THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN PUBLISHED SINCE 1889 BY THE STUDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS (USPS 650-640) VOL. 99, NO.141 MONDAY, MAY 1, 1989 Student,21, killed in one-car accident east of Manhattan by Jennifer Corser Kragen staff writer Kansan staff writer Curtis said the two-door 1979 Chevrolet was northbound at 10:25 p.m. when the driver apparently lost control. The car swerded to the left, went into the ditch and rolled over, throwing the two men out of the car. Police have not determined which man was driving the car. Curtis said Mr. Schippert was majoring in physical therapy and spent much of his time studying, said his mother, Eileen Schippert, a former hobies new baseball and fishing. A KU student was killed in an automobile accident Friday night near Manhattan. Mr. Hoffman, of Chapman, was pronounced dead at 10:05 a.m. Saturday, a Med Center spokesman said. David Schippert, 21, died when the car he was in went into a ditch on Highway 113 east of Manhattan and rolled over, throwing both occupants out of the car Mr. Schippert, duncan, was pronounced dead at the scene. Riley county coroner Peggy Peterson said she had not determined the cause of death. The other occupant of the car, Garyn Hoffman, 24, was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in Manhattan and then transferred to the University of Kansas Medical Center, said Ray Hobson, center for the Salina Highway Patrol. were blessed by her. She said he had loved the University of Kansas. "He had an awful lot of friends there," she said. Mr. Schippert lived in an apartment in Lawrence with three roommates. Dan Babeth, Deerfield, III., junior and one of his roommates, said Mr. Schippert had many friends who visited the apartment often. He also was a teaching assistant in human anatomy this semester. Babeth said Mr. Schippper was born Oct. 2, 1967, in Junction City. He attended St. Xavier schools in Junction City and graduated from Chapman High School in Chapman in 1886. He was a member of the St. Xavier Catholic Church. Mrs. Schippert said her son was active in basketball and chorus in high school. He had been class president and was a member of student council. Mr. Schippert's family received friends last night at the Johnson Funeral Chapel in Junction City. A funeral Mass is scheduled for 10 a.m. today at St. Xavier Catholic Church in Junction City. Burial will be in St. Mary's Cemetery. Survivors include his parents, Burl and Audie Schippert, Junction City; a brother, John H Schippert, Junction City; two grandmothers, Mabel Schippert, Granbury, Texas, and Maxine Pleifer, Apache, Okla.; and a grandfather, William Martin, Blanchard, Okla. A memorial fund has been established in Mr. Schippert's name for the Geary Community Hospital Auxiliary of Junction City and to the Junction City Junior League Baseball Association. Beijing's class boycott spreads to nearby city BEIJING — The class boycott by Beijing university students demanding democracy has spread to the nearby city of Tianjin despite heavy pressure from local authorities, students in Tianjin said yesterday. The Associated Press They also said about 10,000 students from Tianjin University and Nankai University held a protest march Friday in the port city to show support for Beijing students who marched the previous day. protection of human beings About 70,000 Beijing students have been hoycotting class for a week. one Beijing march, in which 150,000 students and citizens joined, was the biggest protest in 40 years of communist rule. It capped nearly two weeks of demonstrations by a protester at a free press and protection of human rights. So far, most of the protest activity has been limited to the capital, although smaller marches have been reported in several other cities, jim, jin, and chin is the other city where a large-scale class boycott has been reported. He said students marched peacefully through the city Friday but did not demonstrate outside government offices. The mayor of Tianjin, Li Ruhua, is among officials who have been criticized by students in Beijing for allegedly having gotten his job through an illegal scheme. Wan Li, the chairman of the National People's Congress. A Tianjin University activist said the boycotter began April 24, the same day as in Beijing, and that 90 percent of Nankai students and 70 percent of Tianjin University students were taking part. A Narkai University student said school officials were warning upperclassmen they would not be assigned to police. Police were checking the identificar tions of students entering and leaving campuses, he said. Students in Beijing, meanwhile, continued to demand the government conduct talks with their newly established student associations, which the government has called illegal. Officials met Saturday in a group of invited students, but refused to recognize their new associations. The students in turn rejected the talks, in which officials took a conciliatory tone but urged them to return to class. "It was regrettable," said Wang Dan, one of the leaders of Beijing University's new student association. "It wasn't a dialogue — it was more conference with the students playing reporters