NATION/WORLD University Daily Kansan /Wednesday, September 4, 1991 7 Nation/World Briefs Miami Prosecutors seek to dismiss minor charge against Manuel Noriega Prosecutors seek to dismiss min Prosecutors moved to drop a minor charge against Manuel Noriega yesterday, a day before the scheduled start of jury selection in his drug-trafficking and racketeering trial. The charge to be dropped involved a pilot who flew planes carrying drugs but turned informant. The U.S. government has paid him more than $500,000 for information. The charge is the only one in the February 1988 indictment that mentions Panamanian pilot Tony Aizpuza, whose intercepted 1985 drug-running flight helped launch the Norigea investigation. The count charged that, in violation of federal law, Noriega caused Aizipra to travel from Fort Lauderdale to Panama in 1984 as part of her efforts to斥掖寨假杀害. It provides no other details. Diane Cossin, spokeswoman for the Miami U. State attorney's office, refused to explain prosecution charges against her. Noriage's lead attorney Frank Rubino is not immediately available for comment, his U. S. District Judge William Hoeveler had not signed the dismissal motion yesterday. Approval is usually just a formality. The travel charge was punishable by a maximum five-year sentence, a fraction of the potential 145 years Noriega faces on racketeering and drug-conspiracy charges. Dismissing the charge would still leave 10 counts against the deposed Panamanian leader. Manila, Philippines A separate 1985 Aizprua flight not mentioned in the indictment is usually pointed to as the beginning of the Noriega investigation. Aizprua was spotted flying from from Panama to Broward County, Florida, and was forced down on an empty highway by drug agents. The pilot initially escaped but was later picked up. He then turned informant against Noriega. Imelda Marcos faces charge of defrauding government of S25 million The government filed new fraud charges against Imelda Marcos yesterday, charging that while her husband was president she illegally withdrew $25 million from a government bank branch for personal expenses. The action came a day after Marcos said she was willing to return to the Philippines for trial on earlier fraud charges, but only if she received her marriage certificate and husband would be allowed back in the Philippines. President Corazon Aquino announced in July that the 5-year-old ban on Imelda Marcos entered the country would be lifted so she could return for trial. But she continued to bar the return of the body of former President Ferdinand Marcos. Marcos and his family fled to Hawaii shortly after a popular uprising toppled him from power in 1986. Aquino banned the Marcoses from returning, saying they would rally forces opposed to her government. The ban continued after Marcos died in September 1989. Imelda Marcos has said she was hesitant to return for trial because she feared her husband's body would not be allowed home and would be buried in Hawaii, where his body is a temporary crypt. Marcos said Monday that she would not return with a clear policy decision from Manila on the return of the remains. There was no immediate comment from the Philippine government on Marcos's statement. Solicitor General Francisco Chavez said the new fraud charge involved the removal of $25 million from the New York branch of the state-owned Philippine National Bank between 1977 and 1863. He said the money was useless by Marcos's personal expenses and shopping sprees abroad. He said the money was withdrawn for Marcos by Oscar Carino, who was the branch manager. Carino was granted immunity from prosecution after testifying in a racketeering case against Marcos in New York last year. She was acquitted. Fire kills 25 at N.C. chicken plant; workers trapped by blocked doors The Associated Press HAMLET, N.C. — Fire engulfed a chicken processing plant yesterday, creating an inferno in which panicked workers were trapped by blocked or locked doors, witnesses said. Authorities reported 25 people killed and 40 injured. "They were screaming, 'Let me out!'" said passerby Sam Breeden. "They were beating on the door." Witnesses a fryer at the Imperial Food Products plant caught fire about 8:30 a.m. The company makes chicken nuggets and marinade-chicken stock at fast food restaurants and grocery stores. The 11-year-old plant had never been inspected by state safety officials, said Charles Jeffress, assistant commissioner of the North Carolina labor department. "I'm sure that there are many others that have not been inspected," said defress. He said the state does not have enough inspectors to get to every plant and that the state never received a safety complaint about the Imperial plant. The interior of the building was gutted. Renee Hoffman, a representative for the state Department of Crime Control and