THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN PUBLISHED SINCE 1889 BY THE STUDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS (USPS 650-640) TUESDAY, MARCH 21, 1989 Snowfall dampens first day of spring VOL.99,NO.112 by Max Evans Kansan staff writer It appeared that the groundhog was on target with his prediction in February for six more weeks of winter. But officials said yesterday's 'blowing snow and cold weather' were typical of Kansas in March. According to the National Weather Service, this week's Lawrence forecast calls for warmer weather today, with the high temperature tomorrow predicted to be about 50 degrees. For Thursday, there will be a chance of rain, with the weather remaining cooler than normal Friday. A warning trend this weekend is predicted to send next week's temperatures back to the 40s and 50s. Jack May, meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Topeka, said, "it's normal to be abnormal," speaking of the seasonal weather. However normal the weather may be, it caught many people off guard. Philip Monsoil, Lawrence senior teacher at school that wasn't cold or snowing. "I came to school in a short sleeve shirt, but I had my laundry in the car so I went and got out a sweatshirt," Monsoil said. Although Lawrence received about an inch of snow, many western parts of the state reported as much as four inches. Blowing snow and high winds prompted the closing of many Kansas highways, including Interstate 70, which was closed from WaKeeney to Goodland. in west-central and southwest Kansas, snow and high winds up to 60 miles an hour caused *kelzur* warming. The rising temperature of the morning and early afternoon Garden City, which had been pummeled last week by a dust storm, was caught in the blizzard. Temperatures dropped from 82 degrees Sunday to 31 degrees Monday afternoon, said Eva Ragan, spokesman for the Garden City branch of the Kansas Highway Patrol. As of 3 p.m., yesterday, the city still was experiencing winds up to 45 miles an hour. A pedestrian shields herself from heavy snow. Snow fell for several hours yesterday, the first day of spring. Amendment could change admissions Legislation would drop suggestion for foreign language requirement by Thom Clark Kansan staff writer An amendment altering the Board of Regents bill regarding qualified admissions will be introduced today by the Board of Trustees, an author of the proposal said. Rep. Bob Vancum, R-Overland Park, said he would introduce an amendment that would eliminate two elements of the Regents plan that have received debate in the Legislature. Vancrum said the proposal would limit qualified admissions to the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and Wichita State University, and it would eliminate a proposal that would require students to take two years of foreign language in high school. "Removing the foreign language requirement eliminates the opposition of the several school districts who cannot afford to maintain a foreign language program," Vancrum said. Qualified admissions would require a college preparatory curriculum for high school students seeking admission to a state university. The Regents recommended college preparatory process for the state includes three units of natural science, three units of math, four units of English, three units of social science and two units of foreign language. Stanley Kopik, executive director of the Regents, said the proposed amendment was a step in the eight direction for reaching a compromise in the Legislature with less than three weeks left in the session. "It was clear from my experiences that there was opposition against the foreign language requirement and that it was to Kansas institutions," Kopilk said. Kopik said qualified admissions would improve the quality of higher education in the state. The open admissions law now guarantees any state high school graduate admission to a state university. *is important to ensure a better preparation of high school students, which will result in better success for Regents' curriculum.* "Okopilk said. State Rep. Jessie Branson, D-Dawrence and member of the House Education Committee, said qualified admissions standards had been developed in other states and in her constituency was divided. Judith Ramaley, executive vice chancellor, said she could not comment on the amendment. Cristiani elected by Salvadorans Right-wing candidate wins vote despite violence linked with party The Associated Press SAN SALVADOR, EI Salvador — Alfredo Cristiani, who has tried to end memories of his right-wing party's links to death squads that killed thousands of his countrymen, won yesterday's presidential election. Fidel Chavez Mena, candidate of the incumbent Christian Democrats, conceded and said, "I have called him personally to congratulate him and express my desire that God entitle him in governing the country." Cristian, of the Republican Nationalist Alliance, or Arena, will take over from President Jose Napoleon Duarte on June 1. Although Duarte was one of the United States' top allies, he was unable to end nine years of civil war with leftist rebels that left 70,000 dead. In Washington, the State Department said it was prepared to support the new Salvadoran government, but only if it protected democracy and human rights. White House Press Secretary Martin Fitzwater said the elections "represent a strong desire by the people of El Salvador for the ability to participate in the election process". But he said the United States was still the primary attacker of guerrilla attacks and human rights abuses" during the balloting. Asked whether the United States accepted the results, Fitzwater said. "I don't think we've reached a judgment about the validity" of the results. U. S. Ambassador William Walker denied that an Arena victory would be a defeat for U.S. policy. The United States has supported El Salvador with $3.5 billion in aid this decade, and some congressmen have said the results left much to be desired. Cristiani, a 41-year-old coffee-grower and businessman, said late Sunday that he "would be the president of all 5 million Salvadorans. We would bring those people in order to pull ourselves out of this profound crisis." The election marked the first time Salvadoran voters had a chance to replace an incumbent civilian government with a distinctly different government, and they apparently chose to do so. Jorge Diaz, member of the Central Election Council, said Arena received just less than 55 percent of the first 131,822 votes tabulated in the report. The council, distributed the figures to journalists at the vote count center Agriculture Minister Antonio Morales Erich said turnout was between 850,000 and 900,000, one of the lowest in Salvadoran history and less than half those eligible. U.S. envoy Walker had said that a turnout of 60 percent or better would represent a defeat for the guerrilla strategy. Enrollment forms herald mail-in fees by Kathy Walsh Kansan staff writer In this last phase, the enrollment card will be replaced with the permit-to-enroll form. Enrollment forms have changed this semester, as