2B Monday, April 17, 1995 SPORTS UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Maryland superstar opts for NBA draft The Associated Press NORFOLK, Va. — Saying it's time to give something back to his family, Joe Smith tearfully announced he is giving up his final two years of eligibility at Maryland to make himself available for the NBA draft. Smith said Friday that he was making the decision now because outside influences had become too intense, with every passer-by asking if he intended to turn pro. Smith needed a police escort to attend the basketball team's annual banquet Wednesday night. "It came to that because I got tired of answering the question," Smith said in a news conference at Maury High School, where he was a prep star. "There were 900 people at that banquet. Think of having 900 people coming up to you and asking that. That's very upsetting." Smith, 19, said his family does not have financial problems. "It's not the money." he said. "But my mom raised seven kids, and it's time for me to give something back." After announcing he was opting for the June draft, Smith sat down beside his mother, Letha, leaned over into her lap and sobbed. It was another emotional moment for the player largely responsible for lifting the Terrapins out of nearly a decade of darkness following the cocaine-induced death of Len Bias. With the 6-foot-10 Smith, Maryland once again became a force in the Atlantic Coast Conference and the NCAA tournament. Smith averaged 20.8 points, 10.4 rebounds and 2.9 blocked shots this season while helping Maryland to a 26-8 record. He was The Associated Press Player of the Year and Naismith College Basketball Player of the Year. Smith said that the only obstacle that could keep him from playing in the NBA next season would be adoption of a rookie salary cap. He will have the option to return to Maryland for his junior year after the draft if he does not hire an agent. Smith plans to return to school today and said he likely will take summer classes to maintain his NCAA eligibility in case he changes his mind and decides he's not ready for the pros. "I don't want to have to sit out the first semester if I return to Maryland next season," Smith said, dispelling reports that the threat of academic ineligibility played a part in his decision. Smith also was accompanied to Friday's news conference by teammate Exree Hipp and Maryland assistant coach Art Perry, who recruited Smith out of high school. Due to previous recruiting commitments, Maryland head coach Gary Williams was not on hand. "I told him to go with his heart-feeling and 'Don't let nobody talk you out of what you want to do for you and your family.' Hipp said. Hipp said it was a sad day for the basketball program, but that the team would be competitive next year with a strong recruiting class. "According to our best information, Joe should go anywhere from first to third in the draft, depending on who's drafting, who's coming out and what their needs are," Perry said. "There's no question he should make a lot of money." Smith becomes the first sophomore and the fourth underclassman to declare for the this year's draft, joining juniors Corliss Williamson of Arkansas, Arizona State's Mario Bennett and Gary Trent of Ohio University. Defending women's champion is favored in Boston Marathon The Associated Press BOSTON — For a change, the balance of power in the Boston Marathon appears to have swung toward the women, headed by defending champion Uta Pippig of Germany. "I think the women's field is better than the men's for the first time," four-time champion Bill Rodgers said. Among those seeking to dethrone Pippig in Boston's 99th running today will be the second, third and fifth place finishers from last year, 1992 Olympic gold medalist Valentina Yegorova of Russia, Elana Meyer of South Africa and Carmen de Oliveira of Brazil. All have broken the 2-hour, 30-minute barrier, led by Pippig, whose 2:21:45 last year smashed Joan Benoit Samuelson's course record by 58 seconds and was the third-fastest marathon ever. Because of her past performances, especially her sizzling 1994 showing, the 29-year-old Pippig has to be regarded as the favorite. She is more familiar with the tricky and difficult course than the others. She has run it four times and never finished worse than third. In addition to her victory last year, she was second in 1990 and third in 1991 and 1992. Furthermore, Pippig is more relaxed this time. Last year, she was completing her medical studies while also concentrating on running. "The last few years, it's been 50-50 — she had exams and she ran," said Dieter Hogan, Pippig's coach for the past eight years. "That's why I think she will improve her time, because of more concentration. "That makes her happy. When she's