12 University Daily Kansan / Thursday, September 19, 1991 Gates' ties to Contra scandal questioned The Associated Press WASHINGTON—Barring some explosive new disclosure, Robert Gates appears headed for confirmation as President Bush's new CIA director, despite new evidence that he knew more about the Iran-Contra affair than he has acknowledged. Four years ago, Gates was forced to withdraw as President Reagan's nominee to lead the agency because of uncertainties about his role in the arms-for-hostages scandal. Since then, investigators have found new documents and heard testimony that the 47-year-old analyst, now Bush's deputy national security witness, was aware of the arms sales to Iran, the secret aid for Nicaraguan rebels and the possibility of a money link between the two. Former CIA colleagues will be closely questioned today, when hearings resume, about their discussions with Gates about those subjects. During two days of confirmation hearings before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Gates has responded to questions about his role in one of two ways; either he regrets not doing more to get to the bottom of the affair, or he says he does not remember. it not seems not to matter much to most of the 15 committee members. Only two, Sens. Howard Metzenbaum, D-Ohio, and Bill Bradley, D-N.J., have challenged Gates in their questioning. The rest seem prepared to let bygones be bygones. "Overall, Mr. Gates has made a very positive impression on the committee," said committee chairperson David Boren, D-Okla. He said committee members would have to ask themselves whether Gates' failure to recall numerous conversations related to Iran-Contra was believable. Boren seemed to excuse the lapses. "There are times that all of us who are busy can't remember certain things," he said. While saying he had made no final judgment about Gates' fitness to direct the agency, Boren complimented the engineer and cited his willingness to admit to past mistakes. Praise from others on the panel was equally effusive. "What has happened has happened," Dennis DeConciell, D-Ariz., told Gates. "You admitted you made mistakes, and I admire that... I’m impressed with your candor." Sen. John Chafee, R-R.I., said to Gates, "I'm confident you'll be confirmed." Metzenbaum said Tuesday that the hearings had turned totally political. *None of the Republicans seem to be interested in hearing the questions or the answers.* But few Democrats seemed to have much taste for battle, either. House and CIA officials, together with Tom Korologos, a lobbyist hired to help steer the nomination through the Senate. Sitting behind Gates during the first two days of hearings has been a group of White The committee has received new details that support an account by Richard Kerr, the CIA's acting director, that in August 1986 he spoke to Gates about the possibility that money from the Iran arms sales was being diverted to the Contras, a group of Nicaraguan rebels. In sworn testimony to the panel, Kerr said he remembered Gates responding that he had heard rumors about the same thing. Supporting Kerr's account, a second agency official, John Helgerson, has testified that Kerr related his conversation with Gates to him at the time. But Gates maintains that he cannot remember the conversation. Kerr will testify publicly before the panel today. Also to appear today is former agency official Alan Fiers, who has told the panel about a conversation he had with Gates in the summer of 1986 about a plan to have the CIA买 then-privately financed assets of the Contra resupply operation run out of the White House by Oliver North. Gates says he cannot recall the discussion. He also can't remember an Oct. 9 meeting he is said to have attended with Fiers and then CIA director William Casey to discuss Fiers' testimony the next day before the intelligence committee. Robert Gates Age: 47 Education: B.A., College of William and Mary, 1965, M.A. in history, Indiana University, 1966; Ph.D., Russian, Soviet history, 1974, Georgetown University 1966: Joined CIA 1974: Assigned to National Security Council staff 1880: Returned to CIA, served as national officer. Secured U.S. 1982: Appointed deputy director for intelligence 1983: Appointed chairman, National Intelligence Council 1986: Become deputy director of CIA 1987: Nominated for director, withrew name after questions regarding knowledge of Iran-contra scandal 1986: Became deputy director of CIA 1989. Appointed deputy national security adviser. 1997 Nominated for director SOURCE News mentors Knight-Ridder Tribune News Briton may be next Western hostage freed The Associated Press BEIRAT The official Iranian news agency yesterday predicted the imminent release of a Western hostage and named 77-year-old Briton Jack Mann as most likely to be freed. The report by the Islamic Republic News Agency heightened speculation that Mann, who was kidnapped May 12, 1989, would become the fourth Western captive to be set free in six weeks. But several hours after the agency issued its report, there was no word of any release. Israel is seeking an accounting of Israeli soldiers missing in Lebanon. After Israel freed 51 Arab prisoners last week, the pro-Iranian Revolutionary Justice Organization issued a statement saying Mann, the oldest of the 11 missing Westerners, was alive and well. The Iranianan newsagency, in report datelined Beirut and filed early yesterday afternoon, said, "Another Western hostage in Iraq will next few hours, informed sources said here early Wednesday afternoon."