Chancellor reviews week By ANN MORITZ Kansan Staff Writer We came very close to losing the University of Kansas, said Chancellor E. Laurence Chalmers Jr., in a Kansan interview Monday. It may be impossible for many citizens to understand, he said, but the university was continuously confronted by law enforcement authorities, threats and students these past few weeks. "I am confident that thousands are now really concerned about the issues of Cambodia and the Kent State incident," he said. Many of those same law enforcement officials are now being asked to come speak in organized programs, Chalmers said. There will be as much or more learning now in these three weeks than perhaps any three weeks this year, Chalmers said. He termed the outcome of the student convocation Friday as excellent. It demonstrated the solidarity of students and faculty that is possible at KU, he said. "Many were uncertain as to where we were going with the alternatives presented and why. They're beginning to understand now." he said. The chancellor said that all community reactions have been favorable. One enthusiast expressed support in a more substantial way with a check to the Endowment Association for $100, Chalmers said. Many of the people in the community are expressing relief as well as approval, he said. Governor Docking has told Chalmers only that he has received calls threatening the chancellor's position. Chalmers said that the governor has expressed no agreement with these calls. "Even I have received these types of calls," he said. "But I am not the Chancellor of Kansas nor of Douglas County. I don't represent the entire state, just this University of students, faculty, staff and alumni. What I do is only with reference to the University of Kansas." Questions have been asked as to why no discussion was allowed before the students voted on the alternatives Friday afternoon. Those alternatives were presented to the students in several ways starting at 9 a.m. Friday morning, Chalmers said. Students had a chance to think about the alternatives. They also had a chance to air their views in Hoch Auditorium on Thursday afternoon, he said. The administrators and members of the Senate Executive Committee decided as a group that discussion would not be necessary, he said. The alternatives were rather broad and the measure itself wasn't that complicated, Chalmers said. The response was very genuine and enthusiastic to the vote on the alternatives, he said, if discussion were allowed it would have been very difficult to enact. Within hours after the student convocation, one could feel the tension lifting, Chal- (Continued to page 20) Chancellor E. Laurence Chalmers Jr. Chalmers termed the outcome of the convocation "excellent," and said he hoped there would be as much learning in the next three weeks as during any three weeks in the academic year. 80th Year, No.133 The University of Kansas—Lawrence, Kansas Tuesday, May 12, 1970 UDK News Roundup By United Press International Israel mounts attacks Two spearheads of 100 Israeli tanks and 1,000 infantrymen drove into southern Lebanon today to wipe out Arab guerrilla bases in what appeared to be the biggest battle since the 1967 Middle East War and the first time since then Israel had fought three Arab nations in one area. Soviets decry proposal Both Israel and Lebanon asked for an urgent meeting of the U.N. Security Council. The official news agency Tass said the British proposal made last month was "only a screen covering actual support of the American aggression and refusal to disassociate from it." O'Brien speech rapped MOSCOW—The Soviet Union today issued its strongest denunciation yet of a British proposal to reconvene the Geneva Conference on Indochina, complaining the United States has "arrogantly violated" the group's agreements. NEW CASTLE, N.H.—Democratic national chairman Lawrence O'Brien was asked to apologize to the Nixon administration Monday by Sen. Robert J. Dole, R-Kan. Dole attacked O'Brien for a statement O'Brien made Saturday night: "I can only speculate in sorrow whether these young people at Kent State would have been killed were it not for the Nixon-Agnew-Mitchell inflammatory rhetoric." Campus turmoil subsiding; schools remain on strike By United Press International College students ended strikes and returned to classes at scores of campuses across the nation Monday. However, strikes, picketing and turmoil continued at many schools. The emotional upheaval triggered by the movement of U.S. troops in Cambodia and the killings of four Kent (Ohio) State University students appeared to be subsiding. But it was far from "business as usual" in higher education. A group that called itself the "National Strike Center" reported that at least 157 campuses were still shut down. There was no significant back to school movement in the Boston area. California state colleges and university campuses re-opened after a four day shutdown and the big private University of Southern California also reopened. A continuing strike at Stanford University in Palo Alto Calif. was reported at least 50 per cent effective. Only about 25 per cent of Syracuse University's 17,000 students showed up for classes. City University of New York reported its 17 colleges open but most of the professors and the 172,000 students were devoting class time to discussions of world and domestic problems. Some 5,000 students of City College, about one quarter of the total registration, voted to continue a student strike after a student speaker urged them to "bring down this government." Classes resumed at most Illinois colleges and universities. University of Chicago President Edward H. Levi announcing the university would remain open said: "Political action to close the university is misguided. It will not end the war. It is a suppression of freedom." Scuffles broke out when anti-strikers at Oregon State University in Portland, tried to take down street barricades thrown up by strikers. Some 500 anti-strikers marched to City Hall and demanded that Mayor Terry Schrunk take action. He promised the barricades would be taken down. The protest at the University of Georgia dwindled to 11 students seated beneath a tree in front of President Fred C. Davidson's office. Tornado hits Lubbock LUBBOCK, Tex. (UPI)—A tornado striking suddenly out of the darkness of heavy rain and hail hit downtown Lubbock Monday night killing at least 19 persons, injuring at least 500 and causing damage in the millions of dollars. "It's bad" said a Department of Public Safety spokesman. "There is widespread damage to the downtown area. One hospital is full and it is believed there may have been some people trapped in some demolished buildings. "There has been serious damage to the City Hall, Police Department, the Central Fire Station and the Lubbock National Bank" he said. "We just relayed through here on the authority of Gov. Preston Smith that the National Guard be called out." Most of the power in the city was knocked out by the twister. Mobile power supplies and automobile lights provided the only sources of illumination. The DPS spokesman said the tornado touched southwest of the downtown area and moved northeasterly into the business district where the damage was the heaviest. West Texas Hospital in Lubbock, a city of 161,000 on Texas' South Plains, was filled to capacity with persons injured in the twister. Methodist Hospital, also in the city, was filling rapidly. The damage covered an area of about 7,080 square blocks in the downtown section with the worst damage to the area between downtown and the Texas Tech University campus. Lubbock Mayor Jim Granberry declared a state of emergency shortly after the tornado hit.