2 University Daily Kansan Nation/World Thursday, April 24, 1986 News Briefs savadoran army kills former priest SAN SALVADOR, El Salvador — Government troops killed a former priest who worked with leftist rebels in recent combat outside the capital, the army and rebels said yesterday. Cesar Valle, 39, a former priest who was unarmed, was killed Friday in a fight between rebels and Salvador Félix, the topois of the San Salvador Volcano. The death was announced yesterday over rebel radio in a statement issued by the guerrilla high command. It wasounded in combat and killed by the army after being captured alive. Street people march BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — A bedraggled contingent of homeless held their heads high yesterday in a real-life "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" march to draw attention to their plight. About 30 street people, dressed in threadbare outfits and smelling of downtown alleys, gathered at a Los Angeles street corner as businessmen rushed on their way to the office. Preminger, 80, dies NEW YORK — Otto Preminger, 80, the tempestuous director of controversial but critically ac- claimed films, including "Laura," " Exodus," and "Anatomy of a Murder," died yesterday of cancer. career Preminger's battles with actors and studio bosses led some to call him the most hated man in Hollywood during his four-decade career that produced 50 films. career that produced Although he was nominated twice for an Academy Award, Preminger never won one. 'Bama boycotts wine MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Alabama's Alcoholic Beverage Control Board halted state purchases of French wines yesterday to protest France's refusal to let U.S. planes fly over its air space during the recent bombing raid on Libya. Henry Gray, ABC Board director, said the state bought about 2,500 cases of French wine and champagne a year. Libva blames U.S. for London bombing United Press International TRIPOLI, Libya — Libya asked foreign journalists to leave the country yesterday, but denied they were being expelled, and Libyan officials predicted the CIA and Israeli agents would launch a terrorist attack in Europe. Several hours later, a bomb bore through the London offices of British Airways and American Express. No serious injuries were reported. Europe in the next few hours. Libyan Information Minister Mohammed Safardeed said various intelligence sources had informed the government of Col. Moammar Khadiyah of terrorist operations that would take place in Police in London said an explosion jolted a six-story downtown building housing the British Airways offices. Scotland Yard officials said the bomb was planted in a side entrance and damaged several nearby buildings, including a department store popular with American tourists. Shaferdeedeen said Libya had nothing to do with the predicted attack, but said the CIA and Israeli intelligence were behind it and would blame it on Khadafy. He would not elaborate. After nightfall yesterday, low-flying fighter jets roared over Triopi at least eight times. The planes were presumed to be Libyan, since they prompted no anti-aircraft fire. Liyan officials had no comment on the jet flyovers. In Washington, ABC News reported that Secretary of State George Shultz said in a confidential assessment earlier this week that Khadifa was more dangerous than ever since the U.S. air force on Libya. snultz reportedly warned that Khadafy, whose adopted infant daughter allegedly died in the bombing, might seek personal revenge, possibly targeting members of President Reagan's family. First lady Nancy Reagan is scheduled to travel to to Malaysia and Thailand in the next few weeks while Reagan attends a summit in Japan. Reagan also extended his threats of military retaliation against terrorism to Syria and Iran. "If we have evidence and it is irrefutable like the evidence against Khadaj," the president said, "then given the fact that state-supported terrorism is a form of warfare, we should consider all the options. "As we proved last week, no one can kill Americans andrag about it—no one." Reagan said. "We bear the people of Libya no ill will, but if their government continues its actions, we will torment American们 will act again." that their mission was finished and asked that they leave Libya. we will see encounters at a farewell banquet for more than 200 foreign journalists Tuesday night, Sarafeeded told his guests About 60 reporters left the country immediately, but it appeared that most intended to stay despite the government's request. missed. The request sparked reports that all reporters were being expelled. "No journalists are being expelled." Shafareedae enlisted. "We deny reports that this has happened. The journalists were allowed into Libya to cover a story and the story is finished. Budget-cutting authority debated Adding to the general confusion, journalists were told that those from the United States and other countries would have to go but that others could stay United Press International WASHINGTON — Opponents told the Supreme Court yesterday that Congress violated the Constitution when it gave an unselected government official the power to cut federal spending under the Gramm-Rudman balanced-budget law. Its supporters warned the court that overturning the law would upset a delicate compromise aimed at putting an end to the record-breaking deficit that threatens the country's economy. The contrasting views were voiced during a rare two-hour session of arguments before the Supreme Court, which is expected to rule on the case by July. The justices are considering the constitutionality July. Even if the