NATION/WORLD University Daily Kansan / Thursday, October 10, 1991 7 NATION/WORLD BRIEFS Port-au-Prince, Haiti Disregarding a 32-nation trade embargo, Haiti's new leader began to form an interim government yesterday to replace deposed President Jean-Bertrand Aristide and his Cabinet. On his first full day in office, provisional President Joseph Nerette was telephoning political leaders to discuss candidates for prime ministers. Cabinet posts, said one politician who spoke on condition of anonymity. Candidates for prime minister include a prominent human-rights activist, Jean-Jacques Honorat. But he was not interested in the job. "I know what politics is," he said. "I'm not even tempted. I'm not o restore ousted president going to leave human rights for politics." In Washington, the 32-nation Organization of American States intensified international pressure for reinstatement of Aristide, a former member by election president, who was ousted by rebellious soldiers Sept. 30. An OAS foreign ministers meeting Tuesday night called for a Western Hemisphere-wide trade embargo and a freeze on Haitian assets abroad. The diplomats also authorized creation of a civilian mission to help restore democratic government. At least 150 people are thought to have been killed by security forces during and after the coup. Moscow Armenia, Azerbaijan truce collapses amid fighting Human rights activist Yelena Bonner said yesterday that the truce between Armenia and Azerbaijan had collapsed, with 30 people killed and 100 wounded since Russo-Azerbaijani war. Boris Yellin mediated a peace plan. bajian is centuries old. The dispute was rekindled in 1988 when the Armenian majority in Nagorno-Karabakh said it wanted to unite with Armenia. The fighting has caused 800 deaths since 1988. Yeltsin and Kazakhstan President Nurssultan Nazarabayev mediated the dispute of the predominantly Armenian territory of Kars, a region within Azerbaijan but is claimed by neighboring Armenia. Leaders of the republics announced an agreement Sept. 24 for a cease-fire. The conflict ended in September with both sides and predominantly Muslim Azer- The agreement mediated by Yeltsin and Nazarbayev called for the territory to return to the autonomous status it had before January 1989, when its parliament was suspended. Although both sides officially remain committed to implementing the truce agreement, Bonner said in her letter to Yeltsin and that the cease-fire was violated on the first day, with six people killed. Resignations threaten republics' economic pact Boris Yeltsin's Russian government shook with charges of infighting yesterday after two key ministers resigned and a deputy prime minister backtracked on support for a new economic union. The disarray threatened to paralyze the government at a time when the country desperately needs economic reform and Western aid. The confusion has intensified since Yeltsin went on vacation late last month to the Black Sea. He is expected back in Moscow today. Moscow Yeygeny Saburov, the minister of the economy, and Igor Gavrilov, the minister of ecology, both told government leaders they were resigning. Interfax news agency reported. Saburov cited the Russian government's inability to stabilize the economy as well as "a blunt reluctance" of the government to support the economic agreement initialled on Wednesday at a meeting in Kazakhstan. He said Yeltsin had given him the authority to initial the past last week. The Associated Press Senate gears up for testimony on Thomas harassment allegations The Associated Press WASHINGTON — President Bush yesterday declared he still had total confidence in Supreme Court candidate Clarence Thomas and called his embattled Court nominee to the White House for a picture-taking session in a public display of support. It was the first glimpse of Thomas since a former assistant's allegations of sexual harassment against him were made public last weekend. Thomas smiled for photographers and said he was feeling fine on the day after the Senate delayed his confirmation. There were a few interesting things about the allegations against him. The Senate Judiciary Committee will begin hearings tomorrow and hear testimony from Thomas and Anita Hill, an Oklahoma law professor who made the allegations. It also will hear from at least two other witnesses, said the panel's chairperson, Sen. Joseph B. Biden Jr., D-Del. asked if he would be able to refute the accusations, he responded, "Just testify. Thanks." He said Thomas and Hill would be allowed to produce witnesses to support their accounts of what happened a decade ago when she worked for him at the Education Department and the Employment Opportunity Commission. "The process is simple and straightforward," Biden said. "It is to focus on the issue of whether the allegations that Professor Hill have made are "I support Clarence Thomas and there's no wavering. There 's no condition." President George Bush The hearings could last through the year and make the number of witnesses a complaint. Sen. John Danforth, R-Mo., Thomas' chief Senate supporter, said the conservative 43-year-old appeals judge would "look the American people in the eye" and deny he said or did anything improper to the former aide. Bush said he remained firm in support of Thomas despite the rough going in the Senate. Asked in route to a Republican reception when it would be time to cut his losses, the president said, "There aren't going to be any losses." Bush said after meeting with the nominee at the White House that he had "strong feelings, but they all end up in strong support for Clarence Thomas." Senate Democratic Leader George Mitchell, meanwhile, defended the Senate's handling of Hill's allegations that Thomas repeatedly made sexually explicit remarks to her when they visited a Republican campaign base ago in the Reagan administration. "I support Clarence Thomas and there so naw-waving. There's no condition," he said. "And that's where it is. And that's the wav' it's going to stay." Mitchell rejected criticism by women's groups and others