2 University Daily Kansan Tuesday, March 25, 1986 Nation/World News Briefs Reward for poisoner too small, caller says PHILADELPHIA — A man saying he poisoned Contact, Dietac and Teldrin called a Philadelphia television station yesterday and boasted that the $800,000 reward being offered by a drug manufacturers' association was not enough to capture him. SmithKline Beckman Corp. recalled the medicines Thursday after a man telephoned news organizations and the company to say he had poisoned them. It is not known whether the two callers are the same person. Torturing protested JOHANNESBURG, South Africa JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA The leaders of 10 women's golf clubs have raised the stigma, maximizing, torturing and starving children in political detention and demanded the release of all children in custody. After meeting with the women, Law and Order Minister Louis le Grange rejected the accusations. Lawyer defends raid HANOVER, N.H. — A lawyer for 10 conservative Dartmouth College students who were suspended last month for destroying anti-aparthheid shanties told Dartham's Committee on Standards yesterday that racism was not a motive in the Jan. 21 assault. The students said the attack was intended to clear "trash" from the campus green. The committee of students, faculty and administration began two days of new hearings on the students' appeal of their suspensions. Hinckley denied trip WASHINGTON - A judge yesterday denied a request from presidential assailant John Hinckley Jr. for one trip a month away from the mental hospital where he is committed. Hinckley, now 30, was acquitted by reason of insanity in June 1982 of charges that he tried to assassinate Reagan and wounded three others in a shooting attack March 30, 1981. From Kansan wires More contra votes sought United Press International WASHINGTON - President Reagan lobbied by telephone yesterday in search of enough Senate votes to reverse a setback in the House and prevail in his high-stakes showdown with Congress over military aid for Nicaraguan rebels. On the eve of Senate debate on his $100 million aid request, Reagan was said to be working hard to press his case as White House officials consulted with GOP leaders on modifications likely to swing votes his way. Senate Democrats said yesterday that their price for supporting President Reagan's bid to renew U.S. aid to the Nicaraguan rebels was direct negotiations with Managua and a watchdog role for Congress. Senate Republican sources said that the requirements were basically acceptable and that the chief obstacle to an agreement is allowing Congress a second vote on releasing the full $100 million in aid that the president says the contra rebels need to survive. Democratic leader Robert Byrd of West Virginia and Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole of Kansas worked to fashion a compromise aid package that could include providing the guerrillas with surface-to-air missiles and some other urgently needed military supplies. There was growing support for approving a revised form of Reagan's request, defeated in the Democratic-controlled House last week on a 222-210 vote, but with conditions the White House has opposed. These include direct peace talks between the United States and the Marxist-del Sandini government and a second vote by Congress, which would amount to a certification of whether either or both sides had negotiated in good faith, before the bulk of the $70 million in military aid for the contrast that Reagan seeks is released. and for the Democrats were drafting an alternative that could deny any lethal aid to the contras for up to six months. Reagan contends any such delay could be exploited by the Sandinistas, who have refused to negotiate with the contras. contras. The administration sought to step up pressure on Congo by reporting that a team of U.S. officials that visited Honduras, El Salvador and Costa Rica last week found a high level of expectation that Reagan would succeed, as well as concern over the delay in resolving the aid issue. and issue. The concern, one senior official said, stems from fear of increased repression internally by the Marxist-led Sandinista regime in Nicaragua as well as increased subversion of neighbors as Congress grapples with support for the rebel contras. Navv ferries servicemen to base United Press International MANILA, Philippines — U.S. Navy vessels yesterday skirted blockades to ferry stranded servicemen into Subic Bay Naval Base as 22,000 striking Filipino workers rejected calls to end their four-day job action at the strategic base. Adm. Edwin Kohn, the base commander, urged servicemen in a televised appeal to stay calm and avoid clashes with the hundreds of Filipino workers picketing Subie's three land gates and surrounding coastline. customers U.S. officials and Filipino union leaders said 13 people — seven U.S. servicemen and six Filipinos — had been injured in picket line fighting since the strike began Friday night. No violence was reported Sunday or yesterday. Don't try to cross the picket lines. It can only create friction and possibly some harm," Koha warned in a broadcast over the U.S. Armed Forces network to thousands of stranded military personnel stationed at Subic, a sprawling logistics and repair center 50 miles northwest of Manila. In its first formal response to the strike since it began, the office of the U.S. Commander in Chief of the Pacific Area Command issued a statement warning striking employees that they were absent without leave and would not be paid. U. S. officials said pickets threatened stranded servicemen and their dependents waiting to board U.S. Navy landing vessels, which safely skirted land blockades to carry about 100 U.S. citizens back to Subic. The strike erupted after the Pentagon rejected a demand for severance pay upon resignation, a demand endorsed last month by the federation and local U.S. negotiators as part of a 10-point economic package in a new three-year contract. Court OKs sobriety-check stops The Associated Press WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court yesterday permitted states to continue using sobriety-check roadblocks in their efforts to curb drunken drivers. The action, however, set no national precedent and left unresolved a split among state courts as to whether such police roadblocks violate the privacy rights of motorists who are stopped. The court, without comment, let police