2 University Daily Kansan Nation/World Monday, March 3, 1986 News Briefs Quake shakes Japan; no damages reported TOKYO - A strong earthquake shook a wide area of central and northern Japan yesterday. No casualties or damages were reported, authorities said. The quake, recorded at 4:09 p.m., shook buildings throughout northwest Tokyo and was felt as far away as the northern-most island, Hokkaido, 350 miles north of the capital, the Meteorological Agency said. Iran reports attack Officials said the quake registered 6.1 on the Richter scale. Iran said yesterday that Iraqi warplanes dropped chemical bombs on the Iranian Kurdish town of Baneh, killing and injuring an undetermined number of people. The bombings occurred several hours after a missile, thought fired from an Iranian helicopter, hit a Turkish tanker in the Persian Gulf. Officials said it killed the chief officer and injured a crewman. Tehran radio said Iraqi iraqs dropped the bombs on Baneh once Saturday and four times yesterday. Queen severs link CANBERRA, Australia — Queen Elizabeth II signed a proclamation yesterday severing Australia's last remaining constitutional links with Britain. The Australia Act ends all legislative, judicial and executive ties between the two countries. The queen, however, retains her ceremonial position as queen of Australia. Peace marchers start LOS ANGELES — Participants in "The Great Peace March" set off yesterday on the second day of their journey to Washington, D.C., to make a plea for nuclear disarmament. Walking an average of 15 miles a day, six days a week, the marchers will wind their way across the Mohave Desert, the Rocky Mountains, through the Great Plains and down Broadway in New York City before joining thousands of others for a climactic walk to the Capitol Mall on Nov. 15. From Kansan wires. Aquino abolishes power of detainment From Kansan wires MANILA, Philippines — President Corazon Aquino yesterday abolished the government's power to detain people without charge, a practice her ousted predecessor used in an attempt to quell a growing communist insurgency. She told more than 1 million cheering Filipinos at an outdoor rally that the practice was not warranted and had helped rather than hindered the guerrillas. See related story p. 8. The four are Jose Maria Sison, 47, suspected of being the former leader of the outlawed Communist Party of the Philippines, and three others accused of roles in the insurgency. The crowd at the capital's Luneca Park, many wearing yellow headbands and T-shirts signifying support for Aquino, interrupted her with deafening chants of "Cory, Cory," set off fireworks and let loose hundreds of yellow balloons. Top military officers objected to their being freed without further investigation. Aquino also said that all but four of 484 political prisoners incarcerated under Marcos had been released or were in the process of being released. Those remaining will have their cases reviewed this week, she said. HONOLULU — Ferdinand Marcos ruled the Philippines for 20 years, but when he stepped off a U.S. military plane last week to begin his exile in the United States, suspicions surrounded the former leader. Marcos enters U.S. amid doubts United Press International For two days, Marcos, 68, and his 88-member entourage remained secluded on Hickam Air Force Base while news reports spread that they had smuggled millions of dollars in cash and jewels out of the Philippines. U. S. customs regulations require anyone bringing in more than $10,000 in American or foreign cash or negotiable items to report them. At his first public appearance Friday, the ousted leader, whose annual salary was $5,700, avoided any discussion about his reported wealth. Federal officials estimated Marcone's U.S. holdings at $3 billion. Flanked by his tey-eary wife, Imelda, Marcos said he decided to go into exile to avoid having to unleash bloody carnage in response to a rebellion by his people and some leaders of his armed forces. Gov. George Ariyoshi of Hawaii has invited Marcos to stay in Hawaii, where about three-quarters of the state's 110,000 Filipinos come from Marcos' home province of Ilocos Norte in the northern Philippines. Honolulu Mayor Frank Fasi has suggested Marcos buy or lease the tiny Hawaiian island familiar to him. Aquino has ruled out any attempt to extradite Ferdinand E. Marcos, forced into exile last Wednesday in a nearly bloodless "people power" revolution, for any illegal acts committed during his 20 years as president. The 25-acre Coconut Island in Kaneohe Bay was used for the opening scenes of the 1960s television series. About half of the island recently was put up for sale. But, she said, that did not mean those who committed serious crimes during his regime would escape punishment. "Magnanimity does not mean an absence of justice," she said. "We are gathering evidence and will set up the government structure that will try those who have committed grave crimes against the people, like human rights abuses and stealing." The crowd that gathered yesterday in bayside Rizal park was the largest since the 1983 funeral of Benigno Aquino, slain husband of Corazon Aquino. The funeral attracted nearly 2 million people. Aquino ran against Marcos in a Feb. 7 presidential election. The National Assembly, dominated by Marcos' New Society Movement party, declared him winner Feb. 15, although foreign observers said there was a great deal of ballot fraud. Benigno Aquino was considered Marcos' strongest opponent for the presidency when he was shot and killed Aug. 21, 1983, at Manila airport. Corazon Aquino has repeatedly called Marcos her No. 1 suspect in the shooting. New Society Movement scheduled a