VOL.101.NO.27 THE UNIVERSITY DAIL KANSAN KANSAS STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY TOPEKA KS 66612 THE STUDENT NEWSPAPER OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS TUESDAY,OCTOBER1,1991 ADVERTISJNG:864-4358 (USPS 650-640) NEWS:864-4810 Rebels arrest Haitian leader Sources say at least 26 dead, 200 wounded in latest uprising The Associated Press PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — President Jean-Bertrand Aristide was arrested yesterday afternoon by rebel General Ferdinand Palace, the foreign minister said. "The president and his staff have been arrested and taken to the army headquarters," said the foreign minister, Jean-Robert Sabalat. He told The Associated Press that the government is allowing to save the president's life. The arrest of Aristide, who became Haiti's first freely-elected president in February, capped a harrowing uprising that claimed at least 26 lives and began with mutinies Sunday night at a police station in the capital area. Sabalat said a loyal captain was killed when the rebels, who claimed Aristide had interfered in internal army affairs, battled their way into the National Palace about 4:30 p.m. CDT. The uprising occurred only four days after Aristide addressed the United Nations on his first trip to the United States since becoming president of the Caribbean nation. Earlier in the day, the rebel soldiers had opened fire on Aristide's home, and several hours later attacked a military convoy that was taking him and the French ambassador to the Nation. He was ambassador, ambassador, Jean-Rafael Dufour, was injured in either episode, according to government sources. By nightfall yesterday, a presidential adviser, overheard on a radio frequency used by the military, government and embassies, spoke of loyalist soldiers deserting and hostile units onto the grounds of the National Palace. Only one of Haiti's about 15 radio stations, Roman Catholic-run Radio Soleil, continued to broadcast news. Some shut down after being strafed by gunfire, and others switched to music-only formats. Aristide, a 38-year-old Catholic priest in power since February, had been at home with aides and a bodyguard when the first attack, the government said. Independent Radio Cacique said an armored personnel carrier was attacked when it went to Aristide's home to take him to the National Palace from his residence in La Cote, six miles from Port-au-Prince. Shortly before midnight Sunday, the head of Radio Nationalale, Michel Favard, went on the air to say a government source told him a coup was believed to be under way. Favard is a longtime Aristide aide. Minutes later, six soldiers burst into the station, handcuffed Favard and took him away, sources at the radio station said. An unidentified soldier, speaking on Radio Soilel, said the rebels had issued seven demands, including that the government disband 50 civilians reputedly being trained by the Swiss as an elite command unit. Some in the army fear the unit is being trained as an elite militia under Aristide's direct command. In Washington, State Department representative Margaret Tutwier called on all elements of the Haitian military to respect the constitutional order they only the legitimate orders of their civilian and military superiors. Callers to radio stations said dead bodies lay in the streets of the city and slum areas ringing Port-au-Prince, the capital city of 1 million. One woman said she had seen seven bodies on the Palmas Road, a major thoroughfare. Private station Radio Cacique reported 26 dead and 280 wound, cliffside. Prime Minister Rene Preval blamed the unrest on remnants of the Tonton Macoutes, the outlawed milia that brutally enforced the rule of late Francis "Papa Doc" Duvallier and son, Jean-Claud "Baby Doc." The Duvaiul dictatorship ended Feb. 7, 1886, when the younger Duvaiul fled into exile in France after a popular uprising. What followed were five years of coups and violence and a rise in nationalism. In Aristide's inauguration on Feb. 7, Aristide had survived three previous assassination attempts, including a 1988 attack by army-supported thugs at his church in which 12 people died. It was the first major disturbance of his presidency, however. Soldiers mutiny in Haiti Soldiers attacked President Jean-Bertrand Aristide's home yesterday, killing more than 15 people and wounding more than 100 Haiti at-a-glance Haiti at a glance Area: 10,700 sq. mi. (about the size of Maryland) Population: 6.2 million (1989) 95% black, 5% mulatto, white Economy: Mainly agriculture History: 1492: Columbus lands on island of Hispaniola 1804: Gains independence from France 1915-1934: Occupied by U.S. 1946: Army seizes control 1975: Francis "Papa Doc" Duvalier elected president, later declares himself president for life 1971: Duvalier dies; 19-year-old son, Jean-Claude "Baby Doc" takes over 1986: Duvalier overthrown by former Lt. Gen. Henn Namphy, goes into exile in France 1987: Voters adopt new, democratic constitution; violence breaks out between army and civilians Jan. 1988: Parliament, civilian