NATION/WORLD University Daily Kansan/Monday, October 7, 1991 7 NATION/WORLD BRIEFSL Washington McCarthy declares his fifth bid for White House Former Sen. Eugene McCarthy opened his fifth campaign for the presidency on Saturday. duty on Saturday day: "It will be a personal confrontation with the Bush administration, his concept of the presidency and his presidential record," McCarthy, 75, said in his announcement statement. The former Minnesota senator, who ran for president in 1968, 1972, 1976 and 1988 as both a Democrat and third-party candidate, opened a campaign office Saturday. McCarthy chastised Bush for his stands on abortion and civil rights, for his 1988 campaign ad featuring Black convicted criminal Willie Horton, and for U.S. military involvement in the Persian Gulf War "without proper consultation with Congress." McCarthy's first campaign appearance will be at Harvard University on Oct. 14, said campaign manager Mike Barr. Georgian parliament meets, tries to halt violence Georgia's parliament met in emergency session yesterday and appealed to the southern republic's citizens to refrain from violence in their political dispute. President Zvidi Gamsakhurdia called the parliament into session after at least one person was killed and more than 80 were injured in clashes in Bihilis, capital of the republic of 5.4 million people. Moscow Toulsi, capital of the region, was some opposition leaders and legislators boycotted the session, notably People's Front leader Notar Natadze, the Georgian news agency Iprinda said. "We must not participate in this comedy," said another opposition member, Tamaz Kozavadze. Tamar Kezavadis During a long and stormy debate that began Saturday night and lasted until yesterday morning, opposition lawmakers demanded that Gamsakhurdia resign and that the republic restore freedom of the press, according to the Russian Information Agency and other reports from Tbilisi. Port-au-Prince, Haiti Economist says rise in civilian power caused coup Standing between Jean-Bertrand Aristide and his return to the presidency is an anrite military that sees in him the specter of the neglect and subtraction it suffered under the Duvailier regime. subposition it suffered a cut in the knee. In part, analysts said, the military coup that ousted Aristide a week ago arose from his efforts to put the army in its constitutional place and readjust a defense-tilted budget. just a defense of this bogus "The cause of the coup is the success of Aristide in introducing change and increasing civilian authority over the army," said Haitian economist Paul L'Orteau at the University of Puerto Rico in San Juan. Paul A. Torrence at the University of Texas at Austin. He said that Aristide's national budget, which was supposed to go into effect this week, reduced the military's share of government spending to third place behind education and health. Precise figures for the new budget were not available. Previously, the military had the largest slice of the pie, receiving more than $40 million, or about one-third of all government spending. There was concern that Aristide might start reducing the 7,000-member force. From The Associated Press Croats and Serbs continue fighting The Associated Press European Community threatens trade sanctions if sides don't agree, adhere to cease-fire ZAGREB, Yugoslavia — Embattled Croatia moved to a "war footing" yesterday, handing out guns and uniforms to new volunteers, while federal warplanes struck positions near the republic's capital. The European Community threatened trade and economic sanctions against Yugoslavia's warring sides unless the fighting stops by midnight today. But Croatian forces and the federal army and Serbian guerrillas will battle throughout the republic. The army, facing desertions, morale problems, armor captured by the Croatians and the approach of winter weather, appeared to be trying to strike a decisive blow to bring Croatia quickly to its knees. "It's a great offensive," said Croatian Information Minister Branko Salaj. "They are throwing everything they have at us." Croatian officials, apparently following President Franjo Tudjman's call to arms late Saturday, said they had begun mobilizing volunteers in areas where there were enough weapons. we are making all military preparations that we can, putting Croatia on a warfooting, "Salajsaid. 