University Daily Kansan / Thursday, April 30, 1987 Sports 13 Ace! Recruit is one of best in country, coach says By ROB KNAPP Staff writer One of the top young tennis players in the country is coming to KU, Kansas men's and women's tennis coach Scott Perelman announced yesterday. John Falbo John Falbo, the 1985-86 United States Tennis Association's 16-and-under champion in both singles and doubles, has signed a national letter of intent to play for the Jawhaws, Perelman said. Falbo, ranked among the top five players in the world in his age group that year, is the highest-ranked tennis player ever recruited by Kansas. In the 1986-87 Orange Bowl World Championship reached the semifinals in doubles and the quarterfinals in singles. "On paper, he's the finest tennis player Kansas has ever recruited." Perelman said. "But more than that, he's an outstanding individual. He is the kind of leader that can help us maintain our status as a national tennis power." The Kansas men's team won its first Big Eight Conference tennis championship in 22 years over the weekend in Oklahoma City and will now advance to the NCAA championships. But the Jayhawks lose three seniors next year, including starters Kevin Brady and team captain Mike Wolf. Falbo is a native of Charleston, W.Va., and currently attends the Palmer Tennis Academy in Wesley Chapel, Fla. He chose Kansas over traditional tennis powers Southern California, Clemson, Stanford and Texas Christian. KUAC says opening may be filled soon By a Kansan reporter The Kansas University Athletic Corporation is working with the greatest possible speed to find a replacement for current Athletic Director Monte Johnson, said Redwood, KUAC board chairman Redwood said the board had received 35 to 40 applications for Johnson's position before Monday's deadline. The athletic director search committee plans to interview five or six top candidates before the end of next week. Redwood said. From those people, the committee will recommend a candidate to Chancellor Gene A. Budig. Redwood had said earlier that the committee planned to have the new athletic director named by the middle of Mav Redwood did not want to comment on any of the candidates the committee is considering for the position. He was concerned that publicity about potential candidates might affect their present jobs. The Athletic Department also has closed applications for the position of athletic director. Gary Hunter, associate athletic director, has received nearly 100 applications. Hunter had said earlier that the search committee for the baseball position would review the applicants and narrow the field to the final three to five. The committee will then interview those candidates the first week of May and announce the new coach by May 10. Dwight Gooden leaves rehabilitation center NEW YORK - New York Mets pitcher Dwight Gooden left a drug rehabilitation center yesterday, ending his 28-day treatment for cocaine use. The Associated Press Gooden walked briskly out of the Smithers Alcoholism and Treatment Center yesterday afternoon. He entered a waiting car, and was driven away. The 1985 National League Cy Young Award winner was surrounded by a crowd of about 50 people outside the center, but did not speak. However, he did wave to a group of people gathered in a second-floor window of the center Gooden, 22, entered the center April 2 after testing positive for cocaine. He is expected to resume pitching in the major leagues by June 1 after a training program that will include private workouts at Shea Stadium and a couple of starts at Class AAA Tidewater, Ore., of the International League. Baseball Commissioner Peter Ueberroth must give permission before Gooden may return to the major leagues. Ueberroth had threatened to suspend the pitcher unless he sought treatment for his drug problem. KC beats Orioles on throwing error The Associated Press KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Willie Wilson said the Kansas City Royals were lucky to beat Baltimore 5-4 last night, and Orioles Manager Cal Ripken Sr. agreed. "We probably shouldn't have won this game the way we played — the way I played," said Wilson, who tripled home the tying run with two outs in the ninth inning and scored the winner with the help of Floyd Rayford's throwing error. "We were lucky." Ched DeShazo/KANSAN "I don't mean to take anything away from the other team, but the Kansas City ballclub did not beat us," Ripken said. "We beat ourseleves, and that's why I'm angry." The Orioles, with Cal Ripken Jr. hitting a leadoff triple, scored twice in the top of the ninth to take a 43 lead. Then, with one out in the Royals half of the ninth, Thad Bosley singled off Dave Schmidt, 2-1, and Juan Rivera, 3-0. But Bosley's baserunning blunder got him thrown at third. KANSAS CITY, MO. — Alan Wiggins, Baltimore designated hitter, slides under Angel Salazar and advances safe to second base. Salazar, Kansas City shortstop, went one for three during the Royals 5-4 win over the Orioles last night at Royals Stadium. Wilson then tripled into right field but Beniquez held up momentarily at third and was barely safe with the tying run. Rookie Kevin Seitzer hit a routine grounder to third baseman Rayford, who bounced a throw to first base that Eddie Murray could not scoop up. "I made two mental mistakes in the ninth," Wilson said. "I should have gotten over to help on Ripken his triple and I should have caught the single that Terry Kennedy hit to give them the go-ahead run." "It was pretty, but we'll take