One sigh fits all SUNRISE HILLS THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Details, page 2 Published since 1889 by the students of the University of Kansas Friday February 6, 1987 Vol. 97, No. 90 (USPS 650-640) Drivers say they saw Waite The Associated Press BEIRUT, Lebanon — Two taxi drivers said they saw missing hostage negotiator, Terry Waite, walking in a southern Beirut suburb yesterday with an escort of about 10 gunmen and four Shia Muslim sheiks. Waite, the 6-foot-7 Anglican Church envoy, was last seen by reporters Jan. 20 when he left the Riviera Hotel in west Beirut to meet the kidnappers Amcrues. Since then, Waite has not contacted the church or his family. The taxi drivers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they saw Waite walking with his escorts in a street close to the Lebanese capital's airport highway about 3 p.m. yesterday. "I saw him smiling and waving his hand to onlookers as he walked. He wore a gray raincoat," said one witness. "I stopped my taxicab to watch, but the escorts waved me away, shouting, 'Don't stop. Drive on.' I did." Another taxi driver said he saw Waite at the same time in the same process, smiling and waving his hands on lockers on the left side of the street. Both drivers work in the neighborhood of the Riviera Hotel, where Waite stayed between his arsenal and a hotel he called "La Cobra," when he time droned from sight, Jan. 20. Waite came to Beirut to try to win the freedom of foreign hostages. A total of 26 foreigners, including eight Americans, are missing and presumed kidnapped in Lebanon. Many are believed held by Shiite Muslim captors. "I haven't the slightest doubt about his identity. I know him and I saw him this afternoon," one driver said. "We're reports about Waite have appeared." The taxi drivers said that before Waite's disappearance, they had seen him frequently walking on the beach or traveling in a motorcade. In West Germany, the mass circulation newspaper Bild quoted unidentified "Beirut security circles" as saying Waite was shot and critically wounded after he tried to escape from captivity in Lebanon. The newspaper, in a report prepared for today's editions, did not say when the alleged shooting occurred or provide other details. Shite and Druse militia officials in Beirut scoffed at the newspaper report. "It's absolute fantasy," said one major official, who also spoke on concern. Also yesterday, police and military officials in Beirut renewed their denial of any U.S. military action anywhere in Lebanon, following rumors that U.S. Marines were landing to attack Shiite guerrillas. "We have had no report of any such attack anywhere in Lebanon, yet," a police official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity. The rumors were sparked by the presence of a flotilla of U.S. warships off Lebanon. Fred Sadowski/KANSAN Bunches of balloons Students release balloons from the east side of Allen Field House, beginning this year's fund-raising festivities for Students Against Multiple Sclerosis. More than 50 people braved cold weather to launch the balloons yesterday afternoon. See story page 8. Iran officials say journalist left Teheran From Kansan wires NICOSIA, Cyprus — Iranian officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said in telephone interviews last night from Nicosia that U.S. journalist Gerald F. Seib had left Teheran. Seib, who turns 31 today, is a Hays native and a 1978 KU graduate. He is a Middle East correspondent for the Journal and is based in Cairo, Egypt. Iranian airport officials in Teheran said early today that Seib was aboard Lufthansa airline Flight 601 to Frankfurt, which left the airport about 8:30 p.m. CST However, Tom Johnson of the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt said after the flight arrived that Seib was not on board. "As far as I know he was not on the airplane. Otherwise I would not be standing here empty-handed," he added. "I thought Seib would be on the plane." Other Iranian officials said they were not certain which flight Seib was on. They said Iran Air Flight 721 also left Teheran about 6 a.m. (8:30 p.m. Thursday CST) for Frankfurt, and he may have been on board. That flight was due in Frankfurt at 9:20 a.m. (2:20 a.m. CST). Dennis Farney, spokesman for the Journal at Seib's parents' home in Hays, said last night, "The situation here is that the Wall Street Journal is not confirming his release. We haven't been able to confirm that he's on any of the flights that he's supposed to be. "Until we can confirm with our own sources, we're not saying any thin- ness." Late last night, he said Seib's TV station for news about their 3D show. In the chapel at Thomas More-Prep-Marion, the Catholic high school Seib attended, a prayer vigil held in the chapel, a card