Thursday March 31, 1988 THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Published since 1889 by the students of the University of Kansas Vol. 98, No.124 (USPS 650-640) Student body leader vows to veto budget amended by Senate Krakow objects for $1,600 for Crew By Jeff Moberg Kansan staff writer Student body president Jason Krakow last night vowed to veto any budget that contained additional money for the KU Crew. "If this is the only capital expenditure request made, I don't think it's a sound budget and I veto it," Krakow said during a special budget session of Student Senate. "It's not consistent." Senate last night amended the Senate Finance Committee's proposed budget and voted to give KU Crew an additional $1,600 to buy a set of eight oars. The committee's original recommendation called for KU Crew to receive $7,875. Krakow said it would not be fair to other student organizations to give only the crew team money for capital expenses. Krakow also objected to KU Crew's request for more equipment so soon. Last year, Senate paid for $1,520 in new KU Crew equipment, including a new racing shell. Krakow said that after that, members of KU Crew told Senate they were satisfied and would not ask for more equipment this year. "Obviously, that was not the case," Krakow said. "I thought they would stick to what they said last year with a good faith agreement." Earlier in the evening, John Cissel, liberal arts senator, made a motion to restore a request from KU Crew that would have used Senate money to buy a four-man shell costing $8.200. This request was denied by the Finance Committee during a brief meeting. Thetee was hesitant to finance any large expenditure unless it was necessary for a group's survival. Cissell said that KU Crew deserved the new shell as well as the set of oars. "They not only bring good times and an education, but they bring recognition to the University," he said. David Brandt, KU Crew captain, said that the club needed the new shell to replace old ones. He also said that he thought KU Crew told Senate last spring it would not ask for new equipment until now. "I think it was a misunderstanding," Brandt said. "Hopefully, it can all be cleared up. Glenn Shirtliffe, Finance Committee chairman, said that the Senate should not finance the shell because of the cost and because KU Crew needed to plan for future expenditures. "If this goes through, they are going to walk out of here with one-fourth of the budget," Shriftte said. "They really have some problem with that." Roger Templin, Nunemaker senator, noted the amount of money KU Crew had received in the past. "We do have a fixed amount of money and there will be future requests," Templin said. "The question for this body to decide is whether they want to spend that much on one organization, especially with the large amounts we've spent in the past." By 10:30 p.m. yesterday, the Senate had considered only eight of the 38 groups being recommended for financing by the Senate finance committee. Stephanie Quincy, student body vice president, said the entire budget would be considered before adjournment. Iran-contra papers show Bush briefed about deal The Associated Press WASHINGTON — A handwritten note among documents released yesterday by the congressional Iran-commissioned offers new evidence that Cabinet-level opposition to the Iran arms deal was on the agenda of a January 1986 meeting attended by Vice President George Bush. The vice president has maintained that he was not aware of the concerns of then-Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger and Secretary of State George Shultz until much later. Among documents released yesterday was an agenda pennaed by then-National Security Adviser John Poindexter for his Jan. 17, 1866, briefing of President Reagan and Bush. It includes an item that states, "Shultz Had he been aware of their objections, Bush has said, he might have advised the president against the sale. "When you don't know something, it's hard to react. We were not in the loop." Bush said in August. Documents released yesterday include an agenda penned by then-National Security Adviser John Poindexter for his Jan. 17, 1986 briefing of President Reagan and Vice President Bush. It includes an item that states, "Shultz & Weinberger still recommend against. and Weinberger still recommend against." The agenda also states that Attorney General Edwin Meese III and the late CIA Director William Casey approved, and it lists a new finding: a document to authorize the covert arms sales. Reagan signed the document that day. The scrawled, 26-word agenda is marked "Done" at the top. Bush in January said of the meeting, "The president may have signed a finding, but there was no discussion of a finding in front of me. I do not recall any suggestion of a finding that day." Bush maintains that specific details were not discussed in the briefing, which he considered to be an informal session, the Washington Post reported today, citing an unidentified aide to the vice president. The newspaper noted that a memo released earlier and relating to the same meeting stated, "The secretaries do not recommend you proceed with this plan." That memo, prepared for the president, carried an order to send the secretary a briefed verbally and that Bush was among those present. Poindexter is among those under indictment in the Iran-contra affair. Rowin' in the sun A women's crew team practices in the early morning sunlight. KU Weather Service is calling for a high of 62 degrees today with a chance of showers and thunderstorms. 