Tuesday, April 1, 1986 University Daily Kansan Nation/World 9 Marcos may return to 'rescue' country The Associated Press MANILA, Philippines — Ferdiand Marcos said yesterday that he was not corrupt but that President Corazon Aquino was, and he may return from exile to rescue Filipinos from a monster bent on enslaving them. The former president, who fled Feb. 26, made his comments during a telephone statement and in a handwritten letter, calling himself a victim of the blackest of propaganda. He accused elements of the U.S. government of helping him. He said Aquino was the "No. 1 looter," a charge that has been made against Marcos. A source relied on Marcos made a tap of the telephone call and a copy of the letter available to The Associated Press. Presidential spokesman Rene Saguigui said Aquino greeted the comments with typical calm. He said Marcos, 68, may be allowed to return in the distant future, but not just now. "The greatest service Marcos has done to the Filipino nation is to leave it," Saguisag said. "He should not negate it by threatening it come back." In a telephone statement from Honolulu, which the source said was taped yesterday, Marcos said: "We must war again against the monster who imposes slavery." The voice was his. postscript to an eight-page letter dated March 21 and addressed to "My beloved Filipino countrymen" in his home province, Ilioc Norte, said: " death, yes, we will accept perhaps, but slavery never, never, never." Marcos told reporters in Honolulu he still considered himself president. The letter was written on stationary of Malacanang Palace, which has become a museum to preserve what Aquino's government calls the excesses of Marcos and his wife. Imeala. Marcos accused Aquino of allowing her followers to loot his palace and try on the hundreds of dresses his wife left behind. "There was looting not only by the poor but by the rich and powerful," he said. "The more outstanding ladies in the opposition started fitting and using the dresses of the First Lady. A dog could be heard barking in the background as he spoke. "Cry, my beloved people. There is trouble abroad in the land, trouble that reaches into every corner." Marcos said the coup d'etat against him was apparently helped by some elements of the U.S. government, but he gave no names. "In one message from the U.S. Embassy to the Office of Media Affairs, the duty officer in the U.S. Embassy threatened the use of Marines, United States Marines, against Marcos to prevent President Marcos from utilizing his superior military power against the rebels," Marcos said. Khadafy says he won't attack U.S. TRIPOLI, Libya — Libyan leader Ommar Khadifa said yesterday that he would not order attacks against the United States unless it resumed pressure on his country. United Press International In an exclusive interview in his fortress compound in the rundown outskirts of Tripoli, however, Khadia warned that he was ready to fight the United States if necessary and that she could rage beyond Libya's borders. "If war takes place between us and America, we have the right to hit any American targets anywhere in the world," said Khadafy. "Reagan is childish," Khadifa said, smiling. "He plays with fire. He doesn't care about international peace. He is supporting forces against the government in Angola, Afghanistan and Nicaragua. "What does he mean by this?" He plays as if he was in the theater. If it goes on like this, it could lead to a cataclysm." Khadafy appeared tired, possibly because of his confrontation with the U.S. 6th Fleet in the Gulf of Sidra last week, but showed no signs of the illness and sleeplessness described in reports of CIA profile of the Liiban leader. He swiftly focused on the U.S. operation last week in which United States planes fired on Libyan ships, reportedly sinking three of them. Washington has denied Libyan reports that three U.S. planes were shot down. Asked whether he would negotiate with the Reagan administration, which has accused Khadafy of fostering international terrorism, he said flatly it was no use. "The fleet has left, and this is, of course, a victory, not only for Libya but for the whole world," said Khadiyat, speaking in the English he was an army officer during a staff course of communications in Wilton, England. "Reagan is completely ignorant in international policy," Khadfa said. "I think he does not even know the significance of the Gulf of Sidra. Geographically, he does not know where it is." Khadafy said that he had heard the United States was a very complex society and that many Americans were poverty-striken, some so much that they were driven to suicide. He suggested Reagan should take the money he was spending on the Strategic