2 University Daily Kansan Nation/World Monday, Feb. 10, 1986 News Briefs Mandela's release predicted by wife JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — The wife of jailed black nationalist Nelson Mandela said yesterday that the government apparently wanted to release her husband, but had not told her he would definitely be freed. After visiting her husband yesterday in the maximum-security Pollsmoor prison in Cape Town, Mandela said she had not been contacted by the government but predicted that her husband would be released within a few months. Mrs. Klinghoffer dies NEW YORK - Marilyn Kinghoffer, the wife of the disabled American tourist who was shot and thrown off the Achille Lauro cruiser line by terrorists last fall, died of cancer yesterday at age 88. A spokeswoman for the family said Klinghoffer had been undergoing chemotherapy since the fall of 1984. Klinghoffer's husband, Leon, 69, a retired manufacturer who had suffered a stroke, was killed by Palestinian hijackers Oct. 7 and his body was thrown into the Mediterranean Sea. Hormel set to reopen AUSTIN, Minn. — Striking meatpackers called a strategy meeting yesterday to plan protests for today's opening of Hormel & Co.'s slaughter section. The plant has been closed since a bitter walkout began nearly six months ago. For slaughtering to begin, farmers must be allowed to enter the plant with their pigs — something union members may try to prevent, officials said. Charles Nyberg, Hormel vice president, said about 500 former union members have crossed the picket line and the company has the 1,025 workers needed to resume hog slaughter. From Kansan wires. NASA group wants booster records Unifed Press International CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - The commission investigating the Challenger disaster yesterday asked to see all records involving shuttle solid rocket boosters amid charges that NASA knew of possibly catastrophic problems with the rockets before the fatal launch. While Navy divers scoured the ocean floor for submerged shuttle wreckage with little known success, the national Aeronautics and Space Administration refused to comment on a report citing a history of problems with the shuttle boosters and prior warnings about possible failures. the challenger tragedy has been conducted under a thick cloud of secrecy. But officials privately acknowledged awareness of problems with seals between booster rocket fuel segments on many past flights. NASA's internal investigation into William P. Rogers, former Secretary of State and chairman of the president's commission on the disaster, asked NASA yesterday to produce all internal documents and reports of investigations dealing with problems relating to seals on the booster rockets. A spokesman said the commission will examine the data in executive session today and hold a public meeting tomorrow at a location yet to be determined. NASA issued a statement late yesterday that said the agency was assembling all internal documents and reports pertaining to investigations of seals on the booster rockets and that a NASA spokesman would be on hand to answer questions after tomorrow's commission meeting. The Challenger disaster appears to have been triggered by a rupture at or near a seal joining the lower two of the shark's back, boosters, rockets in the shark's right-side booster, rocks. The escaping flame apparently heated Challenger's giant external fuel tank enough to raise internal pressure to the rupture point, setting off a titanic explosion that blew the shuttle apart and killed its seven-member crew. The New York Times reported yesterday that agency documents showed top shuttle managers knew of potentially dangerous problems with seals around shuttle booster rocket fuel segments last year and that internal memos were circulated as late as December listing concerns about possible failures. During assembly, or stacking, of the boosters at the Kennedy Space Center, the lower rim of the upper fuel casing is lowered into a groove that runs around the top of the section underneath. The two are joined by 177 steel pins. Two synthetic rubber O-rings that run around the interior of the joint form a primary and secondary seal 2 bodies recovered in Canada train crash The Associated Press HINTON, Alberta — The first two bodies were recovered yesterday from the smoking rubble of a head-on train collision in which 29 people were presumed dead. Tractors, earth-movers and railroad cranes pulled apart mangled locomotives and cars from a west-bound, 114-car Canadian National freight train and an eastbound, nine-car Via Rail passenger train that collided Saturday morning. Officials said the freight train was on the wrong track. Each train was being pulled or pushed by three engines at a pretty fair rate of speed, said Alex Rennie, manager of public affairs of Canadian National's Edmonton office. They collided on a stretch of single track about 10 miles east of Hinton. In all, 122 people were thought to have been aboard the two trains. "There are five engines piled up there. They have burned. Most of the bodies are beneath that rubble," said Derrick Pounder, deputy chief medical examiner for northern Alberta, speaking to reporters at the crash site. He said it could take a week to recover all the bodies. Three people were hospitalized in Edmonton, Alberta's provincial capital about 175 miles east of the crash scene, and three others were treated for minor injuries at the hospital in Hinton and released yesterday morning. Pounder said all the others who were injured were well or were "walking wounded." More than 24 hours after the collision, white smoke still flowed from the wreckage where Rennie said an open car carrying dry sulphur had overturned. Ruined rail cars were strewn along the tracks running through a forest in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies. The accident occurred near Jasper National Park. The first two bodies recovered, those of a locomotive engineer and a passenger, were both from the passenger train. Pounder said a composite list based on checks with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Via Rail and Canadian National indicated 122 people were on the trains. Searchers comb sea, coast after huge wave tips boat United Press International BODEGA BAY, Calif. — The Coast Guard searched yesterday