrate their support for Jewish settlements there. A crowd of 4,000 milled around the tent in Gamla, including about 100 Golan cattle farmers. Three Baltimore cops shot BALITMORE — Three undercover police officers were shot Thursday by a uniformed officer during a drug raid. Police had no immediate explanation for why the officer fired on his fellow officers, spokesman Rob Weinhold said. An investigation was to begin immediately. When police arrived at the east Baltimore rowhouse, a suspect ran out the back door, where several plainclothes officers captured him. As the group came into the house, it was met by shots fired by an officer who had come in the front door. Weinhold did not know how many shots were fired. One officer, shot in the left shoulder, was in serious but stable condition after surgery. The other two, each shot in the hand, were in good condition. None of their injuries were considered life-threatening. Alleged spy says he was a U.S. spy The Associated Press "If I have to end up behind bars, I want it to be known for whom I was working," said Jeffrey Schevitz, an American expatriate arrested May 3 on suspicion that he spied on West Germany for communist East Germany from 1977 to 1989. Schevitz, a sociologist and former university professor who moved to BONN, Germany — A one-time American antiwar activist and alleged East German agent charged yesterday that U.S. intelligence officials were his real spymasters and are now trying to cover it up. Germany in 1976, demanded the CIA open files he says will prove he was spying on both Germanies at the behest of an American diplomat. Freed on $65,000 bail Sept. 6. Schevitz wants the U.S. government to intervene with German justice authorities and rescue him from a potentially long prison term. Schevtiz claims his U.S. control officer wanted him to see whether West Germany had any plans to build atomic weapons and try to infiltrate East German intelligence. Schevitz said he let himself be recruited by East German agents and had sources in the chancellor's office in Bonn who fed him information about West Germany. A call to the CIA public affairs office in Langley, Va., late yesterday was not answered. But William Colby, CIA director from 1973 until 1976, called Schevtz's story farfetched. "It's very popular when you get in trouble to say, 'I was working for the CIA,'" Colby said. Schevitz said Colby's denial doesn't surprise him. "They're not going to be able to admit openly" that he was Washington's double agent because that would hurt relations with Bonn, Schevitz said. Preservatives may have cancer fighter The Associated Press NEW YORK — Two widely used food preservatives boosted levels of a natural cancer fighter in laboratory animals and appear to do the same thing in humans, a researcher reported yesterday. When the genes are cranked up, they produce more of the enzyme, which provides better protection against cancer-causing substances in the environment, Dannenberg reported at the International Conference on Cancer Prevention at Rockefeller University in New York. Advocates of natural foods have long decried the use of preservatives, but Andrew Dannenberg, a researcher at Cornell Medical College, found that the preservatives BHA and BHT "revved up" the gene for an enzyme that helps destroy carcinogens before they trigger tumors. The results do not mean that foods should be pumped up with even more preservatives, he said. The findings are important because they uncover a cancer prevention mechanism that appears to be part of the explanation for the well-known anti-cancer properties of broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. "They are amazing vegetables," Dannenberg said. "They have an amazing array of anti-cancer compounds." His research shows that at least part of the effect of those compounds comes from reviving up the same gene affected by BHA and BHT. The gene produces an enzyme called UDP-glucuronosyltransferase or UGT. The study found elevated levels of the enzyme in the liver, kidneys and small intestines of rats fed higher doses of BHA and BHT than were normally found in foods, Dannenberg said. The plague makes deadly comeback Associated Press Bubonic plague, which ravaged 14th-century Europe, was first detected last month in the southern state of Maharashtra. Since then, possibly a more fatal strain of the disease has erupted in the western city of Surat. NEW DELHI, India — Plague has returned to India after a three-decade absence. Spread by fleas from infected rats, the disease has killed at least 24 people and is threatening to move to a major city. The outbreak in Surat, which is choked with slums and open sewers, has killed at least 24 people, a health commissioner said Thursday. More than 100,000 people have fled in panic, Press Trust of India news agency said. The news agency said officials have sealed roads out of affected neighborhoods, but people were still sneaking out. The government has closed schools, colleges, theaters and parks for a week to halt the disease's spread. Unconfirmed reports put the death toll in the city at as high as 60, the United News of India news agency reported. The outbreak has troubled health authorities in Bombay, a city of 12.5 million people just 160 miles south of Surat. Bombay authorities ordered all hospitals in four districts neighboring Surat to stock up on antibiotics. Get your Kansan Card today! Duffy's at the Ramada Presents. CASABLANCA NIGHT "The Only Latin Bar in Lawrence" Venga a celebrar el dia de: Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico y Chile con la mejor música Latina. Every Friday Starting September 9th In the Ramada Inn 6th & Iowa 842-7030 CHRISTIE'S TOY BOX WHERE THE FUN BEGINS! *Adult Novelties *Unusual Greeting Cards - Unique T-Shirts - Unusual Greeting Cards * Exotic Lingerie - *Over-the-Hill* Gifts *Video Sales & Rentals* - "Over-the-Hill" Gifts *Video Sales & Rentals Video Sales & Rentals -Hilarious Party Games - Hilarious Party Games * * Sensuous Oils & Lortions * *Sensuous Oils & Lotions* *Current Monthly Magazines* CURRENT FOREIGN Magazines •T-Back/Thong Swimwear KU students -Rent 1 movie at regular price and get a 2nd movie for 1c 1206 W. 23rd, Lawrence, Ks. 842-4266 LOADED IN LAWRENCE '94 cd release concert Saturday Sept. 25th with Crap Supper, Hatful of Rain, On the Glass Onion deck above Recycled Sounds at 12th and Orea 2:00-5:00 give away, free snacks, discounts, and Live Music!!