University Daily Kansan / Tuesday, April 21, 1987 Sports 11 Saberhagen wins 3rd game in a row; KC romps Boston The Associated Press BOSTON — Bret Sahbern won his third consecutive game for the first time since 1985 as the Kansas City Royals routed the Boston Red Sox 10-2 yesterday, spoiling Fenway Park's 75th birthday party before an overflow crowd of 35,486. "Saberhagen looks like the same tough pitcher he was two years ago." Boston Manager John McNamara said of the 1985 CY Young Award winner. "We had chances to get to him early, but then he got tougher. He threw strikes and he was impressive." Given an early lead on homers by Danny Tartallbull, Larry Owen and Frank White, Saberhagen settled down after giving up Boston's second run and getting out of a loaded-loaded jam in the third inning. Saberhagen pitched eight innings and allowed seven singles, including three by Wade Boggs and two by Don Baylon. He retired 11 batters in a row before letting Quinn jubbler mop up in the ninth. "I felt good and I threw some strikes," Saberhagen said. "When your team cuts loose, it makes it so much easier." In '185, Saberhagen won 20 games and helped lead the Royals to victory in the World Series. Last season, however, he was plagued by injuries and slipped to a 7-12 record. "I never got things going last year from day one in spring training," the 23-year-old right-hander said. "I'm healthy now and I plan on staving healthy." Tartabull, Kevin Seitzer, Hal McRae, Bo Jackson and Angel Salazar had two bits apiece as Kansas City ended a three-game losing streak with a 13-hit attack against Bruce Hurst, 2-1, and reliever Steve Crawford. Tartabull broke the drought by leading off the second with a homer high into the screen in left. Owen began a three-run third with a leadoff homer, his first in the American League. A single by Seitzer and White's home run high into the screen gave Kansas City a 4-1 lead. Every batter in Kansas City's starting lineup except Steve Balboni had at least one ht. The Royals, shut out 5-0 and 1-0 in a double-header at New York Sunday, had their scoreless string extended to 19 innings as Hurst retired the side in order in the first. The Royals shelled Hurst in the sixth on an RBI double by Jackson, a sacrifice fly by Owen and Seitzer's two-run triple off Crawford. Boston picked up a run in the first on a single by Boggs, a hit batsman and a single by Baylor. Singles by Boggs, Baylor, and Bill Buckner accounted for another run in the third. The game marked the 75th anniversary of the opening of Fenway Park. The Red Sox made their debut in Fenway on April 20, 1912, defeating the New York Highlanders 7-6 in 12 innings. The Associated Press BOSTON — Kansas City Royals third baseman George Brett was placed on the 15-day list yesterday with an injury to his right rib cage suffered in his first at bat at Yankee Stadium on Sunday. Brett seemed upset Sunday in New York after the Royals were swept by the Yankees, 5-0 and 1-0, and had only a few terse words for reporters. "If this thing is serious, I just might retire." Brett said as he headed for the team bus. "Hey, can you may call it quits. I don't need this." Brett, who was examined yesterday in Boston where the Royals faced the Red Sox, suffered a cartilage separation after fouling off the first pitch in the first game and losing New York Yankees' Charles Hudson. After suffering the injury, he was replaced by Juan Beniquez. George Brett Brett said Sunday he could be out three to four weeks, but Royals Manager Billy Gardner said it could be longer or shorter. "Maybe it'll be a five-day thing, but it doesn't look good right now," Gardner said. Tennis team swings by Bears 8-1 Staff writer Bv ROB KNAPP The Kansas men's tennis team began a week of preparation for the Big Eight Conference Tennis Championships by beating Southwest Missouri State 8-1 yesterday at the Allen Field House courts. The duel match was the last competition for the Jayhawks before they begin play in the conference championships, which begin Friday at the Oklahoma City Tennis Center in Oklahoma City, Oka. The Kansas women's team opens Big Eight championship play tomorrow in Oklahoma City. The Jayhawks' usual No. 4 and 5 singles players, Chris Walker and Larry Pascal, did not play in the match. Walker sat out with soreness in his shoulders and knees, and Pascal was sick. In the absence of Walker and Pascal, Kevin Brady moved up to the No. 4 spot, and Jim Secrest and Darin Herman entered the singles lineup. Brady's loss at No. 4 was the only Kansas setback of the afternoon, but Sven Greeneveld had to go three sets, including a 7-5 victory in the final set, before winning at No. 3 singles. "Sven was struggling a little." Perelman said. "At this point, it's just a lack of concentration. It's not the way we're hitting the ball." The match with Southwest Missouri State had originally been scheduled for March 10 but was postponed because of cold weather. After another attempt at rescheduling he met in person in which the other in which to play Perelman said it was important that Kansas got a chance to play the match Amy Rhoads/KANSAN The committee also selects the region member that moves on to the NCAA tournament, but Perelman said he thought that the region representative would probably be the winner of the Big Eight championship. He said