THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN Friday March 11, 1988 Vol. 98, No. 115 (USPS 650-640) Published since 1889 by the students of the University of Kansas Dole scales back campaign Senator lavs off much of staff, pulls TV ads in Illinois The Associated Press WASHINGTON — Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole pulled television commercials off the air in Illinois and laid off more than half his staff yesterday, and a source said his campaign advisers were discussing whether he should drop out of the presidential race. Dole's campaign was reeling from its dismal showing on Super Tuesday. However, national campaign spokesman Dale Tate said that Dole intended to remain a candidate and would continue campaigning for Tuesday's Illinois primary. "We're not pulling the plug on the campaign," he said. The senator is going to be the one. But a Dole campaign aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that campaign officials were discussing whether Dole should continue to pursue his campaign through Illinois, recognizing that his prospects for winning the nomination were growing increasingly remote. Tate said that more than half of the campaign's 300 staffers were being laid off. Many were still getting the word yesterday evening. Word of the cutbacks came as Dole continued to campaign in Illinois, a state he said on Wednesday that he had to win. He appeared yesterday to back away from that contention, and said instead that he hoped to "do very well" in the state. He dismissed questions from reporters on whether he was scaling down his expectations in the state. At one point, he addressed the possibility of dropping out, saying, "I've been in this business long enough to know that there comes a time you have to say, 'Well, maybe it would happen.' As Dole campaigned in Illinois, the television ads that he began airing in the state last weekend were halted. Tate said the move was made to give the campaign time to reassess its television plans in Illinois. She said money was not the problem because the ads already had been paid for. The campaign might use the money to buy one or more large blocks of airtime. Tate declined to say who among the national staff was being let go. "It is significant," she said of the layoffs. "It ranges from the top to the bottom." Some of the layoffs had been planned for the period following Super Tuesday regarding 500 positions. Kemp withdraws from race; Hart to follow, sources say The Associated Press Jack Kemp ended his Republican presidential campaign yesterday at a Capitol Hill news conference, and Gary Hart has scheduled a news conference for today during which sources say he also will drop out of the race. Kemp, whose campaign as the true conservative heir to Ronald Reagan never caught on with voters, endorsed no candidate. said. However, Kemp did hint that he would welcome the No. 2 spot on the presidential ticket. "They're all Reagan conservatives," he said. Kemp entered the race in April 1987 after years of positioning himself as the candidate of the Republican right wing. Kemp said Bush had won Reagan's Republic constitency. "We were competing for the Reagan wing of the Republican Party, and he won." Kemp said. Hart, a former Colorado senator, attracted no more than 5 percent of the vote in the Super Tuesday primaries and won no convention delegates. The Federal Election Commission announced Wednesday that he was eligible for federal match funds. His departure from the race, expected to be announced at a news conference this morning in Denver, will mark his second departure from the 1988 Democratic race. Forum planners to pay one-fifth of security costs Sources speaking only on condition of anonymity said Hart would not endorse any of the remaining contenders. By Ric Brack Kansan staff writer Even though the cost of security for Monday's free speech forum was more than $15,000, the organizers of the event will pay only about one-fifth of that total, KU police officials said. "We'll stick with the original agreement," said Jim Denney, director of KU police. That original agreement was for a maximum security cost of $450 an hour, overtime wages for the entire 33-person KU police force. Denney said state, local and county taxpayers would pay the balance of the cost for the additional law enforcement officers. Slightly Older Americans for Freedom, the group that organized the forum, will be billed for about five hours of security at a rate of $450 an hour. The total bill of $2,927 also will include the costs of buses and drivers, food for the officers, film and other equipment, Denney said. "I think you could very easily approach $19,000," Denney said. but, when the cost of the 87 officers from other agencies are added to the cost of about 250 hours of planning time, the total is $15.757. Denney said that the total would be even higher if it had included costs for other items, such as gasoline that Kansas Highway Patrol troopers used to