high court agrees with a lower court ruling against the part of the law ordering how to make automatic budget cuts, the measure's supporters say its goal of wiping out federal red ink still can be achieved. of the law's key provision that triggers automatic cuts if Congress and the administration fail to meet specific deficit figures. specific duties. At the same whether Congress can give away some of its power over the federal purse to the comprotiler general, a relatively obscure government official. ment official. The law, enacted in December, requires annual budget deficits, about $183 billion this year, be cut to zero by 1991, and it sets targets to be met each year. If Congress and the White House fail to agree on how to meet the deficit limit for any year, across-the-board cuts automatically kick in under a formula spelled out in the law. a formula spelled out in the text. The comptroller general, Charles Bowser, would calculate the cuts required to meet the target — a move critics say means neither lawmakers nor the president would have to take the political heat for cutting popular programs. The comptroller general is the nation's top auditor and serves as head of the General Accounting office, an independent agency. The compi- troller, who is allowed to serve one 15-year term, is nominated by the president and approved by the Senate. He can be removed from office only by Congress, through impeachment or a joint resolution. The law was challenged by Rep. Mike Synar, D-Okla., and 11 other congressmen and the National Treasury Employees union. Their suits claim the bill unconstitutionally gave Congress 'budget-making powers to non-elected bureaucrats and improperly mingled responsibilities of the three branches of government. A three-judge panel in February agreed and ruled that part of the law violated the separation of powers doctrine in the Constitution. The ruling intact the intact of the law and the first round of cuts, totaling $11.7 billion, that took effect March 1. Charles Fried, arguing on behalf of the president in his role as solicitor general, charged the grant of authority to the comptroller general violated the Constitution. 1. 000 prisoners could be freed South African pass law to be abolished United Press International CAPE TOWN, South Africa — The white-minority government yesterday announced that it was dismantling the 73-year-old pass law restrictions controlling some movements of blacks As the announcement outlining changes in the bitterly resented pass laws was made in Parliament, unrest erupted in a black township near Johannesburg. At least nine blacks were killed. Under the changes, blacks would no longer have to carry an identity document, also known as a pass, and would be free to settle anywhere they could find accommodation in areas zoned for black residence. Previously, blacks had to receive permission to move even in areas zoned for blacks. Those pass laws were an important pillar of the policy of racial segregation called apartheid. Under the reforms, blacks would still not be permitted to live in white areas. the reform measures mean that blacks, who were arrested for 25 million as compared with nearly 5 million whites in the country, would no longer be arrested for being without a pass and could mean freedom for an estimated 1,000 black prisoners who were arrested for violating the old pass law. A new common identity document will be issued to all South Africans, the government said. to the South Africa. The government said the changes in the pass laws were effective immediately. It was not known whether any prisoners had yet been released. Government ministers made it clear however that, the second main pillar of apartheid, the segregation of housing, hospitals and schools would not be affected. And Chris Heuis, the white minister of constitutional development, warned that freedom of movement should not be seen as a free-for-all and a no-holds-barred opportunity to settle anywhere at any time. time was independent Institute of Race Relations hailed the announcement in Parliament as the most important reform in South Africa since World War II. II. At the United Nations, Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar praised the action as an encouraging development. But Beuhla Rolick, of the Black Sash civil rights movement, predicted that the abolition of the pass laws would not result in greater freedom Budget law draws crowd in courtroom United Press International WASHINGTON — The solemn chambers of the Supreme Court took on the aura of history in the making yesterday as senators, administration officials, tourists and reporters jammed the courtroom to hear arguments on the Gramm-Rudman balanced-budget law. A Supreme Court spokeswoman said the court session drew the biggest crowd since 1974, when the justice heard the case of United States vs. Nixon. The court's ruling in the case — that President Nixon must turn over tape recordings of his conversations — was considered the pivotal event leading to his resignation. Spectators camped overnight to attend the Nixon arguments, but the queue for Gramm-Rudman didn't begin to form until 5:30 a.m. Although the courtroom seats 298 persons in the public area, many rows were reserved for lawyers and government officials. Because of the reduced seating, spectators endured unseasonably cold temperatures and a wind chill of 18 degrees to stand in line. Among those attending the arguments were 114 reporters and 63 lawyers who belong to the Supreme Court bar. Twenty seats were reserved for members of the jury in the act; six Phil Gramm, R-Rexes; Warren Rudman, R-N.H.; and Ernest Hollings, D-S.C.