2 University Daily Kansan Nation/World News Briefs Boy dies after attack by nine wild dogs DALLAS — A 6-year-old Texas boy, who was bitten 100 times by a pack of frenzied dogs, died yesterday at a Dallas hospital. Stephen Mark Flengo Jr. probably died of infection from the bites, said Mary Layman, a Parkland Memorial Hospital spokesman. He had been in critical condition since the Jan. 22 incident in which nine wild dogs authorities described as crossbreed pit bullterriers attacked him near a pond. He received 187 pints of blood and underwent surgery several times because of hemorrhaging and complications, hospital spokesman said. Manson gets hearing LOS ANGELES — Charles Manson, 51, this week faces his first parole hearing in three years for the 1969 Tate-LaBianca cult murders. Manson and four of his followers were convicted of the slayings and sentenced to death in 1971. In 1972, the California Supreme Court overturned the state's deathpenalty law and commuted their sentences to life in prison. Monday, Feb. 3 1986 Manson has been refused parole at least five times, most recently in 1982. Officials expect the same outcome Tuesday in the parole hearing at San Quentin Prison. Rivals seek support The two men are considered rivals for the support of the religious right in the race for the Republican presidential nomination. Neither has declared a candidacy. WASHINGTON — Television evangelist M. G. "Pat" Robertson and Vice President George Bush this week will address the National Religious Broadcasters — an influential conservative group. Robertson last week told a meeting of the Conservative Political Action Committee that he was not yet sure whether he would run. From Kansan wires 55 Haitians killed in two-day protest United Press International PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Security forces have killed at least 55 people in two days of protests against President-for-life Jean-Claude Duvalier, doctors said yesterday, contradicting government reports that only 16 had died. Although the capital appeared calm yesterday, a government spokesman described conditions in the impoverished Caribbean nation as confused and uncertain. Doctors at Port-au-Prince General Hospital, defying government orders to remain silent, said the bodies of at least 55 people killed by security forces had been brought to the hospital since rioting erupted in the capital Friday following rumors Duvalier had been deposed and fled the country. One doctor, who asked not to be named, said at least 48 people were killed in the unrest Friday and Saturday, and seven people died yesterday. "We have orders not to talk to journalists" the doctor said. "But I'm telling you this because people should know it." "There must be many more. This is just the number that have passed through the hospital," the doctor said. The report by the hospital sources could not be independently confirmed, and a government spokesman refused to comment on the higher figures, saying that he knew only of the deaths already reported. Officials at the government-run General Hospital previously had said that only 16 people had been killed by security forces — eight in the capital, four more in Leagane, about 50 miles south of Port-au-Prince, and four in St. Marc. Open air markets in the capital were crowded yesterday morning with colorfully dressed Haitian women selling fruits, clothes and other goods, but most stores in the city's center were tightly boarded, and patrols of police, soldiers and militias kept watch on the city. There was no report on conditions outside Port-au-Prince, where looting and anti-government protests have erupted every day since security forces killed three people Jan. 26. The government declared a state of siege Friday. Mayer said the request that foreign journalists stay in the capital was not an order, just a recommendation. Information Ministry spokesman Guy Mayer said journalists and other foreigners were being asked not to travel outside of Port-au-Prince for security reasons. There are about 200 foreign journalists in the capital, where tourism has virtually been brought to a halt in recent years by reports that the disease Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome entered the United States from Haiti. Philippine faction denounces election United Press International MANILA, Philippines — An estimated 6,000 leftists marched to the presidential palace yesterday, burned effigies of Ferdinand Marcos and President Reagan and denounced Friday's presidential election as a sham. Opposition candidate Corazon Aquino, calling Marcos a coward, led a motorcade through Batangas Province, south of Manila, and voiced her fears of fraud in the election. Marcos supporters crisscrossed Manila in a mammoth motorcade. The march on Marcos' Malacanang Palace was organized by Bayan — a national alliance of leftist groups boycotting the election because its members believe neither candidate represents the Filipino people. The placard-waving, leftist demonstrators marched through central Manila until they were stopped short of the palace by coils of barbed wire. Behind the wire, 200 police and marines brandished automatic weapons and riot shields. Just short of the wire barricade, several masked demonstrators set fire to effigies of Marcos and Reagan. Youths with sticks smashed the severed head of the Marcos effuiy. "The dictatorship can only be toppled, not by sham elections, but in direct confrontation by the oppressed masses with the dictatorship," said Father Joe Dizon, a Roman Catholic priest and Bayan leader. Bayan claims to represent 1.5 million people and has been denounced by Marcos as a communist front. It favors the dismantling of U.S. military bases in the Philippines. Nearby, several thousand people in cars, buses, and jeeps festooned with Marcos banners took part in a noisy motorcade through the capital. Meatpackers refuse to vote; Guard