meeting for today at which it was expected to nullify the assembly's proclamation declaring Marcos the winner. The rally began with a thanksgiving Mass celebrated by Cardinal Jaime Sin, Roman Catholic archbishop of Manila, who joined Aquino in warning that Marcos' flight to Hawaii did not end the threat to democracy. "There are those who want to slide back into the old and corrupt ways, those who plan to regroup the forces of the dictatorship." Sin told the crowd, estimated by police at over 1 million. Aquino said the situation, while stable, was not yet totally under control. "There are still holdout pockets of military and civilian loyalists. There are still the loyalists who have not surrendered." she said. The first proclamation of Aquino's government restored the writ of habeas corpus, which Marcos suspended in 1981 when he ended eight years of martial law and restored some rights. The suspension of habeas corpus enabled Marcos to hold people without charges indefinitely, denying them the right to a court hearing. "The first people that we will allow inside are those who are poor," she said. "This time I would like them to be privileged." Protestants strike in Belfast Aquino also announced that within two weeks she would open up the presidential palace to the public. United Press International BELFAST, Northern Ireland — Rock-throwing Protestants battled police and blocked roads near two large power stations early today at the beginning of a one-day general strike aimed at destroying the Anglo-Irish nact. Britain sent several hundred troops to the province hoping to blunt the effect of the strike. The strike was called by Protestant Unionist leaders in an attempt to cripple Northern Ireland for 24 hours by closing factories, offices, shops, radio and television stations, airports and roads. Police said they clashed with about 50 rock-throwing men who tried to set up a roadblock with an overturned truck at the entry to Ballymena, 30 miles north of Belfast. No injuries were reported. Protestants parked their cars on an important highway near Carrickfergus, 15 miles north of Belfast. In the Protestant Shankkill road area of Belfast, gangs of club-wielding men wearing combat jackets halted late-running city buses, ordered the passengers off and told the drivers to take the buses back to their depots. Pickets gathered at the gates of East Belfast's two main industrial plants — the Short Brothers aircraft factory and Harland and Wolff shipyards — and planned to prevent workers from entering the factories later in the morning. Police said they also dismantled roadblocks of building rubble set up by youths in East Belfast, the city's predominantly Protestant section, late last night. Elsewhere in Belfast, groups of men at road junctions halted traffic and ordered the drivers to go home and stay there, police said. Alan Wright, leader of the Unionist Ultrism Clubs, said he envisaged chaos across the province by the time the general strike was to begin at midnight yesterday. "I am confident there will be a concrete response from loyalists who are committed to wrecking the agreement," Wright said. The agreement last year gave the Irish Republic a consultative role in British-ruled Northern Ireland. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's government, which last week vowed the strike would not deter Britain from honoring the pact, responded by sending another 450 armed soldiers to keep roads open and transportation moving. The troops joined a 30,000-strong security force, including 8,500 police, already there to minimize the effects of the stoppage and to curb violence. Workers who control the Ballylumford and Kilroot power stations, Northern Ireland's sole sources of electricity, threw power switches to begin running down generators in order to black out the province. West Bank's Arab mayor shot by unknown assassin The Associated Press NABLUS, Occupied West Bank — A moderate Palestinian recently appointed by Israel as mayor of Nablus, the West Bank's largest city, was fatally shot 30 yards from City Hall yesterday as he walked to work, authorities said. The Israeli said the assassin escaped into a crowded market. The killing of Mayor Zafer al-Masri was condemned by both moderate Arabs and Israelis as a backset to Middle East peace efforts. Two Syrian-backed Palestinian factions that reject a negotiated settlement with Israel claimed responsibility. Al-Masri, 44, was the only Arab so far to accept Israeli appointment as a mayor in the West Bank, which Israel captured from Jordan during the 1967 Arab-Israeli War. He took over from an Israeli military officer as head of Nablus, a city of 100,000 people, on Dec. 19 with the tacit support of Jordan's King Hussein and of Yasser Arafat, chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization. Al-Masri was shot at 8 a.m. as he approached the front door of City Hall. Authorities said he died a short time later in a hospital. An Israeli army officer, who insisted on anonymity, said al-Masri was shot twice in the chest and once in the thigh with a .65mm pistol. The army first said he was shot in the back. The Israeli army imposed a curfew that was expected to stay in force until the funeral today. Black flags; were wung from City Hall. Soldiers set up roadblocks at entrances to Nabius and rounded up Arab youths for questioning. One group of 20 Arabs was seen being held at gunpoint. PYRAMID PIZZA'S MONDAY GLADNESS Believe it or not... TONIGHT Buy one get one free! Tonight when you buy any size pizza, you get your second single-topping pizza FREE! Pyramid Pizza 14th and Ohio Under The Wheel 842-3232 free delivery REMEMBER ALL YOU CAN EAT SUNDAYS AT PY