2 University Daily Kansan Thursday, Feb. 20, 1986 News Briefs Nation/World Glass found again in Gerber baby food ATLANTA — More glass was found yesterday in Gerber baby food jars in Florida and Maryland, and the Food and Drug Administration was checking baby food from Georgia stores where glass contamination was confirmed. Glass reportedly has been found this week in jars of Gerber strained peaches in Maryland, strained bananas and carrots in Swainsboro, Ga., strained plums in Winter Haven, Fla, and a bottle of cherry-apple juice in Miami. Grocers in six northern states removed some or all Gerber products from their shelves after two New York state women reported glass in baby food jars last week. Skier dies after slide ALTA, Utah — A teen age skier, who was buried in the snow for 2½ hours when an avalanche roared onto a ski run at this resort yesterday, died after rescuers dug him out, authorities said. The 100-foot-deep, 100-yard-wide avalanche struck about at 3:38 p.m. from Sugarloaf oil and crashed into the side of the Devil's Elbow ski run at the Alta resort about 30 miles southeast of Salt Lake City. It barely missed several other skiers, witnesses said. The unidentified 16-year-old skier was found by rescuers and flown to LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, where he died at 8:45 p.m. from hypothermia and cardiac arrest, said hospital spokesman Tim Madden. Man frees hostages NEW YORK — An ex-convict twice fired by H & B block went into the firm's midtown office with a gun yesterday, took two hostages and released them unharmed. He refused to surrender to police and threatened to kill himself. The ex-convict, Edward Hernandez, 24, of Manhattan, fired a sawed-off shotgun when he entered the office, police said. He released the hostages after he received a letter, signed by the state parole board, which said he would not be considered in violation of his parole. From Kansan wires. U.S. considers closing bases The Associated Press MANILA, Philippines — Accusations of election fraud and veiled threats to close U.S. military bases descended on President Ferdinand E. Marcos from Washington yesterday. Corazon Aquino, who claims she won the presidency, spoke of mass revolt. Marcos accused his Western allies of meddling and raised the possibility of declaring martial law, which he did once before during his 20 years in power. Yesterday he got the first and only congratulatory message for his disputed election victory. It came from the Soviet Union. tory. It came it is on Sunday. The National Assembly, whose canvass is final, declared Saturday that Marcos had won the Feb. 7 election, but an independent poll-watchers' group said its count showed Aquino as the victor. Marcos supporters hold two-thirds of the assembly seats. supported Secretary of State George P. Shultz hinted that the Reagan administration would consider withdrawing Clark Air Base and Subie Bay Naval Base if it decides Marcos kept power by fraud and no longer has his people's support. "Let's put our stake in democracy and freedom above the bases," Shultz told the Senate Budget Committee. U. S. aid is a big factor in the Philippine economy, and U.S. officials have tied future support of the government to an election that is perceived by Filipinos to be free and honest. Marcos, who is 68, said he would exercise the provisions of the law and the constitution to prevent turmoil. He noted that the constitution, which he designed, gives him certain powers that can dismantle the machineries of civil disobedience, but he did not say which ones he would use. His special powers include ordering arrests, ruling by decree and declaring martial law. Aquino, 53, went to Angeles City on the outskirts of the Clark base for her first post-election rally outside Manila and declared, "Let us not rest until we have brought down Marcos." Aquino, whose husband, Benigno, was Marcos' chief political foe until his murder in 1983, told 20,000 people at the rally that she had been warned she might be killed. Benigno Aquino, known as Ninoy, was thought by many to have enough support to be elected over Marcos. bably told themselves that it would be all right to kill him because after a month or two people would forget, but they were mistaken. She said, "My answer is that when Marcos and his puppets planned the death of Ninoy, they pro- "This is my message to Marcos and his puppets: Do not threaten Cory Aquino, because I am convinced that I am not alone, that many of my countrymen are ready to come to my help if Marcos and his puppets have any evil plans." The military said Aquino was killed by a communist agent. Gen. Fabian C. Ver, the army commander, 24 other soldiers and a civilian were acquitted of murder and conspiracy charges in the assassination. Philip Habib, President Reagan's special envoy, met with Vice President-elect Arturo Tolentino yesterday but continued a four-day silence about his talks in the Philippines. A U.S. Embassy spokesman said Habib would remain here at least until the weekend, meeting with government, opposition, business and church representatives. Embassy officials said no decision had been made about who would represent the United States at Marcos' inauguration next week. Delegation says MIAs still alive in Vietnam United Press International WASHINGTON — Members of a congressional delegation just back from Hanoi said yesterday that they were convinced some U.S. prisoners of war or missing servicemen were alive in Southeast Asia. They also said progress was being made to get them out. The Pentagon lists 2,441 U.S. servicemen as missing and unaccounted for in the Vietnam War, but it is generally agreed the vast majority are dead and their bodies cannot be recovered. The news conference came after Solomon had a classified briefing by the Defense Intelligence Agency. "The question becomes," he said, "who they are, where they are, how many and for God's sake, let's bring them home." Of the rest, some — including deserters — stayed behind by