NATION/WORLD University Daily Kansan / Monday, September 30, 1991 7 NATION/WORLD BRIEFS Olongapo, Philippines Protesters call for a vote on the future of U.S. bases About 3,000 residents of this city outside the Subic Bay naval base demonstrated yesterday, denounce a U.S. drone attack to close the U.S.-run installation. The crowd gathered in the rain outside the main gate of the base to support a referendum on the base's future. On Sept. 16, the Senate voted 12-11 to reject a new agreement under which the United States would give up its other large installation in the country and instead continue operating Subic for 10 more years in return for $203 million This city of 300,000 people depends almost entirely on the base for its economic livelihood. president Corazon Aquino announced plans for a national referendum immediately after the Senate vote. Johannesburg, South Africa Thursday, several politicians and business leaders began a drive to get the 3.5 million signatures necessary to force a referendum. They said an overwhelming vote in favor of the bases would force the Senate to reconsider its decision. Factional fighting at platinum mine kills 11, hurts 26 Eleven Blacks were killed and 26 injured in clashes between rival groups at a platinum mine in the Bophuthatswana, mine officials said yesterday. The fighting at the Impala Platinum Mine, northwest of Johannesburg, marked one of the worst outbreaks of violence since the government and leading Black groups signed a peace accord Sept. 14. The atmosphere at the mine has been tense since workers went on strike in July. But the strike was settled Wednesday when workers accepted a 16-percent pay raise. A representative of the General Mining Corp., which owns the mine, said the fighting erupted Saturday evening between different ethnic groups at a workers hostel in the mine compound. The official said that the fighting was not linked to the wage dispute, and he described the situation yesterday morning as quiet but tense. Factional fighting has claimed more than 6,000 lives in the past five years and is slowing attempts by President F.W. de Klerk to negotiate a new constitution that will end apartheid. Jerusalem Shamir says compromise possible in peace talks Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir yesterday said he did not rule out compromise in proposed Arab-Israeli peace talks, but he said Israel would not stop building settlements in the occupied territories. Shamir's comments came a day after the exiled Palestinian parliament said it would support the U.S. request, expected to take place next month. But the Palestine National Council also called for a halt to settlement building and said the PLO had agreed with the government to peace talks. The talks are aimed in part at securing a Palestinian homeland. In an interview with Israeli army radio, Shamir said freezing settlements before negotiations would be a precondition. Shamir also said that if the Arabs expected negotiations to be "a kind of court attended . . . to get what they deserve according to one or another United Nations decision, they are completely mistaken." Shamir did not rule out compromise. —The Associated Press "It depends what we are talking about," he said. Officials say nuclear stand-down won't create short-term savings The Associated Press WASHINGTON — Administration officials said yesterday there would be no short-run savings in defense costs and the agency's dramatic nuclear weapons axing. "Over the next few months, or in fiscal year 92, there are added costs with terminating contracts, moving systems around, destroying warheads, etc., that had not previously been expected," Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney said on ABC's "This Week With David Brinkley." Cheney said the nation's military must be ready to fight a regional conflict anywhere in the world and that the Strategic Defense Initiative was needed in a world of nuclear proliferation. He defended the B-2 bomber program as necessary to the country's defense and said the armed forces already were in the midst of a massive reduction that would cut their manpower by 25 percent. forms "the basic underlying assumptions by which we size our forces today." Cheney said. The need to prevail in a regional conflict such as Operation Desert Storm National Security Adviser Brent Scrowcair said that "five years out, I think there will be a peace dividend" and that it would hopefully be sizable. "I honestly don't know how much," said Scowcroft, speaking on NBC's "Meet the Press." Defense spending is heading down to 3.6 percent of gross national product, the lowest level since 1989, said Undersecretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz. "The United States can afford the programs it needs and still afford an adequate defense," Wolfowitz said on CNN's "Newsmaker Sunday." The administration got an expression of support from one congressional Democrat, Sen. Sam Nunn of Georgia, to Senate General Services Committee. "I do think those who believe we're going to be able to declare a peace dividend and have a huge amount of money for domestic purposes are not looking at the fiscal picture of the country," Nunn said. "Most of the defense savings are going to have to go to try to meet the deficit, which is growing," added Nunn, speaking on CBS's "Face the World." Nunn also said he doubted the need for 75 B-2 bombers that each cost $850 million. "The strategic role has been diminished somewhat by the president's speech, if we carry through on this action, and I think we have to reexamine the number of B-2s," said Nunn. "I don't think we can afford 75." But Nunn added that the B-2's conventional role was "if anything, growing more important" because Air Force bases were closing, the plane carried a tremendous payload and it stood tall over the world with one refueling. Nunn said the Air Force should take another look and that his guess was that the need would be for "somewhere in the range of half" the currently designated complement of 75 planes. Bush administration officials also defended the Soviet response to Bush's initiative. Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev welcomed the disarmament proposals but offered no immediate reciprocal cuts. "It's just as if somebody had hit us with this cold within 24 hours, we would not prepare a substantive response and say, 'Okay, we'll take down the following systems,' Cheney said. "It'll take some time for them to work. But I think they will." Cheney also said that he didn't see any call to reduce U.S. strategic nuclear capability below the 50 percent level envisioned in START. "As of this moment, we have now stood down almost half of our ballistic missile force, 450 out of the 1,000 ballistic missiles we had deployed ... are now deactivated," Cheney said. He said they were on standby status. Cheney said the accord should be implemented aggressively "before we start talking about reducing it even further." Saudi leaders insist on U.N. mandate for U.S. action Scowcroft said the treaty would be sent to the Senate in October. Troops, Patriots to defend against scuds The Associated Press MANAMA, Bahrain — Recent tension about U.N. weapons searches in Iraq and the threat of allied military force have prompted Saudi leaders to insist on a U.N. mandate for any new action against Saddam Hussein, diplomatic sources said. Kuwait in February. During last week's controversy surrounding U.N. weapons inspections and helicopter overfires, Washington officials said that no new U.N. resolution was needed to enforce existing cease-fire agreements militarily. But Arab diplomatic sources said Saudi Arabian King Fahd dismissed as unacceptable any such action that did not have world approval similar to that given Operation Desert Storm, which evicted Saddam's forces from The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, explained the apparent change of heart about a fresh U.S. military strike against Iraq in response to its obstruction of U.N. inspection of nuclear and chemical weapons sites. "King Fahd would not allow any fresh military action against Saddam Hussein without a clear resolution from the U.N. Security Council and sufficient Arab and Islamic backward," said one Riyadh-based Arab diplomat. warplanes and helicopter gunships still in the area and contended these would be sufficient for any military strike. I diplomat conceded that President Bush would not have initially ordered the dispatch of warplanes, as well as a consultation with the Saudi monarch. But as the tension mounted, Saudi officials already were pointing to the array of hundreds of U.S. Air Force The New York Times reported late last week that Saudi Defense Minister Prince Sultan asked Washington to order the warplanes on their way to the kingdom to return home. King Fahd This could not be verified immediately. But all sources confirmed that the U.S. planes did not go to Saudi Arabia. Last week Bush ordered the warplanes on standby as he declared at the U.N. General Assembly that "we will not compromise" with Saddam about the Iraqi leader's cheating with U.N. weapons inspectors about his nuclear, chemical and biological programs and his arsenal of Scud missiles. Bush meanwhile ordered the redeployment of two battalions of 1,400 U.troopsto the kingdom to assemble 96 Patriot missiles around significant Saudi cities as a defensive curtain against Saddam's Soviet-built Scuds. The crisis about weapons monitoring ended early Saturday when Iraq released the U.N. inspection team that seized documents said to contain details of a nuclear weapons program. Baghdad also said it would allow the helicopter flights. The Saudis clearly were delighted with the deployment of the Patriots but have said that only privately thus far. Student Rebate Payments Begin Thank you for your continued patronage during our renovation project last spring. Your support exceeded our expectations! To display our appreciation the Union Board of Directors has designated a special 9% rebate for KU Bookstore purchases from the Spring 1991 Semester. Receipts should be designated "Period 89" and be dated between January 1, 1991 and June 30, 1991. Cash or check purchases are eligible for the Student Rebate Program. Your KU student I.D. is required. Receipts may be redeemed during normal business hours at the Customer Service counter of either the Kansas Union or Burge Union stores between September 17th and December 30th, 1991. Some restrictions apply. The KU Bookstores The Kansas and Burge Unions Serving the University Community for 45 years. The store that shares its profits with the KU student BOOKSHOP UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS Gift Certificate Colour Wardrobing $ ^{\mathrm {S M}} $ Our Service. Free. Colour Wardrobing $ ^{\mathrm {SM}}$. Our Service. Free. This certificate entitles you to a free Colour Wardrobing and a free lipstick at our Exclusively Parfums Borghese counter. Let us help you achieve a look that reflects your style. Show us your favorite lipstick; we'll show you how to create your own wardrobe of beautiful colours and how to apply them. Afterwards, you'll receive a free lipstick. Gift Certificate PRINCESS MARCELLA BORGHESE MILAN Exclusively Parfums ELORIDGE HOTEL LAWRENCE KS 310-843-1688 --- Watch KU beat K-State this year! WIN TWO TICKETS TO THE KU/K-STATE FOOTBALL GAME. Answer all 5 Sports Trivia questions (one a day this entire week) at the bottom of the sports page correctly and you and a friend can go to the K-State game on us!. Two pairs of tickets to be given away. See entry blank on the sports page for further details Give away sponsored by the University Daily Kansan.