get to Lawrence, wear and tear on equipment, and repair of damaged equipment. Additional costs usually are absorbed by the taxpayers of the cities that provide additional officers, Denney said, but because security costs had been an issue during the event's planning, other law enforcement agencies might bill either the forum organizers or the University of Kansas. Michael Foubert, who organized the forum, said he would not comment on security costs until he had received a copy of the bill. But he said that his organization would honor its commitment to pay its share of security costs. He said he might try to raise funds through donations or request that Student Senate help pay the bill. From a security standpoint, Denney said, the event was the largest since former President Gerald Ford visited the campus in 1978. The security force for that event numbered 130. About five people began planning security Feb. 29, as soon as KU police heard that the forum was going to take place. Denney said. "We didn't know it was going to happen until we read about it in the Kansan 9:30 Monday morning," Dennev said. He said that demonstrations and protests added an element of uncertainty to planning because police couldn't predict whether the protesters would remain peaceful or whether groups other than those announced in advance would join in the protests. "It's hard to plan in an evolving situation," Denney said. "I try to estimate what it's going to require in stages, then make an estimate of how many (officers) we'd need," Denney said. After that estimation was made, he began negotiations for officers from area law enforcement agencies. Also during planning, the site of the forum was moved from Woodruff Auditorium of the Kansas Union to a new location for the security problems with the Union. Denney said that the planning was done in stages as the requirements continued to change. Denney said that negotiation process occurred five times. The result was that officers from the Lawrence Police Department, Douglas County Sheriff's office, Kansas Highway Patrol and the Overland Park Park Department also were included in the security force. Governor's letter helps end protest By Jeff Suggs Kansan staff writer A Lawrence man ended his hunger strike after receiving a letter from Gov. Mike Hayden yesterday. Paula Clevenger, a spokesman for Markham, said Hayden had expressed interest in Markham's concern about the SRS but couldn't guarantee solutions to the problem. Markham was pleased with the governor's message. The man, Fred Markham, began eating at 2:30 p.m. yesterday after being on a hunger strike since March 4. Markham, who has cerebral palsy, was protesting what he said was inadequate care by the Kansas Social and Rehabilitation Services. Markham went on the hunger strike because the SRS had stopped a local woman's health care services, Cleverman said. The woman, Dana Wray, a quadriplegic, her services had been cut off March 3 and 4. "He is very happy," Clevenger said. "This is just one battle won. The war is not over." This is just one battle won. The war is not over.' Jan Allen, commissioner of adult services for SRS, said the services to Wray were cut off because of a misunderstanding. Wray had been in the hospital and SRS didn't know when to start care for her when she returned home. Allen said Wray's services were not cut off intentionally and she currently was receiving care. Paula Clevenger spokesman for Fred Markham Wray, whose roommate cared for her the two days SRS didn't come out, said she was upset about the problem. "That's a pretty severe lack of communication when it includes your ability to even get out of bed." Wray said. Wray said she was supportive of Markham's hunger strike. "It concerned me a little bit, because the flu has been going around," she said. "But I was very supportive." Find the way Geology 101 students practice using a brunton compass. Chris Jump, second from left, a teaching assistant, decided to take advantage of the good weather yesterday to teach her students how to use the instrument. From left: Becky Swanson, Overland Park senior; Jump; Greg Kamen, Highland Park, Ill., sophomore; and Lisa Hockenberry, Kansas City, Kan., freshman. FBI agent explains investigations Library inquiry different from alleged CISPES surveillance By Donna Stokes and Dayana Yochim Kansan staff writers An FBI agent spoke to about 50 people yesterday at Green Hall to clarify the agency's purpose and some misconceptions he thought were voiced by a protest during a recruitment campaign last week. "I'd like to address some issues that have been hot and heavy over here, such as the FBI's visit to the library in this building," said Special Agent Max Geiman. He said the January investigation of a KU library patron was separate from the FBI's interest in the Compton case, and the People of El Salvador (CISPEs). reasonable indication at the very least, that someone is planning to or has violated a statute," he said. The