choice, usually with their native wives, but others are believed to be held against their will in what one congressman called slave camp conditions in remote areas. Rep. Gerald Solomon, R-N.Y., head of the nine-man congressional group, told a news conference yesterday, that he didn't want to raise any false hopes on the part of family members. However, he said, there is no longer any question about the existence of some U.S. servicemen left behind in Southeast Asia. He quoted the former head of the DIA, Lt. Gen. Eugene Tighe, as saying that "50 to 60 Americans are being held against their will." Rep. Ben Gilman, R-N.Y., said there had been a significant change in the Vietnamese government's position. "It is apparent the Vietnamese are opening the door to a further accounting of live Americans in Southeast Asia," he said. The Vietnamese also announced they would turn over to the United States another 14 bodies of servicemen who had died in the war, bringing to about 165 the number of MIA cases the Vietnamese have cooperated in closing. Bill Bennett, of the National Vietnam Veterans Committee, said an equally significant breakthrough had come in the attitude of the U.S. government. Solomon, asked if it was credible that a Westerner could go unnoticed in a tightly controlled Communist Vietnamese society, said he thought it was possible, since some areas were remote and under semi-autonomous rule of tribal leaders. Autopsies reviewed for links to Tylenol United Press International WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Medical authorities yesterday scoured reports of local deaths this year in search of any links to cyanide-laced Tynelon. Johnson & Johnson placed full-page newspaper ads in its campaign to regain consumer confidence. Officials said there was a remote possibility of exhumation as the investigation of the death of Diane Elsroth on Feb. 8 from cyanide-laced Extra-Strength Tylenol capsules continued. A preliminary review of autopsy reports on 14 people who died since Jan. 1 in the immediate area where Elsroth was poisoned showed no cynanide deaths, officials said. Elsroth, 23, of Peekskill, died at the Yonkers home of her boyfriend. "Thus far we've recovered no cyanide," Millard Hyland, Westchester County medical examiner, said. County spokesman Marc Moran said exhumaction of bodies was a remote possibility and would be ordered only if necessary after cyanide was found to have caused a death. Hyland's office was reviewing an additional 16 deaths in the Bronxville-Yonkers area in which autopsies were not performed initially. A second bottle of the painkiller Tylenol was found last week to contain cyanide. The case prompted Johnson & Johnson to stop production of non-prescription drug capsules. It also started a national scare reminiscent of the one after seven deaths from Tylenol poisoning in Chicago in 1982. The contaminated bottles were from stores two blocks apart in Bronxville, a New York suburb. Johnson & Johnson, the makers of Tylenol, took out advertisements in the nation's newspapers, saying, "If you have Tylenol capsules, we will replace them with Tylenol caplets. And we'll do it at our expense." The ads said the decision to remove from the shelves all over-the-counter Johnson & Johnson capsules was because of "an outrageous act which damages all of us." Wreckage of booster confirmed United Press International CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — Twisted pieces of wreckage strewed across the ocean floor 1,200 feet down were positively identified yesterday as from Challenger's right-hand booster rocket. Officials said it could take up to six months to complete salvage operations. "We've got a lot of small pieces on the ocean floor, meaning it's going to be a very lengthy process to recover all the components," said Air Force Col. Edward O'Connor, who is orchestrating salvage operations for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. He said five large debris fields had been identified roughly in a 330-square-mile rectangular area offshore where shattered shuttle wreckage is known or thought to be resting. Videotabs and photographs taken by the crew of the Johnson-Sea-Link 2, a small four-man submersible, were released yesterday which showed pieces of the right-hand booster's steering system and a large section of a rocket nozzle. But O'Connor said that although 14 large objects were tracked by radar immediately after Challenger exploded Jan. 28, there had not been any sign of the ship's crew compartment or other large shuttle structures. A rupture in the rocket at or near a joint connecting the lower two of four fuel segments is thought to have triggered the explosion of Challenger's external fuel tank 73 seconds after blastoff, killing the seven crew members. "We now have positive identification that this is indeed a portion of the right SRB," O'Connor said in reference to the solid rocket booster. The identification was made from part numbers of photographed debris and a part of the steering system which was hauled to the surface. The photographs indicate no large pieces of the 80-ton rocket survived the brutal impact of the ocean but Capt. Charles Bartholomew, U.S. Navy supervisor of salvage, stressed that only about 20 percent of the debris area had been searched. The task of mapping wreckage falls to a growing fleet of recovery and salvage vessels. Attention Student Organizations It's Budget Time Budget request forms for FY 87 are now available in the Student Senate Office B105 Kansas Union. These forms must be completed and returned by 5 p.m. Friday, March 7. Two workshops will be held to explain the forms and answer any questions. It is strongly recommended that all organizations attend a workshop. Incorrect Budget Requests can result in delayed or reduced funding. Workshops will be held at 4 p.m. Thursday, February 20 and 4 p.m. Wednesday, February 26 in the Jayhawk Room of the Kansas Union. paid for by student activity fee The Only Apartments On The Hill 7