that the committee would be responsible for picking the four singles players and two doubles teams that will advance to the NCAA championships. Pereman said senior Mike Wolf and the doubles team of Wolf and freshman Craig Widley were good bots to be selected for NCAA play, along with Olivier Lorin of Oklahoma. Kansas tennis player Mike Wolf returns a serve from a Southwestern Missouri State player. Wolf won his match in straight sets yesterday as the KU men's team cruised to an 8-1 victory over the Bears. "I think it's important he got to see some of our players." Pereulain said. Wichita State of the Missouri Valley Conference, the strongest contender in the region from outside the Big Eight, is 1-3 against Kansas and has also lost to Nebraska. Pere尔曼 and assistant coach Michael Center will travel with the women's team when it leaves tomorrow morning for Oklahoma City. Assistant coach Randy Rowley will work out with the men's squad until it leaves on Friday. The teams will practice this week at the Alvamar Racquet and Swim Club. The surface at Alvamar, slower than that of the field house courts, is close to what the teams will be playing on in Oklahoma City, Perelman said. Japan's Seko wins Boston Marathon 2nd-time winner pulls away from pack at Heartbreak HI The Associated Press For the 30-year-old Seko, the winner in 1981, the victory was his eighth in his last nine marathons. But his time of 2 hours, 11 minutes and 50 seconds was disappointing in view of the expected fast race. BOSTON — Japan's Toshiikho Seko broke away from the pack going up heartbreak Hill and won the Boston Marathon for the second time yesterday in a slowly paced race that was marred by two accidents. Meanwhile, 1984 Olympic bronze medalist Rosa Mota, running the Boston Marathon for the first time, was the first women's finisher, clocking 2:25:21, the third fastest ever by a woman in this race. She led all the women over who was threatened in posting her seventh victory in 10 marathons. Seko's so many marathon defeat since 1979, after he finished third in his first Boston Marathon, came in the 1984 Olympics at Los Angeles, where he finished 14th. The quality of the field, was considered one of the best, if not the best ever assembled in this 1917 running of the Boston Marathon. The competitors included defending champion Rob de Castella of Australia, ranked No. 2 in the world; Juma Ikangae of Tanzania, ranked No. 1; Steve Jones of Wales, ranked No. 1 in 1985 and the second-fastest marathoner in history; Olympic silver medalist John Treacy of Ireland; and two-time Boston Marathon winner Geoff Smith of England. When Seko, the world's fourth-ranked marathoner, made his decisive surge at the "killer" point of the race with about six miles to go, he was in command. He won by 47 seconds over Jones, who clocked in at 2:12:37. Wade was third in 2:12:42, and Dave Gorton of Eugene, Ore, was third. De Castella, who finished sixth, didn't have a promising start. Race officials were slow in getting the rope out of the way of the starters as the race was about to begin. De Castella tripped over the rope and tumbled, scrapping his hands and knees. After rolling over and nearly getting trampled by the 6.313 entrants, he got up quickly and resumed running. Another incident occurred shortly after the start of the wheelchair division, which began 15 minutes before the open competition. Four competitors lined, knocking two of the competitors out of the race with minor abrasions. In the open race, Ikangaa, Jones and Smith were expected to set a fast pace, but none made any attempt to After receiving the winner's laurel wreath, Seko said through an interpreter, "I was very anxious to establish a world record, but the headwind bothered me. That's why the race was so slow." Mota called her first place finish the finest moment of her career. Mota and Seko each earned $40,000 from the total purse of $347.00 for their first-place finishes. Both also will get a new car, valued at $131,000. Agnes Pardaens and Ria Van Landeghem, both of Belgium, finished second and third among the women, in 2:29:50 and 2:29:56, respectively. "I started slow. I felt good, so I ran a little faster and a little faster. After 30 kilometers, I tried to run fast," she said. Brewers tie major leage record with 13th win over White Sox The Associated Press CHICAGO — Paul Molitor doubled in the tying run with two outs in the seventh and scored on a single by Robin Yount, leading the Milwaukee American League The Brewers can break the record, set by the Atlanta Braves in 1982, against the White Sox tonight. Brewers to a 5-4 victory over the Chicago White Sox last night. The tying run set a major league record of 13 straight season-opening victories for the Brewers. But in the Milwaukee seventh, Bill Schroeder drew a walk and pinchrunner B.J. Surhoff took second as Jig Gantner grounded out. Dale Ivan Calderon doubled opening the Chicago fifth and came around on infield groundouts by Carlton Fisk and Greg Wagner. A double by Tim Hulett, a walk to Fred Manrique and an error by Nieves on Ozzie Gullen's crim. It was over for Nieves and struck out Ron Karkovice to end the inning. Brewer starter Juan Nieves, coming off a no-hitter, was knocked out in the fifth when the Sox took a 4-3 lead Sveum also bounced out before Molitor doubled in Surroff