in Virginia continue using the roadblocks, although some day they could agree in another case to study the controversy more fully. The sobriety-checkpoint case reached the court at a time when state legislatures, prodded by such groups as Mothers Against Drunk Driving, are cracking down on drunken drivers with stiffer penalties. The use of random stops of automobiles by police to check drivers' licenses and car registration was ruled unconstitutional by the court in 1979. But the 1979 ruling did not bar states from "developing methods for spot checks that involve less intrusion or that do not involve unconstrained exercise of discretion." Since then, many states and local police departments have initiated roadblock programs. Those tactics were upheld by state courts in Virginia, Florida, Illinois, Maryland and Massachusetts. Courts in Washington and New Hampshire, who declared such stops unconstitutional, barred police from using that tactic. Aquino proclaims interim government United Press International MANILA, Philippines — President Corazon Aquino today formed a provisional government, abolishing the National Assembly and assuming sweeping emergency powers for at least six months. In a nationally televised address, Aquino suspended the constitution left by deposed ruler Ferdinand Marcos and said she would form a 30-member commission to draft a new charter within 60 days. The commission would then have 90 days to write the new constitution and submit it to a plebescite after public hearings. Justice Minister Neptali Gonzales read a proclamation providing for an "orderly transition" to the provisional constitution under which Aquino will rule and ultimately to a regular government. "Now, today, I am announcing an interim constitution under which our battered nation can take shelter after years of dictatorship in order to heal its wounds, restore its strength and enjoy the first fruits of its new-found in her remarks, Aquino said. "I have listened with care to the arguments about the form in which we should conduct our political affairs while we put in place a new permanent constitution. freedom." In proclaiming a provisional government, Aquino dissolved the National Assembly, but said she hoped elections could be called in six months to a year to select a new legislature, as well as new town and municipal officials. In the meantime, the provisional constitution gives legislative powers to Aquino, but Gonzales later told a briefing this would be subject to judicial review. Aquino, $3, who was swept into power in a civilian-backed military revolt that ousted the 20-year-old Marcos government, described the provisional charter as a "freedom constitution." "My whole campaign was based on my pledge to restore a respect for human rights and to create democratic institutions which would guarantee genuine popular representation. My announcement today is a major step towards the fulfillment of that pledge," Aquino said. Referring to the Marcos- dominated National Assembly, Aquino said, "if political power is to be returned to its proper limits, and our society cleansed of the crime and repression of recent years, we must cut out the cancer in our political system." India rejects settlement for victims of gas leak United Press International DANBURY, Conn. — Union Carbide Corp. has agreed to pay $350 million to victims of a catastrophic 1984 gas leak from its plant in Bhopal, India. The Indian government today rejected the offer as totally unacceptable. The company said Sunday that the tentative settlement was reached with U.S. attorneys for victims of the disaster, which occurred when methyl isocyanate leaked from Union Carbide's pesticide plant Dec. 2-3, 1984. More than 2,000 people were killed and 200,000 injured in history's worst industrial accident. the Indian government. India's Parliament has given the government the sole right to represent the victims. Indian officials said they would only accept an amount that would fully and fairly compensate all the victims. "Union Carbide is taking every possible step to ensure that the case is settled for a very low amount," Indian officials said. The proposed settlement was reached without the involvement of The statement did not indicate how much India would consider "The reported amount of settlement is inadequate and has always been so and is, therefore, totally unjustified by the government said in a statement." Union Carbide's $350 million offer paid over a period of time would produce a fund of from $500 million to $600 million with accrued interest, said company spokesman Harvey Cobert. The class-action settlement covers everyone harmed by the disaster whether or not they have filed suit. ABSOLUTELY THE BEST. DAVID HAS BEEN HERE 4 TIMES BEFORE. WE GIVE HIM A 9 OR 10. HIS POPULARITY HAS INCREASED SO MUCH NATIONALLY THAT HE IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BOOK. A REAL SUPERSTAR ON THE RISE. BELONGS IN THE COMPANY OF EDDIE MURPHY, RODNEY DANGERFIELD, AND JOHN BELUSHI. NO COVER: 75¢ DRAWS, 1.25 DRINKS Don't forget Twofers! 842-1212 1601 W.23rd 2-10 inch Pizzas 2 toppings on each 2-16 oz. pepsis $950 value for only $800 Hours: Mon.-Thurs.-11 a.m.-2 a.m. Fri. & Sat.-11 a.m.-3 a.m. Sunday-11 a.m:-1 a.m. no coupons Offer good thru March 31st Toppings pepperoni italian sausage ground beef ham anchovies pineapple extra cheese mushrooms jalapenos onions green peppers black olives green olives sliced tomatoes March 25-27 10 a.m.-4 p.m. DATE TIME Kansas Union March 25 Burge Union March 26, 27 PLACE COUNTRY Inn Good: Mon, Tues, Wed. & Thurs. w/coupon BUY ONE DINNER... GET ONE FREE! • CHICKEN • CHICKEN FRIED STEAK (Not good w/any other coupon) Expires 3/31/86 1350 N. 3rd 843-1491 --- KNOWLEDGE THE NEW KAYPRO PC FULLY IBM COMPATIBLE Computerark Offers This COMPLETE SYSTEM For Only $1995 (Including Printer) (Including Printer) This Complete Package Includes: - The KAYPRO PC - The KAYPRO PC With 2 disk drives, monitor, IBM AT-type keyboard - Wordstar Professional Package—And More! - Your. Choice of Printers Panasonic KX P1091 near letter quality printer with 120 characters per second and 2 year warranty. Or Epson XR80 with 128 typesetting and 6 dot graphic modes - Plus Printer Cable, a box of paper, and a box of disks Everything you need at one low price!! VISIT OUR NEW LOCATION! SOUTHWEST PLAZA 2008 W. 23rd — Corner of 23rd & Iowa Mon.-Thurs. 10-7 Fri. & Sat. 10-8 841-0094 "Computerark is A Full Service Center"