Defense Initiative and spend it on the U.S. people. "If this aggression went on," Khadafy said, "it would be a disaster. The confrontation helped Libya very much because it united the Arab world around us. It escalated the feelings of the Arab world toward us. You see, now America is isolated in the world. Even its allies were against these moves." Khadafy said he would order no actions, including the suicide squads he threatened when the fleet was off Libya's coast. "But you must know many, many people in the world support us, and they are angry," he said. "They may do anything, but we are not responsible for this. "As you know, I did not order any group in the world to do anything. You did not hear me stand up and say this, although I could have." Khadafy, taking a conciliatory line, said the mutual understanding of nations could not be decided by force, sanctions or military means but should be resolved peacefully. He made a point of distinguishing between the Reagan administration and the people of the United States. "Americans are a good people," he said. "They have no aggressions against us. They like us as we like them. They must know I don't hate them. I love them." "But they must also know I am ready to fight. I do not support terrorism, but I am a revolutionary man. If you say I am a terrorist, that means George Washington was a terrorist." Aquino pledges to intervene in strike United Press International MANILA, Philippines — President Corazon Aquino pledged yesterday to intervene in a 10-day old strike by 24,000 workers at strategic U.S. military bases and admitted that the pickets were violating a U.S. Philippine treaty. "I have until tomorrow morning to make a decision or I must, by necessity, have the 7th Fleet Commander divert the ships." Kohn said in a U.S. Subic Bay Naval Base commander Rear Adm. Edwin Kohn announced he would divert a U.S. Navy amphibious assault group headed for a 15-day liberty stop at Subic unless strikers lifted their blockades and returned to work by this morning. Armed Forces television broadcast from Subic, the sprawling logistics and repair center of the insurgency. U. S. negotiators and Philippine union officials scheduled a fifth round of talks at a Joint Labor Committee meeting in Manila today in an effort to rock in the longest walkout ever against U.S. bases. More than 100 Philippine soldiers armed with M-16 rifles remained on tense alert yesterday outside Clark Air Base after firing warning shots to prevent further clashes between 6,000 strikers and The 4,000 soldiers aboard the five-ship navy assault group would boost earnings of Subic nightclubs, taverns and other businesses by an estimated $100,000 a day. A navy spokesman said. thousands of local businessmen. On Sunday, hundreds of bar girls, jeep drivers and vendors whose business had evaporated during the strike chased off pickets manning three blockades outside Clark with a shower of rocks, bottles and sticks. The gates at Clark, home of the 13th Air Force, remained open yesterday, but barricades were up at Subic and the six smaller U.S. bases. Some 800 members of the 24,000-strong Federation of Filipino Civilian Employee Association sped from Clark to Aquino's Manila home with a manifesto denouncing destruction of their picket signs, but returned near dawn after failing to meet with her. ROLL OUT THE BARREL Every Tuesday and Thursday Refill Your "HAWK" Glass ONLY $1.00 2 P.M.-Close It Could Only Happen at THE HAWK • 1340 OHIO *Bargain Show Before you make a long distance commitment, make sure you know what you're getting into. If Fletcher Christian and Captain Bligh had known what being stuck in the same boat would mean, chances are neither would have set foot aboard. And if you're stuck in the same boat with a long distance company that doesn't give you all the services you need, it's easy to harbor mutinous thoughts. But when you pick AT&T as your long distance company, you know you're in for smooth sailing. You'll get trouble-free, reliable service. Immediate long distance connections—even at the busiest hours. And long distance operators to assist you with immediate credit for wrong numbers and collect calling. And you'll get discounts off our Day Rate on your state-to-state calls. With savings of over 50% during weekends until 5pm Sundays, or nights from 11pm to 8am, Sunday through Friday. And 40% discounts evenings between 5pm and 11pm, Sunday through Friday. So when you asked to choose a long distance company, sign aboard with AT&T. With AT&T Long Distance Service, you'll never be left stranded. Just call 1800 222-0300 for more information or to choose AT&T. Reach out and touch someone.* $ \textcircled{c} $AT&T 1986 AT&T The right choice.