University Daily Kansan / Wednesday, March 22, 1989 Nation/World 7 Space Center eager for visit by cosmonaut Russian to give space suit to Kansas Cosmosphere The Associated Press HUTCHINSON — The Russians are coming them back. He doesn't think he and Space Center couldn't be happier. In a move that Cosmosphere officials think reflects the Soviet Union's new openness, cosmanat Georgy Grechko will visit Hutchinson in May and present the center with the space suit he has worn four times during Soviet space missions. Cosmosphere officials announced the visit during their monthly meeting Monday. "This is the first time in the West that a Soviet space suit has been given as a gift," said Max Ary, the center's executive director. Greeko will spend five days with Cosmos sphere officials in Hutchinson and also will travel to Texas. The cosmonaut has been in orbit since 2015, slated to man the Soviet Mir space station. In return for the Soviet Union's gift, the Cosmosphere hopes to present Grechko with a restored space suit that was used during the Apollo space program. Plans to make a reusable spacecraft are initive. AnyASK because the U.S. State Department has not yet approved the gift. Ary hopes the Soviet's gift will help the Cosmosphere acquire a Soviet space module that has been in orbit, and other Soviet space equipment. If that happened, he said, the center could create an exhibit featuring the Soviet space program. "I don't care what you think of the Soviets, but I have to give the Soviet space program credit." NASA head will leave post in April WASHINGTON — James C. Fletcher, who reluctantly agreed to become head of NASA just after the Challenger accident in 1986, said that he was resigned effective next month. The Associated Press Fletcher, 69, submitted his resignation to President Bush and said he would leave the National Aeronautics and Space Administration on April 8. recent weeks as president." Fletcher said in his letter of resignation. "I look forward to an eminently successful Bush presidency." Fletcher first served as NASA administrator from April 1971 to May 1977. In May 1986, four months after the Challenger accident in which seven astronauts were killed, then President Reagan asked Fletcher to return to life until the shuttle program was restored. He supervised the long effort of NASA to redesign the flawed rocket engine that caused the Challenger accident and helped to develop a management system that put a greater emphasis on quality control and safety for the shuttle program. obligation. Fletcher said at the time that he was taking the job reluctantly, but that he felt an The space shuttle returned to flight last year and the third post-Challenger flight was successfully ended Saturday. Fletcher said there are no threats to NASA's leadership of NASA in another "humps." After the launch last week of Discovery, Fletcher told reporters that he was "getting anxious about my situation" because he had been accused of President Bush had not named a successor. Fletcher then said that he was told by the White House that a NASA chief would be selected soon, but he added that such promises had been made before and not fulfilled. With a total of nine years, spread throughout two tenures, Fletcher has been adminis- trated by the University of Florida. British official criticized for Pan Am bombing The Associated Press LONDON — Embattled Transport Secretary Paul Channan went before a jeering Parliament yesterday and denied he was hixxed in the bomb before the Pan Am Flight 103 disaster. Channon, often shouting above calls for his resignation, said that after the jumbo jet was blown apart over Scotland on Dec. 21, he concealed from Parliament for security reasons the international alert about a radioicombite bomb. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher rallied to Chamon's defiance, declaring that "totally "I told Parliament all I could," Channon said during a House of Commons emergency debate, forced by the opposition Labor Party. "In investigations where there are also important security matters it is essential of us exercise a certain degree of restraint." He also said that at the time, he thought the disaster could have been an accident. unfair accusations have been made against him by lesser men." But Chamon, 54, appeared increasingly defensive, and there was no sign that his appearance in the after five days would make a parliamentary statement, would ease the onslaught. Critics accuse him of muddled and cavalier conduct, of bungling the warnings from West German and U.S. authorities, and of concealing information until it is forced out. The latest controversy follows a newspaper revelation March 16 that the Department of Transport warned British airlines on Nov. 22 about a radio-cassette bomb. A similar bomb was shot at the village of Lockerbie, killing all 259 people aboard the plane and 11 on the ground. The Transport Department dated a more detailed warning Dec. 19 but only mailed that the report was being issued by operating from British airports in the second week of January, well after the disaster. U.S.: State aided flight terror The Associated Press WASHINGTON — The mid-air bombing of Pan American World Airways Flight 103 is the type of operation that requires a force larger than the official military told Congress yesterday. "We don't believe terrorist organizations can pull off a Pan Am 103 without state support from somewhere," said Clayton E. Mcanaway Jr., the department's associate coordinator for counterterrorism. McMaanage made the comment to the House aviation subcommittee, which was conducting a hearing on aviation security. He did not elaborate during the hearing. In an interview afterward, McManaway stopped short of saying U.S. officials believed a hostile country was behind the disaster, in which 270 people died. He declined to discuss whether authorities investigating the explosion had found any evidence that a foreign power was involved. "We've drawn no conclusions," he said. But he said that operations such as the Flight 103 bombing required a network of people, false passports and other assistance that a government could provide. "I'm a little sorry I said that," he said of his remark to the committee. The