University Daily Kansan / Wednesday, March 29, 1989 Nation/World 7 Khomeini's heir resigns after order The Associated Press NICOSIA, Cyprus — Ayatollah Ali Montazari resigned yesterday as the heir-apparent to Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini and said he did so at the bidding of the 88-year-old revolutionary patriarch himself. Montazeri was the most prominent casualty so far in a fierce drive by Khomeini to return Iran to the roots of its fundamentalist revolution. Iran's I. N. ambassader, Mohammad Jauafar Mahaliati, also resigned yesterday, two days after the deputy minister in charge of Lariami handed in his resumption. Khomeini last month harshly attacked those who would rebuild links with the West and denounced lagging revolutionary fervor. Mouzaker's resignation came after Khomeini sent him a letter on March 26 asking him to step down, reported Iran's official Teheran radio. "I see myself compelled to obey your orders, because the survival and stability of the Islamic Republic rests on obeying your command," the radio quoted the 64-year-old Montazeri as saying. The immediate cause of Montazer's ouster appears to be his critical assessment of the revolution's accomplishments. Montazer declared last month that Iranian leaders made many mistakes in the first 10 years of the revolution which isolated the fledgling republic from much of the world. After the speech, Khomeini blasted the man he had selected as his successor, without mentioning Montazar's name. "How shortsighted are those who think that because we did not reach final victory at the front, that martyrdom and self-sacrifice are worthless," he said. Iraq to compensate USS Stark families The Associated Press WASHINGTON — U.S. officials said yesterday that Iraq's agreement to pay $27.35 million to the families of the 73 sailors killed in the attack on Sarkis was a satisfactory and fair settlement, but when the payments would be made Bush administration officials privately described the agreement as "satisfactory" and a "fair settlement." The sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, also said it had allowed them to spend over the money. They said Iraqi officials had offered the settlement in "take-it-or-leave-it manner." The agreement, formally announced by the State Department, represents about 92 percent of the $2.6 million the United States had paid to Saudi Arabia in those who died in Iraq's 1987 unprovoked missile attack on the Stark. "The government of Iraq has agreed to pay over $27 million as full compensation for (the) deaths," said state department spokesman Margaret Tutwiler yesterday "The agreement was reached in Baghdad (Monday) following discussions between the foreign ministry of Iraq and a U.S. delegation," she added. A victim compensation payment by Iraq has been described by U.S. government officials. Midwest country could take to maintain good relations Iraq has acknowledged that one of its warplanes fired on the Stark on May 17, 1987, in what it said was a case of mistaken identity. The Iraqis said the finger thought it was attacking an oil tanker bound for Iran. The United States has accepted Iraq's explanation while pressing for financial compensation. Administration sources said that the United States still planned to press Iraq on two other claims — a request for $82.9 million to repair the ship, and a request for compensation after injuries were incurred but survived the attack. Alaskan harbor reopens; oil spill cleanup goes on The Associated Press VALDEZ, Alaska — A important harbor yesterday reopened to tankers that had been lined up to load North Slope crude oil, and cleanup officials said that they had discharged oil controlling by mechanical means the nation's worst oil spill. Coast Guard officials planned to resume burning the spill to slow the spread of the 100-square-mile oil slick on Prince William Sound. Only a tenth of the 10 million gallons of oil spilled has been recovered. Ten tankers were waiting to enter port and load at the marine terminal. Coast Guard Lt. Ed Wielczewkiswicz Tanker traffic was stopped Friday after the 887-foot tanker Exxon Valdez ran aground and began spilling its cargo of oil, and flow through the Alaska oil pipeline was cut to 800,000 barrels a day from 2.1 million barrels. The terminal had about five million barrels of unused capacity by early yesterday. President Bush yesterday dispatched three officials to Alaska to investigate the spill and determine whether the government should take over the cleanup job from Exxon. Bush said that the first priorities were to protect the environment and clean up the spill. Then, he said, the authorities should be prepared. "This is a matter of tremendous concern to Alaskans and, indeed, to all of us," Bush said. Bush was briefed on the disaster by Transportation Secretary Samuel Skinner. Environmental Protection Agency chief William Rollly and Coast Guard Commander Steve Larson met the meeting in the Oak Office, the three left for Alaska The oil spilled into the water when the Exxon Valdez rammed a reef and ran aground. Fewer than 135 000 gallons of oil have been recovered from the 10.1 million-gallon spill. The ship's captain, Joseph Hazelwood, was not on bridge when the accident occurred. The third mate, who did not have proper certification, was in