2
University Daily Kansan
Nation/World
Wednesday, Feb. 12, 1986
News Briefs
Crew member dies in desert jet crash
EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — Air Force officials are investigating yesterday's crash of an F-4 Phantom jet in the Mojave Desert during a routine training flight that killed one of two crew members aboard.
Maj. Ronald J. Faris, 34, the plane's flight engineer, died when the jet crashed north of Edwards Air Force Base, base spokeswoman Daria Pauly said. The pilot, Capt. Douglas M. Moss, 32, was able to eject himself before the crash and parachuted to safety, she said.
ALPINE, Texas — The U.S. government is reportedly investigating the case of a man dragged from a Mexican border jail by three bounty hunters and brought half-naked across the border to stand trial for the rape of a civic leader.
The fighter jet had taken off from the base on a proficiency training flight 10 minutes before it crashed, Paula said.
The suspect, Refugio Gonzalez, was being held in Ojinaga, Mexico, after fleeing a sheriff's deputy in Texas. The Mexican government had refused to extradite him.
Man taken from jail
Hot dog hazing ends
HOUSTON — The City Ethics Committee Monday came to the rescue of a transplanted New Yorker who has been trying for more than two years to get permission to sell hot dogs from a pushcart.
The committee berated Houston's legal and health departments for giving Shirley Rubenstein the old bureaucratic runaround.
The committee, which only issues recommendations, said the city set roadblocks to keep Rubenstein from even applying for a license to use her pushcart.
From Kansan wires.
Spv swap frees Soviet activist
The Associated Press
TEL AVIV, Israel — Anatoly Shcharansky, the Soviet human rights activist imprisoned for nine years as a spy, was flown to a tumultous, emotional welcome in Israel yesterday after he was freed on a snowy Berlin bridge.
The 38-year-old Jewish dissident had become known as the "prisoner of Zion," a focus for international Jewry and a symbol of Jews who are not allowed to leave the Soviet Union.
Also included in the East-West prisoner exchange on Berlin's Glienicke Bridge were five people held in the West on spy charges and three held in the East.
A U.S. official in Berlin identified the other prisoners freed from the East as Wolf George Frohn of East
Germany, Jaroslav Jaworski of Czechoslovakia and Dietrich Nistroy, a West German, all held in East Germany.
He said those sent East were Jerzy Kaczmarek of Poland, Yevgeni Semliakov of the Soviet Union, Detlev Schafenort of East Germany and Karl F. Koecher and his wife, Hana, of Czechoslovakia. The Koechers were held in the United States and the others in West Germany.
Shcharansky was freed first, apart from the others, to emphasize the U.S. insistence that he was not a spy. He was arrested in 1977 and a Soviet court convicted him of spying for the CIA, sentencing him in 1978 to 13 years imprisonment.
Prime Minister Shimon Peres and Foreign Minister Yelzhak Shamir
embraced Shcharanas as he and his wife Avital, who met him in Frankfurt, stepped from the Israeli executive jet at Ben-Gurion Airport. The ceremony was broadcast live on radio and television.
Shcharansky clasped his hands above his head in victory, then held hands with Avital as she introduced him to Cabinet members, helping him with his Hebrew. For more than a decade he has lived in Israel and campaigned for his freedom.
About 3,000 people gathered outside the terminal building cheered and waved as the Shcharanskys and Peres went inside to telephone President Reagan.
The 45-minute prisoner exchange was the latest of several on the Glienicke Bridge, a green metal structure across the Havel River between West Berlin and Potsdam in communist East Germany.
The snow had been cleared from a 4-inch-wide line in the middle of the bridge that marks the border between East and West. When he saw the line, Shcharansky said in English, "Look, no wall," and took a giant step over it.
He was met by Richard Burt, U.S. ambassador to West Germany. Shcharansky was not told he would be released until he arrived in East Berlin on Monday, U.S. and West German officials said.
He did not complain of health problems, U.S. officials said, although reports had indicated his health suffered during his time in prison and labor camp.
Philippine count of votes stopped
The Associated Press
MANILA, Philippines — The National Assembly yesterday began the long-awaited official canvass of votes in the presidential election but called it off for lack of a quorum before a single vote could be tabulated.
The unofficial count by the government's Commission on Elections showed President Ferdinand E. Marcos ahead with 5,899,873 votes, or 52 percent and his rival, Corazon Acaro Aquino, with 5,844,368, or 48 percent, with 33 percent of the precincts counted following Friday's presidential elections.
However, the count by the National Movement for Free Elections or Namfrel, an independent poll-monitoring group, had Aquino ahead with
6,933,889, or 52 percent against Marcos' 6,281,510,
or 48 percent, with votes in 64 percent of the
precincts counted. The country has 26 million registered voters.
The National Assembly's count is the only one that is legally binding.
The latest victim of election violence was former Gov. Evelyn Javier, chairman of Aquino's campaign in the central Philippine province of Antique, who was killed by unidentified men yesterday outside the Antique provincial capital building.