and asking questions." Wang and other leaders said the boycott would continue at least through Thursday, the 70th anniversary of China's first student pro-democracy movement. The students will hold another march then. However, some student leaders expressed fears they would be arrested before Thursday in a government effort to head off further embarrassing marches. The huge crowds drawn by the students' protests have made it impossible for police to use force to stop them, while a few quiet arrests could leave the student movement in disarray. "The government is still cheating us," read a student poster at the school. "Continue boycotting to countries where the government insincere dialogue." said another. Students at the Central Academy of Fine Arts put on an exhibition yesterday of photographs of the protests, including the march last week and students' failed efforts. April 20 to commemorate Party headquarters Navy to cut 5% of warheads WASHINGTON — The Navy has decided to retire three short-range nuclear weapons that account for 5 percent of the U.S. stockpile of warheads, officials said yesterday. The Associated Press By 1991, the Navy will retire the ASROC nuclear depth charge, the SUBRC missile and the Terrier missile, a total of 1,100 warheads, according to the Pentagon, which released under the Freedom of Information Act. The weapons originally were intended to provide a nuclear deterrent against attacks on surface ships by Soviet ships and submarines. But Navy strategists think they can protect U.S. ships other means and see a greater threat from Bomber and Badger bombers based on the Soviet mainland. The decision to unilaterally discard the weapons was contained in documents obtained by an independent analyst, William Arkin, and was first reported in yesterday's editions of the New York Times. The decision was confirmed by Navy officers who spoke on condition they not be further identified. it was not clear why the Bush administration chose to take such an important step without public announcement and apparently has not sought to include the weapons in negotiations with The decision was prompted by the realization that the United States had more aircraft carriers and large surface vessels than the Soviet Union, and that they were vulnerable to nuclear attack. Navy officers said. "There is a recognition that if there is a nuclear war at sea, we have got more to lose than the Russians," said Vice Admiral Henry C. Mustan, commander in chief after serving as deputy chief of Naval Operations. or naval operation. "The concept of a nuclear war at sea is a concept whose time has passed. It is in the interest of the country to persuade that the time has passed," Arkin said another reason for the decision appeared to be a shift in emphasis by the Navy from short-range weapons to nuclear-tipped Tomahawk cruise missiles. The Tomahawk can fly below enemy radar and strike targets, such as the drones on the Soviet mainland, at ranges of 1,300 miles. The Soviet Union has insisted that the United States agree to limit or ban submarine-launched Fomahawk cruise missiles, but the Navy balked under the Reagan administration. The issue is being considered as part of a strategic review being conducted by the Bush administration. Mustin said in the Times article. the decision to retrain the short-range nuclear weapons will not affect strategic ballistic missiles stationed aboard Navy nuclear submarines that form a key leg of the U.S. nuclear triad. Naval and sea-based the triad is composed of land and sea-based weapons intended to deter a large-scale attack. Mahoots lead singer Steve Wilson, of Lawrence, performs an original song with the band. 1,500 gather for Day on the Hill to hear local, national groups play by Michele Logan Kansan staff writer Bill Freeman arrived on the hill yesterday expecting to hear lots of music and to see a bunch of wild and crazy people. "Thank God I wasn't disappointed," said Freeman, Topeka resident, about a "Day on the Hill." Sponsored by Student Union Activities and part of Spring Arts Week. the event included such national acts as Love Tractor and Too Much Joy, who performed in estimated crowd of 500 people. Also featured was local talent, including Pathetic Excuse, the Maboots, the Works and the Moving Van Goghs. Wendy Poindexter, Overland Park sophomore, and Richard Local bands performed for 30 minutes each. Too Much Joy played for one hour and Love Tractor played for an hour and a Susan Levinson, SUA coordinator, said the event, which lasted from 1 to 9 p.m., cost $4,000. SUA paid Too Much Joy and Love Victor $2,100 to perform, while local bands played for exposure only. "As long as they are 21 and have 3.2 percent beer, then it's OK for them to it on campus," Kern said. Amid a crowd playing playful frisbee, frisbie and hackeysack, some students were just sitting on blankets listening to the music. R. L. Kern, KU police officer, said that KU police had not had any problems with crowd control or alcohol. About 1,500 people relax and watch the band The Works perform as part of the "Day on the Hill." Cornell, Olathe sophomore, said they thought the event was a success because so many people showed up. Jennifer Geldon, Overland Park freshman, said "There weren't many problems that I noticed, but the Moving Van Googs were really hard to understand and everything had to be stopped for 30 minutes because the Campanile bells began ringing. 