charge, according to Exxon Shipping Co., which owns the tanker. The harbor reopened yesterday, tankers anchored offshore churned in to pick up oil; and winds that had been moving the oil died down. The port had been closed since the accident. Exxon is in charge of the cleanup in one of the world's most environmentally sensitive and biologically rich marine waters. Bush said that 14 federal agencies were involved in cleaning the equipment had been furnished by the Coast Guard. Chinese officials confiscate petition By some projections, the cleanup will require several months. Exxon Shipping Co. president Frank Laursen said it could be up to two years. The Associated Press BEJIING — Customs officers yesterday seized a petition signed by 24,000 Chinese abroad that called for the release of political prisoners in China, according to a priest who tried to carry it into the country. Lau Chin Shek, a Roman Catholic priest from Hong Kong, said that he had planned to present the petition to the National People's Congress. China's legislature, meeting in Beijing. The petition was seized a day before the 10th anniversary of the arrest of dissident Wu Jiegusheng, a member of the Chinese defence for counterrevolutionary crimes. Under Chinese law, Chinese resid in the mainland, Macao and Hong Kong have the right to present petitions to the congress. Lau said that most of the signatures were from Hong Kong residents. Chinese students studying in the United States, Canada and Western Europe also participated, he said. The petition comes as a growing number of intellectuals in China are calling for an amnesty for political activists who have written four open intellectuals have written four open letters urging an amnesty and democratic change. So far, about 200 people have signed. Lau was part of a group of seven Hong Kong intellectuals, including doctors, journalists and clergy, that traveled to Beijing to present the petition. "We made it, but the petition didn't," Lau said. News Briefs The group also asked Chinese authorities to let them visit Wei, who was one of the leaders of the Democracy Wall movement before he was arrested March 29, 1979, for calling for democracy. PROBLEMS IN JAPAN: Prosecu- PROBLEMS IN JAPAN: Prosecutors arrested a second former high government official yesterday in a bribery scandal that is generating pressure on Prime Minister Noboru Takeshita to resign. The two are the highest-ranking public officials to be arrested in the case. Both were accused of stealing millions from the bargain-paired shares for using Yesterday's arrest of Kunio Takaishi, former vice minister of education, coincided with formal charges being filed against Takashi Kato, a former vice minister, of labor. their influence to benefit Recruit Co., an information conglomerate CAPTAIN KIRK'S BIRTHDAY: Residents of Riverside, Iowa, gathered at the VFW hall to celebrate the birthday of an unborn, fictional astronaut — a birthday Trokkos could have dreamed up. About 290 people attended Monday night's "minus 32nd birthday party" of James T. Kirk, the captain of the Starship Enterprise in the movies and popular television series Star Trek "Why is my seven year old so angry?" Your child's uncontrollable behavior might be more than just bad manners. Fact is, it might be a cry for help. Many children misbehave as a way to disguise their feelings. Get the facts about your child's behavior from your Charter Counseling Center. Our trained professionals are available 24 hours a day to explore your situation. Call 841-6000 in Complete Confidence. Real problems. Real solutions. CHARTER COUNSELING CENTER of Lawrence 3210 Mesa Way, Suite B Lawrence, KS 66044 EYES HAVE IT! OPEN YOUR EYES TO A WHOLE NEW CLASS OF COLLEGE LIVING Discover a residence hall that combines the advantages of apartment living with the convenience of living in a dorm. And Naismith Hall features eye-popping amenities that you rarely find in a residence hall, including a coed fitness center, weekly maid service, cable TV lounges on every floor and a computer center with Apple Macintosh computers. With a world of features, a snazzy sense of style and a special eye to detail, Naismith Hall represents a whole new class of college living. OPEN YOUR EYES TO A WHOLE NEW CLASS OF COLLEGE LIVING FEAST YOUR EYES ON ALL NAISMITH HALL HAS TO OFFER TAKE A CLOSEER LOOK AND GET AN EYE-CATCHING GIFT! We'll give you a free pair of fashion sunglasses when you come by and see for yourself all the special features and amenities that make Naismith Hall a whole new class of college living. Take a closer look at Naismith Hall; we think it will be an eye-opening experience for you. - Excellent campus location • Front door bus service to class • "Dine Anytime" lets you have meals with unlimited seconds anytime between breakfast and dinner • Semi-private baths • Fully furnished and carpeted • Individually controlled air conditioning and heating • Free utilities • Large-screen TV in main lobby • Quit study areas • Active social calendar • Laundry and vending facilities • Nine-month academic year lease • Optional payment plans • Swimming pool • Basketball courts • Professional maintenance service TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AND GET AN EYE-CATCHING GIFT! 1800 Maistown Drive - Lawrence, Kansas 60044 *913/843-8559* 800/888-GONU