president elected Jan. 1988: Parliament, civilian president elected June 1988: Army overthrows elected government; Namphy seizes power Sept. 1988: Namphy overthrown by Lt. Gen. Proper Avril March 1990: Avril resigns, flees after anti-government protests Dec. 1990: Rev. Jean-Bertrand Aristide wins free election Monday: Rebels stage third mutiny since Aristide's election SOURCE: World Book, Rand Mnally World Fact and Maps, AP Committee appointed to hire vice chancellor Administration hopes to fill position by July Knight-Ridder Tribune News By William Ramssey Kansan staff wrt Ramaley left the University of Kansas in August 1990 to become president of Portland (Ore.) State University. A search committee for a new executive vice chancellor was named yesterday, more than a year after Judith Ramaley left the position. KU's four-step selection process The executive vice chairman manages administration and governance on KU's Lawrence campus. Del Shankel, professor of microbiology and biochemistry, has held the position of Chief Scientist of the chancellor since Ramayel lay. Fast search committees, including the 1987 search to replace executive vice chancellor Robert Cobb, have taken "We are not scrambling for someone to fill the position," Scally said. Shankel served as the first executive vice chancellor for the Lawrence campus from 1974 to 1980 and as interim executive vice chancellor in 1987 before Ramaley was appointed. Jim Scaly, assistant to the chancellor, said the administration would be pleased if a new vice chancellor began work by July 1992. Step 1. forming a search committee, was completed yesterday. The search committee will select its own chairperson and take steps similar to the selection and appointment of deans. It will decide early, with the advice of the administration, whether it is appropriate to search for candidates outside the University, as well as from University staff members. If the committee decides to seek prospects from other universities, the most promising will be invited for a campus visit to confer with faculty, staff members and students. Candidates from within the University will be given comparable opportunities for The committee will recommend at least three candi in the menu. The chancellor appoints the new executive vien- chair. No public announcement will be made until the chancellor has reported the decision to the Board of Regents. Public announcement of the appointment will be made by University Relations. Course Handbook for Faculty and Other Unclassified Staff at least a year to fill vacant positions. The committee will conduct nationwide search and then recommend candidates to Chancellor Gene Budig, who will make the final decision. Scally said the students, Angela Cervantes, Topeka junior, and Christina Sharp, Lawrence graduate student in philosophy, were chosen through recommendations from members of the University community. Two students are included on the 10-person committee, Scaly said. Students typically are selected by a selection committee, he said. Other members of the committee are: Robert B. Sanders, associate vice chancellor for research, graduate studies and public service; Frances Ingemann, professor of linguistics; Caroline Brune, budget analyst; James Musksy, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; Jack E. Gaumnitz, professor of business; Valentino Stella, University distinguished professor of pharmaceutical chemistry; James Long, director of the Kansas and Burge unions; and Sidney Roedel, administrative assistant in the department of human development and family life. Lucky dog Lawrence firefighter Clinton Lynn gives oxygen to a dog that was found in an apartment at 1128 Ohio St. The apartment was reported on fire about 6:30 p.m. yesterday. Officials were unsure of the fire's cause and said the basement apartment sustained fire damage and the upper floors had smoke damage. The dog was doing well last night. Foreign students seeking jobs await immigration law By Svala Jonsdottir Special to the Kansan But Sharma, along with the majority of the 1,925 international students at the University of Kansas, will have to wait until a new national immigration act, which was scheduled to become effective today, is published. Manu Sharma thought he could start working at his new off-campus job today. The International Student Services office said it would continue to adhere to the rules of current immigration procedures. In the case law were available in published form. The Immigration and Naturalization Service has not announced the exact date when the law will be printed. Sharma, New Delhi, India, junior said he applied for more than 20 different part-time jobs earlier this fall. He recently was offered a food service position at Furr's Cafeterias, 2300 Sharma said he had worked in food services on campus before, but was more interested in working outside the University because of higher wages and better schedules. He said he would continue to wait for the new law to become effective, and he hoped the job would be still be open. The most