Dailu hansan Monday, April 29, 1963 About 250 girls gathered at the Sigma Chi fraternity house Saturday to squirm,wiggle,and run through the events of the Sigma Chi Derby Day. MILKING RELAY-LeAne Burnett, Prairie Village junior, gets her cup filled with water at the Sigma Chi Derby Day by Carol Evertz, Kirkwood, Mo., sophomore. The girls represented Kappa Kappa Gamma in the relays. LAWRENCE. KANSAS Tri-Delts First In Damp 'Derby' More than 600 persons braved a light mist to watch Delta Delta Delta sorority capture first place in the Derby, which is loosely defined as a track and field carnival for women participants. GIRLS FROM 16 living groups locked horns in such events as the fishpole race, egg throw, milking relay, sleeping bag relay, dust bowl, egg swat and musical footballs. The highlight of the day was the crowning of Cathy Bergstrom, Kansas City, Mo., sophomore, representing Pi Beta Phi as Miss Derby Day. Her attendants were Debbie Galbraith, Wichita sophomore, representing Delta Delta Delta and Cathy Speer, Wichita freshman, representing Corbin Hall. Delta Delta Delta won only one first place—the sleeping bag relay—but they picked up five second places for 42 points. Kappa Alpha Theta, which won first place last year, was second with 26 points. Gertrude Sellars Pearson Hall was third with 24 points. The Miss Derby Day contestants wore black blouses and white shorts and were judged on the basis of poise and beauty. AMONG THE FAVORITE events were the mystery event and the sleeping bag relay. The Derby began with the lighting of the Infernal Smudgepot, which bears no resemblance to the urn that is lighted at the Olympic Games. The mystery event was a modified limbo, a favorite event in past Derby Days. Instead of walking underneath a pole, the girls scooted under it on their backs. As the pole was lowered to about six inches from the ground, definite obstacles arose. Cathy Bergstrom The sleeping bag relay, a new event this year, required four girls and five pairs of shorts. The girls were required to run to the end of the Sigma Chi tennis court, hop into the sleeping bag, change into a pair of shorts which they found there, leave their own shorts and run back and tag the next member of their relay team. Most of the contestants wore shorts with bathing suits beneath However, the Pi Beta Phi team wore decorated men shorts with blue jeans beneath. ANOTHER CONTEST was the rough and tumble "musical football" similar to old-fashioned musical chairs played with more girls (Continued on page 8) 60th Year. No.130 OAS Moves to Stop Haiti-Dominican Rift BULLETIN SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic—(UPI)—Venezuela today offered the Dominican Republic armed support in its apparently imminent showdown with Haiti over long-standing political problems. OAS Council Chairman Gonzalo Facio met this morning with envoys from the United States, El Salvador, Ecuador, Chile, and Columbia to discuss the mission. A spokesman said later, however, that no regularly-scheduled airline space could be obtained for the mission. WASHINGTON — (UPI) — The Organization of American States (OAS) moved today to head off possible armed conflict between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. But a special mission to Haiti was delayed, apparently by a transportation problem. A state department spokesman said the United States would provide a plane if asked. There was no immediate request. A foreign office spokesman said Venezuela's President Romulo Betancourt personally assured President Juan Bosch by phone today that his country would furnish the Dominican Republic any air and naval support it might need. The OAS was working against a Dominican ultimatum giving Haiti THE UNITED STATES was not expected to be a member of the mission because of troubles this country has had with the Haiti regime of François Duvalier. 24 hours to halt what it called "aggressive" policies toward Dominican envoys in Haiti. The threat of Dominican military action was raised if Haiti refused. Reports from Port-Au-Prince said the city was quiet, if tense, however. U.S. sources also said they believed the Haitian and Dominican governments would accept the good offices of the OAS to patch up their differences. The OAS was working against a Dominican ultimatum giving the regime of President François Duvalier 24 hours to halt what it called "aggressive" policies toward Dominican envoys in Haiti. It raised a threat of military action if Haiti refused. The U.S. Navy was reported alert to the possibility it might have to remove about 1,000 U.S. citizens from the island although the plan was not put into effect immediately. Navy authorities said there was ample power in the Caribbean to protect U.S. citizens. OAS COUNCIL Chairman Gonzalo Facio met with envvoys from the United States, El Salvador, Ecuador, Chile and Colombia to set a departure time for the mission. It was expected to leave this afternoon. U. S. sources said the Haitian and the Dominican governments had indicated they would accept the good offices of the OAS to patch up their differences. THE OAS COUNCIL met in a special session last night to hear the Dominican charges that Haitian authorities had harassed Dominican diplomats and broken into the Dominican consulate in Port-Au-Prince. *** Dominicans Under 'State of Alert' By United Press International The Dominican Republic cancelled troop leaves under a state of alert today and threatened to send gunboats to