8 University Daily Kansan Central America Friday, March 28, 1986 Contras hit, Nicaragua says United Press International MANAGUA, Nicaragua — The Nicaraguan government said yesterday that its troops destroyed important enemy camps along the border in an apparent reference to contra camps inside Honduran territory. "The Defense Ministry statement did not say the fighting was inside Honduran territory, but the Nicaraguan government repeatedly had said in the past that the U.S.-backed rebels' chief training camp was in Honduras near the border with Nicaragua. Meanwhile, the Honduran army yesterday displayed captured Soviet-made weapons, supplies and the fly-covered corpse of five Sandinista soldiers in San Francisco de Capilla wide-scale Nicaraguan incursion. The Honduran army and the U.S. Embassy organized a carefully staged tour for reporters into the region along the Nicaraguan-Honduran border in the first visit by the press to the region since Washington said 1,500 Sandinista soldiers crossed the border. It was impossible to verify the statements because reporters were not permitted to go to the site of the battle. The Hondurans displayed an array of Soviet-made weaponry they said they captured from fleeing Nicaraguans. The captured cache included 38 AK-47 rifles, four machine guns, a SAM-7 hand-held surface-to-air missile, mortars, rocket-propelled grenade launchers, grenades, ammunition, clothing and canned food from Yugoslavia. A helicopter also flew in the bodies of what the Hondurans said were five Sandinista soldiers killed two days ago by Honduran troops in a series of small hit-and-run engagements in the mountains near the border. The Nicaraguan Defense Ministry statement said 40 Sandinista soldiers and 350 contra rebels were killed in fighting along the Nicaraguan-Honduran border in the last week. It said 250 contras and 116 Nicaraguan soldiers were wounded. The Min'stry said government troops destroyed important enemy camps, including the enemy's principal training center. Sandinista troops also destroyed several means of transportation, including one helicopter, the statement said. Until now, Nicaraguan authorities have denied White House allegations that their troops had entered Honduras. The statement said that the Nicaraguan army dealt major blows to the contra forces in different combat areas and that the most important fighting took place along different points on the Honduran-Nicaraguan border where contra forces are trying to penetrate the territory. The ministry said five Sandinista soldiers are missing, adding two who are in Honduran custody, an apparent reference to two soldiers who were presented to reporters late Wednesday in the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa. The ministry is trying to secure their quick release to Nicaragua, the statement said. Meanwhile, Western sources in Tegucigalpa, said the contra rebels killed 200 Nicaraguan soldiers while killing a police officer during base in Honduras last week. U. S. officials have provided most of the details on the reported fighting amid President Reagan's campaign to win congressional approval. Despite the reports of fighting, government offices in Managua and Tegucigalpa began closing yesterday for the Easter weekend. Honduran President Jose Azcona Hoyo was one of thousands of Hondurans who left the capital for the brief holiday. In Washington, the State Department said that Honduran forces were conducting mop-up operations against the remnants of Nicaraguan forces. Charles Redman, State Department spokesman, said it was not clear how many Sandinista troops remained on Honduran territory after the deepest, largest, most serious penetration of Honduran territory ever. 01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789 Nicaragua raids are slap in the face, Reagan says United Press International NEW ORLEANS — President Reagan called Nicaragua raids into Honduras a slap in the face to House members who voted against military aid for the Contras. He also said yesterday that his congressional critics held the lives of the anti-Sandinista rebels in their hands. Beginning an 11-day Easter vacation with a political speech in New Orleans, Reagan called on Congress to grow up and face reality. He asked them to declare war on the world serious negotiations flowed not from proving sincerity but from resolve and leverage. Reagan, introduced by Rep. Henson Moore, R-La., as the greatest freedom fighter of all time, left New Orleans for his Santa Barbara, Calif., ranch, where he plans to spend a quiet and secluded Easter. At a fund-raising appearance for Moore, who is seeking to become Louisiana's first Republican senator, Reagan cited examples of Congress grudgingly and narrowly supporting his foreign affairs initiatives — aid to El Salvador, the Strategic Defense Initiative and aid to the Nicaraguan rebels. "In short, peace through strength is a fact of life, and it is about time America leaves uncertainty and indecision behind," he said. "It is time to grow up and face reality." In the case of El Salvador, he said, congressional opponents suggested a communist victory was inevitable. "Today, the communities are on the run in El Salvador, and even critics believe that the government can make democracy work in his troubled country." The House voted last week against a $100 million aid package for the Contras. Sunglasses tend to protect more than just your eyes Serengeti, Ray Ban, Porsche-Carrera, Gargoyles, Calvin Klein VISIONS Mon.-Pri. 10-5;30; Sat. 10-3 806 Massachusetts 841-7421 Mon.-Fri. 10-5:30: Sat. 10-3 A magical mixture of the classics and pop with just the right amount of comedy sprinkled in . . . The University of Kansas School of Fine Arts Concert Series Presents The Canadian Brass Frederic Mills, Trumpet Ronald Romm, Trumpet Martin Hackleman, French Horn Eugene Watts, Trombone Charles Dallenbach, Tuba The Canadian Brass 8:00 p.m. Monday, March 31, 1986 Hoch Auditorium Tickets on sale in the Murphy Hall Box Office All seats reserved; for reservations call 913/864-3982 Public: $12.50 & $10.50 KU and K-12 Students: $6.25 & $5.25 Senior Citizens/Other Students: $11.50 & $9.50 VISA/MasterCard accepted for phone reservations Partially funded by the Kansas Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts; additional support provided by the KU Student Activity Fee, Swarthout Society and the KU Endowment Association. Half price for KU Students NOW LEASING FOR FALL 86 HEATHERWOOD VALLEY APARTMENTS. One of Lawrence's newer and most energy efficient complexes 2040 Heatherwood Dr. No. 203 HEATHERWOOD VALLEY EXTRAS: - Individually controlled high efficiency heating and air conditioning. - Frostfree refrigerator and dishwasher in every unit. - Swimming pool with sun deck and cabana - Laundry facilities. - Free covered parking on one and two bedroom units. - One, Two, and Three bedroom units from $315. - Quiet southwest location - KU Pure Route Phone 913-843-4754 - KU Bus Route the Sanctuary 7th & Michigan reciprocal with over 300 clubs 843-054 Special New Pricing From Zenith Faculty/Staff/Student/State Employee Announcing Z-200 Advanced PC $2599.35 Purchase Program The new product line from Zenith Data Systems is here. Come in and see all the redesigned, high performance PC-compatible computers. See how the high resolution and sleek styling of Portable Z-171 PC $1559.35 Zenith monochrome and color monitors deliver the best in video display. We invite you to come in today and experience Zenith's Total Performance first-hand! data systems When Total Performance is the only option. For more information on the entire 1985 product line from Zenith Data Systems, visit your local authorized dealer at: (913) 841-5715 Holiday Plaza Owned & Operated By Spike Santee