adorned with a yellow ribbon. Blaine Burkey, a priest at the school and a former adviser for the school paper that Seib edited, said that one day this week as many as 50 people crowded the chapel to keep vigil for Seib. "I think that all along we've treated news about him with guarded optimism, and we won't be satisfied until we know he's actually out of Iran," Burkey said. Seib was arrested Saturday outside his Teheran hotel during a press tour sponsored by the Iranian government. Iran accused Seib of spying for Israel. The Iranian news agency said "spy of the Zionist regime" was arrested after entering the country with a false passport, disguised as a journalist. The Swiss Embassy in Teheran, which handles U.S. interests, refused to comment on Seib's whereabouts. Iran's ambassador to the United Nations, Said Rajai-Khorassani, said in New York late Wednesday that Seib had been turned over to the Swiss embassy. An announcement Wednesday by the Information Ministry said authorities decided to expel Sebi after judicial probe into his case ended. The official Islamic Republic News Agency, which reported the announcement, gave no details of the investigation or its findings, but Seib apparently was cleared of the allegations. Seib was in a group of 57 foreign journalists invited to visit the southern front in Iran's 6-year-old war with Iraq. Wednesday's announcement by the Information Ministry said Seib was "permanently banned from returning to Iran." An official of Iran's Information Ministry, reached by telephone in Teheran yesterday, said to蒋叶. "He has still not left, but will leave within the next 24 hours." The official spoke on condition of anonymity and would not elaborate, except to say, "No one can give you more information." Kansan reporter Joseph Rebello contributed information to this story. House OKs lottery; Senate approval expected Staff writer By JOHN BUZBEE Now it heads to the Senate as an odds-on favorite for quick approval. TOPEKA — When the numbers came in yesterday, the state lottery bill was a big winner in the Kansas House. "We've decided as a people to have a lottery," said State Rep. John Solbach, D-Lawrence. "We clearly need to get it implemented." The House passed the bill 107-15 with little discussion. It had been tentatively approved Wednesday. State Rep. Betty Jo Charlton, D-Lawrence, state senator; Dr. Franson, D-Lawrence, voted against the bill. Charlton said, "I am against, in principle, the state being engaged in an activity that is illegal for anyone else to do, whatever it is. killing people or running a gambling organization." Charlton also opposes the death penalty, which the House passed last week. Branson said she couldn't philosophically or morally support the lottery. militarily support the lottery. "I do not agree with the lottery as a way for it to generate revenue." Branson said. The lottery would exploit low-income people, she said. Voters in November approved a constitutional amendment permitting a lottery. Sixty-four percent of Kansas voters favored the proposal, including 67 percent of Douglas County voters. "I realized we were going to have a lottery." Charlton said. "I knew it was going to pass." Charlton said she opposed the lottery amendment in the Legislature last year but that it didn't cost her a seat. "You cannot go on the basis of polls for your votes because you cannot please everyone." she said. Solbach said he wasn't criticizing legislators who voted against the lottery. The lottery amendment includes a sunset clause, which would make the lottery subject to review after a trial period. "We're going to to try it for a few years," Solbach said. "If it isn't workable or there are problems with it, we can go ahead and look at the sunset." Solbach, Branson and Charlton all supported amendments that failed Wednesday. One would have reduced the percentage of lottery proceeds that could be used to run the lottery. "It would have made them operate on a smaller margin." Solbach said. The lottery bill will be amended when it is dismosed in the Senate, said State Sen. Edward Reilin. the Senate's Federal and State Affairs Committee, which will consider the bill in two or three weeks, he said. State Sen. Wint Winter Jr., R-Lawrence, said the bill probably would be tucked ahead of other officials on Wednesday. Neither Reilly nor Winter would predict how the bill might be amended in the Senate. The bill as now written would allocate 60 percent of the state's first-year lottery revenues for economic development. County reappraisals would get 30 percent and prisons would get 10 percent. Charlton said lottery money should not be used for programs such as education because those programs then could receive diminished financing from other sources. For instance, if voters knew lottery