8A Thursday, September 22, 1994 UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Jackson's accuser will not testify The Associated Press LOS ANGELES — The child molestation case against Michael Jackson will hang over the entertainer's head for five more years, authorities said yesterday, allowing the boy who once accused Jackson a chance to change his mind and testify in court. Jackson won't be charged for now because the boy has refused to cooperate with authorities since reaching an out-of-court settlement with Jackson in February, Los Angeles County District Attorney Gil Garcetti said. Terms of the agreement were confidential, but it has been reported that Jackson paid the boy as much as $15 million. The investigation began in August 1993, when the boy, now 14, claimed Jackson had sex with him several times during a five-month relationship last year. Garcetti said charges could be filed against Jackson if the teen-ager changes his mind within the five-year statute of limitations time limit. "We have a very important witness who has told us 'I'm sorry. I do not want to and will not testify,' Garcetti said. "And I'm telling you that if he steps forward a month from now, two months from now, and says 'Now I want to testify,' we would re-evaluate our case at that time." Garcetti would not discuss details of the case, saying he didn't want to compromise an investigation that remains open. The announcement was a relief for Jackson, who was recording an album in New York. "I am thankful that the investigation has reached a conclusion. I've continually maintained my innocence." Jackson said in a statement. Jackson lawyer Johnnie Cochran Jr. said he would have preferred the district attorney exonerate Jackson. "I would have liked a clean bill of health. You always like that." Attorney Larry Feldman, who represents the teen-ager, insisted the settlement of the boy's lawsuit did not affect his decision on testifying. "There wasn't a deal," he said. The boy decided not to testify because of stalkers, death threats and constant surveillance by tabloid TV shows, he said. The molestation allegations were investigated by prosecutors in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties. There were more than 400 witnesses, including 30 called before grand juries in the two counties about 100 miles apart. Jackson, 36, has said the investigation has tormented and humiliated him and his family. Santa Barbara County District Attorney Thomas Sneddon Jr. said it was "fairly remote that charges will ever be filed." At one point, Jackson underwent a court-ordered body search that included nude photographs taken to corroborate the boy's allegations. The photos remain locked in a safe deposit box at a Santa Barbara bank. Sat. October 1 Kansas Union 9:00 am - 3:30 pm Conference 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm Community Service Project Conference fee is $12 prior to Sept. 23rd Late registration fee is $15 until Sept. 27th by 5:00 pm Register at the OAC office at 400 Kansas Union Questions? Call 864 - 4861 Sponsored by Sprint, Commerce Bank, Autonomy Group, Kansas Union Bookstores and Student Senate. WASHINGTON — The United States and Japan began a last-ditch effort yesterday to resolve a series of contentious trade disputes. A top U.S. official warned that the United States would no longer employ a turn-the-other-check policy in trade. The Associated Press Lawrence Summers, undersecretary of the Treasury for international affairs, delivered a message as negotiators sought to strike deals to avert trade sanction proceedings. U.S. aims to even trade with Japan - Scholarships are available to those who qualify It has set a Sept. 30 deadline for Japan to conclude successful agreements or face possible U.S. trade sanctions. The administration believes that the market-opening discussions must succeed for the United States to have a hope of narrowing its $60 billion trade gap with Japan. The Clinton administration is pressing Japan to open its markets in a number of priority areas, including insurance and government purchases of medical equipment. Summers told a group of business executives yesterday that the Clinton administration would continue to push for market-opening agreements despite complaints by critics who say the result would be a trade war. WASHINGTON — President Clinton is prepared to offer Russian President Boris Yeltsin more U.S. assistance to dismantle globe-girdling nuclear missiles when they meet here next week. Clinton, Yeltsin to meet The Associated Press The amount will depend on consultations now under way with Congress on defense spending, administration officials told The Associated Press. The aid would be on top of the more than $60 million sent to Moscow and another $200 million appropriated for reducing the Russian arsenal. The missiles are being dismantled under the 1991 START I treaty. Even though Russia's economy has leveled off and may even be rebounding, the expense of cutting the long-range stockpile by about one-third under the treaty is more than Moscow can bear, a top Russian security official, Sergei Karaganof, suggested. In fact, Karaganof said, parliament would reject the 1989 START II treaty, which calls for even deeper reductions, if the accord were submitted now for approval. Clinton will have Russia's economy very much in mind at the summit with Yeltsin next