New Iraqi Regime Battles Communists BEIRUT, Lebanon—(UPI)—The new government of Iraq wiped out traces of the overthrown regime of Abdel Karim Kassem in Baghdad today while cleaning up stubborn pockets of Communist resistance in the outskirts. Tuesday, Feb. 12, 1963 Four KU students from Iraq favored their nation's new regime last night in an interview. "I was expecting the rebellion action in Iraq." Ghazal Abbas Husain, Baghdad graduate, said. "because President Abdel Karim Kassim was a failure as a diplomat." Thousands of photographs of Husain said President Kassim welcomed the Communist activities in Iraq and separated Iraq from other Arab countries. This caused Iraq to have bad relations with the West and Arab nations. "I hope this new regime helps to create the internal stability in the people of Iraq and help the economic development of her," he said. "The new regime probably would improve the relationships of Iraq with other nations particularly with Arab countries." MORAIR S. GHAZARIAN, Basra junior, said Iraq has been a neutral in politics for the last several years, but Kassim caused Iraq to lean toward Communism. \* \* \* "Kassim did not know what he was doing," he said. President Kassim failed to carry out his country's neutral political policies, he said. By Vinay Kothari Iraq Students Back Regime Saad S. Mahmood, Basrah graduate student, said he was sorry for the people who were killed in the rebellion action. He told that several thousand persons have been killed all over Iraq in the last few months. SALAMAN K. IBRAHIM, Khatoon graduate student, said he did not know much about the whole situation in Iraq because he has been away from home for a long time. "This rebellion movement was the only good step for Iraq to solve the whole problem," he said. Kassem, who was executed by a firing squad last week, were torn from walls in offices and homes to be replaced by pictures of new President Abdul Salam Aref. Photographs of U.A.R. President Gamel Abdul Nasser also blossomed throughout the Iraqi capital. THE CHIEF THREAT to security and calm in the Iraqi capital now seemed to come from undisciplined armed youths sporting green armbands who were roaming the capital to root out "communists." Howard reported that tanks and armored cars rumbled through the city as soldiers kept the population under careful scrutiny. But crowds filled the streets, and they seemed to be in a happy mood. Torn pictures of Kassem, who ruled the country for five years, were trampled. LAWRENCE, KANSAS The Air Ministry buildings where Kassem and his supporters held out for hours against the rebels last Friday was wrecked by bombs and shells, Howard reported. "I APPROACHED right up to the gaping wreckage, now guarded by tanks and armored cars manned by rebel Iraqi soldiers wearing berets. They cradled sten guns in their arms." In the first report by a UPI reporter from Baghdad itself, correspondent James Howard said sporadic gunfire echoed in the outskirts of Baghdad today but otherwise the capital was returning to normal. Most of the front wall had crumbled under the rocketing and shelling, exposing bare rooms — some with Kassem portraits still affixed to the wall. The ministry was a shambles. Nearby, a Volkswagen car, its hood crumpled, had run into the curb. The new government appeared to be in firm control." 60th Year, No. 81 Gap Between Press Government Widens Dailu hansan Strained relations between the American press and the State Department could eventually lead to a harmful public attitude toward the U.S. government. This was the opinion of Paul Miller, president of the Associated Paul Miller The AP chief felt that this distinction between the two news factions has caused much of the recent debate on the news-government issue. The dinner was the conclusion of yesterday's William Allen White Foundation activities at KU, in which the former Oklahoma editor received the Foundation's National Award for Journalistic Merit. MILLER SPOKE last night at a dinner co-sponsored by Sigma Delta Chi, professional journalistic society, and Theta Sigma Phi, women's journalistic fraternity in the Big Eight Room of the Kansas Union. Miller added he doesn't believe the State Department is withholding any information at the present time. "THE GENERAL THEORY is that it is the reporter's job to dig and disclose and the press agent's job to do what his boss wants him to do." Miller stated. The AP head said these strained relations could lead to poor public opinion of the government unless a better understanding between the press and government officials is reached. Press and head of the Gannett newspaper chain, regarding the conflict between the nation's newspapers and the recent government press restrictions concerning security measures. Concerning government control of the news, Miller commented that the press and the State Department have failed to agree on security measures for some time. HE ADMITTED that during the Cuban crisis the government had to do something in regard to releasing vital information, but he continued that these restrictions should not remain after the crisis. Nuclear Test Agreement May Come at Conference GENEVA — (UPI) — The United States told the 17-nation disarmament conference today that a nuclear test ban treaty may be in prospect. William C. Foster, director of the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency, told the first 1963 meeting of the 11-months-old conference. "I believe that there is some reason to hope that a test ban agreement may be on the way." The conference was reconvening after an eight-week recess. FOSTER COUPLED his statement with President Kennedy's personal appeal for progress. The President called on the conference to apply new energy and a genuine willingness to negotiate in the search for a test ban treaty. The President issued a special statement as the delegates resumed their work here, with Foster replacing the resigned Arthur H. Dean as chief American representative to the talks. Canada's New Cabinet Holds First Meeting Foster asked the Russians to abandon propaganda and "take it or leave it" bargaining tactics. SUCH MOVES would wipe out the overseas bases the United States has set up for its nuclear-capable Polaris-equipped submarines and the bases used by its long range bombers equipped with nuclear bombs. OTTAWA — (UPI) — Prime Minister John Diefenbaker today meets his rebuilt cabinet after drawing first blood with liberal leader Lester B. Pearson in an election campaign that will take them across Canada by April 8. It would include dismantling of foreign bases for nuclear and rocket-armed submarines and forbidding