important change for international students under the new law is that students on the most common student visa, an F-1, will be able to work off campus without demonstrating financial need. Iowa St., but because of the delay in the immigration act's implementation, he could not start today as he had planned. "The job market is really bad right now, so if you get something you just want to hold on to it." he said. "I had job in my hand, but now I have to wait." Before, they had to document that their financial situation had changed substantially since they entered the "I had this job in my hand,but now I have to wait." Manu Sharma New Delhi, India, junior country and that they needed a job to raise additional funds. However, the restrictions that were introduced in the present version of the new law limit the kind of employment the students can get. To hire a foreign student under the new law, an employer must have advertised the position for 60 days. Gerald Harris, director of the KU Office of International Student Services, said this rule means the students mostly would be hired for non-competitive jobs. Under the current law, international students are allowed to work at off-campus jobs directly related to their major without demonstrating financial The new law would limit "practical training" only to work for which students received academic credit. Harris said that the new law only reflected the needs of certain national chains, such as McDonald's and Burger King. "It doesn't really help other employers, and it doesn't help the students," he said. Fernando Aracena, La Paz, Bolivia, senior, said the new law was no cause for celebration for international students. International students should not be receive as cheap labor, Acraena said. Aracena is the secretary general of the International Council at KU, which represents the interests of international students to the administration "This change is not going to be for the better." he said. "If foreign students "The best help that they can give American companies is in management, not flipping hamburgers," he said. Aracena said there were undoubtedly some students who welcomed the opportunity to work in a restaurant off campus. "We have many foreign students working for us already, and we are very happy to have them," Campbell said. She said McDonald's welcomed the opportunity to hire more international students and was hiring at both of its Lawrence restaurants. Liz Campbell, store manager for McDonald's at 1309 W. 6th St., said the new law was good news for the restaurant. U.S.S.R. reacts to arms cuts The Associated Press But President Mikhail Gorbachev said he was in no hurry to give specific answers to Bush's sweeping suggestions. MOSCOW — The Soviet Foreign Ministry announced yesterday it was sending a top diplomat to Washington to open negotiations on President Bush's arms control proposals and unilateral cuts had not been ruled out. "The Soviet Union should not respond urgently to the U.S. initiative," he said, according to Tass, the state news agency. "Haste on such questions by the U.S.S.R. and its president would be an insufficiently thought-out step on such an important, major initiative." In their most detailed response to date since Bush's proposals, senior officials told a Moscow news conference that Deputy Foreign Minister Sergio Frasier would go to Washington in the first 10 days of October to open talks. Obukhov will "consider in detail the entire complex of questions arising from the new proposals of the American administration and also put forwards some of our ideas in return," said President Reign Minister Vladimir Petrosky. The Soviet Union would like to expand the proposals to include strict limits on nuclear energy and eventuality of inter-state countries into the talks, Petrovsky said. "We have accepted these proposals, and we stand for the immediate start of dialogue on all these subjects," he said. On Saturday, Gorbachew welcomed the proposals in general, saying, "Our assessment of these proposals is positive, is very positive." But he added, "This matter is very complex and we still have many questions," he said. "I'm very pleased with the reaction from all around the world," he said. "I was very pleased with the Soviet reactivity, I expect that they will cooperate well." Bush, speaking yesterday in Florida, expressed satisfaction with the Soviet response. Bush announced Friday that the United States would eliminate all its ground-launched, short-range nuclear weapons; withdraw all tactical arms from Syria; and strategic bombers off alert; and cancel the development of the MX missile. Although those U.S. steps are unilateral, Bush called on the "togs to go down this road with us" and "to match our actions" with cuts of their own. Petrovsky, speaking in English, said, "We do not exclude unilateral steps" by the Soviet side. "But you know certain unilateral steps need also some kind of qualifications and consultations. "Today we have the real chance of a breakthrough to a nuclear-free world, and we simply must not miss this chance."