4 killed on Palestinian anniversary The Associated Press BEIT SAHUR, Occupied West Bank — Hundreds of Arabs defied a massive security crackdown and battled Israeli troops in the West Bank yesterday to mark Land Day, a Palestinian anniversary. Soldiers killed four Arabs and wounded 39 others, officials said. quiet," West Bank commander Maj. Gen. Avraham Mitzna said. "It was not." The army's toughest restrictions in more than 20 years of occupation failed to contain the violence. The measures included mass arrests, the deployment of thousands of extra police, restrictions on media coverage and a ban on Palestinians traveling in occupied areas. Land Day commemorates a confrontation that occurred on March 30, 1976, when Israeli Arabs protested the forced sale of 1,600 acres of their land for Jewish settlement. Six Arabs were killed. 'We can't say that Land Day was Yesterday's fatalities brought the Arab death toll to 123 since the unrest began Dec. 8, according to U.N. figures. One Israeli soldier also has The General Union of Palestinian Students at the University of Kansas sponsored a cultural exhibition yesterday at the Kansas Union to observe Land Day Khalid Najib, president of the group, said that the purpose of the exhibit was to show the American people that Palestinians are a people who are proud of their heritage and customs. Najib's family was forced to leave the West Bank in 1948. The group also sponsored a demonstration yesterday. Najib said that approximately 40 students participated in a peaceful march from the Kansas Union to Strong Hall and back. Kansan reporter Kateleen Faddis contributed information to this story. Apple takes bite out of area sales By David Sodamann Kansan staff writer Truckloads of Apples arriving on campus today are causing bushels of headaches for Lawrence businesses. "My retail business is down 60 percent," said Myles Schachter, owner of the Connecting Point Computer Center. 804 New Hamshire St. Center, 804 New Hampshire Ave. The Apples on the trucks are Macintosh computers made by Apple Computer Inc. They were ordered by KU students, faculty and staff who took advantage of a special sale of the computers that ended yesterday at the Burge Union branch of the KU Bookstore. The sale was heavily advertised. Those taking advantage of the sale were able to buy Apple computers at savings of as much as $1,000 off normal retail prices. About 300 Macintoshs were ordered. Schachter said most of the store's retail sales typically were university-related. He attributed the recent drop in sales to the Bookstore's computer sale. "It has taken us out of the Apple business, period," Smucker said. Smucker said he had stopped carrying Apple computers in the first week of February, about the same time the KU sale began. Smucker said computers could be sold to students through authorized retail dealers at or near the same prices offered by the Bookstores, but with the added bonus of support and service after the sale. Schacter said he and Ted Briscoe, the Apple salesman handling the KU sale, unsuccessfully had discussed the University work with a dealer. Al Smucker, owner of the Computerland stores in Lawrence and Topeka, is also concerned about the Bookstore's Apple sale. Kathleen Dixon, a spokesman for Apple's Higher Education Purchase Programs at the California headquarters, did discuss university sales. Briscoe refused to comment about the Apple sale at KU. "I have to admit there are some items that make me happy with the program," Dixon says. But Mike Reid, manager of KU Bookstores, said that selling the computers through off-campus dealers was not an available option for KU. He said Lawrence did not have an Apple retail outlet at the time. a local retail dealer to handle the sales, she said. The University chose to sell the computers through the Bookstore. KU had the option of choosing to sell Apple computers directly to students and faculty, or of permitting "Apple set this program up for us," Reid said. "Apple made this available to benefit students and faculty. We took advantage of this. We were just trying to provide a service." Apple Macintosh Plus computers were sold at a sale price of $1,200 by the Bookstores. Apple recently cut When the on-campus sale began, at about the same time