protection considered "We're sure winners," said Aquino, widow of opposition leader and Marcos archrival Benigno Aquino, who was assassinated in 1983. "We just pray for a clean election." The Marcos motorcade was rivaled by a similar daylong Aquino caravan in Batangas Province. The Associated Press AUSTIN, Minn. — Striking Hormel meatpackers rejected pleas that they vote a third time on a proposed settlement with the company, and Gov. Rudy Perpich considered yesterday whether to return National Guardmen to the plant to protect people crossing picket lines. third time on a federal mediator's proposal. Paul Goldberg, director of the state Bureau of Mediation Services, said, "I don't know at what point you lose a labor dispute. I would certainly not be encouraged if I were a P-9 member." About 1,500 Hormel workers have been on strike since Aug. 17. Members of Local P-9 of the United Food and Commercial Workers union, on strike against Geo. A. Hormel & Co. for 5½ months, rejected a plea from Peripch and decided Saturday night against voting a P-9 President Jim Guyette said after the vote by about 900 union members, "It wasn't questioned by anyone, nor was it even close. We weighed the pros and cons. The pros, if there were any, were that the strike would be over. Personally, I didn't have any pros. Mine were all cons." Perpich was expected to decide whether National Guard troops, stationed in Austin since Jan. 21 but moved to an armory last week, would return to the plant when it opened today, press aide Gerry Nelson said. Union members met Saturday to discuss a report by neutral factfinder Arnold Zack. Pro-choice groups to back rebellious Catholic clergy WASHINGTON — Defenders of a group of Roman Catholic nuns and priests who are under fire from the Vatican for signing a 1984 abortion-related ad, said yesterday they would publish a new statement next month declaring solidarity with the nuns. United Press International "It was a difficult decision for the committee but we are deeply concerned by the growing repression of dissent in the church," said Frances Kissling, executive director of Catholics for a Free Choice. Kissling is on a seven-member steering panel of the Committee of Concerned Catholics, formed by signers of the original advertisement and others after the Vatican ordered 28 priests and nuns to retract their participation. That statement, signed by 97 prominent Catholics, argued, "A diversity of opinion regarding abortion exists among committed Catholics" and, "A large number of Catholic theologians hold that even direct abortion, though tragic, can sometimes be a moral choice." The ad, published in the New York Times, came less than a month before the presidential election. Geralda Ferraro, the Democratic vice president candidate, is Catholic and was attacked by conservatives for saying that while she personally was against abortion, she was, as a member of Congress, in favor. ATHENS, Greece — The head of the American-Arab Relations Committee defied President Reagan's order banning Americans from traveling to Libya and went to the north African nation yesterday for a lecture tour. Mohammed Medhi, president of the New York-based committee, flew to Libya from Athens yesterday and said the few Americans remaining there in defiance of Reagan's order were preparing a U.S.'s court appeal* United Press International "Americans here share my view that the president's order is unconstitutional and we will plan a strategy for their fight in court," he said in a telephone interview from Tripoli, the Libyan capital. "They are preparing an appeal to both President Reagan and Libyan leader, Col. Moammar Khadafy, to find a way to settle their differences," he said. "We think there is the rule of law in the United States." Medhi, a 58-year-old Iraqi-born American, traveled to Libya for a week of lectures and to make contacts with Americans and Libyan government officials. Medhi is a political scientist and taught at the University of California, Berkeley. "I am the first American to go there and President Reagan's order could not restrain me because it is unconstitutional," Medhi said before leaving Athens for Libya. Lecturer disobeys Libva ban Reagan severed commercial links, with Libya last month, froze Libyan government assets in the United States and ordered Americans in Libya to leave by Feb. 1 or face stiff fines and tail terms. Reagan said he ordered the punitive sanctions because of irrefutable evidence linking Libya to the Palestinian terror attacks at airports in Rome and Vienna. Dec. 27 which left 20 people dead, including five Americans. Authorities investigating the virtually simultaneous attacks suspect they were carried out by the Palestinian terror faction Abu Nidal. Western diplomatic sources in Libya said most of the estimated 1,500 Americans in Libya had left but that a few remained. Most Americans in Libya worked in the north African nation's crucial oil industry. PYRAMID PIZZA'S MONDAY PYRAMID PIZZA We Pile It On! GLADNESS Last week to sign up Call Brad for details at 842-3232 Remember: SLICE-O-LIFE Ski Trip Pyramid has been collecting names all semester for our fabulous ski trip. The winner will be announced in Tuesday's paper. THE 5 FINALISTS ARE: Chandler Hudson Howie Beauchamp Ann Kelly Jill John Selina Jackson Monday Gladness Special Special good every Monday 16" large two-topping pizza PLUS 2 Free Cokes Only $9.95 842-3232 exp. 6/1/86 Monday Gladness Special Special good every Monday 12" two-topping pizza Only $7.50 842-3232 exp. 6/1/86 You never forget the first time... and neither do they. Impressions, Inc. February 8th & 9th Master's Inn Registration 8:30 a.m. Sat. 8th For more info call (417) 887-0942 Employers never give you a second chance interview UNLESS you make a DYNAMIC IMPRESSION FIRST! What will they ask? What will you say? What will they think? We will answer these questions and more Call today!