Tuesday and Wednesday. Administration officials said besides offering more assistance the president will take steps to double American investments in Russia from $1 billion to $2 billion. Three American business leaders, Jack Smith of General Motors, Jack Murphy of Dresser Industries and Richard McCormick of U.S. West, will participate in one of Clinton's meetings with Yeltsin at the White House. Even before the summit opens Clinton is moving to ease Russia's access to American markets. He sent Congress a letter Wednesday saying massive emigration of Jews puts Moscow in compliance with Cold War-era legislation and Russia should enjoy most-favored nation trade status indefinitely. Symbolizing the less tense relationship between the two nations, Yeltsin will be lodged at Blair House, the presidential guest mansion on Pennsylvania Avenue, instead of sleeping at the Russian embassy. Protesters march through Moscow The Associated Press MOSCOW—Thousands of opponents of President Boris Yeltsin, including his former vice president, marched through central Moscow yesterday to mark the anniversary of Yeltsin's decree disbanding the Soviet-era parliament. The protesters walked arm-in-arm down a broad avenue to a square near the Kremlin, where former Vice President Alexander Rutskoi and others called for mass acts of civil disobedience. Some gathered signatures for a petition demanding Yeltsin's resignation. The orderly gathering, a year after Yeltsin's decree touched off a parliamentary revolt that led to street battles last October, illustrated the limited strength of the fractured opposition. 4,000 to 10.000. Rallies were also held in St. Petersburg and smaller cities. Rutksol, a bitter Yeltsin foe widely presumed to seek the presidency in 1996 elections, told the ITAR-Tass news agency that he would not run. Crowd estimates ranged from "Until we pool our efforts and create a mass public and political movement, we shall not be able to do anything," he told ITAR-Tass yesterday. Speakers included communist leaders Gennady Zyuganov and Viktor Anpilov and former Soviet parliament speaker Anatoly Lukyanov. Sazhi Umalatava, a former Soviet deputy, called for the restoration of the Soviet Union. "We are here to express our indignation and pain over the release of the decree that led to bloodshed," said Tamara Sopezhnikova. How to interview with the Fortune 500 without even getting out of bed. OK, graduate-to-be. You can get up early or you can get Career/NET It's simple: You give us your resume in a personal profile on the disk we provide. And we guarantee to deliver it to 10,000 employers (including the Fortune 500) in exactly the form they're looking for. Your Career/NE enrollment kit—a preprogrammed disk and a booklet of step-by-step instructions-is $99.95\* To be in the next nationwide distribution to employers, order today.Call 1-800-682-8539. What's New This Month in THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES? New Electronic Resources It'snowpossible for KU students, faculty and staff to telnet to the Libraries' LAN (Local Area Network)-which provides access to over 25 databases-from your office or home. For more information, inquire at the Anschutz, Spahr, and Watson Reference Desks or call 864-5530. *Plus $4.95 for shipping and handling. Tours of Watson 333 of you took guided tours of Watson last month. For those of you who didn't, check out the audio-cassette self-guided tour of Watson at the RESERVE Desk or pick up a copy of Guide for Readers #1: Watson Library Self-Guided Tour at the REFERENCE Desk. New Guides for Readers are available on the following topics: 8. Finding Book Reviews (Watson) 9: Biographical Information Sources (Watson) 22: Finding Legal Information (Law Library and Watson) 25: Anschutz Science Library (Anschutz and Watson) 58: Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Resources (Watson) 62: Company Information (Watson and Howey Reading Room) Free Bookmarks summarizing the KU Libraries' new Borrowers' Code are available at circulation desks in Watson, Anschutz Science, Spahr Engineering Art, Music, Government Documents/Map, and Regents Center Libraries. New on the Staff Penny Donaldson is the Libraries' new Coordinator of Interlibrary Services. Joyce Pearson is the new Electronic Services & Reference Librarian in the Law Library. Linn Frederikson is the new Library Assistant II in the Kansas Collection. New Position The Libraries are excited to be recruiting KU's first librarywide Preservation Librarian. While at the same time acquiring and providing access to materials in a wide variety of electronic and non-traditional formats, the Libraries are increasingly concerned about the naturally inherent deterioration of our traditional paper-based collections. Watch for the announcement of our new Preservation Librarian in a forthcoming "What's New?" column. Currently On Exhibit In Watson: "Rcme and the Germans as Seen in Coinage" (Through September) “Read A Good Movie Lately?" (Opening in October) In The Kansas Collection*: “Preserving Our Heritage" In the Department of Special Collections*: "London: Flower of Cities All" In The University Archives*: "The three faces of Spooner" - Located on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors of Kenneth Spencer Research Library The University of Kansas Libraries Publications Office 350 Watson Library To Comment, Call 864-3378