for four people missing from a chartered fishing boat hit by a freak wave that pitched 17 people into the sea. Five bodies have already been recovered. A Coast Guard helicopter, two patrol boats, the 92-foot cutter Point Chino and a shore crew were searching Bodega Bay and the shoreline around Bodega Rock for the missing people. The 65-foot Merry Jane pitched to the side when it was struck by a huge wave late Friday afternoon. three crewmen and 48 passengers and was returning to port at 4 p.m. when it was struck from behind by a sudden wave about 10 to 16 feet high. The boat was about a quarter mile off shore. "We're still searching. We've got daters and coroners on the scene," she said. Rich Tiesto, the boat's owner and operator, said the Merry Jane left Bodega Bay at 7 a.m. Saturday with "The boat pitched to the side, tossing 17 people overboard," Tiesso said. "We had a flat, calm ocean with a fairly large swell — nothing unusual. It could have been a sneaker wave." A Coast Guard statement said the Sonoma County Sheriff's office had reported that five of the people recovered died but that identities had not been established. Hospital officials in Santa Rosa and Petaluma said yesterday that five of 22 people taken to four local hospitals remained hospitalized in stable condition. Pope advises self-control, not birth control, in India United Press International BOMBAY, India — Pope John Paul II, taking his crusade against contraceptives to one of the world's most overpopulated countries, said yesterday that discipline and self-control were the only acceptable means of birth control. The pope spoke to a crowd of about 200,000 in a park in the heart of Bombay. To support the Roman Catholic Church's opposition to artificial means of birth control, he quoted Indian independence leader Mohandas "Mahatma" Gandhi: but by a life of discipline and self-control. Moral results can only be produced by moral restraints." "This, dear brothers and sisters, is the church's profound conviction," said the pope, who waited until the next-to-iasst day of his 10-day visit to discuss birth control. "How is the suspension of procreation to be brought about? Not by immoral and artificial checks, The Indian government sponsors a birth control program because of fears that continuing overpopulation will hinder the development of the nation and its 684 million people. The speech was unusually restrained for the pope, who has vigorously defended the church ban on artificial birth control. The crowd in Shivaji Park listen quietly and politely to the pope. Departure of leader calms city From Kansan wires PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — After two nights of wild rejoicing and mob retaliation against the hated secret police of the ousted Duvalier regime, life began returning to normal yesterday in this slum-ridden city of 1 million people. Jean-Claude Duvalier became Haiti's President-for-Life in 1971 at age 19 on the death of his father, Francis "Papa Doca" Duvalier. He fled to France on Friday on a U.S. Air Force plane with about 25 family members, guards and associates, after the United States and Jamaica convinced him to step down in the face of mounting violence. Trashed, burned-out shells of businesses that were associated with the 28 years of Duvalier family rule bore silent violent to a celebration that turned violent, killing at least. 100 people and causing great damage. A military civilian council assumed interim control. 45 82 71 Duvalier's departure sparked riots and revenge killings against the Tonto Mautes, the Duvalier dynasty's dreaded private militia. Reporters said Macoutes were beaten and hacked to death with machetes Friday and Saturday. France granted Duvalier and his party temporary refuge while it searched for a country willing to offer them permanent asylum. Several already have refused. The French are expected to approach some of the 25 French-speaking African nations. Meanwhile, residents of the tiny French Alps town of Talliores circulated petitions yesterday calling for Duvalier's eviction from their town. The provisional military-civilian council Saturday announced Haiti's new Cabinet. The Cabinet is expected to issue its first communique today, including a date to reopen schools closed Jan. 8 because of national unrest in this impoverished Caribbean island nation of 6 million people. The national government radio yesterday announced that a member of the new Cabinet, Minister of Justice Gerard Gourge, formerly president of the Haitian Human Rights Commission, had obtained the release of 26 political prisoners. CVR-15-2 Disc Twin Pk. ...$4.29 KR135-36 Kodachrome 64 Slide Film...$4.69 KM135-20 Kodachrome 25 Slide Film...$3.29 CI110-12 200 ASA Color Print Film...$1.89 CL135-36 200 ASA Color Print Film...$3.59 Suave SHAMPOO and CONDITIONER 16oz. 99¢ Palmolive BATH SOAP 4 bar pk $1.59 12pk 12oz. cans$2.99 Coke, Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Caffeine Free Coke, Diet Caffeine Free Coke, Sprite - 54 function scientific calculator designed specifically for today's high school math students. * Perform Roots, Powers, Reciprocals. Common and natural logarithms. * A "systems" approach to math and science problem-solving. * Trigonometric functions include sine, cosine and tangent—and their inverses. * Special functions such as p, factorial and automatic constant help you calculate faster. * Build-in statistical capabilities let you compute mean and standard deviation for both sample and population data. * Its ADS™ algebraic system makes it easy. Just enter formulas as they are written, left-to-right. * 8-digit liquid crystal displays decimal point and negative sign. 5-digit mantissa and 2-digit exponent in scientific notation. Indicates error and angular modes. * T1-35 is in its own vinyl carriage. 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Daily 10 a.m.-6 p.m.Sunday 25th and Iowa-Lawrence ON THE BUS ROUTE Prices Good Through Sat., Feb. 15th Spring Break in Daytona with Echo Travel Meet Us Every Wednesday! 3-6 p.m. at the Wheel - 8 Days of Sun...(others?) - Beachfront accommodations provided by Carnival Inn... ...(others?) Driving Package $129 Without Transportation (¢16.13 per day) Full Package With Transportation $209 ($26.13 per day) - Based on 4-5 per room... not 6 For more info call: Bill or Jim 841-3856 842-8731