the University enters its third and final phase in its transition to fee payment by mail. Edith Guffey, assistant director of the office of student records and registration manager, said the form would be mailed early next week to undergraduate students in the College of Liberal Arts or in the rest of the student body will pick up the forms as they have in the past. No date has been set for the beginning of mail-in fee payment, Guffey said. The new form, which is similar to its predecessor, is expected to make enrollment more convenient for students. Guffey said. The one-sheet form has new information, such as where to change schools and where to apply for degrees. More importantly, it contains information on students, unpaid bills, or holds, as they are called on The idea of changing the format Timetables to be at new location Timetables for 1989 summer and fall enrollment will not be distributed from Strong Hall. Edith Guffey, assistant director of the office of student records and registration manager, said timetables were available in the Student Union Activities office at the Kansas Union and at the candy counter on the second floor of the Burge Union. "we think it is a more convenient pick-up place for students," she said. revolved around the issue of holds," Guffey said. Holds used to be cleared when students paid fees. They now must be paid before enrollment, she said. "Students will not be admitted into the enrollment center unless all holds have been cleared." Guffey said. "To have a hold on your permit form, you must have received a bill. Permit See UNIVERSITY, p. 6, col.1 Haskell senate protests alleged violations of students' rights by Mary Neubauer Kansan staff writer Students who live on the Haskell Indian Junior College campus must work 40 hours each semester without wages or work compensation, and some students think the work and other Haskell policies are violations of their rights. Haskell's policy for student rights and responsibilities states that the work contribution is part of an agreement that exists between Haskell students and the college. The policy also states that student labor is an essential part of Haskell's operations. Dario Robertson, associate professor of law, said Haskell student senate members worked with him and a Haskell graduate, Jim Sandvilley, Lawrence senior, to create a petition protecting violations of student rights. Robertson said the senate members also asked him and volunteer law students to conduct a petition drive March 14 on the Haskell campus. They did not want to conduct the drive themselves, he said, because they were afraid of retaliations from Haskell administration. Marvin Buzzard, acting Haskell vice president, said that Haskell was going through a difficult time and were a lot of people needed to be resolved between Haskell and its student body. Scott Gesner, Lawrence law student, said he thought the drive was a success. "We were out there on a bitterly cold day and 90 to 95 percent of students who were shown the petition signed it," he said. "I only asked two students to sign who didn't." - Unannounced bed checks in Haskell residence halls violated students' Fourth Amendment rights to freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. Students were punished and harassed in retaliation for expression of views concerning the alleged misconduct of the Gerald Anderson. The First Amendment rights to free speech. The petition focused on four alleged violations of constitutionally protected rights. Robertson said 326 students signed the petition in three hours. nannyman administered classroom policy denied students their Fifth Amendment - Haskell students were denied the right to manage and publish the Indian Leader, the campus newspaper, free from administration rights to freedom of the press. Amendment rights to freedom of the press. Robertson said work contribution was not one of the alleged violations. Mr. Robertson stated it before it before - Scott Gesner We were out there on a bitterly cold day and 90 to 95 percent of students who were shown the petition signed it. I only asked two students to sign who didn't.' M, Lawrence law student day of the petition drive. But when students read and signed the petition they immediately asked for work contribution to be included on the list, he said. Buzzard said there was a work contribution provision within the housing agreement contract that students interested in on-campus housing signed. The provision states that the students will provide 20 hours of work contribution and may receive credit to qualify for on-campus housing, he said. "If there is concern that a practice within the institution is a violation of student rights, it will be looked into," he said. "We're not unfamiliar with some of the concerns voiced." "It would be proper for this institution to look into whether practices are permissible or not." Roni Kona, Haskell freshman, said she signed the petition because she wanted alleged violations of her rights at Haskell to stop. Kona said students were given no written As for the work contribution, an amendment to the student rights and responsibilities code posted on the Haskell campus listed punishments for failure to report to work. seasons for bed checks and were not told what was done with the information collected. Kona said the code was a list of rules students had to abide by while attending Haskell. The amendment said that after the first failure to report to work, students must have a conference with their supervisor. After a second failure to report, students' work assignments can be changed to more difficult tasks and work contribution hours can be increased to a maximum of 60 hours. A third failure to report will be considered in contact, which can result in students' expulsion from residence halls or from the college. This is a violation of the Indian students' right to an education, Robertson said. Because Indian students are members of native tribes, once they are admitted to a Bureau of Indian Affairs school, they are considered refugees and must obtain the Code of Federal Regulations for Indians. Under KU work-study program policies, students cannot qualify to work if their grade point average is lower than 2.5. Robertson said. But while 56 percent of Haskell students have GPAs lower than 2.0, students who live on campus still must work, he said. Robertson said that this right entitled students to freely pursue their studies without working if it would hamper their education. unny james, Haskell sophomore, said the amendment to the student rights and responsibilities code did not make the work contribution situation any better. "It it just basically said that if you don't get your hours in, we'll give you more hours or make it harder for you," she said. When students are recruited to attend the school, work contribution is never clearly explained to them and they never actually consent to it. Robertson said. "It is beyond the authority of the college under federal law to require students to work without consent when the government already pays their tuition," he said.