Page 10 University Daily Kansan Tuesday, May 22, 1962 University Daily Kansan SPORTS Coleman, Leiker To Tour Kansas Fullback Ken Coleman and halfback Tony Leiker, both coming juniors, will man Kansas' third annual summer University Ambassador tour, Jayhawker Director of Promotions and Public Relations, Monte Johnson, said today. The pair will open June 5 in Kansas City on a statewide tour that will reach 125 KU Quarterback, civic club, and KU Ambassador meetings in 110 towns by late August. They will promote the general welfare of the University as well as outline Jayhawker prospects for the 1962 season on a swing that will cover more than 17,000 miles. Coleman led the 1961 Bluebonnet Bowl kings in rushing last year on 656 net yards. This is the second-highest single-season total in Kansas history by a Jayhawker sophomore, and the third-best on the all-time KU records. The 6-2, 201-pound Wichitan blasted 107 yards and scored two touchdowns in the 33-7 stunning of Rice at Houston to earn designation as the Bluebonnet's "Most Outstanding Back." Leiker, 6-0, 180-pound Hays product, averaged 9.0-yards per carry as a rookie last year to rank fifth in club rushing on 253 yards in just 28 carries. He scored four touchdowns. Patterson Says Detroit Probable Site of Fight WASHINGTON—(UPI)—Heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson says that his fight with Sonny Liston probably will be held in Detroit, but has left the decision up to his manager Cus D'Amato. Patterson, who returned to New York after a brief visit to Washington to autograph copies of his book, "Victory Over Myself," told a news conference here yesterday that "from what I hear there's a very strong possibility" Detroit will be the site. THE CHAMPION said, however, that all he knew was what he had read in the newspapers. There have been reports that Detroit is the top choice for the title bout and that the fight probably will be held in Tiger Stadium on Sept. 17. It was reported that Detroit promoters Leon Saddler and Elisha Gray had deposited a $750,000 certified check to show faith. The Michigan Boxing Commission has indicated it will grant a fighter's License to both Patterson and Liston. Patterson told reporters: "It LOOKS like the fight will be in Detroit. Cus will do the negotiating. I've left the decision up to him." Patterson expressed belief that Washington was no longer in the running for the fight. But he said that, too, would depend on the decision of his manager. A shadow of doubt was cast over the Detroit deal last night, however, when D'Amato failed to appear at a boxing show staged by Saddler and Gray in the Motor City. The promoters had reported earlier that both the fighter and his manager would be there. NEW YORK — (UPI) — National Football League club owners gather today to take up some business matters and to celebrate their legal victory which leaves the young American League to thrive or fail strictly on its own competitive merits. Lamar Hunt of Dallas, founder of the A.F.L., is considering an appeal from yesterday's decision by Baltimore Judge Roszel Thomsen. That decision rejected the A.F.L.'s anti-monopoly suit asking for $10-million in damages from the N.F.L. NFL Owners Celebrate Legal Win Over AFL Judge Roszel's decision conceivably might have ordered the N.F.L. to abandon Dallas to the A.F.L. exclusively, as well as pay damages. Such a decision might have beefed up the American Leaguers' coffees, given them the entire Dallas market and greatly raised their prestige in the eyes of the public. IN THE ABSENCE of any help of the courts, however, it appeared that the American League would have to stake its success on its public appeal, which has not been overwhelming during the first two years of its existence. "Representatives of the new league have publicly vilified the National Football League for $2\frac{1}{2}$ years," Rozelle stated. "They have blamed the N.F.L. illegal conduct for their lack of success. It is now apparent, as we have known all along, that the A.F.L. was badly misleading the public. Without a court victory, the A.F.L. must continue to buck the established N.F.L. at the box office, on television and in the market for college talent. COMMISSIONER Pete Rozelle called the decision "a complete vindication of the N.F.L." "It is now time for the A.F.L. to face up to free and open competition and direct its attention to football," Rozelle added. THIS WAS THE second major legal battle won by the youthful commissioner during his $2^{1/2}$ years in office. Earlier this year, the Federal government passed a bill permitting pro football and other sports to enter into "package" television deals with a single network. American League officials expressed some disappointment, but said the league would continue and would thrive. Charles Finley Is In Hot Water KANSAS CITY, Mo.—(UPI)—Charles O. Finley, millionaire owner of the Kansas City Athletics, has been in and out of hot water with city officials since he purchased controlling interest in the club a little over a year ago. Today he is back in hot water. A's to Dallas? FINLEY LAST week reportedly asked the American League to consider the transfer of the franchise of the Kansas City A's to Dallas. Today, the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce branded the proposal as "obviously unfair to the people of the central states area who have given such remarkable support to the Athletics and the American League since 1955." In a letter addressed to American League President Joe Cronin, Baseball Commissioner Ford Frick, and U.S. Sen. Stuart Symington, D-Mo., the Kansas City Chamber of Commerce charged: "This is costly to him, but it is also costly to the American League, for each visiting team shares in the gate receipts. We hope that the other American League owners are not misled regarding the cause of dwindling profits from their Kansas City visits. "For Kansas City, the American League franchise is an invaluable, irreplaceable civic asset. It has provided us with many pleasant moments of sporting entertainment. For these and many other positive reasons we have continuously sought to help the owners . . . to enjoy a successful operation in Kansas City. We stand ready to do so now." "THIS YEAR, the Athletics management regrettably reduced preseason promotional efforts well below those of former seasons. Offers of aid were ignored. Tension-producing rumors of a pending franchise switch have been circulating for many months. There has seemed to be little interest by the owner (Finley) in developing a dynamic baseball operation in Kansas City. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE President J. R. Dominick II, said, "There is no justification whatsoever for depriving Kansas City of this franchise. It is worth noting that no other city in the United States has been left without a major league franchise when there has been a move . . . it is our intention that this franchise shall remain in Kansas City." In order for a franchise to be moved from one city to another, it must meet with the approval of the baseball commissioner, league president, and other league owners. BOSTON — (UPI) — The Kansas City Athletics will try to extend Boston's losing streak to six games when they battle the Red Sox in today's only major league afternoon baseball contest. Athletics Play Boston Today Righthander Dave Wickersham, a refugee from the relief corps, is scheduled to pitch for the A's. He has a 3-1 record, but has been used exclusively in relief. Opposing him will be Galen Cisco (3-3). The Athletics routed baseballbasketball star Gene Conley and three relief pitchers last night en route to a 10-5 victory, banging out 14 hits—including home runs by catcher Joe Azcue and pitcher Jerry Walker, the bottom two men in the Kansas City batting order. Walker went the distance for the second time this season and picked up his fifth win against two defeats, despite yielding 12 base knocks. Second baseman Jerry Lumpe led the Kansas City attack with three hits in five appearances and driving in three runs. --- CinemaSCOPE and METROCOLOR ---