Public Safety, said 25 were confirmed dead by late November. Hospitals reported at least 40 injured. A woman who was in the canteen said people rushed in yelling, "Fire! Fire!" The door from the canteen to the outside was locked and a man broke the door open so those inside could escape. Carolyn Rainwater, a plant worker, said she heard people screaming and I saw a big puff of black smoke and I started running for the back door. "The door was blocked by a delivery truck and the workers had to wait for it to be moved, she said. Knight-Ridder Tribune News Fighting in Yugoslavia threatens cease-fire The Associated Press BELGRADE, Yugoslavia — A renewal of fierce fighting involving Yugoslavian soldiers, Croatian forces and Serbian militants threatened yesterday to scuttle a new European Community peace plan in Yugoslavia. The 12-nation EC called an urgent international peace conference on Yugoslavia in The Hague for Saturday. It named Kosovo as the most likely Britain's most widely respected statesmen, as its chief mediator. About 200 cease-fire observers were leaving yesterday for Croatia in the ethnically mixed Slavonia region saw some of the heaviest clashes Tuesday. At least 16 people were killed. The head of Yugoslavia's collective federal presidency, Stipe Miesic, appealed for peace late Tuesday. "The country is facing great trials and very grave challenges," a croatian, said on television The Croatian stronghold of Osijek and surrounding villages He said the presidency was asking the federal army immediately to appoint officers to oversee the cease-fire jointly. Couat officials and representatives of Serbian insurgents. its Defense Ministry to implement a cease-fire, ban the movement of its troops without prior permission and demobilize reserve units. More than 300 people have been killed in Croatia since it declared independence June 25. Many of Croatia's 600,000 Serbs, 12 percent of the republic's population, are unwilling to live in an independent Croatia In Zagreb, the Croatian government said it was instructing Associated Press photographer Frank Panzmer reported that Osijek, 140 miles east of Zagreb, echoed with constant submachine-gun and light-artillery fire Tuesday. Thearmy blocked a road to Vukovar, 18 miles to the southeast, he said. He saw two air force planes dropping bombs on neighboring Bijile village, one of the last Creat strongholds in the Baranja area stretching north of Osijek toward Hungary. In the town of Beli Manastir, Serbs claimed to have taken Bilje and Mee, the last two Croat-tied villages in Baranja "Cease-fire" What cease-fire?" said Dzrakov Mrdza, a Serbian defense force officer in Beli Mnastrir. "Our Baranja is definitely free. Baranja is Yugoslavia," he said, as a big Yugoslavian flap flickered over his head. The first step to professionalism is to become a professional, and the first step to becoming a professional is Alpha Kappa Psi SAT., SEPT. 7 TAE KWON DO 5th Year Anniversary Open House Join the Professional Business Fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi Information Table: Summerfield 9:00-3:00 p.m. Sept. 3rd 4th, & 5th BLACKBELT DEMONSTRATIONS Special 1 Month $5 Introductory Offer Holiday Plaza 25th & Iowa Interested in Flying? Make your reservation now for the KU Flying Club meeting! 7:00 p.m. Wed.Sept.4 Walnut Room, Kansas Union and K. U. Kempo Karate Self-Defense Club TRADITIONAL INSTRUCTION *Kata *Basic Drills US KEMPO FEDERATION contact: Mark Hurt 842-4713 Betsy Boyce 842-0389 IN HAWAIIANKEN *Self-defense *Kumite Room 130 Robinson Gym: MON& WED Beginning:6-7 pm Advanced:7-8:30 pm SUNDAY Kumite:2-4 pm IN HAWAIIAN KEMPO NEED ANOTHER CLASS? CONSIDER INDEPENDENT STUDY If you're searching for another class to round out your fall schedule, consider an Independent Study Course. - Take up to nine months to complete the course - Choose from more than 100 courses - Enroll anytime - Pay fees when you enroll with Independent Study Independent Study by correspondence is a statewide service mandated by the Kansas Board of Regents to serve the needs of Kansans. As a unit of the University of Kansas Division of Continuing Education, Independent Study offers approved College courses similar to those taught in Residence. COURSEOFFERED For enrollment information call 864-7868 or stop by Independent Study Student Services. (north of the Union) --and every night, it's your planet. A one-of-a-kind. Worth taking care of. Come find out about it, and about us. At our TONIGHT 1ST MEETING we'll get ready for the SEAC conference this weekend,and plan for the year ahead.There's a lot to do, and we welcome new faces and fresh ideas. ENVIRONS. Hope to see you there; 6:00 tonight (September 4) in Parlors A & B in the KS Uniom --co-hosted by Southwind+Envizion FOR INFO: attend Enviros tonight, or call regional director (913)736-5528 SEPT. 6-7 KSU