10 University Daily Kansan Nation/World Monday. March 24, 1986 Sanctuarv leaders' trial tests jury United Press International TUCSON, Ariz. — The trial of 11 Sanctuary Movement activists accused of smuggling Central American refugees into the United States is forcing the jury to decide whether it is a case of undercover intrigue or religious conviction. Roman Catholic and Protestant leaders from Arizona, Texas and the Mexican border state of Sonora say tales of bloodshed and torture prompted them to help Central Americans fleeing for their lives. The Sanctuary Movement made no secret of bringing aliens into the country through a network of loosely affiliated churches. News conferences were conducted in churches featuring refugees who were masked to conceal their identity. The government, after infiltrating churches with undercover agents, charges that clergy and lay workers broke the law by bringing the aliens into the United States. The trial, which should go to the jury early next month, has had elements of a mystery thriller — secret tapes, outlandish cover stories by informants and witnesses who would not testify. There even was testimony about a plan to let Central America's pedal into Arizona on 10-speed Jurors must decide whether U.S. law was violated by the operation of an underground railroad reminiscent of the one that helped black slaves escape the South before the Civil War. bicycles through a dry river bed. To prosecutor Donald Reno Jr., the issue is simple. Smuggling undocumented aliens into the United States is illegal, no matter the reason, he said. The Sanctuary Movement, professing support from 275 U.S. churches and synagogues, blames the government for refusing political asylum to Salvadoreans and Guatemalans fleeing civil strife. Defense lawyers said the government placed itself in an ironic position by prosecuting church leaders for helping Central Americans while granting safe haven in Hawaii to ousted Philippines' President Ferdinand Marcos. President Perelmanikov At the trial, which drew observers from Canada and the Netherlands, visiting U.S. District Judge Earl Carroll of Phoenix, Ariz., would not let the jury hear arguments of religious conscience or morality. The trial's constitutional issue of separation of church and state spawned civil litigation against the government by religious organizations. Angered that U.S. immigration agents and informants had infiltrated churches, the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. and the American Lutheran Church, among others, have filed suits. Lawyers for the three clergymen, a nun and seven lay workers on trial unexpectedly declined to present defense testimony, claiming Reno failed to prove a criminal case. "The government, in its strange alliance with the court, has shown all the symptoms of a desire to punish certain persons who, because of their Christian vocation, become a danger for the politics of a country" said the Rev, Ramon Dagoberto Quinones, 49, a defendant and a priest in Nogales, Mexico. His parish as well as Catholic and Protestant churches in Arizona were used as way stations as Central Americans were shuttled to Los Angeles, Philadelphia and other cities. The government presented 17 witnesses, mainly Central Americans, since the trial began Oct. 22. Key testimony came from informant Jesus Cruz, an admitted smuggler of Mexican farm laborers who was paid at least $18,000 to ingrate himself with the Sanctuary Movement and record its meetings with a hidden electronic body bug. The jury heard portions of the recordings. Thousands cheer Korean dissident The Associated Press PUSAN, South Korea — Tens of thousands of people filled the streets and cheered dissident leader Kim Young-sam yesterday in the biggest anti-government rally since President Chun Doo Hwan assumed power in 1980. In a speech, Kim Young-sam said the overthrow of President Ferdinand E. Marcos in the Philippines last month gave Korea a good lesson and he hoped Chun paid heed and would not be a second Marcos. The opposition New Korea Democratic Party called the rally to launch the Pusan branch of its drive for signatures supporting constitutional changes. Party officials said that up to 40,000 people turned out. Neutral observers put the number at around 20,000. Authorities gave no estimate. The opposition wants direct presidential elections to replace the electoral college system, which it says favors the president and his governing Democratic Justice Party. The opposition gathering was the biggest in South Korea since the electoral college named Chun, formerly a powerful major general in the army, as president in 1980. Government authorities did not interfere with the rally, which had been well publicized, and police practiced restraint in handling the throng surging around the theater meeting site. The theater had a reported seating capacity of 2,500, but about 4,000 overflowed the aisles and balconies. Kim Young-sam called for a meeting with Chun and Kim Dae-jung, South Korea's other leading official, to break the current political stalemate. km Dae-jung still is under a suspended prison sentence on a sedition conviction. He tried to come to the rally, but police stopped him at Seoul. However, a tape recording he made in advance was played at the meeting, and the crowd heard him declare that the struggle for democracy must go on. In his speech, Kim Young-sam repeated opposition demands for constitutional amendments to provide for direct, popular election of the president. Chun opposes revising the constitution now, saying it would cause unrest at a time when the nation must be united for the Asian Games this fall, the Olympic Games in Seoul in 1986, and the end of Chun's term that year. IFC, Panhellenic and Black Panhellenic invite you to hear EILEEN STEVENS Founder of C.H.U.C.K., a national anti-hazing organization Tuesday, March 25, 1986 10:30 a.m. Jayhawk Room Kansas Union comprehensive health associates * free pregnancy tests * abortion services; conserving * gynecology * contraception Overland Park, KS | 913-345-1400 STADIUM BARBER SHOP 1033 Mass. Downtown ALL HAIRCUTS $6 Quality Haircuts at Reasonable Prices No appt. necessary - Closed on Moms A magical mixture of the classics and pop with just the right amount of comedy sprinkled in . . . The University of Kansas School of Fine Arts Concert Series Presents The Canadian Brass Frederic Mills, Trumpet Ronald Romm, Trumpet Martin Hackleman, French Horn Eugene Watts, Trombone Charles Dailenbon, Tuba 8:00 p.m. Monday, March 31, 1986 Hoch Auditorium Tickets on sale in the Murphy Hall Box Office All seats reserved; for reservations call 913/864-3982 Public: $12.50 & $10.50 KU and K-12 Students: $6.25 & $5.25 Senior Citizens/Other Students: $11.50 & $9.50 VISA/MasterCard accepted for phone reservations Partially funded by the Kansas Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts; additional support provided by the KU Student Activity Fee, Swarthout Society and the KU Endowment Association. Half price for KU Students O