that the Senate had dragged its feet investigating the charges. He said the Senate's hands were tied because Hill had initially insisted on keeping her allegations confidential. "Any complaints about unwillingness to proceed I think ignore the fact that the actions taken were in accord with Professor Hill's request," Mitchell said. All the Democrats on the panel, but not every Republican member, were briefed about the allegations before the committee voted 7-7 and sent the nomination to the Senate floor without a recommendation. Before the allegations became public, Hill had insisted that only members of the Senate Judiciary Committee be told about her allegations" and not be made available to anyone beyond that," said Mitchell, D-Maine. Sten. Srom Thurmurd of South Carolina, the panel's ranking GOP member, was responsible for informing the six Republican. "The reality is we did confront a very serious situation, there were conflicting interests and ultimately I believe the manner in which we agreed to proceed was appropriate and fair," Mitchell said. Hill, who has said she will come to Washington to testify, told police in Norman, Okla., on Monday that she had received at least three harassing telephone calls after her allegations about Thomas were made public. Group travels to Iraq to seize atomic materials The Associated Press Nuclear experts are confident they will discover evidence UNITED NATIONS — Nuclear experts headed for Iraq yesterday to try to seize evidence of its H-bomb project as spy satellites and planes monitored Baghdad's secret weapons laboratory, officials said. Iraq has already manufactured some lithium-6, a material used only in hydrogen weapons. The U.N. inspectors hope to capture the supply at the Al-Aihir weapons facility, officials said on condition of anonymity. Iraq was obstructed to disclose the extent of its program under the Security Council's April 3 cease-fire resolution, but has acknowledged little and has not commented on Tuesday's disclosures by the agency of its lithium supply. The Al-Athir site is being monitored by spy satellites, U-2 flights and other means until the nuclear experts arrive, said the U.N. and International Atomic Energy Agency officials. The surveillance is intended to catch any Iraqi attempt to move the lithium-6 out of Al-Athir or bury it at the site. David Kay, one of the agency's chief inspectors, said yesterday that "the purpose of our on-the-ground inspection, as well as the continuing efforts, is to put out of that game of producing nuclear weapons materials." Kay said the H-bomb project could still be in operation. nents, Kay said. "I'm contident that we will not stop until we have." When asked if the agency would get tangible evidence, such as lithium-6 or other thermonuclear weapons compo- But Michael Brower, a physicist and research director of the Union of Concerned Scientists cautioned that the Iraqis would also need a plutonium bomb to trigger the hydrogen bomb, as well as small quantities of the hydrogen isotopes tritium and deuterium to beginning splitting the lithium, which would then continue the nuclear reaction. H-bomb. Earlier, U.N. officials reported that Iraq had been as little as 15 months away from coming up with a working item bomb. Brower said that would indicate that Iraq would have been at east that far away from developing Kay said translators and atomic experts were working to translate the documents that the team seized at an atomic records repository in Baghdad and at the Iraqi Atomic Energy Commission. The five permanent Security Council members — the United States, Britain, France, China and the Soviet Union — have circulated a draft resolution that would order Iraq to fully withdraw from Iraq and U.N. Special Commission, and clamp even more stringent controls on its industries. The resolution could be taken up by the council as early as tomorrow, diplomats said. See related story, p.12 MONOPOLIZE YOUR FUN WITH Trip includes roundtrip airfare on Southwest Airlines and two nights lodging at the Lenox House, which is located in the heart of Chicago, two blocks from Rush street. Sign up at the SUAoffice, level 4 of the Kansas Union by October 15, 1991. ATTENTION FRESHMEN V O T E TODAY and TOMORROW For YOUR CLASS OFFICERS Thursday, October 10-Friday, October 11 9 am-4 pm In front of Strong Hall BOARD OF CLASS OFFICERS October is KU Month at Lawrence Riverfront Plaza Factory Outlets Throughout the month of October, take an additional 10% off your purchases at all participating stores. Just present a valid KU ID. Since you'll always find savings to 60% at our outlets, this is a great opportunity to really save big! opportunity to really save big! Bugle Boy • Ballard's Sporting Goods • Jones New York • Capezio • American Tourister Book Warehouse • Enro - Damon • Banister Shoe • Welcome West • Westport • Sewanea THE HOUSEwares Store • Fieldcrest Museum • Welcome Home • Ribbon Outlet • Leather Loft Paper Factory • Brass Factory • Wallet Works • Markus Connection • Omeida Leens, Hanes, Haines • Maidenform • Mark's Pearl Jewelers • Ye Old糖妆Shoppe BandJams • River City Golf • River City Market LAWRENCE RIVERFRONT PLAZA FACTORY OUTLETS dougittm Lawrence * 842-5511 Download Linkage ... 86253111 Mon.-Wed. 10.a.m.-5.p.m; Thurs. 10.a.m.-9.p.m; Sun 12.p.m.-5.p.m Discounts may not be combined with any other special offers. DOMINO'S PIZZA NOBODY KNOWS LIKE DOMINO'S. What KU Students Want Backbypopulardemand! FIVE DOLLAR FRENZY Get a large pizza with one topping for Free delivery N.of 15th St. S. of 15th St. 841-8002 841-7900 832 Iowa 1445 W, 23rd $500 FIVE DOLLAR FRENZY $500 Get a large pizza with one topping for $5.00. Additional toppings 95c each. No coupon required Additional toppings 95¢ each. Limited time offer Hours: Open for lunch! Sun-Thurs:11am-1am Fri-Sat:11am-2am $699 Incredible Special Get a medium pizza with up to 5 toppings for just $6.99 NOBODY KNOWS LIKE DOMINO'S POPCUNO'S DIMONIO'S DOMINO'S How You Like Plants & Home No Coupon required Limited time offer How You Like Pizza At Home.