library patron was under investigation for a threat to human life Geiman said. "In order to investigate an individual, we have to have a basis, a He said that many of the cases of concern to the audience were still under investigation or involved classified information that he could not disclose. Geiman said he wanted the audience to understand the FBI's purpose, which had changed in the past 20 years. He said the FBI had moved into investigating white-collar crimes and public corruption such as the misuse of government funds. Geiman's talk received mixed reactions from the audience. Dave Hansen, first-year law student, said he didn't think the library investigation was unethical. "I think it was a clever investigative tactic to go to the library to find if the individual had read a certain document. There is nothing wrong in asking, " he said. Geiman said that it wasn't illegal to ask questions and that the librarians were not required to answer. But Dwaine Hemphill, third-year law student, disagreed. "They have to be aware of the chilling effect of flashing an FBI badge to a librarian," Hemphill said. "They're taking an intimidating stance, and this illustrates their insensitivity." Hemphill also said he thought Geiman's talk was superficial. "He spent a half hour talking about things we didn't want to know about," Hemphill said. "I was outraged by his flippant attitude and his complete insensitivity to the issues. "I wanted to ask him if you have to give up all conscientiousness and ideals to become an FBI agent," he said. Geiman spoke for 30 minutes of the one-hour lecture, limiting the amount of time available for questions. He said that there was not adequate time to cover all issues but that he would be willing to return if asked. Some audience members associated with Latin American Solidarity expressed concern about the illiteracy surveillance of members of CISPS. "We did not interview students or put any students under surveillance on this campus concerning that matter." Geiman said. Other audience members were pleased that Geiman made the effort to come to Lawrence. "I thought it was very gracious of the FBI to have someone available to answer our questions. He wouldn't have come if he didn't realize how important it was to the campus community." Hansen said. Parties split on raising minimum wage House Democrats want greater hike The Associated Press WASHINGTON - An increase in the federal minimum wage from $3.35 to $5.05 an hour was tentatively approved yesterday by the House Education and Labor Committee. The original bill before the committee called for an increase of 50 cents in 1989, 40 cents in 1990 and 40 cents in 1991 to $4.65. The committee voted 18-14 to adopt an amendment by Rep. Carl C. Perkins, D-Ky., which would add a charge in the fourth year, on Dec. 31, 2019. The full committee was unable to take action on all the pending amendments and will continue debate on the bill next week. The Senate has a companion bill, sponsored by Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass, chairman of the Labor and Human Resources Committee, which would raise the minimum wage to $4.65 over a three-year period. The Perkins amendment was approved essentially along party lines except that two Democrats, Reps. Austin J. Murphy of Pennsylvania and Timothy J. Penny of Minnesota, joined the Republicans in opposing the proposal. Murphy is chairman of the House labor standards subcommittee, which had approved an increase to $4.65. He said that legislation was "crafted so that it will be accepted by the full House and the executive branch. If we accept this (Perkins) proposal, it will not be accepted." Rep. Stephen J. Solarz, D.N.Y. read from a letter written by Labor "So it doesn't matter what we do; the executive will be against it," Solarz said. Secretary Ann McLaughlin, who said senior White House advisers would recommend to President Reagan that he veto any legislation increasing the minimum wage. The House committee also voted 20-13 on an amendment by Rep. Tommy F. Robinson, D-Dark., to increase the "tip credit" for restaurant workers. Current law allows employers of workers who regularly receive tips, such as waiters and waitresses, to count the tips as earned wages equivalent to 40 percent of the minimum wage. Thus, a restaurant owner could pay a worker $2.01 an hour, with the remaining $1.34 — 40 percent of today's $3.35-an-hour minimum wage — coming from tips. Under the Robinson amendment, the tip minimum would be raised to 50 percent of the minimum. Thus, if the minimum wage were increased to $5.05 an hour, an employer could pay a $2.52 hourly wage, with the other $2.52 coming from tips. The biggest argument of the session came over the amendment by Perkins, who said his proposal "does not go far enough, but it is a start." "It gives the American worker some level of decency," Perkins said. The Kansan will not publish during Spring Break. The Kansan will resume publication on March 21.