these vessels the use of foreign ports, and the withdrawal from foreign bases of all airplanes armed with nuclear weapons. The Soviets said that to reduce the risk of war, a number of steps must be carried out. "It is time for them to come down to hard facts," he said. Diefenbaker was expected within a day or two to announce more appointments to his cabinet, which had split on the nuclear weapons issue and anti-Americanism. "For it does seem to us that the basic ingredient of success—a desire for agreement by both nuclear sides—may now exist. Certainly it does on our side." ALTHOUGH THE OFFICIAL start for the two party leaders in the campaign is not scheduled until the end of the month, both gave major pre-campaign speeches. BOTH FANFANI and the left-wing Socialists, who have supported the center-left in Parliament, have expressed a desire for early elections. ROME — (UPI) — Italian President Antonio Segni prepared today to dissolve Parliament and call national elections. The Socialists, after threatening to bring down the government, backed down. They later virtually repudiated the center-left. Italian Parliament Faces Dissolution Segni tipped off his intentions by receiving Senate President Cesare Merzagora, a formality required for the dissolving of Parliament. Speculation that Segni was about to call the elections, and thus end at least the first phase of Premier Amintore Fanfani's "center-left" government, has been widespread for several weeks. The center-left has been practically inoperative for the past month and a half because of a bitter dispute between Fanfani's Christian Democratic party and the Socialists. IT WAS EXPECTED that Parliament would be dissolved before the end of the week, and the election would be called for April 21 or 28. THE CHRISTIAN Democrats balked at setting up regional governments demanded by the Socialists, basing their refusal on the Socialists' failure to break all remaining ties with their former Communist allies. National elections are required every five years by the Italian constitution, and June was the latest possible date for them. The result is that the government's legislative program has been shelved until after the elections. Diefenbaker, shaken by his government's defeat and three cabinet resignations, faced 1,900 businessmen and financiers in Toronto. HE FAILED to win more than scattered applause as he tried a "wait and see" defense policy on nuclear weapons that triggered his government's defeat. In Ottawa, Pearson told 800 cheering party supporters at a banquet sponsored by the party's national council that his announced policy to acquire nuclear weapons was developed to fulfill the commitment made by the prime minister in 1959. As for the cabinet resignations, Diefenbaker took care of them yesterday. HE APPOINTED Senator M. Wallace McCutcheon trade and commerce minister, moved Gordon Churchill from veterans affairs to defense and gave Churchill's post to former Commons Speaker Marcel Lambert. Churchill replaced Douglas Harkness who quit last week in disagreement with the prime minister's nuclear weapons policies. McCutecheon, former right-hand man to Toronto tycoon E. P. Taylor, takes over from energetic George Hees who quit Saturday mainly on the weapons issue. Both Foster and Kennedy in the presidential message read by Foster said the conference should aim right now at reaching agreement on the key test ban treaty and on what Kennedy called "measures to reduce the risk of war by accident, miscalculation, or failure of communication..." Foster gave the delegates in the old League of Nations council chamber an up-to-date report on East-West test ban negotiations. He said progress was made in talks last month in Washington and New York in which the United States, Russia and Britain took part. But he said the talks did not produce a treaty for "one basic reason"—Soviet unwillingness to bargain. KENNEDY SAW no easy route to agreement here, but he said he felt the prospects of reaching a test ban treaty had improved because of the Soviet Union's acceptance of the principle of on-site inspection. "But very important questions remain to be worked out," Kennedy said. "We must seek an agreement that will serve the world's real interests by deserving, and promoting, confidence and trust among the nations." The President added that "discussions to date have indicated a mutual interest in specific risk of war measures." "THIS SUGGESTS that now may be the time to actively pursue these matters," he said. "It is clear, then, that the conference has before it new opportunities for serious negotiation." HOWEVER, PROSPECTS FOR agreement were dimmed by advance Soviet attacks on the United States. An indication of a Soviet "hard" line was a report that the Russians have refused to set a date immediately for nuclear talks which the West wants held concurrently with the full conference. Authoritative sources said Soviet negotiator Vassili V. Kuznetsov refused to fix an opening of the nuclear subcommittee — made up of the United States, Britain and Russia — when he met with Foster yesterday. They speculated the Russians wanted to fire a major propaganda blast at the renewed U.S. underground tests before the subcommittee gets down to business. Weather Considerable sunshine and a slight warming trend were forecast for Kansas today, but temperatures were not expected to rise much above freezing. Hoch Seats Were Available For Smothers' Brothers Show Approximately 150-175 good seats were available to the independent buyer for the Smothers Brothers' performance Saturday night. One hundred tickets for the main floor and 50-75 for the first balcony were withheld for general sale after the blocks were sold. HALF OF THESE TICKETS were sold at the Union and half at the information booth, said Bob Moutrie, St. Louis, Mo., junior and chairman of the SUA Special Events Committee. "We tried to avoid this problem on campus but the demand was too great for the seating facilities. We're trying to arrange to improve seating conditions for the next concert," he said. Moutrie explained. "We had this problem last year at the Lime-liter's performance so we were especially careful this time to be sure and save back tickets for the good seats." FRATERNITIES PURCHASED 2,000 tickets in blocks and men's residence and scholarship halls purchased 1.000. Some of these seats were in the second balcony, and some sold to individuals were as far down as eighth row, center. "We left instructions that no groups of over ten tickets on the main floor were to be sold in the general sale. All of the tickets were gone by noon the first day," said Moutrie.