with the tying run. Molitor then scored on Yount's bloop single. See AMERICAN. n. 13, col. 5 Crim, 2-0. got the victory, while reliever Dan Plescame came on in the ninth to get his fifth save. NEW YORK — Don Mattingly celebrated his 26th birthday last night with a two-run homer, and Mike Pagliarulo and Claudel Washington also added two-run Yankees 8. Tigers 2 Three-run pinch homer in 7th caps late rally; Pirates win 9-6 The Associated Press PITTSBURGH — Mike Diaz's three-run pinch homer capped a four-run Pittsburgh seventh-inning National League rally, and Sid Sream honored twice as the Pirates beat New York 9-6 last night, ending their 15-game losing streak against the Mets. The loss was th fourth in a row for the defending world-champion Mets, who rallied from a 5-2 deficit with four runs in the top of the seventh. After Gary Carter's three-run Myers retired the next two batters but walked Mike LaValliere and Rafael Belliard and was replaced by Doug Sisk, 0-1. Diaz, batting for Jones, then homered. homer off reliever Barry Jones gave the Mets a 6-5 lead, Bream greeted reliever Randy Myers with a solo homer in the bottom of the inning. Logan Easley, 1-1, worked two scoreless innings and was credited for Reds 12. Padres 3 SAN DIEGO — Davis Parker homee- red and Ron Oester went 4-for-4 to 4 lead an 18-hit Cincinnati attack while Guy Hoffman held San Diego to two runs and seven hits in eight innings as the Reds trounced the Padres 12-3 last night. The victory was the Reds' 10th in 13 games, and the loss was the fourth straight and 12th in 14 games for the Padres. In the last two games, San Diego pitchers have allowed 21 runs and 34 hits. The Padres have allowed a league-leading 24 homers, 10 in the last five games. See NATIONAL, p. 13, col. 5 Manning must decide on future as NBA draft deadline nears More will be decided about the shape of Kansas' 1987-88 men's basketball team in the next few years, but that could happen in fall practice. Danny Manning must decide by May 8 whether he is going to make himself eligible for the NBA draft. Freshman recruits Antoine Lewis and Mike Masucci, rumored to be ineligible for their freshman year, will have their final chances to elude Proposition 48. Larry Brown's contract needs to be signed and the coaching staff needs to find a rebounder and get from the junior college ranks. The question of Manning's future at KU has received almost as much attention and media coverage as Brown's rumored travels to every NBA franchise from Los Angeles to New York. Everybody has an opinion. Brown says Danny will do what's best for Danny. Darnelle Manning, Danny's mom, says he'll stay in school and earn his degree. Ed Wilson, who plays football, he'll stay in school, in part, so he has a shot to play on the 1988 Olympic team. Only Danny Manning himself doesn't seem to have an answer about what's in his future. He answers the question about the same each time: "Right now, I just don't know." He could follow the lead of other collegiate stars, including Kansas State's Norris Coleman this year, and jump to the money, glamour and cruelty of pro basketball. Every college basketball team with a bona fide young star has to battle the lure of the NBA, and the results don't always turn out well for either party involved. Consider some of those players who left school early to be eligible for last year's NBA draft. Golden State's Chris Washburn has entered a drug treatment center. William Bedford has been granted immunity for his cooperation with police investigating a drug scandal in Phoenix, Walter Berry, the 1986 Player of the Year, had more injuries than points in Portland before being traded to San Antonio. The success stories, however, include the greatest names in the game today: Michael Jordan, "Magic" Johnson and Isiah Thomas. Manning would be in the media spotlight and a hero to fans before he played a single game. That same spotlight also means additional pressures and illuminates weaknesses that Manning has new skills in small-town Lawrence, Kansas. If Manning leaves, he will probably be the No. 2 pick in the draft behind Navy's David Robinson. In that position, Manning could name his price. And, depending on which player would become an instant celebrity. The extra year would allow his body to grow stronger. The pro schedule is grueling and Manning is still skinny by NBA standards. The arguments on both sides could go on and on. And speculation probably will too until May 8. He, of course, would improve if he played for the Jayhawks next season. He would also draw a crowd. But it's difficult even for an All-American to improve while constantly having to fight double-teaming. You can't play player and can't just get the ball down low and score. If he's mature enough to handle the pressures of instant fame, professional ball might be the right decision. But that also means he'll be getting big money and no degree. The pros tempt college players with fame and fortune. And then when those players are thrust alone onto the playing fields, the media and the fans can ride them until they break. New York Mets General Manager Frank Cashen said it well after Dwight Gooden had to report to a drug rehabilitation center for cocaine use. "The sudden fame and fortune he achieved was nice," said Cashen. "But we sort of robbed him of his youth."