Aquino, 53, appeared before foreign correspondents and read a statement in which she repeated that she had beaten Marcos and would take power.
meet with Aquino to discuss "the legitimacy of Marcos' holding on to power."
In the assembly yesterday, the number of legislators dwindled to below that required for a quorum as opposition assemblymen slipped out to
"Let me appeal to all friends of democracy and supporters of freedom abroad," she added. "Do not make the mistake, in the name of shortsighted self-interest, of coming to the support of a failing dictator."
In a televised interview by a selected group of local reporters and correspondents of three U.S. television networks, Marcos said he had won and asked Aquino to "forget all this childish display of petulance just because our figures don't match."
Kansas flapjack racer falls to English flipper
United Press International
LIBERAL — Shilly Welch used her aerobics training to dash through Liberal's icy streets in a time of 66.4 seconds, but lost the annual Shrove Tuesday Pancake Race by 1.4 seconds to the English champion.
donnet a surgical mask in addition to the required housewives' garb of skirt, apron and headscarf to help her brave temperatures around 10 degrees.
Elizabeth Ann Bartlett, a 29-year-old mother of two, ran the 415-yard course in Oliney, England, in 65 seconds to win the 37th Trans-Atlantic race, which is based on a 440-year-old English leg.
Welch, 25, a nursing instructor at Seward County Community College.
Bartlett beat out 21 other contestants.
Race rules state that each runner must flip her flapjack once at the start of the sprint and again at the end.
In a trans-Atlantic telephone call after the race, race chairmen from both sides officially stated their winning times and designated Olney the winner once again.
U.S. maneuver planned to assert airspace rights
Fleet in the Mediterranean, but there was no immediate confirmation that they had begun. The operations were to end Friday.
United Press International
The operations marked the second time in less than a month that U.S. ships came within striking distance of the Libyan gulf. This time, Libya also plans to conduct flight exercises in the same area.
WASHINGTON - Planes from two U.S. aircraft carriers exercised in central Mediterranean skies yesterday and poised to resume maneuvers near Libya in a renewed effort to assert U.S. rights to international airspace, officials said.
The maneuvers in the Tripoli Flight Information Region, or FIR, could have begun as early as 6 p.m. last night according to a notice of intent filed by the U.S. 6th
Renewal of $ _{f} $ U.S. flight maneuvers by the carriers Saratoga and Coral Sea apparently is intended to maintain pressure on Libya.
HANOVER, N.H. — Eighteen Dartmouth College students were arrested yesterday for trying to block ground crews from removing an anti-apartheid shanty from the college green.
Seventeen of the students were released on personal recognition pending a court appearance on criminal trespass charges scheduled for Feb. 25. The student who allegedly harassed police was charged with simple assault and released.
Campus crews removed the shanty after the arrests.
Removal of shanty protested
Nine students were arrested inside the scrap-wood shack. Eight others were arrested when they formed a human chain around the structure as a forklift and flatbed truck approached to cart it away, said college spokeswoman Laura Dcovitsky. Another student who began yelling at police was also arrested.
Five shanties were erected on the college green in November to protest Dartmouth's $63 million investment in companies doing business with South Africa.
Conservative students wielding sledgehammers destroyed three of the shanties Jan. 21, leading to a 30-hour sit-in at the office of college president David McLaughlin. He canceled classes on Jan. 24 to hold a campus forum on racism.
"We want to know what the hell is going on," said Will Horter, a spokesman for the protesters. "The point is the college said they supported them (the shanties). Now they're taking them down."
Dartmouth spokesman Alex Huppe said the college removed the shanties at his school.
"The town has sent us a letter yesterday giving us seven days' notice to correct the violations of the Hanover zoning ordinance. We are responding to that," said Huppe.
The Dartmouth Community for Divestment, which built the shanties, accused the administration of contacting town officials to press for removal of the shanties. Huppe denied the charge.
United Press International
Town officials said they had expressed their concern about the shacks to college officials last week, and told the college to remove the shanties within seven days.
The TAB and the word *Levi*200210 are registered trademarks of Levi Strauss & Co., San Francisco, CA
IT'S VALENTINE'S DAY AT HOUSE OF HUPEI!
What an idea! The wonderful friends at House of Hupei have teamed up to make this the tastiest Valentine's Day ever! Not only do you get the finest authentic Chinese food around for a great low price, but they are offering GIFT CERTIFICATES...what an exciting gift for your sweetheart! But don't stop yet, to top off your romantic evening, it's flowers for all the ladies! We'll see you on Valentine's Day at House of Hupei!
Open daily:
Lunch
11:30-2:30p.m.
Dinner
4:30-9:30p.m.
Frl. & Sat.
10:30p.m.
Sunday Buffet 12-3 p.m.
Carryout ready in 15 minutes or less
House of HuPEI
2907 W. 6th next to Econo Lodge 843-8070
1
2