'We can't go back anymore.'" In all, at least 600 people have died since Croatia declared its independence June 25. Some estimates put the toll at 2,500. The fighting between Croatians and Serbians has been caused by the refusal of many of the 600,000 ethnic Serbians in Croatia to live in an independent Croatian state. Croatians blame the war on Serbian expansionism and say Serbians have nothing to fear from an independent Croatia. in zagreb, air raid sirens wailed three times, and frightened residents rushed to bomb shelters to the sounds of distant explosions. Federal warplanes, firing missiles, attacked a small airport six miles southwest of Zagreb, hitting the command post of a former air force training center that had been taken over by Croatians. Officials said one person was killed and three injured, and several nearby houses were damaged. Croatian forces attacked a federal army base at Samobor, 12 miles west of Zagreb, seeking weapons stored there. Federal troops responded with artillery and mortar fire, and residents of the town were evacuated. Asked if Croatian forces would try to capture two large army barracks in Zagreb, Salaj said, "It's entirely possible. It's war." Fighting also was reported south of Zagreb, in the eastern Croatian region of Slavonia near the border with Serbia, as well as near the medieval walled city of Dubrovnik on the Adriatic. Federal forces closing in on Dubrovnik reached the edge of Clipi airport, about 12 miles from the old city center, a world-famous tourist attraction. A TV report later said the airport had been captured. A federal naval commander was killed Saturday when Croatian forces fired at a federal helicopter near the airport. Tudjman said the federal army and "Serbian imperialists" had gone into a full-scale attack, violating international agreements to cease hostilities. "This requires us to mobilize all our forces for the defensive war." Tudj- He appealed to all Croatians owning weapons to report to defense forces. Tudjiman's address came after he and Federal Defense Minister Gen. Veliko Kadijevic failed to agree on how to implement the latest cease-fire agreement, reached Friday under EC pressure. Kadijevice insists the Croatians first lift their blockade of federal garrisons, but Tudjman wants the ceasefire to take effect before his troops pull The two leaders agreed to discuss implementation of the truce today in Sarajevo. Hostage Terry Anderson appears calm hopeful on videotape obtained by CNN The Associated Press DAMASCUS, Syria — American hostage Terry Anderson, appearing healthier than in the past, said in a videotape obtained by Cable News Network yesterday that his captors told him they would soon have very good news for the Western hostages. The tape was accompanied by a statement in Arabic signed by Islamic Jihad that said the tape was a continuation of the process that started with the release of Briton John McCarthy in August. negotiations aimed at an overall swap to free the Western hostages Arab hostages. In the 12-minute tape, Anderson, 43, who has been a captive for $6^{1/2}$ years, described his joy upon hearing a radio broadcast of the daughter he has never seen, and he spoke of how he and fellow captives passed the time with chess, talk and magazines. Anderson, thechief Middle East correspondent for The Associated Press, called on all parties to accelerate the CNN said it obtained the tape, made early yesterday in Beirut, from a Langeen production company. The network did not pay to obtain the video tape, said E Turner, executive vice president of CNN in Atlanta. Terry Anderson The network said that it did not conduct the interview itself but that it was allowed to submit questions to those who made the tape. Details of the tape were provided by CNN producer Gayle Young, and portions also were viewed by The Associated Press. Anderson appeared calm, relaxed and alert, and he laughed three times during the interview. Anderson said he and two other hostages — American Thomas Sutherland and Briton Terry Waite — were "highly encouraged by news events. He said diplomatic efforts of U.N. SecretaryGeneral Javier Perez de Cuellar to release the hostages were not successful and that he was grateful for them. The Islamic Jihad statement said the tape was a way of "showing our hostages stating their opinions, which serves practical steps to bring an end to the hostage case." Anderson said his captors told him they would have "very good news" for the Western hostages as well as the Lebanese hostages held by Israel and its proxy militia in southern Lebanon. He said they were not told what the good news was or who would be released and when. But Anderson said "everyone on all sides simply must cooperate." "This is no longer the time for bargaining," he said. "This is no longer the time to get some small advantage out of each step." The producer said those who provided the tape contacted CNN in advance and asked for questions to ask Anderson. CNN provided questions, but not all of them were asked and some of them were changed, she said. "By the content of the message, it was obvious that he was saying what his captors wanted him to say." Young Crawford did not appear to be taking under stress." Three videotapes of Anderson have been released previously by the kidnappers. He was abducted March 16, 1985. He said he heard his daughter Sulome, born three months after his abduction, on the British Broadcasting Corp. and "was delighted." 2nd Annual SUA Parents Day Comedy Show With... JMCARREY Star of: IN LIVING COLOR THE TELEVISION SERIES Saturday, October 19 8:00 pm Anschutz Sports Pavilion Students-$10 Non Students-$15 Tickets on Sale Tuesday at the SUA Box Office Level 4, Kansas Union