it." Royals Manage Bill Gardner said. The loser was Dave Schmidt, 21, and Dan Quisenberry, 1- got the bomb. Cal Ripken Jr., who homered and doubled earlier, tripped to ignite a two-run Baltimore rally in the ninth. Murray singled home Ripken with the tying run, bringing Quisberry from the bulpen in relief of Bud Black. Nelson Simmons moved Murray to third with a single and Terry Kennedy's two-out single brought him in with Baltimore's four-run. Royals starter Charlie Leibrandt surrendered a towering two-run homer to Ripken in the first inning and allowed nine hits and three walks through six as the Orioles stranded 10 runners. Leibrandt walked Alan Wiggers to lead off the game. One out later, Ripken drove his sixth home run deep into the left-field bleachers. The Royals picked up a run in the bottom of the first after Wilson walked, took second on Seitzer's single and went to third on Frank White's fly ball. Hal McRae, making only his second start of the year, lined to Rick Burleson but the second baseman three wildly to first trying for a double play and Wilson scored. Wilson reached on a fielder's choice in the third and stole second ahead of Seitzer's league-leading fifth triple. White, hitting, 197, then lashed a double into right-center field. The Orioles failed to score in the Simmons followed with a single, and went to third when Fred Lynn, who also had two singles, doubled into right. But Kennedy hit a soft pop fly over the mound and Angel Salazar threw him out at first as the runners held. Rayford then grounded out. third despite two doubles and a single. Murray led off with a shot that bounced high off the left field wall, but Bo Jackson ran the ball down and threw Murray out at third. Rangers win sixth straight, beat Yanks The Associated Press ARLINGTON, Texas – Pinch hitter Geno Petrelli looped a two-out, two-strike single into right field last night and scored Don Slaughter from third base, giving the Texas Rangers a come-from-behind 8-7 victory over the New York Yankees. Petralli delivered his clutch hit off Yankees reliever Cecilio Guante as the Rangers won their sixth consecutive game, the longest current streak in the big leagues. American League Guante's record dropped to 1-4, while Mitch Williams 2-1, picked up one. Slaught sarted the Rangers' rally with a two-out double down the left field line. Steve Buechele beat out an infield single to set up Petruali's game-winning hit that gave the Rangers a sweep of the two-game series with the Yankees. There was a 34 minute delay before the start of the third inning because of a linebacker. Indians 6, White Sox 5 CLEVELAND — Doug Frobel, called up from Class AAA Buffalo the day before, sent the first pitch in the bottom of the ninth inning over the fence in right-center, giving the Cleveland Indians a 6-5 victory over the Chicago White Sox yesterday. The 27-year-old Frobel was pinch hitting for rookie Dave Gallagher when he drove the 400 foot home run in a game, 1-2, the White Sox third pitcher. Rich Yett, 1-0. Cleveland's fourth pitcher, got the win in relief, throwing 1 $ \frac{3}{4} $ hitless innings. Cleveland trailed 5-3 after Chicago scored three runs on just one hit against four Indians pitchers in the top of the eighth. But the Indians tied it in the bottom of the inning on an RBI groundout by Cory Snyder and Pat Tabler's run-scoring single to left. Blue Jays 8. Twins 1 TORONTO — Lloyd Moseby and Ernie Whitt hit home runs and propelled the Toronto Blue Jays to an 8-14 loss before the Minnesota Twins last night. Joe Johnson, 1:2, allowed only three hits and killed three in 7% of games. relied The victory was Toronto's third straight, its longest win streak of the year. Right hander Mike Smithson, who entered the game with only two wins in eight career decisions against the Blue Jays, suffered his first loss of the season against three wins. Red Sox 11, Mariners 5 SEATTLE — Seldom-used Mike Greenwell had three hits, including his first home run of the year, and drove in four runs, pacing a 13-hit attack as the Boston Red Sox beat the Seattle Mariners 11-5 last night and snapped a five-game losing streak. Greenwell entered the game with just one hit in 11 at-bats this year. He was playing left field for Jim Rice, who had the day off. Don Baylor and Dwight Evans also homered for the Red Sox and right-hander Al Nipper raised his record to 267-149. But the Mariners, going just one inning, The Red Sox collected 12 hits by the third inning, with every starter gettin' it. Tigers 2. Angels 1 AHAHEIM, Calif. — Darrnell Coles annaled to drive in the tie-breaking run in the 10th inning and give the Detroit Tigers a 2-1 victory over the California Angels last night. Darrell Evans began the inning by walking against reliever Donnie Moore, 1-1. Pinch runner Terry Harper was forced at second on Larry Herndon's bunt, but Matt Nokes singled and Coles followed with his double into the left field corner. It was Coles second hit in his last 33 at bats. Eric King, 2-1, blanked the Angels over the last three inning for the victory. Nokes homered off Angels starter Don Sutton and gave Dan Petry a lead he couldn't hold. California tied it in the eighth. Mark McLemore walked, Brian Downing was hit by a pitch and White singled in the run off King. Sutton and Petry, two struggling veterans going into the game, staged a masterful pitched duel. Sutton faced only three batters over the minimum through the first seven innings, holding the Tigers to four singles. Petry had a one-hitter through five. Her workout out