NEWS TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27. 2005 8A THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Closer CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1A Lew Perkins, Athletics Director, previously ensured that the facility would not affect graduation traditions. Perkins said when the facility was built, it would help the other athletic teams at the University as well. "The entire KU Athletics family is indebted to Tom for his generosity." Perkins said. "By consolidating all football activities into one area, the facility will free up space needed for other sports. In addition, this football facility will help KU football be more competitive with other Big 12 programs." "Our coaching staff and players are all committed to making the KU football program a perennial power in the Big 12, and Tom's generosity will help us achieve that goal." Mangino said. The Anderson family of Los Angeles donated $3.15 million, and the Kimbell family of Hutchinson, Kan., donated three million last year to contribute to the facility. Mangino brought up the idea for the new facility after a practice last season. Kivisto, originally from Chicago, graduated from the University in 1974 with a degree in pre-medicine and psychology. He received his masters degree in urban planning from the University. Kivisto is currently president and CEO of SemGroup L.P. of Tulsa, Okla., a midstream energy service company. Last year, his company was ranked 14th in earnings among private companies by Forbes Magazine with $1.4 billion. Kivisto started for three seasons on the Jayhawk basketball team in the early '70s and averaged 8.3 points per game during his career. Kivisto is also a member of the Illinois Basketball Hall of Fame. In recent years, numerous schools in the Big 12 Conference made improvements to their practice facilities, similar to those proposed at Kansas. In the last five years, Oklahoma built a new locker room, training area, and weight room. Texas Tech completed an $84 million improvement to its stadium and practice facilities. "Athletics was a huge part of my life at KU, and I respect and appreciate what Lew Perkins is doing for athletics and for KU," Vikisto said. Missouri will undergo a $16 million improvement of its facilities, which will include a new weight room, dining hall, larger offices and meeting rooms. Edited by Erick R. Schmidt "When there are disasters that take a national scope, the thing that people forget is we have needs in this town," Van Leer said. "You can't forget to donate to them." CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1A The United Way campaign began Sept. 8, with Douglas County United Way hoping to raise more than $1.5 million by Nov. 18. The University has a goal of $230,000 and all money raised will go toward the county's efforts. Funds Jo Bryant, executive director of the Douglas County United Way, said since the campaign just started two weeks ago, it was hard to see what effect Hurricane Katrina relief has had on the campaign now. Anton Bengston, co-coordinator of the Center of Community Outreach, said hurricane relief efforts had affected CCO's efforts toward other programs. Bengston said CCO was getting better at adjusting programs to meet everyone's needs. been a natural tragedy of this magnitude in recent history, so the United Way had no way to gauge the possible impact of donations being diverted for hurricane relief. Bryant said there hadn't He said CCO had had to move collections around and change schedules to meet needs of regular volunteer programs and hurricane volunteer work. "We're still forging on, everything will be fine," Bengston said. Edited by Patrick Ross Jared Soares/KANSAN Strummin'in the sun Robin Bennet, right, and Garo Nahoulakian, left, both from Oxford, England, practice a song yesterday at South Park. The two are both members of the band. Gold Rush and were in Lawrence for a concert at Replay Lounge, Ninth and Massachusetts streets, last night. The two said it was their first time in Lawrence. HURRICANE KATRINA New Orleans partly reopened BY JUIIA SILVERMAN THE ASSOCIATED PRESS NEW ORLEANS — With Hurricane Rita gone, the mayor picked up where he left off with his plan to reopen New Orleans, inviting people in one largely unscathed neighborhood to come back yesterday and "help us rebuild the city." A line extended out of a Winn-Dixie supermarket as locals stocked up on ice, milk and other staples in Algiers, the first New Orleans neighborhood officially opened by Mayor Ray Nagin. At a Texaco station, owner Mohammed Mehmood returned to find damage both from the storm and from looting. His gas pumps were vandalized, his computers did not work, and his ceiling was about to collapse. caped flooding from Hurricane Katrina and Rita. Unlike most of the rest of the city, Algiers has electricity and clean water. "I have immediate problems," he said. "I have no money. They broke and stole everything." A steady line of cars waited 20 to 25 minutes to get through checkpoints all day, police spokesman Capt. Marlon Defillo said. He had no estimate of how many people returned. The neighborhood of 57,000 people lies across the Mississippi River from the main part of New Orleans and largely es- "With Hurricane Rita behind us, the task at hand is to bring New Orleans back," Nagin said. "We want people to return and help us rebuild the city. However, we want everyone to assess the risks and make an informed decision about re-entry plans." In neighboring St. Bernard Parish, so heavily damaged by flooding that many buildings will have to be demolished, officials allowed residents in yesterday to see their sodden homes. The mayor said a curfew would be in place from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. and warned there were limited police and firefighting services and no critical-care hospital services. 1.