the Haitian capital of Port-Au-Prince in a bitter rift that stirred fears of armed conflict between the two neighboring Caribbean nations. The Dominicans charged that Haitian troops seized their embassy in Port-Au-Prince and captured opposition Haitian personalities who had taken asylum there. Haiti declared it would defend itself by "all available means." THE DOMINICANS charged that Haiti had developed secret ties with communist Poland and Czechoslovakia that were "furthering communist infiltration in the Caribbean area." Haiti countered by charging the Dominican government was trying to wage a "megalomaniacal" democratic crusade. Anti-American feeling in Haiti was reported to have grown in recent weeks following U.S. action in cutting off economic aid to the dictatorial regime of President François Duvalier. The new flareup was the latest in a long series of disputes between the two nations who share the island of Hispaniola. It added to political tension that has been mounting steadily in Port-Au-Prince and stemmed from international dissension over Duvalier's determination to remain in power. Boston Paper Tells Youths' Story Of Air Raid on Cuban Refinery ✳ ✳ ✳ Customs Checks Possible Violations WASHINGTON — (UPI) The Customs Bureau is investigating reports of a one-plane bombing raid on Havana to determine whether the attack violated the Neutrality or Munitions Control Acts, a spokesman said today. A Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) spokesman said in New York meantime that a twin-engine Beechcraft which may have been used in the raid has been seized, pending an investigation. The customs spokesman said agents were investigating the story of Alexander Rorke, a free-lance reporter and photographer, who said he took part in the raid. The spokesman also said he expected investigators to look into a newspaper story (Boston Traveler) quoting a 21-year-old Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) student and a pilot who said they also went on the raid. Weather Clear to partly cloudy skies in Northeast Kansas are forecast to continue through tomorrow, but drier air narrowed chances of moisture for large areas of the state missed by weekend rains. Top readings today were predicted to range in the 60s with some 70-degree readings in the Southeast. Lows tonight are anticipated to range from the 39s in the Northwest to the upper 40s in the Southeast. BOSTON — (UPI) — The Boston Traveler told today the story of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) student and a daredevil pilot who admitted their part in last Thursday's bombing raid on a Cuban refinery near Havana. In a copyrighted story, the 21- year-old student called it an "almost terrifying experience" but said he would be willing to do it again. "I leaned back in my seat and prayed after we dropped the bombs and our plane zoomed out less than 100 feet above the ground," the crew-cut third-year student was quoted as saying. "I felt sick at my stomach and I was wringing with sweat." THE BOMBS did not explode but the Cuban government said it was holding the United States responsible and would protest to the United Nations. The student and the pilot, both Americans requested that they not be identified for fear of reprisal from the U.S. government, the Traveler said in the story by John Raymond. The student also said MIT officials might enforce academic discipline. They were accompanied on the raid by Alexander I. Rorke Jr., head of a group called "The U.S. Freedom Fighters," and an unidentified Cuban exile leader from Miami. Miami sources told the Traveler the Cuban, who was the bombardier, was a member of the militant exile group known as the Christian Democrats. The student said the twin-engine plane swept over Havana at tree- HE SAID "We had trouble with the fuses. We tried to work out a concussion type cap for the big bomb, but didn't have any luck. A timed detonator didn't work either; we ended up using regular fuses." top level and headed toward the Esso-Shell refinery. Their beacon was a 100-foot tower that spouts flame 24-hours a day. "My right wing nearly tipped the tower as we came in on our first run," the pilot said. "I wish we'd gotten a bomb down that thing. "I WASN'T SCARED particularly; I was too busy flying the plane to worry. After the first pass, when we dropped the 100-pounder and one napalm, I made a 180 degree tight turn, so tight I kept the refinery under my wing tip at all times. "We made a second pass and then Rorke yelled, 'let's get the hell out of here!!' I yelled back, 'that's exactly what we're doing.' "When we hit the coast and were over the water again I dropped back down 50 feet and flew by altimeter at that height nearly all the way back to our base. We had to keep low to duck radar." They said there was no interference from the ground and they saw none of Fidel Castro's planes. JUST BEFORE they passed over Havana, they said, a search light flashed once across the sky, but they did not see it again. The student said he went along on the flight for the excitement but "I've always been in sympathy with the Cuban exiles." He met Rorke a month ago after hearing him on a radio interview. "I told him I was familiar with explosives and would like to help in some way if I could," the student said. "I think the United States is selling out Cuba. I don't want to criticize the White House or the Pentagon, but I disagree with them." The student said he missed two days of classes.