money was being used for education, they might be reluctant to approve local education bonds. Legislators say amendments could have deficient financing By CHRISTOPHER HINES Staff writer "All these bills will initially require some substantial state and private investment to get them off the ground, and I don't know, given the general decline of the state's economy, if there will be enough money," said State Rep. Robert H. Miller, R-Wellington, chairman of the House Federal and State Affairs Committee. When Kansas voters approved the three "sin amendments" in November's general election, they did so in hopes of improving the state's image and economy, but some legislators question whether those programs will have that effect. Miller's committee is responsible for studying, revising and hearing outside testimony on bills relating to the three amendments. However, since voters approved the amendments, all the bills must become law in one form or another, he said. The three sin amendments were liquor by the drink, lottery and parimutuel betting. The lottery will require about $4 million in state funds to start, but private investors will be responsible for introducing pari-mutuel betting into the state. State Sen. Wint Winter Jr., R-Lawrence, said that although Kansas voters had given their mandate, budget cuts would prevent legislators from effectively using many programs. However, substantial investments will be needed to build tracks, raise and breed racehorses and dogs, and organize events. Miller said. Even when the programs do start, Winter said, he fears tying essential state services to revenues generated in the cause of uncertainty of their success. "They are guesstimates on how "I'm wondering if there is that kind of private capital in Kansas," he said. "Private investment in other industries has not been that strong in recent years." "It like we're all warmed up and made to play, and then someone throws cold water." But State Sen. Edward Reilly, R-Leavenworth, chairman of the Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee, said the programs would make the state look more open, progressive and adaptable to change much they are going to bring in," he said. "It's a rotten way to raise money, here today, gone tomorrow." State Rep. Jessie Branson, D-Lawrence, said she worried that legislators might take money away from welfare and other social services to undertake the new programs. "We wanted to change the image of the state economically," he said. "It's a very competitive world out there." "We have a governor who is cutting other programs right and left," she said, starting these new programs when we start tight for money is not very wise. Miller said the Missouri lottery had not been as successful as predicted should serve to temper some people's expectations of the Kansas lottery. INSIDE A tangled web Manuel Pug, author of "Kiss of the Spiderwoman," doesn't like the movie that was based upon his book. See story page 3. Busy weekend The Kansas Jayhawks will try to extend their 44-game home winning streak tomorrow and Sunday. Kansas will play Oklahoma State tomorrow and Notre Dame on Sunday. See story page 13. Staff writer TOPEKA — A delegation of 25 KU students met with about 20 state legislators at the Kansas Statehouse yesterday to lobby for general fee release. Michelle Roberts, Senate executive secretary, said, "It's really easy to kid yourself when you're at home about the senators and representa- tives have to realize that they have many duties than fee release on their agenda." 25 KU students rally at Capitol to support fee release proposal The students, members of the Associated Students of Kansas and of the Student Senate, met with legislators from the House Appropriations and the Senate Ways and Means committees to relay student concern about the fee release proposal. The bill calls for the release of $853,418 in fees to the University of Kansas this year. The amount represents 75 percent of $1.5 million in fees generated from a 1,200-student enrollment increase this year. Martie Aaron, campus director of ASK, said many legislators thought most students were out to make a buck and were only concerned with themselves and their immediate futures. Each year, the Legislature allocates money to the University based on enrollment predictions. When enrollment exceeds those predictions, as KU's has, the state receives the extra money. Aaron said the fact that so many students were willing to go to Topeka to speak to legislators illustrated how concerned students were for the University. Aaron said the response the students received from most of the legislators was positive. There were a few exceptions. State Rep. Sandy Duncan, R-Wichita, has a sign on his desk that reads See HAYDEN, p. 6, col. 3