happy, that's a big plus. Even with the many miles she runs and the hard work, she has fun with her training." Strike affects Boston fans The Associated Press Patriots Day game canceled for the first time in 28 years FORT MYERS, Fla. — It won't be the same for the Boston Red Sox this patriots Day. No split doubleheader, early morning start or racing home to watch the Boston Marathon. Because the strike delayed the start of the season, the Red Sox don't have a home game on Patriots Day for the first time since 1967. Even though that will allow them to sleep late — the games start at 11 a.m. so fans can see the end of the Marathon — some players say they'll miss it. "It's early, but it's fun," Mike Greenwell, outfielder, said. "It's part of tradition, and that makes it worth doing." From 1897 to 167, the Marathon was always held on April 19 (with the exception of April 18, 1915). The first Marathon day game was in 1902, when 35-year-old Cy Young led the Boston Pilgrims to a 7-6 opening day victory at the Huntington Avenue Grounds. For many years, they played a doubleheader, with one game in the morning and one at night so fans could watch the Marathon in between. But the modern Patriots Day tradition began in 1968, when the Marathon switched to the third Monday in April. The Red Sox have won 34 games and lost 35 on Patriots Day. They have had five rain outs. The 1972 strike pushed the opper back to Patriots Day. Opening day also coincided with the Marathon on 1948, a year former Red Sox second baseman Johnny Pesky remembers well. "The morning game, I'll never forget, we hit three straight home runs and lost 4-3. Lou Briasse shut us out in the second game 3-0." Pesky, who is now a Boston coach. said. "Brissie had a wooden leg. (Ted) Williams hit a line drive, knocked his leg off, so he went in the clubhouse and got another one. "We had a helluva ball club, too. Took us a long time to get going, though," Pesky recalled of the team that started by winning 14 games while losing 23 but forced Cleveland into an unprecedented playoff game to decide the American League pennant. Pesky said he likes to go home and watch end of the race. "The guys in the wheelchairs, that really gets me," he said. Roger Clemens, who described himself as more of a Clydesdale than a thoroughbred, said he's impressed with all the marathoners. The farthest he's ever run is 14 miles, Clemens said, when he was 24. Penn State tailback ready for NFL draft The Associated Press STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Ki-Jana Carter says he can't keep up with the rumors about teams trying to trade for the No. 1 pick so they can select them in next weekend's NFL draft. "That's a new one to me," Carter said Friday. "That would be a nice place for me to go." Carter knew that Minnesota and Washington had been trying to obtain the top pick from the expansion Carolina Panthers, but the news that Cleveland, near his Westerville, Ohio home, also was interested came as a surprise. Carter, the Penn State tailback who was the runner-up for the Heisman Trophy last season, is expected to be the first player chosen Saturday. He said being the first player picked might take some sting out of two disappointments — failing to win the Heisman and Penn State finishing No. 2 behind Nebraska. "Being the No. 1 pick, you get more money, but the Heisman Trophy is a great award," Carter said. "I'd love to have both." Team officials from the Vikings, Redskins, Panthers and expansion Jacksonville Jaguars have met with Carter. "The last three or four weeks have been kind of crazy," he said. "I've got to mix all this in with my schoolwork and it's hard." Carter, who gave up his final year of eligibility at Penn State, is taking extra classes so he can graduate in May. All four teams are registered in similar situations. All four teams he visited are in similar situations. "They're all in the rebuilding process," Carter said. "Everybody is real hungry and real focused to put a good team on the field." No matter which team selects him, Carter already has chosen an offseason home and has some ideas about what to do with that first check. "Hopefully, if I have a large amount of money, I will buy my mother a house and a car and get myself a house and car in Westerville," he said. "Then I'll donate some money to my Uncle's church." Miami defensive tackle Warren Sapp was projected to be the top pick in the draft several weeks ago, but reports that he failed a drug test have dropped him down in some projections. Carter said an expansion team would feel more comfortable using its first draft pick on a player with a solid reputation. "They're looking beyond what a player can do on the athletic field," he said. "Having bad media attention is not going to really look good for the team."