Vote to fire Chalmers fails The Kansas Board of Regents rejected a motion for immediate dismissal of Chancellor E. Laurence Chalmers Jr. by a tight vote of 4-3 Sunday afternoon. The Board decided in the closed-door meeting to delay any further action for a period of three months. After the vote was taken, the board decided to strike the motion from the official record of the meeting. Max Bickford, executive officer of the board, said the board could decide at any time to vote "off the record." The three Regents who voted in favor of a motion to dismiss Chalmers were Henry Bubb of Topeka, Tom Griffith of Manhattan and Jess Stewart of Wamego. Arthur Cromb of Mission Hills, Paul Wunsch of Kingman, William Danenbarger of Concordia and Larry Morgan of Goodland opposed the motion. In other action, according to an official statement, the board voted unanimously to fire Gary D. Jackson for his position as assistant to the dean of men. Jackson was hired this month upon recommendation by the Black Student Union (BSU) in an attempt to fulfill their demands for black representation in administrative offices. The Topeka Police Department said Jackson purchased 27 boxes of ammunition from a Topeka gun store July 17. A motion was put before the board that the attorney general be requested to conduct an immediate investigation into the purchase of firearms and ammunition in more than normal quantities in the Topeka, Kansas City and Lawrence areas in recent weeks. Regents Bubb, Cromb and Stewart were appointed to a subcommittee to investigate allocation of student fees at KU. The board also voted that activity allocations remain at the same level as last year until the investigation is completed. The committee will also conduct an investigation info the hiring procedures of administrative personnel. Bubb said after the meeting that the committee would check to see if student fees could be eliminated and the activities receiving allocations from the fees become self-supporting. In the opening discussion of the meeting, Bubb moved to admit newsmen into the room. "It would be a rape of justice if we sit behind closed doors and discuss the issue without letting the people know what we're thinking," he said. The motion died for lack of a second, and a subsequent motion closed the meeting to the press. 80th Year, No.15 The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas Tuesday, July 28, 1970 Probe recommended for Lawrence A member of the President's commission on campus unrest said Saturday he would recommend that an investigative team be sent to Lawrence to study the causes for recent disturbances in the community. "I think the situation here is of national significance," said Joseph Rhodes Jr., in a meeting with representatives of nearly all factions of the community and the University of Kansas. The five-hour meeting brought together city officials, University students and professors, members of the black community, members of the Lawrence "Support Your Local Police" group, businessmen and "street people." The press was excluded from the meeting. Rhodes, 22, who was recently appointed by President Nixon to the commission headed by William W. Seranton, former governor of Pennsylvania, said he came to Lawrence at the request of a local committee concerned with a biracial investigation of the problems in the city, and was not present in an official sense as a member of the commission. A staff of two men accompanied Rhodes to Lawrence, and recorded the meeting on tape. Miss China Altman, who assists Rhodes in his instruction duties at Harvard, also accompanied him to Lawrence, and said the tapes and photographs would be presented to the commission. Rhodes did not comment on the outcome of the meeting, but a member of the committee responsible for his invitation to Lawrence said those present "were opening up and talking from all viewpoints." Lawrence City Manager Bufford Watson, who was present at the meeting, said, "We were pleased that the groups have 'cooled it' and we hope they have evaluated their positions." Edward Daub, associate professor of history at KU and a member of the committee which sent a telegrammed invitation to Rhodes, said the first meeting was closed to the press in order to gain trust and insure free expression. Daub said any further meetings would be open to the press. He said although there were several strong objects to the possibility of having newsmen present at future meetings, a show of hands at the end of the meeting indicated an overwhelming majority in favor of admitting the press. Dolph Simons Jr., publisher of the Lawrence Journal-World, was present at the meeting, but Daub said Simons had pledged to act as a concerned businessman, and not as a newsman. Those present at the meeting were reluctant to name the topics discussed behind the closed doors. Bill Ebert, KU student body president, said the meeting was intended to give Rhodes an impression of "how torn things are." Miss Altman, Rhodes's assistant, said there was some discussion of vigilante groups, mostly by whites present at the meeting. She also said that some of those present took the position that the most recent of the disturbances in Lawrence were not really campus disturbances. "We reasoned that anything in the community would have to involve the university because of the ratio of students to townspeople," she said. "There seems to be a feeling among townspeople that students are not part of the community." Leaving town? Going for a visit, a party, or just off to see new places and faces—summer is the time for travel by any mode of transportation. "Any mode" would include wheel power, wing power—and thumb power. Tate eyewitness called to testify LOS ANGELES (UPI)—The state's only alleged eyewitness to the Sharon Tate murders was scheduled to testify under courtroom guard today against Charles Manson and three female members of his "family." Linda Kasabian, 20, who will be granted immunity in return for telling her story was to take the stand after the defense cross-examines a young caretaker at the Tate estate the night of the slayings last Aug. 8-9. William Garrretson, 19, told the jury in the trial's opening testimony that he was awakened at dawn but heard no shots, screams, or loud noises in his bungalow, which is located on the other side of the swimming pool from the main residence. Garretson said he first learned of the killings of Miss Tate and four others when police burst into his cottage with drawn guns the next morning. He was at first charged with suspicion of murder in the slayings but later released. Mrs. Kasabian, who lived with the hippie cult at the Spahn Ranch commune at the time of the five killings at the Tate home and two others at the home of grocer Leno LaBianca, has been isolated from the other defendants and kept under special guard pending her testimony. Deputy District Attorney Vincent T. Bugliosi said in his opening statement that Mrs. Kasabian actually saw three killings at the estate rented by Roman Polanski, the movie director husband of the blonde actress. Mrs. Kasabian was said by the state to have driven members of the "family" the next night to the LaBianca home and acted as a lookout there. Bugliosi said Manson ordered her and the others of his cult to carry out a killing at a third home that same night of Aug. 9 in the beach front community of Venice, Calif. But, he said, Mrs Kasabian deliberately thwarted it by knocking on the wrong apartment door. Bugliosi said she witnessed the killings of coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish writer Voitch Frykowski and 18-year-old Steven Parent, who had been visiting young Garretson. Their bodies were found outside the home. On trial with Manson are Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten. The district attorney charged that Manson ordered the murders in an attempt to touch off a black white race war by having the killings blamed on Negroes.