2-day search doesn't yield missing man by Angela Clark Kansan staff writer A boat's anchor was the only clue found yesterday to help police in their search for a Kansas City, Kan. man presumed drowned this weekend in Clinton Lake, the Douglas County sheriff said. About 15 people dredged and dove yesterday looking for Paul Standridge, 52, who fell out of his fishing boat Saturday when a wave made him lose his balance. Douglas County sherriff Loren Anson discovered the boat's anchor was found on the船, the second day of the search. "From now on, we'll concentrate on the area where we found the archbishop. Anderson said. We went to the table and where the accident happened before. Standbridge fell Saturday afternoon when he went in a boat to check his fishing lines in an area where trees are in the water. Anderson said. The anchor was discovered southeast of boat ramp No. 3, at the western end of the lake. Anderson searched the end of the lake was searched yesterday. "A large wave came along and he was using the steering lever for stability when it broke off," Anderson said. A Kansas City, Kan., woman was also in the boat, he said. "The boat drifted farther and she finally got it stopped," he said. "Another wave came by and the boat capsized." The woman, Lila McLee, 62, had a life preserver on and was able to hold onto the boat until she was picked up by a passenger. Anderson said. It takes about 30 minutes at Lawrence Memorial Hospital for shock and hypothermia The search was called off about 5:30 p.m. because of darkness, Anderson said. He said searchers planned to concentrate on the area where the anchor was found tomorrow. "Then we'll go from there," he said. Anderson said the biggest problem of yesterday's search was that other boaters were not aware of the search. "We put out buoys as a reference point and other boaters didn't know what we were doing," he said. "They weren't here." They had a couple times we had to start over." Rich Barr, spokesman for the Lawrence Fire Department and one of the divers with the Douglas County Recovery Team, said the divers were 9:30 p.m. yesterday because they didn't know exactly where to look. "It's somewhat futile to go down and check every place," Barr said. "There are also a lot of trees and brush underwater. There is just no visibility at the bottom of the lake." Altered highway plan passes in spite of opposition Kansan staff writer by Alan Morgan TOPEKA — A scaled down highway plan was passed by both the Senate and House last night, leaving some House members wondering what had happened behind the scenes. what had happened. The bill now goes before Gov. Mike Hayden for his signature. Hayden yesterday called passage of the highway program "the most significant step for highways in state history." The highway plan was passed by the Senate without discussion, 22-16, but the House voted 63-61 at 5:30 p.m. to send it back to conference committee for the sixth time. However, less than an hour later, the House reversed its decision to send the $2.65 billion highway plan back to conference. The decision was reversed, 63-39. State Rep. Betty Jo Charlton, D-Lawrence, questioned the decision to reverse. "I think a deal had to have been cut," said Charlton. "I think what you'll see is a Senate version of the highway bill and a House version of the prison bill. "It passed with three people absent; two of them disappeared. If we don't get a House version of the prison bill tomorrow, I think we will be here for a long time." The House's second vote came after a short recess, when Speaker of the House Jim Braden, R-Clay Center, entertained a motion from State Rep. Artie Lucas, R-Highland. Lucas asked the House to reconsider the vote to send the bill back to conference. The bill was then passed by the House. The bill was then passed by the House. House opponents of the bill said the plan was too large for Kansans to accept and that it would put the state too far into debt. The plan, passed by both houses, was scaled down to $2.05 billion in the plan was The $210 million reduction in the plan was achieved by lowering the amount of revenue bonds from $1.1 billion to $890 million. Braden made it clear after the first vote that the plan would not pass this session because the House did not approve of the proposed version. "That's it," Braden said repeatedly. "As far as it I'm concerned, the bill's dead. I'm ready to go home. I'm disgusted, thoroughly disgusted." Before the bill was voted on again, State Rep. Rex Crowell, R-Longton and House chairman of the conference committee, said "I'm not going to pass some little program that will pave the roads for those who have them and do nothing for the rest of the state," Braden said. that he would not discuss the bill anymore this session. Many Representatives said before the first vote last night that they could further reduce the program's size by sending it back to committee. The Associated Press contributed information to this story.