FBI has been helping British authorities with the investigation of the Dec. 21 explosion, which occurred over the Scottish town of Lockerbie. When asked which nations might engage in state-sponsored terrorism, he named the six countries that the State Department had listed in the past as participating states: North Korea, Cuba, Iran and the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen. Now at yesterday's hearing, the U.S. airline industry called on the government to install $67 million worth of sophisticated explosives detection equipment at 45 airports in Europe, the Middle East and the Far East. "The major threat is sabotage, and the major threat is overseas," said Richard F. Lally, assistant vice president of security for the Air Transport Association. SHUTTLE ATLANTIS*iSpace shuttle Atlantis will be moved to the launch pad today for a scheduled liftoff next month on a mission that is to send the Magellan ship to orbit the planet Venus. Once the shuttle is secure on Pad 39B, technicians will begin preparing it for launch scheduled for April 28. News Briefs S six hours after the shuttle reaches orbit, the five-member crew will release the probe on the start of a 15-month outward journey. Once in orbit around Venus, Magellan's powerful radar is to switch on and return to Earth the moment a yet of the cloud-shrouded planet. SOVIET SPACE PROGRAMTwo Soviet cosmonauts are preparing for a launch next month to replace the three-man crew orbiting the Earth on the permanently manned space station, Tass said yesterday. Cosmanauts Alexander Viktorenko and Alexander Balandin are scheduled to lift off April 19 to relieve Alexander Volkov, Sergei Krikalev and Valery Polykav, the official agency said. Volkov and Krikalev have been in space for almost four months and Polyakov has been aboard for seven months. The new crew will perform maintenance on the station's instruments and equipment and replace some components, Tass OFFICIAL CONVICTED?A member of President Corazon Aquino's security force was convicted yes- terdery of killing nine people and wounding three others in a drunken shooting spree. He was sentenced to 300 years in prison. Sgt. Marciano Conteaue received 30 years in prison for each of the nine murder counts and a 30-year jail term for the three injuries, said military prosecutor Maj. Victor Pangabuil. Records showed that Contaave was drinking with neighbors, most of them soldiers, on May 28, 1965. Contaave, armed with a 45-caliber pistol, killed five of his companions and wounded another, Pabanguil said. After the shooting, Contaeye went home, fetched an M-16 rifle and barged into a neighbor's house, where he killed four more people and wounded two children. Cantae was arrested three days later. The attackers were in bears, bedded in Yellowstone National Park last fall after gorging themselves on animals that died in the park's summer forest fires, are awakening to another wildlife smorgasbord. Already scattered across the meadows, valleys and hillsides of the northern half of the 2.2 million-acre park are carcasses of elk that failed to survive the snowy winter Some died because much of their traditional winter forage was burned by last year's extensive fires, while other "geriatric" members of the northern elk herd used to survive long time thanks to several lush summers and mild winters, according to Yellowstone biologists. HOME SWEET HOME... Avoid the hassle of doing your laundry in rental machines. Each apartment features a washer and dryer! Constructed 2 years ago, our apartments feature a fully equipped kitchen and a microwave, large bedrooms, gas heat, central air conditioning, and we're located on the KU bus route. - 1 Bedroom $330 - $340 • 2 Bedroom $435 - $440 • 3 Bedroom $525 611 Michigan 843-1971 WOODWAY MACHINERY Office Hours: 12:00 - 5:30 p.m. weekdays 8:30-10:30 a.m. Saturdays THE COMMISSION ON THE STATUS OF WOMEN IS NOW ACCEPTING NOMINATIONS TO HONOR OUTSTANDING STUDENTS, FACULTY AND STAFF FOR NOMINATIONS WANTED WOMEN'S RECOGNITION PROGRAM Hall of Fame; designed to honor outstanding women graduates of the University and K.U. faculty or staff who provide models for students as they choose careers and become effective citizens. Outstanding Woman Teacher-female instructor, student or non-student who has performed effectively and professionally as an educator at the University of Kansas. Outstanding Woman Staff Member-non-faculty woman who has contributed in a unique way to the University. Outstanding International Woman Student-woman student from a country other than the United States who has demonstrated academic achievement and participation in various aspects of community or college life. Outstanding Nontraditional Woman Student-nontraditional woman who has a unique contribution to the University or community. (Nontraditional includes those who are continuing their education after an absence from school, those who are over 21 and just beginning their college education, those who work full-time and attend school part-time, single parents who are students, or veterans.) Outstanding Woman Student in Athletics-for participation in athletic organizations and contribution to the development of women's intercollegiate athletics. Outstanding Woman Student in Leadership-woman student who has exhibited leadership and active participation in concerns of contemporary women on campus, in the community, state, or national level. Outstanding Woman Student In Student Services-for outstanding contributions in student or university organizations. Outstanding Woman Student in Community Services-for active contributions in off-campus oriented work. Outstanding Pioneer Woman-""...for a woman's historic contributions to humanity." OUTSTANDING WOMEN WILL BE HONORED FOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN EACH OF THE ABOVE AREAS. THE WOMEN'S RECOGNITION COMMITTEE WILL REVIEW THE INFORMATION OBTAINED AND ANNOUNCHE THE AWARD WINNERS AT THE WOMEN'S RECOGNITION PROGRAM ON APRIL 13, 1939. FOR NOMINATION FORMS, CONTACT THE EMILY TAYLOR WOMEN'S RESOURCE CENTER, 118 STRONG HALL, 864-3552. DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: MARCH 28,1989 Commission on the Status of Women is a student organization funded by Student Senate.