Computerland here dropped the Apple product line, the computers were selling for $2.199 in Lawrence. The retail price cut had no effect on KU's sale prices, Dixon said. Smucker said he would like to open a dialogue with KU to discuss ways the University and the Lawrence business community could work together. He also would like to discuss with the University how marketing decisions are made. Macintoshes arrive at the Burge Union They're here. Macintosh computers ordered through a special KU promotion arrived yesterday at the Burge Union. Those who ordered computers may pick them up today. Apple Inc. devised a program that made it possible for the University of Kansas to offer Macintoshes for about $1,000 less than the retail price. Apple has offered the same program at about 100 other universi- The program was to benefit KU students, faculty and staff, said Mike Reid, general manager of Kansas Union Bookstores. About 300 orders were placed through the bookstores. By a Kansan reporter the list price of the Mac Plus by 18 percent. They retail price is now $1,699. ties across the country. The University of Minnesota in Duluth, Minn., and Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., had such a program available. A large portion of the Lawrence community wants to buy Apple computers and services, Smucker said. "The goal of Apple was to get their products in as many people's hands as possible." Reid said. The bookstore personnel are also trained to help people with questions, Reid said. Employees at the bookstore have been to a training center in St. Louis, which is one of the regional distributors of the computers. As people pick up their computers today, Apple representatives will be available to answer questions about their products, Reid said. "But they want to buy the products at university prices," he said. Those buying Apple computers through the Bookstore are getting them at 10 to 15 percent below dealers' costs, Smucker said. Retail dealers can't match the price and still make a profit. "Students have the privilege of buying the product at a lower price than I do." Smucker said, "even though I've bought millions of dollars worth already." When the Bookstore advertises computers at such low prices, Smucker said, it creates the perception in buyers' minds that retail dealers are trying to rip off their customers. Reid said there had been interest in the Bookstore's sale among many outside the KU community, but the See MACINTOSH, p. 6, col. 1 Swaggart plans to defy year-long pulpit ban The Associated Press BATON ROUGE, La. Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart plans to resume preaching three months after he tearfully confessed to sin, his lawyer said yesterday. The move would defy the suspension by his church and could lead to his dismissal. The date coincides with the end of a three-month suspension by the church's Louisiana council. The national church's General Presbytery on Tuesday overruled that term as too lenient and ordered an extension at least year under two years of rehabilitation and counseling. Swaggart, an Assemblies of God minister who stepped down from the pulpit Feb. 21, will return May 22, said Bill Treeby, a lawyer for Swaggart and a board member of Jimmy Swaggart World Ministries. "He is willing to submit himself to the Louisiana District," said Treeby. "He will be considering an appeal to the national Presbyter." Although the fiery preacher did not specify his sins, a prostitute has said Swaggart paid her to pose nude. "We have an issue involving the constitution and by laws of this organization," said Treeby, noting there was a conflict over whether the national presbytery or the Louisiana council had the right to discipline ministers. Treeby said that the national Presbytery might dismiss Swaggart from the denation if he resumed preaching May 22 but that Swaggart could appeal that. Juleen Turnage, a spokeswoman for the national office of the Assemblies of God in Springfield, Mo., said Swaggart's option to return after three months "does not exist anymore." "The General Presbytery overwhelmingly and without a dissenting vote affirmed the authority of the Executive Presbytery to make decisions on matters concerning ministerial credentials," she said yesterday. Although the 13-member Executive Presbytery, which acts as the church board of directors, interrupted its regular bimonthly meeting to watch Treebry's televised news conference, "We don't consider that we've heard from Jimmy Swaggart, because we don't communicate through television news conferences with our disciplined ministers," Turnage said. The Rev. G. Raymond Carlson, the Assemblies' general superintendent, said Tuesday that if Swagard did not accept its ruling, the Executive Presbytery would not take action to dismiss him." Asked if Swaggart had considered leaving the Assemblies, Treeby said, "He is considering the possibility of an appeal.