of jams in both the sixth and seventh innings. Cards' 5-run 8th-inning rally leaves Padres gasping 10-6 The Associated Press ST. LOUIS — Curt Ford's single snapped a tie in the bottom of the eighth inning last night and Vince Coleman followed with a two-run single as the ST. Louis Cardinals rallied for five runs and a 10-6 victory over the San Diego Padres. St. Louis, trailing 6-5, pounded relievers Lance McCullers, 22, and Dave Drawecky. The rally featured Jack Clark's leadoff triple and Willie McGee's RBI double that tied the score 6-1. It was St. Louis' fifth come-from-behind victory in 19 games this year. Rookie Rod Booker drew a one-out intentional walk before Ford's goahead hit. Dravecky came in and walked pinch hitter Tito Landrum before Coleman's two-run single. Terry Pendleton capped the inning with a run-scoring single. Pat Perry, 1-0, pitched a scoreless ninth inning and was credited with the victory although Todd Worrell was the pitcher of record when St. Louis took the lead for good. CINCINNATI Ken Griffey and Rafael Ramirez hit consecutive two- home runs hit Bill Glickinson in Braves 5. Reds 2 National League the third inning last night and led the Atlanta Braves to a 5-2 victory over the Cincinnati Reds. Atlanta's Zane Smith, 2-1, allowed five hits in eight innings plus for his first career victory over Cincinnati. Smith, who had retired 14 consecutive batters, was relieved by Gene Garber after the Reds opened the bottom of the ninth with a single and a walk. Garber earned his second save. PHILADELPHA — Shane Rawley became the first Philadelphia pitcher to throw a complete game this season, limiting Montreal to six hits as the Phillies beat the Expos 5-0 last night. Phillies 5. Expos 0 The Phillies took a 1-0 lead off Bob Sebra, 1-3, in the second inning when Glenn Wilson led off with his third home run of the season. They added a run in the third when Juan Samuel doubled and scored on a single by Mike Schmidt. Rawley, 1-1, who missed the last two months of the 1968 season with a broken bone in his left shoulder, struck out four and walked four. Dodgers 10, Pirates 2 PITTSEBURGH — Bob Welch held Pittsburgh to one hit in seven innings and ran his pitching streak to 27 innings without an earned run as the 15th baseman pitched by Pedro Guerrero's three-run night, beat the Pirates 10-2 last night. Guerrero, who scored three times, tripled and started the Dodgers' two-run second-inning rally. He later scored on Mickey Hatcher's double. Mike Sioscia followed with an RBI single off Bob Patterson, 1-3, to make it 2-0. Welch, 3-1, struck out eight and allowed only R.J. Reynolds' two-out double in the second inning. Mets 2. Astros 1 NEW YORK — Keith Hernandez continued his career success against Mike Scott with a home run and an RBI single, and Sid Fernandez pitched seven scoreless innings, leading the New York Mets past the Houston Astros 2-1 last night. Hernandez, with a .383 lifetime average against Scott, connected for his sixth career homer against the Houston right-hander. No other batter has more than three home runs against Scott. Steelers select Kansas center in the 11th round of NFL draft By DIANE FILIPOWSKI Staff writer Kansas center Paul Oswald had to wait until the 11th round of the NFL draft Tuesday night before he knew that he had been drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers. "I expected to get drafted." Oswald said yesterday, "but the fact that I went so late disappoints me a little." Oswald, who is 6-foot-4, 27 pounds and from Hayden High in Topeka, started every game last season for the Jayhawks. He missed five games in 1985 because of a knee injury. Paul Oswald Oswald said he went to Pittsburgh two weeks ago for a practice session and for a meeting with coaches. "I left with a good feeling because I thought my workouts had gone well." Oswald said. "They also told me they were going to work me into their plans and draft me." child, a former Jayhawk drafted by the New England Patriots in 1984, had told him not to. Oswald said he spent Tuesday afternoon playing basketball with friends and relaxing. He said he didn't go home until about 7:30 p.m. because his friend, Paul Fair- "I was okay until the 6th, 7th and 8th rounds had passed," Oswald said. "Then I needed my roommate (Pete Popovich) and his fiance to help me out." Oswald said he received a phone call that evening from his agent, who told him that the Redskins and the Steelers wanted to draft him. But the waiting wasn't over until the final call came at 11 p.m. from Pittsburgh. "I feel fortunate because a lot of people wish that they could play Big Eight ball and they never get the chance to." Oswald said. "I feel as if I am in the next group that got drafted to make an NFL team. I'll just make adjustments like I have had at every level." Coach Bob Valesente said he was disappointed that more KU players were not drafted, but that this was a great day for Oswald. "Paul has a challenge in front of him now." Valesante said. "I'm sure he will be given every opportunity to make the team." Valesente said he thought Oswald had been drafted by the Steelers had of his vexibility "Paul can play center or guard," Valesca said. "With a pro team's limited roster, they have more ability to play several positions." Oswald, who will graduate with a degree in personnel administration, said he was going to concentrate on football and making the team. He said he was going to visit Pittsburgh coaches tomorrow and Saturday and would return in the summer for a minicamp. 1